Kentucky to the ACC? | The Boneyard

Kentucky to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
That's good news. It means they might consider the B1G, giving us a partner.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Odd timing for this to come out. If this was bantered about in the 90s, why is this coming out now? To steal some of LCC's ACC thunder? Or is this to remind everyone that the SEC doesn't have a GOR? Will this put Missouri and/or Kentucky in play for the B1G?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Kentucky is valuable to the SEC Network in that it provides winter programming. SEC basketball is beyond horrendous and if it weren't for Kentucky and Florida, nobody would care about it at all. Kentucky isn't leaving the SEC unless it receives a significant financial incentive and that isn't coming from the ACC. In the SEC, Kentucky also gets to take advantage of laxed academics to recruit their one and dones. Plus, they get to run rough shot through the God awful in-conference schedule to 20+ win seasons each and every season for high NCAAT seeding.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I don't think the timing really suggests anything...it's just sort of an interesting curiosity that there was actually a time when any SEC school would consider leaving, and for the ACC at that.

Reaction Score

Obviously Kentucky would help B1G basketball -- I know B1G basketball is pretty strong, but Kentucky brings home the hardware as much/more than the entire B1G over the last 20 years -- but their demographics and academics (and their football) render them out of consideration for B1G, I believe.

I certainly recall talk among fans (no insider info here) about Kentucky-to-the-ACC in the 1990s. Back then (pre-Louisville) the ACC was not fond of Kentucky's academics (and again there are the demographics and football issues), and I don't know how much interest UK had, anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously Kentucky would help B1G basketball -- I know B1G basketball is pretty strong, but Kentucky brings home the hardware as much/more than the entire B1G over the last 20 years -- but their demographics and academics (and their football) render them out of consideration for B1G, I believe.

I certainly recall talk among fans (no insider info here) about Kentucky-to-the-ACC in the 1990s. Back then (pre-Louisville) the ACC was not fond of Kentucky's academics (and again there are the demographics and football issues), and I don't know how much interest UK had, anyway.
...but are they AAU?

pj

Reaction Score

Kentucky is a relatively small state, 4.4 million, but UK captures all of it, and they are a national brand in basketball. The Kentucky-Indiana-Ohio-Illinois area is a hotbed of basketball and with Kentucky the B1G would have all of it.

AAU is an issue for them as well as UConn. Kentucky's research status is similar to UConn's, a cut below AAU status.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Kentucky is a relatively small state, 4.4 million, but UK captures all of it, and they are a national brand in basketball. The Kentucky-Indiana-Ohio-Illinois area is a hotbed of basketball and with Kentucky the B1G would have all of it.

AAU is an issue for them as well as UConn. Kentucky's research status is similar to UConn's, a cut below AAU status.

Interestingly enough, Kentucky only selected all of the public AAU universities as their peer. Just those and no one else.

BTW - I am in no way saying that Kentucky is looking to make a move to the Big10. I just never realized that they were as highly regarded as they are. I just assumed that they were a poorly rated school due to the perception of how The BB team is run.

Reaction Score

The B1G poaching a non-AAU SEC school (#119 USNWR rank) would truly be entertaining. To go after the ACC was bold. But to go after the SEC would take big brass ones.

Reaction Score

Dooley

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, Kentucky only selected all of the public AAU universities as their peer. Just those and no one else.

BTW - I am in no way saying that Kentucky is looking to make a move to the Big10. I just never realized that they were as highly regarded as they are. I just assumed that they were a poorly rated school due to the perception of how The BB team is run.

I threw out Kentucky as a potential partner for UCONN a while ago. If the B1G were to ease up their AAU requirement, adding UCONN and UK would be the "needle mover" to convince B1G Presidents to look past AAU.

Ultimately, I don't think UK would leave the SEC. But it's an interesting debate for them. In the B1G, they might be able to win a few football games AND gain exposure to fertile northern basketball recruiting grounds. A UK UCONN combo move would absolutely put B1G hoops on par (or better) with the ACC.

Reaction Score
I threw out Kentucky as a potential partner for UCONN a while ago. If the B1G were to ease up their AAU requirement, adding UCONN and UK would be the "needle mover" to convince B1G Presidents to look past AAU.

Ultimately, I don't think UK would leave the SEC. But it's an interesting debate for them. In the B1G, they might be able to win a few football games AND gain exposure to fertile northern basketball recruiting grounds. A UK UCONN combo move would absolutely put B1G hoops on par (or better) with the ACC.

The university would need a strong backbone to stand up to the inevitable backlash that would come from their legion of non affiliated T-Shirt Fans. The entire South is brainwashed to believe The S-E-C is the greatest in everything, when in reality the only thing they are top dog in is football. UK to the B1G would make a ton of sense both academically and athletically although I don't ever see it happening.

UK would get access to the CIC and a potential fast track to future AAU Membership.

Larger conference payout.

UK could recruit Ohio Football Players more effectively, while maintaining efforts in Fla, Ga, TX or wherever else they already recruit.

Membership in a top flight basketball conference, with yearly match ups against two regional rivals IU and OSU.

The funny thing is that joining the B1G is better for UK by almost any metric, but mention it to somebody in the South and they recoil like a vampire from a crucifix. News flash UK: You are NEVER going to win The SEC in football. Not today, not 100 years from now. Who cares if Alabama or OSU is beating your ass on a yearly basis, if everything else is a net gain?

Reaction Score

I doubt Delany wants to go to war with the SEC over Kentucky. I've been gathering some data for a post about the best basketball programs of the modern era, i.e., since the field was expanded to 64 teams, and Kansas is slightly better than Kentucky over that time. If the B1G wants to make a move in basketball, it's us and Kansas.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The university would need a strong backbone to stand up to the inevitable backlash that would come from their legion of non affiliated T-Shirt Fans. The entire South is brainwashed to believe The S-E-C is the greatest in everything, when in reality the only thing they are top dog in is football. UK to the B1G would make a ton of sense both academically and athletically although I don't ever see it happening.

UK would get access to the CIC and a potential fast track to future AAU Membership.

Larger conference payout.

UK could recruit Ohio Football Players more effectively, while maintaining efforts in Fla, Ga, TX or wherever else they already recruit.

Membership in a top flight basketball conference, with yearly match ups against two regional rivals IU and OSU.

The funny thing is that joining the B1G is better for UK by almost any metric, but mention it to somebody in the South and they recoil like a vampire from a crucifix. News flash UK: You are NEVER going to win The SEC in football. Not today, not 100 years from now. Who cares if Alabama or OSU is beating your ass on a yearly basis, if everything else is a net gain?

Completely agree. Kentucky is a basketball school, much like us. They will never win in football in the SEC but could win a few games in the B1G. The recruiting advantages of playing in northern conference for hoops would be leaps and bounds. Access to Chicago, NYC, etc would be a boon to their hoops recruiting. Kentucky/UCONN combo play would be HUGE for the B1G. Then their future expansion targets can focus completely on football (Texas, OU, etc). But I agree, UK fans would have a heart attack if they moved out of the SEC. I wouldn't understand it either.

Reaction Score
The B1G poaching a non-AAU SEC school (#119 USNWR rank) would truly be entertaining. To go after the ACC was bold. But to go after the SEC would take big brass ones.

What is interesting about the idea is that The B1G is actually in a position of power over the SEC in terms of conference poaching. The B1G could offer a handful of SEC Teams benefits that they do not receive currently, while The SEC could not reciprocate to B1G Teams in kind. You can make a reasonable argument that it makes a hell of a lot more sense for UK, VU, or MU to be in the B1G than in The SEC. Who could you say that about in The B1G?

UK- CIC, more money, better basketball rivalries with IU and OSU, a chance to be more competitive in football.

VU- CIC, more money, Eastern private counterweight to Northwestern, focus on academics, a chance to be more competitive in football.

UM- CIC, more money, academic validation, logical rivalries with IL and UNL, better basketball, a home for all of their sports including wrestling, potential revival of KU rivalry should the Jayhawks join The B1G.

I'm not saying that any of these scenarios would play out, just that there is a possibility they could, where there is none for B1G Teams going to The SEC.

Simple question. What happens if The B1G were to poach Mizzou? IMO all Hell breaks loose, with the SEC going for 3 teams to get to 16. The targets would be in both The ACC and Big 12 GOR be damned.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I doubt Delany wants to go to war with the SEC over Kentucky. I've been gathering some data for a post about the best basketball programs of the modern era, i.e., since the field was expanded to 64 teams, and Kansas is slightly better than Kentucky over that time. If the B1G wants to make a move in basketball, it's us and Kansas.

Kentucky hoops fanbase is similar to the Nebraska football fanbase. If all things were equal, I would think the B1G would target UK over KU. But honestly, I don't care as long as UCONN is the 16th partner.

pj

Reaction Score

I agree ... but I don't think it's because the B1G values Kansas more highly than Kentucky - probably the opposite is true - but because of the knock-on effects. If the B1G takes Kentucky and UConn now, it is at an even number and can only add two at a time. The likely next additions would be (a) Virginia only from the ACC, (b) Kansas only from the B12, or (c) Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas from the B12. All odd numbered, so the B1G would be poorly positioned to accept them. The B1G's interest is in having UConn on the bench, or as #15, to pull those in, with Kentucky or Missouri as alternatives assuming the SEC remains GoR-free.

Simple question. What happens if The B1G were to poach Mizzou? IMO all Hell breaks loose, with the SEC going for 3 teams to get to 16. The targets would be in both The ACC and Big 12 GOR be damned.

This is a key point. If the B1G takes an SEC team, the SEC is in trouble at 13 teams with only GoR conferences available to raid. The SEC would be royally pissed. The whole D4 negotiations might blow up. The SEC might pick apart another conference. Then the lawsuits would be epic.

If the team poached is Kentucky, rather than Mizzou, it really puts a crimp in the SEC network plans. They have great content during football season but who would watch SEC basketball without Kentucky?

I don't think the B1G wants to make all the enemies it would make for knocking the first domino over. It might find itself with no friends outside the Pac.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree ... but I don't think it's because the B1G values Kansas more highly than Kentucky - probably the opposite is true - but because of the knock-on effects. If the B1G takes Kentucky and UConn now, it is at an even number and can only add two at a time. The likely next additions would be (a) Virginia only from the ACC, (b) Kansas only from the B12, or (c) Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas from the B12. All odd numbered, so the B1G would be poorly positioned to accept them. The B1G's interest is in having UConn on the bench, or as #15, to pull those in, with Kentucky or Missouri as alternatives assuming the SEC remains GoR-free.

This is a key point. If the B1G takes an SEC team, the SEC is in trouble at 13 teams with only GoR conferences available to raid. The SEC would be royally pissed. The whole D4 negotiations might blow up. The SEC might pick apart another conference. Then the lawsuits would be epic.

If the team poached is Kentucky, rather than Mizzou, it really puts a crimp in the SEC network plans. They have great content during football season but who would watch SEC basketball without Kentucky?

I don't think the B1G wants to make all the enemies it would make for knocking the first domino over. It might find itself with no friends outside the Pac.

I agree with what you said, but just need to ask anyway. Since when is CR about making/keeping friends? It's about money first, second and third. Each conference wants to make sure their spot at the money making table is secure and if the B1G thinks the best way for that is to grab UK, then it will grab UK.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree with what you said, but just need to ask anyway. Since when is CR about making/keeping friends? It's about money first, second and third. Each conference wants to make sure their spot at the money making table is secure and if the B1G thinks the best way for that is to grab UK, then it will grab UK.

If people are right that there will be a D4 of P5 conferences and if being part of a controlling voting bloc is critical to the conferences (so much so that jockeying over a 60% vs 67% voting standard is regarded as important), then it's important to these conferences to have friends. The SEC, ACC, and B12 together might be a controlling voting bloc, and all might be mad at the B1G if they triggered a realignment war that damaged all three conferences. There could be blowback. Kentucky would bring in no more, or barely more, money to the B1G than UConn or Kansas or Missouri. They have more to lose than gain by taking Kentucky (pissing off three conferences) vs UConn (pissing off no one).

I don't think the B1G is in a rush, they would prefer to wait for the GoR in B12 and ACC to approach expiration and see where things stand. My prediction: They want to wait until 2025 or so, then take the best available 2 from the group of UConn, Virginia or Virginia Tech, Kentucky, Missouri, and Kansas. If the ACC or B12 breaks up, then they take 4 or 6 with 2 or 4 from the first group plus either Oklahoma & Texas or UNC & Ga Tech depending on which conference falls.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Kentucky hoops fanbase is similar to the Nebraska football fanbase. If all things were equal, I would think the B1G would target UK over KU. But honestly, I don't care as long as UCONN is the 16th partner.
Kansas' basketball fanbase is every bit as large as Kentucky's. I base that on seeing both in Maui, both at regular season away games and both at final fours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom