Kenton to the league | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kenton to the league

Reaction Score
What I see is a big guy who has excellent athleticism who can run well, jump and now can shoot. Maybe the Rodman comparison was a bit of a stretch but the NBA needs guys with that skill set. There are ton's of guys like him in the league that were not the best superstars in college (in fact, many of those don't pan out). In the end, the NBA cares about size, athleticism, motor and ability to defend, rebound and have some offensive ability. Super John you missed the other comparison between Enoch and Wilt....

Since you're taking this seriously, so will I.

He's 23. His birthday is within 4 months of Anthony Davis'. You need to be dominating at age 23 to be able to improve enough further to be competitive in the NBA. Pretty good college player on middle of the pack G5 school is not that.

He's got subpar height for the NBA 4 (measured under 6'9 with shoes). His length is okay, but he's not a wide-body, so he will get pushed around on the block and that will hurt his rebounding.

He can step out, but he doesn't have college 3-pt range, let alone NBA range, so he's not really a stretch guy. He's a pick and pop guy, but he's not an effective screener.

He doesn't score especially efficiently; his finishing at the rim is subpar. His best attribute (offensive rebounding) is only in the 82nd percentile for college bigs and wings this season.

He doesn't have enough size, talent, or skill to make the NBA.

Reaction Score
Kentan will enjoy making six figures overseas.

If he chooses D-league, he might stick around with a couple few day contracts, but I doubt he ever sniffs the NBA. Just doesn't have the skill for his body type.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's 23. His birthday is within 4 months of Anthony Davis'. You need to be dominating at age 23 to be able to improve enough further to be competitive in the NBA. Pretty good college player on middle of the pack G5 school is not that.

I think this part is a myth, and I don't understand its continued propagation. For a kid who played basketball his entire life, it might hold. Though it doesn't take into account kids who start to get serious about ball later in life.

But where it is weak, is kids, like Kenton, who came to the game late, are raw, and still developing. Kenton could have a lot more upside, regardless of his age, you just don't know.

Not an NBA player though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have to say, even though it's not likely, I'm very happy for Kentan that this is being treated as a serious discussion worth having. I remember two years ago when people were saying he wasn't even an MAAC-level player.
I remember 2 years ago when folks here wondered what UConn saw in him, why he was recruited and why doesn't he xfer to a D2 team
And never mind he was Mr Basketball in NY

Reaction Score
I would be shocked to see Kentan land in the NBA but there are guys littered around the league who looked like they had no shot when they were still in college. Do you think any Duke fans thought Lance Thomas would one day become an NBA veteran? Would any LSU fan guess that Garrett Temple would be serving as a starting point guard in the NBA? I think Kentan's only chance would be if he became an absolute sniper from 3. Obviously, this would be a very unexpected development, yet its not impossible. I'll give him a .3% chance.

Reaction Score
I know Kentan is a Husky and most of us tend to have national flag blue tinted glasses when we evaluate our own players, but I think some of us forget how hard it is, and how good you have to be, to make the NBA.

I could find a bunch of players who had much better seasons than Kentan is having right now in the last few drafts who never played in the NBA. As one example, Ben Bentil of Providence averaged 21.1 ppg and 7.7 rpg in his last season at PC. He was drafted with the 51st overall pick by the Celtics but is now playing with the Xinjiang Tigers in China. There are tons of guys like that. It's very difficult to make it to the NBA.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The NBA is about athletes and upside potential. He's both. Now, whether he reaches the upside or not is another story. That's about hard work, dedication to developing your game. It's a reach to see him in the league, but not unreasonable. With his length he'll get a summer league invite.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'd never say never. He looks better every game. That pump fake and jumper -- can you imagine him doing that at the beginning of the year, let alone last season?

If he can get to the point where he has a consistent 20-footer, he could carve out a role. Maybe he could develop a 3-point shot. Crazier things have happened. At the very least, he'll learn some Italian or Turkish.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I know Kentan is a Husky and most of us tend to have national flag blue tinted glasses when we evaluate our own players, but I think some of us forget how hard it is, and how good you have to be, to make the NBA.

I could find a bunch of players who had much better seasons than Kentan is having right now in the last few drafts who never played in the NBA. As one example, Ben Bentil of Providence averaged 21.1 ppg and 7.7 rpg in his last season at PC. He was drafted with the 51st overall pick by the Celtics but is now playing with the Xinjiang Tigers in China. There are tons of guys like that. It's very difficult to make it to the NBA.

Your point is well taken, but Bentil couldn't stick with the Celts because his defense was a mess.

Reaction Score
I think this part is a myth, and I don't understand its continued propagation. For a kid who played basketball his entire life, it might hold. Though it doesn't take into account kids who start to get serious about ball later in life.

But where it is weak, is kids, like Kenton, who came to the game late, are raw, and still developing. Kenton could have a lot more upside, regardless of his age, you just don't know.

Not an NBA player though.

"In conclusion, age does seem to have a large impact on a players upside, as seen in the first section that younger players tended to become better NBA players than their older counterparts drafted around the same pick."
NBA Draft and finding “Best Player Available”

If you can find something that shows that guys who come to basketball later develop to a higher upside, I'd love to see it, as it would seem to be intuitive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Kentan but he's a 6-foot-10 PF who misses more bunnies than he makes, and absolutely can not finish against length/through contact.

He will have a nice, long career in a second-tier European league. If you can't finish at the rim in college you can not make it as a big man in the modern NBA.

I know people take the "will take a look at him" seriously but by no means will he make it now and probably not ever. But I have seen him finish at the rim with both hands although as you say, not consistently. They key is it's a lot more than he has ever shown in his first 3 years and it's not even close. He's a different player, got a little stronger and is long and bouncy. Probably not I agree, but because of the strides in one year even at 23 they will monitor him if he rips it up on the other side of the Atlantic is all I am saying.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
He's shooting 75% from three in his UConn career. Sample size is kinda small and he hasn't shot one in a game in 2 years.

Reaction Score
I really, really like Kentan Facey. That said, in all likelyhood he will have a nice career overseas.

I would be thrilled to be wrong about that, but the league is an awful tough place to make it to. Nevertheless, I will follow his career and certainly enjoy his successes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The NBA is about athletes and upside potential. He's both. Now, whether he reaches the upside or not is another story. That's about hard work, dedication to developing your game. It's a reach to see him in the league, but not unreasonable. With his length he'll get a summer league invite.

He will get a camp invite. But comparisons to Rodman are absurd. Not only was Rodman the best rebounder ever, he was all NBA on the defensive end. Honestly, Facey is better offensively than Rodman in many ways, but he's average at best on defense even at the college level. He always had this offensive game and was a plus rebounder. His defense was awful, and that kept him off the floor. His defense is not NBA level. He could get a cup of coffee, but realistically, Europe is a better fit for his game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No offense to Facey, he has shown tremendous improvement this year, but has no chance of playing in the NBA.

Just by way of comparison, Facey is averaging 7 rebounds a game. Rodman averaged 18 rebounds a game his last college season.
Once Kentan starts cross dressing the rebounds will improve. A trip or three to North Korea would also help.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Kenton will average 73.1 rebounds a game in the NBA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I would be shocked to see Kentan land in the NBA but there are guys littered around the league who looked like they had no shot when they were still in college. Do you think any Duke fans thought Lance Thomas would one day become an NBA veteran? Would any LSU fan guess that Garrett Temple would be serving as a starting point guard in the NBA? I think Kentan's only chance would be if he became an absolute sniper from 3. Obviously, this would be a very unexpected development, yet its not impossible. I'll give him a .3% chance.
I'm a little more optimistic. .325% chance.

Reaction Score
I love how this is a topic that all kinds of guys from the Boneyard needed to throw in their opinion.

Kentan Facey is likely to be a guy who plays far better at 29 than at 23. He's getting better; he's instinctively understanding the game and where rebounds bounce; and he keeps working. So ... That should debunk the - he's 23 and Anthony Davis age - crap. He will have a nice pro career.

Unfortunately it's likely to be abroad. But he's already carrying a passport other than US ... so retaliatory countries will let him play more readily. Even Iran. He might make great Euros.

And the NBA? I'm constantly surprised by who I see on rosters. No. Don't focus on the top 4 salaries. Look at who is at numbers 8-12. It's amazing their stories. And Kevin Ollie is a freaking icon to that. You can get to the NBA from a lot of different paths now. You don't have to be numbers 1-60 in a draft year. HOWEVER ... You do need to really work and find your spot.

Then the Dennis Rodman spot. I think we all have to admit that Rodman was one of the most unusual studs and unique talents in the last 30 years. His skill is not found too often.

Reaction Score
And the NBA? I'm constantly surprised by who I see on rosters. No. Don't focus on the top 4 salaries. Look at who is at numbers 8-12. It's amazing their stories. And Kevin Ollie is a freaking icon to that. You can get to the NBA from a lot of different paths now. You don't have to be numbers 1-60 in a draft year. HOWEVER .. You do need to really work and find your spot.

Yes, that is correct. Playing in Europe is no longer a death sentence.
"According to my research, from 2010 to 2015 the percentage of undrafted free agents to start their professional basketball career overseas has risen from 38% to 46% respectively."
Broken Clipboard

But do you know what else is true? There are the same number of roster spots and more and more actual internationals are claiming those spots. The number of Americans in the NBA is decreasing each year and as such the number of college players that makes the NBA decreases every year.

"In 1995-96, only six percent of the league's minutes were played by players raised abroad. That rate has jumped to 20.4 percent this season, narrowly surpassing last season's 20.3 percent to set another NBA record."
Kevin Pelton

So fringe college players are now LESS likely to make the NBA, even if they have more avenues available for them if they fail to get drafted initially. And make no mistake, his age will keep him from getting drafted.

Reaction Score
The real tragedy of what should have been the Kentan Facey Dynasty at UConn was that he never got consistent burn.

There is some sarcasm there, but realistically Facey's game is centered around some rugged rebounding and some finesse offense. Without getting into a rhythm of consistent time on the court, its nearly impossible for a guy like that to get a good feel, a good role on offense.

So its not like he has "developed" or anything. He's always been able to shoot. But due to injuries this year he finally was able to find his spot on the court, and just let loose.

Happy for him, but a shame it took this long.

Reaction Score
Strength will be the greatest limiting factor for Kentan, whether it's in summer league or the D-league or overseas. @Matrim55 nailed it. He can't finish through contact and he gets pushed around on the block. His rebounding rate this season is less than Brimah's.

He has assets - he's athletic, both laterally and vertically, he has a very nice stroke (I've never understood why he never experimented with the three point shot at UConn), and he has good feel/body control in the paint. If he was stronger, you could make the argument that he could maybe catch on as a niche guy in the NBA, if not as a 3 & D guy than as a small ball center, but then you go back and look at the tape against Kansas or Maryland last year and you see why it's probably not going to work.

The guy who said it's impossibly hard to make the NBA is 100% right. The fact that we can have this discussion at this point is a nice tribute to how much better he's gotten, particularly defensively. It won't be because of a lack of development that he doesn't make it (though I still think his upside as a college player was higher). Same thing with Brimah - good, improved player, just too limited physically too ever really get a crack, IMO.

Reaction Score
The problem with kentan is he will be 24 by the time training camp starts, he is a bit raw for someone in their mid 20s. he is older than anthony davis. Theres no doubt he'll have a long professional career somewhere though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom