Kentucky vs Tennessee on ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kentucky vs Tennessee on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Remember UT is still playing without massengAle, arguably their bedtime player and as the pg, the most important. Carter has done a stellar job in her place, but she is not of the same quality.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
pap49cba said:
Oh boy.... Another Margo hyper-rant is coming!!!! :p

If you find her post-UK video, please link ..!!

:) :) :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Remember UT is still playing without massengAle, arguably their bedtime player and as the pg, the most important. Carter has done a stellar job in her place, but she is not of the same quality.
Fair enough. But UCONN was without KML and Tuck when they stomped top 10 teams PSU and Maryland. We are now without Tuck for the rest of the year, KML is out for a while, and Banks got about 1 minute in the game today. My point is, UCONN is now without 1 AA, their 1st player off the bench, started a freshman and 2 sophomores, and has 1 scholarship bench player for the moment...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Remember UT is still playing without massengAle, arguably their bedtime player .

Is this a typo, or is there some sports analogy I haven't heard?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tenn with all that talent and height loses again. Poor guard play, poor ball handeling and poor defense. For those asking about UConns bench. Tenn has a very good bench and what does it prove.

Jim

Reaction Score
Tenn with all that talent and height loses again. Poor guard play, poor ball handeling and poor defense. For those asking about UConns bench. Tenn has a very good bench and what does it prove.
That the Tenn starters can miss a lot of shots and not get tired?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Kara mentioned the other day that Carter is a much more fundamentally sound PG than Massengale who if you consider her HS credentials is one of the busts of the year, injuries or not.

Finally someone is looking to feed the posts for easy shots.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
. And no all-time great like Chamique Holdsclaw, either.

Very true. We just don't have that "clutch" player and we haven't since CP3. I still think coaching has a lot to do with our issues this year. I mean a preseason ranking of #3 and look where we are at now. We brought in a couple of recruits who I thought would really contribute and make us better this year, but sadly that's not the case. Burdick has been quite of a disappointment in my mind..she had a couple of games where she finally decided to open it up a little and shoot some threes. She's basically still one dimensional on the offensive side. She is a good rebounder though, but was she worthy of being one of the top 3 rated players in her class? I just think she was a bit overranked, or you could blame the coaches for not coaching her up and making her a better player at the college level. I hope this doesn't happen with Russell as well..

I went to the game today and we had 15000 plus in attendance. My brother even came and he isn't even a big Lady Vol fan, but he still wanted to show his support. He is a fan of the men's team, but their not exactly world beaters either lol. It's just a major let down that we can have such a huge fan presence and the team lays a stinker. They didn't play good defense, and I thought the coaching was sub par..These are two things that have been frequent problems for our team.

What I can appreciate about Geno coached teams is he expects accountability and he recruits players who fit well into his system. Maybe I'm being to hard on Holly...this is only her second year. Maybe she needs more time to get comfortable in the role of a head coach. I hope we can come around and once again be an elite team and not go the way of La Tech, Texas, Texas Tech and Old Dom. I think us being in the SEC really helps keep us relevant, but if Holly starts losing the recruits, we are in big big trouble..Ok sorry about the rant, but it's been a rough day lol..Good luck though Huskies, I think an undefeated UConn and and undefeated ND playing for a national championship would be one he ll of a game to watch

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

You nailed it Tony, and I would add poor coaching as well

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Oh boy.... Another Margo hyper-rant is coming!!!! :p

Haha she is quite entertaining isn't she. She might make one heck of a coach though..she brings up good points

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
In their prior four games TN hit:

• [ ]7 threes against ARKANSAS
    [ ]7 threes against Alabama
    [ ]7 threes against Ole Miss
    [ ]7 threes against VANDERBILT

So today they hit...one?

You bring up a good point Phil..Why didn't our coaches draw up more three point shots?? Kentucky had several and set them up quite nicely I might add...I guess our coaches were to concerned about getting it inside and forgetting the three point shot..

Reaction Score
Very true. We just don't have that "clutch" player and we haven't since CP3. I still think coaching has a lot to do with our issues this year. I mean a preseason ranking of #3 and look where we are at now. We brought in a couple of recruits who I thought would really contribute and make us better this year, but sadly that's not the case. Burdick has been quite of a disappointment in my mind..she had a couple of games where she finally decided to open it up a little and shoot some threes. She's basically still one dimensional on the offensive side. She is a good rebounder though, but was she worthy of being one of the top 3 rated players in her class? I just think she was a bit overranked, or you could blame the coaches for not coaching her up and making her a better player at the college level. I hope this doesn't happen with Russell as well..

I went to the game today and we had 15000 plus in attendance. My brother even came and he isn't even a big Lady Vol fan, but he still wanted to show his support. He is a fan of the men's team, but their not exactly world beaters either lol. It's just a major let down that we can have such a huge fan presence and the team lays a stinker. They didn't play good defense, and I thought the coaching was sub par..These are two things that have been frequent problems for our team.

What I can appreciate about Geno coached teams is he expects accountability and he recruits players who fit well into his system. Maybe I'm being to hard on Holly...this is only her second year. Maybe she needs more time to get comfortable in the role of a head coach. I hope we can come around and once again be an elite team and not go the way of La Tech, Texas, Texas Tech and Old Dom. I think us being in the SEC really helps keep us relevant, but if Holly starts losing the recruits, we are in big big trouble..Ok sorry about the rant, but it's been a rough day lol..Good luck though Huskies, I think an undefeated UConn and and undefeated ND playing for a national championship would be one he ll of a game to watch

Thanks BP4 for for sharing your perspective

Reaction Score
I have returned since early in the game when I commented that this is not "Top 10" basketball.... To answer someones question re: who is in my top 10, I would put UConn and ND there .... playing well, and least acceptably every night..... but everyone else is an also-ran in my book..... the rest are sometimes spectacular but frequently annoyingly average, and not worthy of top 10 status..... Stanford looks great when Chiney is humming, and her teammates can spin off her energy and production.. even UT can look wonderful as they did 1st half vs ND when shooting was white hot and they could parlay that into an incredible energy.... they even played superb game last year vs KY..... Duke can look formidable when their talent locks in like a jigsaw puzzle.... BU looks good when they perform as they did with us - even netting out (excuse the pun) the 4 for 25 from O Sims.....

But this game today should have been a showcase of and for the game..... #8 vs #18..... I expected to see a better played game than I saw today..... missed easy shots.... bad defense, shooters left wide open..... lack of offensive flow forcing individual action..... lack of flow and missed opportunities in the transition game..... to me it was just disappointing... is not an isolated case though.... there is just an immense lack of depth in WCBB..... just the way it is..... if I was watching men's game 8 vs 18, and I was watching (am not looking at rankings) say..... Florida vs Xavier..... I know I wouldn't see the lack of fundamentals, the missed bunny layups, etc... my favorite saying that means nothing.... "It is what it is"..... WCBB is relatively new in a historical sense.... and I love the game..... of course I love our Huskies..... but when I see a 2nd tier game, as this was, I long for the day when the pre-game excitement will be matched by the viewing pleasure..... 8 vs. 18 in WCBB should be accompanied by a solid display of the fundamentals..... didn't see that today.... and again, this is not unusual in WCBB .... not an abberration..... I expect a lot of disagreement on this..... but it is just my opinion.....

As a related thought and admitted tangent....did you see that part of our game today when .... after a made UC basket..... the ball was inbounded and as everyone turned and ran down the floor.... but the inbounds pass was fumbled..... MoJeff I think it was...... turned around, took note, and retreated back towards ball..... dove at it, and got the "held ball" alternate possession..... a hustle play, a heart play, a play I would like to see as commonplace in WCBB..... Thank heaven for our coaching staff and our coaches.....

Reaction Score
yup Im all over the place
Great day for WCBB, close games on the national network. NC vs NC State, great game, same with Ktuck vs Tenn. Watched them both, the second while our girls were on the radio as I do not get CBSSN. Checked in on Daytona qualifying along the way also. New bathroom counter installed during time outs and advertisements. Took down destroyed mail box and shield and prepped a new one. Spouse happy, mostly about the counter top.
Great day for sports and being all over the place!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have returned since early in the game when I commented that this is not "Top 10" basketball.... To answer someones question re: who is in my top 10, I would put UConn and ND there .... playing well, and least acceptably every night..... but everyone else is an also-ran in my book..... the rest are sometimes spectacular but frequently annoyingly average, and not worthy of top 10 status..... Stanford looks great when Chiney is humming, and her teammates can spin off her energy and production.. even UT can look wonderful as they did 1st half vs ND when shooting was white hot and they could parlay that into an incredible energy.... they even played superb game last year vs KY..... Duke can look formidable when their talent locks in like a jigsaw puzzle.... BU looks good when they perform as they did with us - even netting out (excuse the pun) the 4 for 25 from O Sims.....

But this game today should have been a showcase of and for the game..... #8 vs #18..... I expected to see a better played game than I saw today..... missed easy shots.... bad defense, shooters left wide open..... lack of offensive flow forcing individual action..... lack of flow and missed opportunities in the transition game..... to me it was just disappointing... is not an isolated case though.... there is just an immense lack of depth in WCBB..... just the way it is..... if I was watching men's game 8 vs 18, and I was watching (am not looking at rankings) say..... Florida vs Xavier..... I know I wouldn't see the lack of fundamentals, the missed bunny layups, etc... my favorite saying that means nothing.... "It is what it is"..... WCBB is relatively new in a historical sense.... and I love the game..... of course I love our Huskies..... but when I see a 2nd tier game, as this was, I long for the day when the pre-game excitement will be matched by the viewing pleasure..... 8 vs. 18 in WCBB should be accompanied by a solid display of the fundamentals..... didn't see that today.... and again, this is not unusual in WCBB .... not an abberration..... I expect a lot of disagreement on this..... but it is just my opinion.....

As a related thought and admitted tangent....did you see that part of our game today when .... after a made UC basket..... the ball was inbounded and as everyone turned and ran down the floor.... but the inbounds pass was fumbled..... MoJeff I think it was. turned around, took note, and retreated back towards ball..... dove at it, and got the "held ball" alternate possession..... a hustle play, a heart play, a play I would like to see as commonplace in WCBB..... Thank heaven for our coaching staff and our coaches.....
ok... well said, but who is your Top Ten, I think I see about 5!

I think our standards are very high as UConn fans (and of course jabbing the LadyVols every chance some of get plays a role as well). This type of performance is nothing new (you made some great points) so I dont understand why we get our hopes so high. I tend to look at individuals after a while and just say "that girl can play etc. and I tend to follow certain players.

most teams will not have 4-5 players that can go off for 20 on any given night (Stewie, Dolson, Hartley, KML... then throw in Tuck and Jefferson with 15-20) so what you see is what you get.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Fair enough. But UCONN was without KML and Tuck when they stomped top 10 teams PSU and Maryland. We are now without Tuck for the rest of the year, KML is out for a while, and Banks got about 1 minute in the game today. My point is, UCONN is now without 1 AA, their 1st player off the bench, started a freshman and 2 sophomores, and has 1 scholarship bench player for the moment...

I wasn't comparing uconn and UT, but some teams are built to withstand injuries better than others. But it also depends on the person injured. This sounds absurd to say given her talent, but I'd argue kml may be the 3rd most important player to UConn (and maybe even 4th after Stewart, Dolson, Hartley). A pg is different. Look what's happened to Duke since Gray went down. massengale was averaging 5.7apg and had a 2.5:1 a/to ratio.

I'm not saying UT is going to make huge waves this year, but I wouldn't write them off because they lost to a talented (though very inconsistent) team without their starting pg.

Reaction Score
Thx DaddyChoc for your comments.... I guess I get frustrated when I see the top teams in the rankings go without handling the fundamentals..... As a viewer, I feel like it is like going to a restaurant with a taste for steak, to get Salisbury Steak! I love WCBB, and keep hoping that players develop in the aggregate..... the lack of crisp passing, the missed layups, the silly turnovers....

Aside from my "Top 10" which includes only UC and ND, I do notice that often teams play better when they have an alpha leader playing well and setting a good baseline example.... i.e. Alyssa Thomas, Chiney, Odyssey..... but not to get too philosophical about things....

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It seems Margo has gone into hiding. Nothing posted on the loss. :(

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This one may have been one too many for even Margo. As of 10pm Monday, still no show.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good stuff... go Margo! ZONE, South Carolina?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Wow. Is that realistic, arrogant, living in the past, or something else? The LV don't play zone? If the situation calls for it, then I would say ok. But then, to dismiss SC at the end, as if to say, this should still be a gimme game as we are the LVs, then I'm shaking my head. There will be some day, in some conference, where another team challenges UConn, and although I know we all don't like it, we know it's good for the game. Even Geno said something a while back regarding either Rutgers or ND and competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom