Kelsey Plum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought they could trade Plum for Coates and... or the equivalent thereof. What nobody is saying is that Plum is a "soft 1" which she is, just as Coates is a "soft 2".
Very good point - I strongly doubt she would have been top 3 and maybe not even a lottery pick in next years draft. But unlike some who would be picked ahead of her, I think she is a PR plus draft pick on a par with Stewart because of the records and her public persona.
If she isn't behind it she should fire her agent. Uh, KP ain't no EDD. She has no hold up leverage as an untried rookie.
She actually does have a little leverage that I had not understood - if she doesn't sign her contract and instead gets a grad assistant job or something similar, she could reenter the draft next year. That would be a disaster for SA and not too painful a price to pay.

I am not overly impressed with SA's management - Hughes last year and now Riley have had two very valuable draft picks and have succeeded in adding two PGs to a team that had a very good PG already in house and a dearth of other talent across the roster. They traded Robinson for Harrison and Coffey which is an OK return, but ... They still have a roster of jags at center and forward. I understand them not being interested in Coates given that they have what I consider a bunch of similarly skilled and flawed centers already on their roster, but I would think getting a first for next year and just about anything else for Plum at this point would be a windfall. Next year's first round is going to be loaded with talent since it is really two years of HS talent rolled into one year. Even if the first rounder ended up being in the 8-10 range, you should get the equivalent talent to a lottery pick from this year. Given their talent level their own pick is going to be in the lottery again so you would be adding two really good players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very good point - I strongly doubt she would have been top 3 and maybe not even a lottery pick in next years draft. But unlike some who would be picked ahead of her, I think she is a PR plus draft pick on a par with Stewart because of the records and her public persona.

She actually does have a little leverage that I had not understood - if she doesn't sign her contract and instead gets a grad assistant job or something similar, she could reenter the draft next year. That would be a disaster for SA and not too painful a price to pay.

I am not overly impressed with SA's management - Hughes last year and now Riley have had two very valuable draft picks and have succeeded in adding two PGs to a team that had a very good PG already in house and a dearth of other talent across the roster. They traded Robinson for Harrison and Coffey which is an OK return, but ... They still have a roster of jags at center and forward. I understand them not being interested in Coates given that they have what I consider a bunch of similarly skilled and flawed centers already on their roster, but I would think getting a first for next year and just about anything else for Plum at this point would be a windfall. Next year's first round is going to be loaded with talent since it is really two years of HS talent rolled into one year. Even if the first rounder ended up being in the 8-10 range, you should get the equivalent talent to a lottery pick from this year. Given their talent level their own pick is going to be in the lottery again so you would be adding two really good players.

Gotta gotta disagree on the hold out for a year for Plum. She'd be buried in negative PR (okay, it's the WNBA and people would forget in 3 days) but she's be last year's touchey feely story in next year's draft and "I strongly doubt she would have been top 3 and maybe not even a lottery pick in next years draft." Her story is buried up there in the Northwest Territory and will die as fast as it flourished. It is like no one talked to anyone before they showed up on "pick um" night. Sad spectacle.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Idk, her agent, Lindsay Kagawa Colas, represents half the stars in the WNBA (e.g. Griner, Maya, Stewie). I think she knows what she's doing.

IDK, sometimes these so called "super" agents have agendas that don't necessarily serve the interests of the client in front of them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Gotta gotta disagree on the hold out for a year for Plum. She'd be buried in negative PR (okay, it's the WNBA and people would forget in 3 days) but she's be last year's touchey feely story in next year's draft and "I strongly doubt she would have been top 3 and maybe not even a lottery pick in next years draft." Her story is buried up there in the Northwest Territory and will die as fast as it flourished. It is like no one talked to anyone before they showed up on "pick um" night. Sad spectacle.
She would be drafted next year and probably end up in a 'better place' and while her 'story would be dead, her game would not. I actually think the ideal place for her would have been Seattle - sharing and learning from Sue for a few years, freeing Loyd to be the two guard and not struggling playing the point when Sue rests.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She would be drafted next year and probably end up in a 'better place' and while her 'story would be dead, her game would not. I actually think the ideal place for her would have been Seattle - sharing and learning from Sue for a few years, freeing Loyd to be the two guard and not struggling playing the point when Sue rests.

That's a good choice and the NW would still embrace her. For San Antonio, I think it would be a gutsy choice, but Briona Jones would have been a better choice, but it is easy to say and hard to know if they could have swapped the 1 and got her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That's a good choice and the NW would still embrace her. For San Antonio, I think it would be a gutsy choice, but Briona Jones would have been a better choice, but it is easy to say and hard to know if they could have swapped the 1 and got her.
What's to say? Frankly I said all of this during the season. I said Coates or Jones were better choices for SA and that picking Plum first would be a mistake. Now look at the mess this has become.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A trade may still materialize, I think there are 12 days to do it. I suspect that San Antonio miscalculated what she would be worth on the market and now are still scrambling to do something. For me, Kelsey is obviously a vibrant personality and she's a shooter, but her foot speed and lack of defense discount her gaudy numbers as she moves up to the WNBA.

IF this is the case (I suspect you're right), and Riley did in fact mis-calculate Plum's worth on the post-draft open market, then for lots of reasons (potential internal distractions not with standing), the Stars need to recalculate her worth, make some calls, get a deal done, and send her on her way so that she, and the players they get in return can join in team workouts to get ready for the beginning of WNBA league play next week. The report card on Riley's first team draft as a GM, is not a good one.

Some are blaming Plum and her agent for this impasse. The ball was/is in the Star's court. They messed this up, not Plum. San Antonio was on the clock since it was determined they had the first pick in the draft. They had more than enough time to get their ducks (and draft strategy) in order. If the Stars wanted Coates, they should have drafted her!!! I'll bet Seattle would go way out on a limb to obtain Plum. SMH. :confused:

Jordy, I completely agree with your above comments. The last thing the Stars need at THIS time, is another PG. They have glaring needs at other positions. I hope this is not a prelude of what we can expect from Riley in the months and years to come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'Inside Game' was a reference to working the PR machine, not her on court play - she knew all the reporters and is very comfortable speaking with them.
Ok, thanks.

Reaction Score
Her agent needs to talk to Geno, CD, Shea and Marisa. What positions? Who has a 5'11" center and a 6'3" guard? Positions don't matter when you have players with the right mindset. UConn proved that this year. It was amazing to watch them switch off and guard the person in front of them. They didn't have to fight over or go around screens. They just defended whoever was in front of them.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum, college star and unproven WNBA talent, wants to go to a team without a point guard. There is none. Whatever team she went to she would have to either be flexible in where she plays or win the point guard position. If her agent is expressing Plum's views accurately, it sounds to me like she is afraid of having to compete with Moriah Jefferson and would be happier competing against someone else. While Plum's game is very good, in my opinion, to start your career with this kind of attitude seems to me to diminish your value to a team, including your trade value. You want star treatment before you've touched a ball in this league? Forget it. Sounds like one of those players who is corrosive to team cohesion. Not a smart way to start. Let's hope the agent is not reflecting her real sentiments.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum, college star and unproven WNBA talent, wants to go to a team without a point guard. There is none. Whatever team she went to she would have to either be flexible in where she plays or win the point guard position. If her agent is expressing Plum's views accurately, it sounds to me like she is afraid of having to compete with Moriah Jefferson and would be happier competing against someone else. While Plum's game is very good, in my opinion, to start your career with this kind of attitude seems to me to diminish your value to a team, including your trade value. You want star treatment before you've touched a ball in this league? Forget it. Sounds like one of those players who is corrosive to team cohesion. Not a smart way to start. Let's hope the agent is not reflecting her real sentiments.
I think the issue is you have a staff and management in place that have been working very hard to not have to draft Plum, failed in that endeavor while letting most of the league know that they really didn't want Plum, and then drafted her anyway while keeping Chicago on the line with a possible post draft trade that the SA GM walked away from leaving Chicago with a draft pick they probably don't much want either. SA is now dealing with a bunch of teams who are not exactly thrilled with them, and have probably lowered the offers still on the table, and with a player who isn't feeling particularly loved by her new team since everyone knows SA was trying to get rid of her before they selected her.

This is a very different situation than the one Moriah was in as the #2 pick last year - Hughes very loudly proclaimed that he didn't see how anyone could possibly offer him enough value for that pick, he would respectfully listen to anyone who might call, but it would be a cold day in hell before he parted with it. (Seattle didn't even bother with any qualifications regarding the #1 pick. :cool:)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There's a lot more where that tweet came from. I count 13 more Plum tweets from the Stars account today alone. I doubt they'd be pushing her this hard if they had plans to deal her, but I guess we'll find out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Good point, because we all know who's coming out next year.............A'ja Wilson. As a casual observer, I would think she would more than solve their need at the post position. Talented 6'5" BIGS are always coveted, and in short supply in the W.

While I realize there will be a plethora of highly talented players coming out next year, Wilson may very well be the top pick. It would not surprise me to see teams at the bottom of the standings with a month left in the season, begin to "TANK" in hopes of qualifying for that first pick, and the right to draft Wilson.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good point, because we all know who's coming out next year...A'ja Wilson. As a casual observer, I would think she would more than solve their need at the post position. Talented 6'5" BIGS are always coveted, and in short supply in the W.

While I realize there will be a plethora of highly talented players coming out next year, Wilson may very well be the top pick. It would not surprise me to see teams at the bottom of the standings with a month left in the season, begin to "TANK" in hopes of qualifying for that first pick, and the right to draft Wilson.
With the lottery on who gets the first pick, it is actually the borderline playoff teams that might tank. While the percentage does go up the further down the list you are, the actual #1 doesn't usually land in the lap of the worst team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought I would point out how Plum's career started at UW, since probably many of you didn't follow her very closely til the last year or two. When she was a Fr., the Huskies had a player who was a Jr., also a sub 6 foot, high scoring PG--Jazmine Davis. They peacefully coexisted in the backcourt together for 2 years. Both had the ball in their hands plenty of the time and both scored a lot. Didn't seem to matter who was the PG and who was the 2. Davis was still able to keep scoring enough once Plum joined the team that she finished her career as the leading scorer in UW history (Plum however broke that record less than a year later).

I'm sure Plum would rather be a primary PG, and in SA barring a catastrophic injury, Jefferson is going to be that for probably the next 10-15 years. But I really don't think she's a prima dona player who's going to try to rock the boat.

Reaction Score
Good point, because we all know who's coming out next year...A'ja Wilson. As a casual observer, I would think she would more than solve their need at the post position. Talented 6'5" BIGS are always coveted, and in short supply in the W.

They changed the rules last year to make it harder to tank short term and get the top pick. You have to have the cumulative worst record over the last two years to get the best chance. I think it was in response to the appearance that Phoenix purposely tanked to get Griner.

The good news is that if the Sun stink again this year, they might be in the running for Wilson.

Reaction Score
I think you're over analyzing it. Her teammates at UW loved her and she was all about winning games.
You are probably right. she really seems like a fine young woman. But it is then perplexing as to why her agent would make the kind of statements in question. It gives a bad impression which doesn't seem to serve Kelsey's interest. Sincerely, I hope it works out as well as it did her first 2 years in college sharing the PG position. That would be good for Moriah.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You are probably right. she really seems like a fine young woman. But it is then perplexing as to why her agent would make the kind of statements in question. It gives a bad impression which doesn't seem to serve Kelsey's interest. Sincerely, I hope it works out as well as it did her first 2 years in college sharing the PG position. That would be good for Moriah.

It sounded like not an ideal situation for all parties involved. The new coach at SA didn't help the situation. Appears management bungled trade possibilities. I don't think Plum's agent helped either.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think about 95% of the fault is with San Antonio for the complete bungling of the whole draft/trade situation and then going basically silent post draft.

I suspect SA didn't want to do anything publicly about Plum until they explored all their options. And I suspect Plum and her agent were getting a bit browned off about it - interesting that a little public noise from the agent and there is an immediate 'party day' in SA to celebrate their signing of Plum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom