Kentucky (16) @ Tennessee (13) - 1/10/19 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Kentucky (16) @ Tennessee (13) - 1/10/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the corny video that Jordan Horston put together to announce her decision to attend TN, Pat Summit was prominent; HW not so much. Perhaps the University, along with the reputation of the winningest coach in the history of WBB, remains a factor in their recruiting success?

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
It's a common refrain on this board and the Vol board that Holly is a great recruiter who does little with the players who come to Knoxville. I certainly agree with the latter comment, but I'd like to challenge the first as well---or at least argue that that it needs to be qualified. It is of course true that her recruiting is stellar according to the rankings of the recruiting services and the Tennessee players certainly look the part. But, while recruiting, Holly doesn't seem to pay attention to anything other than physical ability. There is of course a lot to be said about doing this--and it's the primary reason her recruits are rated so highly--but there is a downside as well to focusing entirely on uber-athletes who were successful in high school primarily because they could run faster and jump higher than virtually all of their opponents. Namely, that many--I'd say almost all--of the players she recruits never developed--never had to develop, really--fundamental basketball skills (can't shoot, don't seem to have even adequate BB IQs, and so on). To me, that's not good recruiting. A few players who are highly rated due to basketball smarts and their ability to play the game rather than extraordinary physical gifts would, in my view, do wonders for her team.

Reaction Score
In the corny video that Jordan Horston put together to announce her decision to attend TN, Pat Summit was prominent; HW not so much. Perhaps the University, along with the reputation of the winningest coach in the history of WBB, remains a factor in their recruiting success?

Jordan Horston would have been the perfect fifth member of our recruiting class so it makes me sad that she thought she was going to play for Pat Summit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jordan Horston would have been the perfect fifth member of our recruiting class so it makes me sad that she thought she was going to play for Pat Summit.
Jordan Horston would have been the desperately needed 2nd member of our recruiting class, so you’ll have to forgive me for my lack of sympathy for SC’s misfortune after securing the top recruiting class in the nation.

Reaction Score
It's a common refrain on this board and the Vol board that Holly is a great recruiter who does little with the players who come to Knoxville. I certainly agree with the latter comment, but I'd like to challenge the first as well---or at least argue that that it needs to be qualified. It is of course true that her recruiting is stellar according to the rankings of the recruiting services and the Tennessee players certainly look the part. But, while recruiting, Holly doesn't seem to pay attention to anything other than physical ability. There is of course a lot to be said about doing this--and it's the primary reason her recruits are rated so highly--but there is a downside as well to focusing entirely on uber-athletes who were successful in high school primarily because they could run faster and jump higher than virtually all of their opponents. Namely, that many--I'd say almost all--of the players she recruits never developed--never had to develop, really--fundamental basketball skills (can't shoot, don't seem to have even adequate BB IQs, and so on). To me, that's not good recruiting. A few players who are highly rated due to basketball smarts and their ability to play the game rather than extraordinary physical gifts would, in my view, do wonders for her team.
I agree with you about Holly recruiting players for their physical ability but many of these same players were recruiting by other schools that run Prinecton and motion offenses. Evina Westbrook was recruited and offered by ND, Oregon, and Oregon St. and chose Tenn. Those coaches saw something in Evina besides her physical abilities that they could hone and develop. IMO, one of Holly's issues is that she runs a outdated system that only focuses on her players physical talents.

Reaction Score
Jordan Horston would have been the desperately needed 2nd member of our recruiting class, so you’ll have to forgive me for my lack of sympathy for SC’s misfortune after securing the top recruiting class in the nation.

I was typing out my expression of sympathy until I remembered that UConn had made 11 straight Final Fours and won 6 of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom