Kenpom vs Barttorvik | The Boneyard

Kenpom vs Barttorvik

Which ranking system do you believe is more accurate

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Torvik basically reverse engineered KenPom and then improved upon it. They're pretty similar. Torvik has more features on his website, also.

Reaction Score
Kenpom is more fun to say
Haha. Not only that, but Torvik's all-in-one individual offensive stat (which I think is actually the best such stat for college basketball) is called PORPAGATU!

Which actually is fun to say, but work on your branding man. Bouknight is 25th in that for the record (and Kemba has the 2nd highest season "of all time" aka since 08).

Reaction Score
He does the best job filtering garbage time, but I think the others do a better job of adjusting the raw efficiencies. That shows up most obviously with Colgate in his top 30.
Damn!!! Click on the word "UConn" in their rankings and check out the detailed analysis. Just Wow!
It's procedurally/AI generated from the stats, which is pretty neat.

Reaction Score
It's procedurally/AI generated from the stats, which is pretty neat.

Was wondering this as I read it. Reads like a mad lib filled in by stats/trends of interest. Doesn't mention any players or in game actions.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It's interesting that ALL of the aforementioned statistical rankings have us unanimously higher than AP/Coaches poll rankings. We're underrated.
I am curious if anyone knows if these rankings account for Bouknight's injury in any way? If not, then we're VERY underrated.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that ALL of the aforementioned statistical rankings have us unanimously higher than AP/Coaches poll rankings. We're underrated.
I am curious if anyone knows if these rankings account for Bouknight's injury in any way? If not, then we're VERY underrated.
I don't believe any of them do.

Reaction Score
You can play around on Torvik to view our resume without the missing Bouknight games. Posted the tweet from NoEscalators on here yesterday in one of the threads about our seed

Reaction Score
I agree. Frustrating. I think the AP poll goes purely off of win & loss record basically

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Haha. Not only that, but Torvik's all-in-one individual offensive stat (which I think is actually the best such stat for college basketball) is called PORPAGATU!

Which actually is fun to say, but work on your branding man. Bouknight is 25th in that for the record (and Kemba has the 2nd highest season "of all time" aka since 08).
does he have a similar all-in-one defensive stat called NOSFERATU. that would be pretty badass

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Whatever gives UConn a higher seed is better. No way UConn should be lower than a 7 seed and could go as high as a 4 seed.

Reaction Score
I vote neither. I did an analysis of the all of the power ratings and the top twelve are below. Some of them are better at ranking the full resume and predicting MOV and some are better at predicting who will win close games. The ones that are better at predicting Ws and Ls also seem to emphasize recent performance. That isn't a surprise as teams evolve. While Pomeroy gives a lot of fun stats, their power rating really isn't among the best. For the record, the system that rated the overall highest was Logan. This could very well change in a "normal" year when there are more non-conference games.

B. Wilson Empirical
College Basketball Rating
INCC Stats
Lawler
Logan
Massey
PiRate
Sagarin
Stat Fox
The Power Rank
Whitlock
Wobus MOV

Reaction Score
Haslametrics has us as #8 in the country, therefore making it the best, and most accurate, rating system.

As other mentioned, the auto-generated team summary was neat: Haslametrics: A unique approach to college basketball analysis

In all honesty, does anyone know more about that particular site? Is it predictive of tourney success at all?

@ScuderiaDiU, thanks for posting those. I took a quick look, and even among analytics sites we are anywhere from #9-30. We may lack enough signature wins due to injuries and COVID, but when you consider our ability to consistently beat decent teams by a comfortable margin and never lose by much to good teams when healthy, anywhere from #10-20 feels about right to me.

Reaction Score
I vote neither. I did an analysis of the all of the power ratings and the top twelve are below. Some of them are better at ranking the full resume and predicting MOV and some are better at predicting who will win close games. The ones that are better at predicting Ws and Ls also seem to emphasize recent performance. That isn't a surprise as teams evolve. While Pomeroy gives a lot of fun stats, their power rating really isn't among the best. For the record, the system that rated the overall highest was Logan. This could very well change in a "normal" year when there are more non-conference games.

B. Wilson Empirical
College Basketball Rating
INCC Stats
Lawler
Logan
Massey
PiRate
Sagarin
Stat Fox
The Power Rank
Whitlock
Wobus MOV
Great research. I like to submit multiple sheets in my office pool. For one of my bracket sheets, I like to use a sound ranking system and use “straight chalk” using that system. I submitted this thread trying to search out “the best overall ranking system”.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I agree. Frustrating. I think the AP poll goes purely off of win & loss record basically
The AP voters use the following formula.

1. team name (regardless of record, more points if it’s Fuke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State or North Carolina)
2. team conference (regardless of record, more points if it’s ACC or Big 10)
3. actual quality basketball teams

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
since so much of this 'ology' stuff seems gambling oriented, im wondering if someone has figgered out a way to have folks bet on which one did the best after the field is announced?
the post-selection 'who guessed best' show could be a tv ratings beast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom