Kemba | The Boneyard

Kemba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What night by Kemba 18 points, 8 in 4th qtr, Bobcats win by 2, clutch again, congrats Go Huskies

Reaction Score
So, looking at the box score it looks like DJ Augustin started and may have had one of the worst games in organized basketball history. 3:6 assist:turnover, 20% from the field and -16 when he was on the floor. Seems reasonable...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I watched a few minutes of the 4th quarter. Kemba looks fast even for NBA standards. He shredded the defense with the dribble drive. But he got abused on defense. His man went by him at will causing open looks or bigs having to foul. He's gotta be better on defense. But, hell, he won the game with his offense. 18 points in 19 minutes, leading scorer and scored something like the last 7 points. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I watched the first half, and while he only played a couple minutes, it looked like he held his own on defense. Most of the time he goes against guards like D-Rose and Russ Westbrook, it's going to be a case of "I can't guard you, but you can't guard me either". That's the way it seems to be with most elite point guards. Regardless, I think Kemba will be really good in the NBA. The strength of his game is the pick and pop, and the spacing in the NBA is so much better than that of college basketball, which will allow him to get his shot off pretty much whenever he wants.

Granted, he wasn't going against stellar competition tonight, but he pretty much got whatever he wanted. If he hits a few shots he normally makes, he probably puts up 25 on 7-13 shooting in less than 2o minutes.

Reaction Score
So, looking at the box score it looks like DJ Augustin started and may have had one of the worst games in organized basketball history. 3:6 assist:turnover, 20% from the field and -16 when he was on the floor. Seems reasonable...

I'm guessing Silas doesn't want to just hand the job to a rookie, but it will not be long before Augustin is on the bench, he's just not very good.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Didn't catch it, but the box score indicates it was off 4/13 shooting with half of those points coming from the line

Reaction Score
Usually if his man went by him, it was when he was going over the top of a high ball screen without the big man hedging - which was clearly the defensive scheme that the Bobcats wanted. When you play defense that way, you take away the three-pointer, but you essentially give up the dribble drive with the hope that your team defense will make those shots difficult. There was once in the first half he got beat straight up when he was trying to pressure the ball near midcourt, and once when his man went by him in the second half when he faked as if he would use the screen and went the other way. Those are the plays he can't allow.

Reaction Score
Wow, nobody there, I mean nobody. How could fans not want to sit in the second or third row and check out their new star for a couple bucks? You could have bought the cheapest seat in the house and walked down to the front row. Is this typical for Charlotte preseason or did the strike play a role in fan indifference?

I've never seen a showing like that in Miami for the worst Heat teams and Miami fans are certainly fair weather.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kemba had almost as many points as Jimmer.

Reaction Score
Kemba's "got it", article from Charlotte Observer. Pretty good opinion piece, except for the one stupid paragraph.

That was a pretty stupid paragraph though. Do people outside of Connecticut really think that our women's team being a powerhouse means that Husky fans aren't equally as obsessed with the men's team? It's not a zero sum game.

Reaction Score
Wow, nobody there, I mean nobody. How could fans not want to sit in the second or third row and check out their new star for a couple bucks? You could have bought the cheapest seat in the house and walked down to the front row. Is this typical for Charlotte preseason or did the strike play a role in fan indifference?

I've never seen a showing like that in Miami for the worst Heat teams and Miami fans are certainly fair weather.

This is a good opportunity for Kemba. Empty today full tomorrow, mostly because of Kemba.

Can someone say more money?

btw: I would like to know if the football team was playing to less than full crowds last year. I'm sure its packed now.

Reaction Score

the bobcats are beyond horrible and half the team is overweight and out of shape. hopefully kemba makes them somewhat decent this year. i wouldn't pay to watch that team play if i wasn't a huge kemba fan.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That was a pretty stupid paragraph though. Do people outside of Connecticut really think that our women's team being a powerhouse means that Husky fans aren't equally as obsessed with the men's team? It's not a zero sum game.
Outside of the North Carolina teams, UConn and Tennessee, the writer from the Charlotte Observer probably couldn't name another women's basketball team. It's just ignorance.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Didn't catch it, but the box score indicates it was off 4/13 shooting with half of those points coming from the line
yeah but he didn't force any shots... some threes went in and out and same thing with his patented pull up j... all his shots were in the flow of the game, nothing forced

Reaction Score
Of the 4-13, one was a missed three-pointer that he heaved up as the shot clock expired when someone passed him the ball with one second on the shot clock, one was a missed dunk on a fast break when he went for a little pre-season game showmanship instead of laying it in like he normally would, and one was when he drew body contact on a hard drive for a clear foul, but didn't get the call. Give him the made lay-up and take away those two misses and he would have been 5-11, which would be about right. He had one bad miss - right after he checked into the game in the fourth, his three-pointer hit backboard. Wide left. He missed a couple clean looks in the mid-range area after creating his own space, and missed a couple spot-up threes, which is no surprise (he won't be consistent from three-point range). The key isn't so much the percentage as the fact that, at least in the first game, he was able to get separation from defenders and get his shots.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Same player in a strange uniform. Nice start to your NBA career Kemba.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
As the game wound down, the crowd was his, as was the outcome.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...s-have-it-in-rookie-walker.html#storylink=cpy
That's our guy.

Finding a way to win and executing it is in his DNA. Watching much of the game last night, I noted that the NBA's continuation rrules will benefit Kemba more than most. He has an uncanny knack for getting knocked off stride, then regaining stride ad re-inventing the shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He makes things happen, which Charlotte certainly lacks from other sources. Plus, as the article points out, he makes you want to watch. The NBA can be boring and the season is (normally) too long. Glad to see he's making an impression. For what it's worth, I wish Jimmer well too. I think he's been underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom