KenPom Request | The Boneyard

KenPom Request

Reaction Score
For any of you who may subscribe to KenPom, I have what hopefully is not a big ask.

I'd love to know how our title runs compare against other blue bloods. Specifically Duke, UNC, UK & KU.

I know our last 2 runs we've faced 5 Top 25 KenPom teams. In the last KU run they faced 2 T25 teams. In particular, I'd love to see KU's 2003 run.

So many times I hear how our title runs were lucky & we just got hot at the right time. Absurd given the gauntlet of teams/coaches we faced in 2014, the blue bloods we've beaten in the FF over the years, and the overall #1s we've beaten.

I plan to subscribe to KenPom when my wife gets a new job (she was laid off last month) but I'm limited at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Reaction Score
2003 Kansas beat 3 top 15 kenpom teams and then lost to the 4th in the title.

Reaction Score
2915 Duke beat 4 top 15, 3 top 10.
2017 UNC beat 4 top 25, 3 top 10, 2 top 5.
2009 UNC beat 4 top 13, 3 top 10.
2010 Duke beat 5 top 15, 2 top 8.
2012 UK beat 5 top 26. 2 top 10.
2008 Kansas beat 3 top 11, 3 easy games before that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s ours break down to? Any top 10 or top 5?

Reaction Score
Thanks Auror!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For any of you who may subscribe to KenPom, I have what hopefully is not a big ask.

I'd love to know how our title runs compare against other blue bloods. Specifically Duke, UNC, UK & KU.

I know our last 2 runs we've faced 5 Top 25 KenPom teams. In the last KU run they faced 2 T25 teams. In particular, I'd love to see KU's 2003 run.

So many times I hear how our title runs were lucky & we just got hot at the right time. Absurd given the gauntlet of teams/coaches we faced in 2014, the blue bloods we've beaten in the FF over the years, and the overall #1s we've beaten.

I plan to subscribe to KenPom when my wife gets a new job (she was laid off last month) but I'm limited at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Let me guess, yet another Kansas fan on Twitter or Reddit is doing the daily Kansas fan melt down about UConn and you want to refute it.

Godspeed.

Reaction Score
Let me guess, yet another Kansas fan on Twitter or Reddit is doing the daily Kansas fan melt down about UConn and you want to refute it.

Godspeed.
Just want it in my back pocket. I just hate the narrative that we were somehow equal parts lucky and "got hot at the right moment." KU fans tend to be the worst, and the least fact-based. But, lots of fanbases have similar fans. Our fans are not necessarily any better at times. :confused:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
KU fans tend to be the worst
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reaction Score
I run a UConn Twitter site & what I've found is that KU MBB & South Carolina WBB fans are the flat-out most disagreeable. And that's being overly diplomatic.

I have online friends, whom I can rationally DM with regularly, from nearly every other rival/team we play. ARK, FL, Liberty, NCS, Iowa, and all of the BE teams to name just a few. I can be a bit sarcastic...but never trash talk & civilly appear on opposing podcasts regularly.

But those 2 schools and their fanbases are just over-the-top irrational.

Reaction Score
Just want it in my back pocket. I just hate the narrative that we were somehow equal parts lucky and "got hot at the right moment." KU fans tend to be the worst, and the least fact-based. But, lots of fanbases have similar fans. Our fans are not necessarily any better at times. :confused:
You hate the narrative exactly why? Does the championship not count if you "get hot at the right moment?" If you played one or two close games along the way? (I thought part of winning championships is getting hot at the right moment and taking advantage of the breaks you get.) Why in the world do you need to win an argument over something that doesn't change the only important part of the matter being debated (which is that five times in the last 25 years we won a NCAA Championship)?

Reaction Score
I just hate the narrative that we were somehow equal parts lucky and "got hot at the right moment."
That is literally every single team that wins a national title. Sometimes you have a team thats just head and shoulders above the rest but even those teams dont beat all of the best teams in the tournament. I dont let all that talk bother me at all its just hate. We have the most national titles over the last 25 years that is the only argument you need. Its just amazing how Uconn gets so lucky so many times. I couldnt care less how anyone wants to twist it to make themselves feel better about their program going home while we put up another trophy. We just saw one of the most dominant runs of all time and we got number 5. Everything else is just noise and hate.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I don't know if this is the kind of thing you were looking for, but I did a bunch of work compiling stats since the tournament expanded to 64 teams.

Reaction Score
I love the greyed out numbers in shown for UConn's KP in the most recent title run. Going from #4 and then after the Arkansas game jumping to #1 overall.

I think of the run in 3 groups based on the tourney site:

Albany - I feel they played a B/B+ game here. Slow starts in both games, but absolutely throttled competition in second half.

Vegas - A++++. Some of the best basketball we have witnessed in program history, looked like the same team from November and December. Dismantled two very good teams in ways that may end up in a Jon Bois video in 10 years from now.

Houston - B+/A-. Played comfortable to very good basketball through the first 3 halves against Miami and SDSU; got a little sloppy in the second half v. SDSU but credit the opponent for not giving up and muddying the waters in ways we saw the BE challenge this squad.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only thing you need in your back pocket is that we would have played Kansas in the tournament this past spring if they could have figured out how to beat Arkansas, who we made look like a JV squad.

Reaction Score
2014 was the only lucky run of the 5.
We were lucky because we had the best player in CBB, the best backcourt in CBB and our young guys, DeAndre and Neils, found their roles? I refuse to accept that, mostly because Bazz ran that tournament. The only reason UL had our number was that conference refs allowed them to physically abuse us. (Kind of like this season)

We weren’t lucky, we were built for the tourney. We didn’t even miss a free throw.

Reaction Score
The only thing you need in your back pocket is that we would have played Kansas in the tournament this past spring if they could have figured out how to beat Arkansas, who we made look like a JV squad.
Kansas wouldve gotten crushed. They didnt have the quality size to even be on the court with us. It wouldve gotten ugly. Wouldve been like the Arkansas game anyway or worse the Gonzaga game.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Seriously? That team beat #2-Nova (Wright); 3-ISU (Hoiberg); 4-MSU (Izzo); overall #1-FL (Donovan) and UK (Calapari).

The coaches, seeds and schools they beat were a friggin gauntlet.

Nothing easy or lucky about that run in the least.

That was the toughest run we made, and we had THE best player in America. Somehow that’s luck. And he’s a UConn fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
2014 was the only lucky run of the 5.
That first win was lucky but that team went through the gauntlet, By that logic, 2011 was lucky because the Zona shot didn't drop. Or 1999 was lucky because we barely beat Gonzaga.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom