Reaction Score
That was truly painful to watch....what an awful loss for Tennessee. They had:
-Howard only playing 14 minutes
-Size and athleticism advantage at almost every position
-Howard fouled out with 3-4 minutes to go
-Murrey out almost the entire 2nd half
-29 FTA vs 17 for Kentucky
-28 offensive rebounds

And they still lost! It's just nuts. You watch them play and you can tell the players have zero chemistry with each other, there's no offensive system, no screens being set (a trademark of Holly's offense) and no decision making skills. Players do not value possessions at Tennessee. They cough the ball up, take bad shots and just don't play smart. Westbrook's decision making is awful and Davis looks uninterested half the time. It feels like they're the second coming of Nared/Russell in that category.

Luckily for Tennessee the SEC is down this year, but my guess is they finish at best 10-6, more realistically 8-8 or 7-9. They'll make the tournament but I don't see them hosting the first 2 rounds. Hopefully 3 straight first or 2nd round exits is enough for the administration to consider canning Holly despite Horston coming in next year.

Reaction Score
Tennessee players have awesome personalities...i enjoy listening to them after their games...you can tell Holly recruits well each year. They are really young...Haynes would only be a sophomore but if she hadn't been kicked off the team and forced to transfer she would make a huge difference starting in the backcourt with Ms. Westbrook.

Reaction Score
Did you see the Tennessee fan in the audience with the orange sport coat who stood up every time a referee made a call that didn't go Tennessee's way? He must have burned a lot of calories yelling at the top of his lungs. I know I don't like sitting next to fans like that!

Reaction Score
I just don't get why recruits want to go there. I don't care how great of a recruiter she is. If I'm a player, watching this and seeing this team not getting coached to the best of their abilities, I'm not going!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just don't get why recruits want to go there. I don't care how great of a recruiter she is. If I'm a player, watching this and seeing this team not getting coached to the best of their abilities, I'm not going!
I think Jolette Law recruited a lot of the top ranked players. She’s always been an excellent recruiter. She’s now at So Carolina - just what they need, more top ranked kids :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The Tennessee AD brass is over the moon about finally having a great men's BB team. Who'da thunk we'd see the day that the Vols men's team overshadows the Lady Vols.

And in terms of programs needing remediation, they are 100 times more worried about football than WBB.

Who'da thunk we would see the day when UTenn men's team outshone the UConn men's team?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The pro holly lovers on the summitt love to use the excuse that this team is young, but tennessee started 2seniors, 2 zophs and a fresh..kentucky also started 2 seniors, 2 sophs and a freshman..using youth as an excuse to losing is an easy way out instead of blaming the piss poor coaching
I will say that no matter what her coaching inadequacies, almost no one in all of WCBB has recruited better than Holly the past 3 years. Regardless of how many games she loses, there is no one who could replace her and recruit better. Now, getting the team to play better is a totally different discussion.
I will predict a 7-9 sec record for tenn AND no ncaa invite..im being serious here..i think Tennessee's ncaa post season play is in serious jeapordy
Doubtful. They have games against Georgia, Alabama and Arkansas. They should win all 3 or at the very lest 2/3. I think they lose to ND. They play Mississippi, Florida and Vandy twice. Those all should be wins. I can't see aTm beating them since aTm is a 1-trick pony (Chennedy Carter).

LSU, @Miss State, @Mizzou, SC - all possible losses. Auburn played them close too but I can't see them winning at Tennessee. We will see.

Reaction Score
I honestly hope we fall apart so Fulmer has no other choice but to fire Warlick. Warlick’s defenders are quickly disappearing around UT this season, and attendance is declining.
I desperately want her gone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I honestly hope we fall apart so Fulmer has no other choice but to fire Warlick. Warlick’s defenders are quickly disappearing around UT this season, and attendance is declining.
Who were her defenders who are now disappearing?

Reaction Score

Yes I think that is your best bet

Reaction Score
You missed the foul called at the end of the ND game, I guess. Breanna Turner fell down and they called an unsportsmanlike foul on Louisville
Yes, I saw that. These two games makes me wish every questionable call was reveiwed real time like football and could be overturned by officials not on the floor. Also think refs need to be evaluated for performance and definitely not allowed to ref tournament game unless their performance is up to a certain standard. iMHO, None of the ref in these two games should be allowed to ref in tournament.

Reaction Score
Who were her defenders who are now disappearing?
Amazingly, there are still a fair number of fans who back Warlick still, mostly older generation people who have had season tickets since the 90s. The local newspaper hasn't overtly turned against her yet.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yes, I saw that. These two games makes me wish every questionable call was reveiwed real time like football and could be overturned by officials not on the floor. Also think refs need to be evaluated for performance and definitely not allowed to ref tournament game unless their performance is up to a certain standard. iMHO, None of the ref in these two games should be allowed to ref in tournament.

Absolutely agree with you. Needs to be accountability. We shouldn't have to put up with incompetence from officials.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
just another example of an undisciplined Tennessee team with all of it's highly ranked players losing to a team with far less talent....
This is not a knock on Charlie’s perspective but let me offer another view:
Collegiate coaching requires 3 skills-#1 player ability/talent (recruiting), #2 ability to improve player skills through practice (teaching/coaching) and #3 actual game management when playing an opponent (game coaching).
All top coaches say #1 is getting talent, #2 is improving the skill set of the players then #3 game coaching. You can almost always get 20+ wins with #1 but will be lucky to get 20+ wins only #2 or #3 every OTHER year, let alone every year. So for all of Holly’s faults, she is meeting the #1 Criteria and is getting 25+ wins. Look at JP McCallie, Hatchell, C Vivian Stringer or Doug Bruno and tell me who won more regularly?
I LOVE knocking Holly’s lack of developing and game coaching, mostly at the VolNation expense, however she does win at least 25 games a year in what until this year has been a top two conference which is extremely hard to do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Amazingly, there are still a fair number of fans who back Warlick still, mostly older generation people who have had season tickets since the 90s. The local newspaper hasn't overtly turned against her yet.
I absolutely understand your pain, however who do you think the school will hire in 3 years, because there is very little chance of Fulmer firing Holly before her contract is up especially with all this young talent and 25 wins. There is NO ONE from the CPS coaching tree that warrants getting the Tenn job and I don’t see Philip Fulmer selecting anyone that isn’t a Tenn grad. Your thoughts are...?

Reaction Score
This is not a knock on Charlie’s perspective but let me offer another view:
Collegiate coaching requires 3 skills-#1 player ability/talent (recruiting), #2 ability to improve player skills through practice (teaching/coaching) and #3 actual game management when playing an opponent (game coaching).
All top coaches say #1 is getting talent, #2 is improving the skill set of the players then #3 game coaching. You can almost always get 20+ wins with #1 but will be lucky to get 20+ wins only #2 or #3 every OTHER year, let alone every year. So for all of Holly’s faults, she is meeting the #1 Criteria and is getting 25+ wins. Look at JP McCallie, Hatchell, C Vivian Stringer or Doug Bruno and tell me who won more regularly?
I LOVE knocking Holly’s lack of developing and game coaching, mostly at the VolNation expense, however she does win at least 25 games a year in what until this year has been a top two conference which is extremely hard to do.

I agree with you DBB, except on the last point.... I would suggest that with the talent advantage the Lady Vols have now and have had in the Holly era.... that winning in the SEC (yes even the SEC) should be relatively easy

I say this based on the fact that Holly has 6 high school Americans (on McDonalds list) and Kentucky had zero .. none... Auburn had none... Georgia has none... Mizzou has only Cunningham.... 25 wins a year means you have 10 losses... that is not hard to do IMHO From memory, I think Alabama has beaten Tennessee a few times in a row... how does that happen?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom