Kemba vs. Bucks | The Boneyard

Kemba vs. Bucks

Reaction Score
Celtics without Brown and Kanter against the Bucks and they pull off a great comeback win.

I was critical toward everyone praising his last performance against one of the worst teams in the league. This is the Bucks, and he just went off for 32/6/6. Not to mention a fire 4th qtr.

In Kemba I Trust.

Reaction Score
In addition to Kemba's high level of play right off the bat (most points through the first four games of any Celtic ever), Gordon Hayward looks a lot more like Gordon Hayward again. If they can get any consistent play from the center position (whether it be from Williams, Kanter when he returns, or Thies), the C's could be very good this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In addition to Kemba's high level of play right off the bat (most points through the first four games of any Celtic ever), Gordon Hayward looks a lot more like Gordon Hayward again. If they can get any consistent play from the center position (whether it be from Williams, Kanter when he returns, or Thies), the C's could be very good this year.

Trader Danny needs to get help down low. Losing Horford was a championship contending blow.

Reaction Score
Trader Danny needs to get help down low. Losing Horford was a championship contending blow.

I want to see how Kanter fits in first. Horford was great, but for $26 Million through age 36?

The matchups with the Sixers will be interesting -- Philly with a ton of size and not much quickness, and Boston the polar opposite . . .

Reaction Score
Fantastic for UConn tho. Probably the best spot for him in terms of that

There are only two things that can make me a Celtics fan: Kemba, and a Celtics/Lakers finals... But you’re right, his location should bode well for Uconn.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I want to see how Kanter fits in first. Horford was great, but for $26 Million through age 36?

The matchups with the Sixers will be interesting -- Philly with a ton of size and not much quickness, and Boston the polar opposite . . .

Kanter's durability gives me pause. Horford's contract was almost impossible for them to match (don't think he wanted to anyway). I more fault Danny's inability to replace him effectively. Don't underestimate the loss of Banes for this particular team as well. Big, active body.

Reaction Score
Kanter's durability gives me pause. Horford's contract was almost impossible for them to match (don't think he wanted to anyway). I more fault Danny's inability to replace him effectively. Don't underestimate the loss of Banes for this particular team as well. Big, active body.

Can't blame Danny for this one.

Al's departure was a late decision and Al even admitted if he knew Kemba was coming he would have stayed with the Celts. After Al left, if Danny doesn't trade Baynes you don't free up enough salary cap to sign Kemba. Kemba > Baynes

The stars just aligned for how it played out, and with the late decisions there weren't that many bigs on the market to replace Al with.

As good a defender and locker room presence as Baynes is he doesn't match the timeline of the Celtics core roster. Expect Danny to trade for an elite big in the next couple years. Capela is realistic, I'm praying for KAT but that's a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
Can't blame Danny for this one.

Al's departure was a late decision and Al even admitted if he knew Kemba was coming he would have stayed with the Celts. After Al left, if Danny doesn't trade Baynes you don't free up enough salary cap to sign Kemba. Kemba > Baynes

The stars just aligned for how it played out, and with the late decisions there weren't that many bigs on the market to replace Al with.

As good a defender and locker room presence as Baynes is he doesn't match the timeline of the Celtics core roster. Expect Danny to trade for an elite big in the next couple years. Capela is realistic, I'm praying for KAT but that's a pipe dream.
I agree 99% with you. Only thing that I don't agree with is trading for an elite big. You don't need an elite big to win a championship, especially today, in college or NBA. March madness is won though elite point guards and shooting guards. NBA is won through elite wings and then guards. The ball is in their hands the majority of the time and they impact winning more than a big like Clint Capela would. See Virginia, Toronto, GSW. Other than that, I definitely agree with you in that Danny did the best given the situation.

Reaction Score
Long time Knick fan here (i.e. NYC teams), I have to admit I'm transitioning to the Cs. Living in CT I finally have a basketball team I like and can root for, until Kemba retires or gets traded. I won't be buying anything green but I do like the Celtics.

I have to say its good to follow the NBA again. . . . . . . Thanks Kemba!

Reaction Score
The 2nd half of that Celtics game was a blast. Thankfully I missed the first half.

Everyone on D had active hands. A lot of intensity. Great intelligent switching on D. Great communication. Got who they wanted on the other team to take a majority of the shots during the run.

Hayward slashing constantly. He's drawing the 3rd or 4th best defenders on the opposing team and roasting them and kicking back out. Really enjoyable style. When Tatum and Kemba are both making shots, Celtics are in that top tier.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree 99% with you. Only thing that I don't agree with is trading for an elite big. You don't need an elite big to win a championship, especially today, in college or NBA. March madness is won though elite point guards and shooting guards. NBA is won through elite wings and then guards. The ball is in their hands the majority of the time and they impact winning more than a big like Clint Capela would. See Virginia, Toronto, GSW. Other than that, I definitely agree with you in that Danny did the best given the situation.

When you've got to account for Giannis, Embiid and the like in the playoffs, you need somebody.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
When you've got to account for Giannis, Embiid and the like in the playoffs, you need somebody.
There's no easy answer as to who, though. Just in terms of risk/reward for this season, it's smart to try to develop Time Lord and hope that Kanter has some more playoff magic in him (he's produced in the past).

If that doesn't work then next year you have almost $50 million worth of expirings (Hayward, Kanter, Theis, Poirier) go use and go after... someone.

Honestly, I'm excited to see what Williams can do with 20-25 mpg this year. He has the physical tools to be a dominant defender is is surrounded by four all-star caliber talents in Kemba, Hayward, Brown and Tatum. There's a really good chance he'll be a much better player come April than he is right now.

Serious Q, though: Who would you go after? I don't see a C out there who's worth it right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The 2nd half of that Celtics game was a blast. Thankfully I missed the first half.

Everyone on D had active hands. A lot of intensity. Great intelligent switching on D. Great communication. Got who they wanted on the other team to take a majority of the shots during the run.

Hayward slashing constantly. He's drawing the 3rd or 4th best defenders on the opposing team and roasting them and kicking back out. Really enjoyable style. When Tatum and Kemba are both making shots, Celtics are in that top tier.

Hayward (not surprisingly) plays Brad's offense flawlessly. He even did late last year, but unfortunately Kyrie and Tatum were working against it, so Gordon would pass in circumstances where he was designed to get it back and never did. Stevens said Hayward and Brown were the only guys playing it as designed most nights. They have so many scorers, the key will be on the defensive end, especially against scoring bigs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There's no easy answer as to who, though. Just in terms of risk/reward for this season, it's smart to try to develop Time Lord and hope that Kanter has some more playoff magic in him (he's produced in the past).

Time Lord is an all time nickname. I'm also interested to see what he does with his minutes. But I've no feel for how that will pan out as of now.

Per what I said in my previous post, Kanter's durability is what I question.

Serious Q, though: Who would you go after? I don't see a C out there who's worth it right now.

That's the rub. I don't know. I guess it's true that their window is not immediate, so burning assets might not be the best move. I just think Danny holds on to those assets a little too long at times.

Reaction Score
09D71E0B-5AB4-4FED-957E-75FF5EE8DB38.gif

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Kanter's durability is what I question.
Understandably so. But between him, Lord, Theis & Poirier we've at least got four big bodies to rotate through the season and into the playoffs.

That's the rub. I don't know. I guess it's true that their window is not immediate, so burning assets might not be the best move. I just think Danny holds on to those assets a little too long at times.
Agree with that as well, but at least it's put us into the situation now where there's a clear path forward in developing the young assets we have. Tatum and Brown have improved – even if it hasn't been linear – and are still super young. Smart is still one of the best defenders in the league and a much better shooter, Kemba & Hayward are all-stars in their prime.

That group can rain fire from deep and midrange, and get to the line a ton. Philly's an intimidating ask because they're huge, but at the same time how is Al gonna do if he's running through screens chasing the Jays around the arc? Harris can't do that either. It's a pure contrast in styles.

I want to see what this group's got. I think it's a chance to be a better version of the 2016/17 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom