Kentucky to the ACC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kentucky to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If people are right that there will be a D4 of P5 conferences and if being part of a controlling voting bloc is critical to the conferences (so much so that jockeying over a 60% vs 67% voting standard is regarded as important), then it's important to these conferences to have friends. The SEC, ACC, and B12 together might be a controlling voting bloc, and all might be mad at the B1G if they triggered a realignment war that damaged all three conferences. There could be blowback. Kentucky would bring in no more, or barely more, money to the B1G than UConn or Kansas or Missouri. They have more to lose than gain by taking Kentucky (pissing off three conferences) vs UConn (pissing off no one). Let's say that tomorrow The B1G poached Mizzou from The SEC. Suddenly the SEC is a wounded animal with no good options outside of the ACC or Big 12 to get back to an even number. If they don't want to play at an uneven number for decade, or take a program below their current standards, they would be forced to target the conferences to the East and West of them. At that point if you are The SEC making this move you might as well get all the schools you want, and try to lock things up with your own GOR/Buyouts. If this occurred wouldn't The ACC or Big 12 be angrier at the SEC than The B1G?
I don't think the B1G is in a rush, they would prefer to wait for the GoR in B12 and ACC to approach expiration and see where things stand. My prediction: They want to wait until 2025 or so, then take the best available 2 from the group of UConn, Virginia or Virginia Tech, Kentucky, Missouri, and Kansas. If the ACC or B12 breaks up, then they take 4 or 6 with 2 or 4 from the first group plus either Oklahoma & Texas or UNC & Ga Tech depending on which conference falls.In a perfect world sure, but we don't live in a perfect world. We live in a greedy world where all of these conferences are trying to make the most money possible. With The Tier 1/2 Deals on the horizon for The B1G there is definitely motivation to get things done sooner than later.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Kansas's fan base is more likable too, and probably smarter.

Sometimes stereotypes seem true, but not sure Kentucky is a bad school... neither is Kansas. I don't know many Kentucky fans (one I think) and don't know one single Kansas fan, so I couldn't speak to their likability. I will admit the Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk chant creeps me out.:) It's similar to the assumptions about WVU academics. Unfortunately, their fans are almost legendary in their hostile demeanor... but I hear Oliver Luck is working on that.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Sometimes stereotypes seem true, but not sure Kentucky is a bad school... neither is Kansas. I don't know many Kentucky fans (one I think) and don't know one single Kansas fan, so I couldn't speak to their likability. I will admit the Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk chant creeps me out.:) It's similar to the assumptions about WVU academics. Unfortunately, their fans are almost legendary in their hostile demeanor... but I hear Oliver Luck is working on that.

I knew absolutely nothing of Kentucky's academics. I thought they were very low based on the perception of their basketball team and the assumed way they do business.

Reaction Score

I'm an IU fan who hasn't posted here for awhile, but does follow your CR talk.....

I live 70 miles from the KY border and know a lot about UK fans because of the IU-UK rivalry....

UK would NEVER leave the SEC for the Big 10, as southern roots run deep in Kentucky. There is a residual slave state mentality there. Check out the lyrics to "My Old Kentucky Home" sometime....

As to UK to the ACC.....again extremely unlikely....but if offered a choice most UK fans would choose the ACC over the Big 10......Culturally, Kentucky was mostly settled from Virginia and NC....and the emphasis on bball over fball would be appealing to them.

Now I know that some would say "yes, but that's the fans, not the administrators....", but the fans at UK control everything. It's a relatively small school with a huge fan base, most of which couldn't even spell Kentucky, let alone graduate from UK.....

Reaction Score
I knew absolutely nothing of Kentucky's academics. I thought they were very low based on the perception of their basketball team and the assumed way they do business.

UNC, USC, Miami and tons of others (our schools too) can all be perceived that way. Lots of people compare my alma mater academics to its football team, and it couldn't be farther from the truth. The truth is, some college athletes (some more than others) play by different rules than the rest of us mainstream folk.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I love the Rock Chalk Chant...it is meant to creep you out. I can say that in my three years in Lawrence, I never met anybody with any ill-will towards UConn. Kansas fans just pretty much hate Missouri. They don't even really hate K-State. We did have a nice rivalry with OK-State when I was there (Big Country Reeves era at OSU...they were good).

Most major state universities aren't bad schools, some of them are hampered by their missions. Kansas for example has to accept every KS HS graduate who gets a certain GPA and test score. That drops its selectivity and freshman retention rate. The grad schools don't have that problem. Kentucky isn't Michigan or Virginia, but it isn't Louisville either.

Reaction Score
I'm an IU fan who hasn't posted here for awhile, but does follow your CR talk.....

I live 70 miles from the KY border and know a lot about UK fans because of the IU-UK rivalry....

UK would NEVER leave the SEC for the Big 10, as southern roots run deep in Kentucky. There is a residual slave state mentality there. Check out the lyrics to "My Old Kentucky Home" sometime....

As to UK to the ACC.....again extremely unlikely....but if offered a choice most UK fans would choose the ACC over the Big 10.Culturally, Kentucky was mostly settled from Virginia and NC....and the emphasis on bball over fball would be appealing to them.

Now I know that some would say "yes, but that's the fans, not the administrators....", but the fans at UK control everything. It's a relatively small school with a huge fan base, most of which couldn't even spell Kentucky, let alone graduate from UK.....
Your right about Kentucky,at least central and a Western. The Louisville area might not be as much,
In these areas the fact that Kentucky never left the union is lost on many residents.
They will tell you Kentucky was neutral during the Civil War. Like that actually was an option. It was however a typical border state with families often divided in loyalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom