Kelly Oubre Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelly Oubre Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good points. Regarding Abu, it just seems like he is much closer to PC than UCONN. How many times has he been to PC on various visits and pop-ins? Its been a lot. The kid has barely said 2 things about UCONN (or some it seems in compariuson to UCONN). I think that we could have been on him much earlier than just when the summer eval period started. Just really seems lioke we are swimming upstream on him and P. Chuckwu.

Again, its just my interpreation in reading the tea leaves. I hope to heck I am wrong on this and I'd be ecstatic if I windf up being 100% wron on this. However, my fear is that I'm not wrong on this.

Abu has visited UConn before, and UConn couldn't watch him in the spring due to the NCAA restrictions, you can't blame KO for that. If we get Abu I honestly wouldn't be too upset about losing on Chukwu, a PF is more of a need right now imo than a C. Despite Brimah's low ranking I think with his athleticism and wingpan I think he could give us rebounding and shotblocking at the bare minimum, and I think Nolan is better suited to play C in a fast system and will continue to get better as well.

Reaction Score
Abu has visited UConn before, and UConn couldn't watch him in the spring due to the NCAA restrictions, you can't blame KO for that. If we get Abu I honestly wouldn't be too upset about losing on Chukwu, a PF is more of a need right now imo than a C. Despite Brimah's low ranking I think with his athleticism and wingpan I think he could give us rebounding and shotblocking at the bare minimum, and I think Nolan is better suited to play C in a fast system and will continue to get better as well.

I have no problem with any of that. I hope to heck you are right on this.

Reaction Score
You are insane. We are top 8 with McLaughlin, getting an official from Snider, Top 3 for Perkins (he still may visit), we are top 4 with Abu, Top 3 with Chukwu, we were top 10 with Joseph, we got Rodney so we stopped recruiting Terrell, we are still in the mix with Okonoboh. We are top 5 with Devin Robinson and he has said he 'definitely' wants to visit. We are top 10 with Larrier and top 8 with Oubre.

Ollie has been recruiting Abu since early on and saw him play 11 times in July. He was early on Devin Robinson. He was in early on McLaughlin. He was in early on Chukwu, he is early on Dorsey/Rabb/Zimmerman/Malachi Richardson/Isaiah Briscoe etc.

HE HAS BEEN DOING THIS ALL WITH RECRUITING RESTRICTIONS FROM THE NCAA.

So no, he should not give up Southern Cali, Maryland, Georgia, Virginia, New York Metro, etc just to focus on New England when he's already holding his own there. If he did that he would be unfit to coach Uconn
David,

Thanks for the concise wrap up on where we stand with a lot of these guys. It seems we're top 5-8 with a lot of these guys when top 1 at the end is all that really matters. Just feels like we're on the outside looking in on too many of these kids.

Reaction Score
David,

Thanks for the concise wrap up on where we stand with a lot of these guys. It seems we're top 5-8 with a lot of these guys when top 1 at the end is all that really matters. Just feels like we're on the outside looking in on too many of these kids.

It's like this every year.

Even with Calhoun last year, we got nervous at the end when it came down to 2 schools.

Outside of Kemba who seemed like UConn from the get go, I can't remember many clearcut favorites. Jeff Adrien is another. But Rudy Gay, Denham Brown, AJ Price, Rashad Anderson, Emeka Okafor, Caron Butler, etc., UConn had to beat out other schools to land these guys at the very end, and in all these cases UConn lost out on kids like Brandon Jennings, Deon Thompson, Ike Diogu, Jamal Sampson, Mustafa Shakur, Durand Scott, James White, etc. Some of these kids sported UConn shirts everywhere and had UConn as #1.

Reaction Score
David,

That is EXACTLY my point. I think we could have done better by focusing / emphasizg the local NE guys who are plenty talented and we naturally have a higher chance of getting if for no other reasons than we are UCONN and local.

Reaction Score
That is EXACTLY my point. I think we could have done better by focusing / emphasizg the local NE guys who are plenty talented and we naturally have a higher chance of getting if for no other reasons than we are UCONN and local.

Sorry, no. As has been pointed out the more local players were given their due attention. If we want to remain a program with national prominence we will need to recruit nationally. We can't live on NE talent alone. If we want to be a nice little regional program we should do as you suggest.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry, no. As has been pointed out the more local players were given their due attention. If we want to remain a program with national prominence we will need to recruit nationally. We can't live on NE talent alone. If we want to be a nice little regional program we should do as you suggest.
Exactly. The past couple of seasons NE has been a hotbed for talented recruits. But that isn't always the case. PC has no choice but to recruit locally at this juncture. UConn, as do all top programs, have the luxury of reaching out to all parts of the country and even internationally.

As has been pointed out, KO has exceeded expectations. Recruiting is about establishing relationships with people at the hs and aau levels. KO is just getting started with this process.

Reaction Score

1) Ollie followed around Abu (and the assistants followed around Chukwu) for the entire July live period. We had representation at every single game they played.

2) Daniel Hamilton is better than every single 2014 New England kid. Would you really have preferred that Ollie not go after him? The same can arguably be said for Purvis when compared to a New England combo/shooting guard like Terrell.

So I think it's clear that Ollie has prioritized the local bigs in this class, while the local guards became less of a priority once Purvis and Hamilton were in tow.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We have Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis while being named heavily with many top guys as well as others......how people can be so negative is beyond me. But hey it's the Boneyard.
Not just the Boneyard. Admired your attempt to clarify the illusion that the men's game has flawed dynamics vs. the women's game on the women's board. Would have supported you there but others had your back.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agree with FastEddy to an extent. Ollie seems to chase the recruit that has recently blown up. Perkins, Oubre, Robinson, etc.

I guarantee if we were more consistent with Abu through late winter/spring, he would have committed by now.

Reaction Score
I agree with FastEddy to an extent. Ollie seems to chase the recruit that has recently blown up. Perkins, Oubre, Robinson, etc.

I guarantee if we were more consistent with Abu through late winter/spring, he would have committed by now.

I disagree here.

Ollie was on Oubre and Robinson long before they blew up.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I disagree here.

Ollie was on Oubre and Robinson long before they blew up.

I put more emphasis on the Abu part. It is debatable whether or not a recruit is being recruited just by saying, "their in my top 10" or "yeah I got an offer."

Reaction Score
Not just the Boneyard. Admired your attempt to clarify the illusion that the men's game has flawed dynamics vs. the women's game on the women's board. Would have supported you there but others had your back.

Some of those posters are arrogant and ignorant about the women's game. Even the obvious flies by them and they create their own ideas on just how damn good they play the game..........I admitted they are great I like them. To justify how that's the way to play is ridiculous and it kills me. That's why I need to stay away from there because I am sure they are all very nice people, just not too smart when it comes to hoops!! LOL...:oops:.......but thanks for having my back. Tough crowd ... LOL

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Some of those posters are arrogant and ignorant about the women's game. Even the obvious flies by them and they create their own ideas on just how damn good they play the game..........I admitted they are great I like them. To justify how that's the way to play is ridiculous and it kills me. That's why I need to stay away from there because I am sure they are all very nice people, just not too smart when it comes to hoops!! LOL...:oops:.......but thanks for having my back. Tough crowd ... LOL

I remember posting about Geno's bad play-calling in the 2013 BE Championship game and the posters there said the alley-oop to Briana Stewart was a great call...:confused:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's just one person's opinion but I totally agree with the point you made about the men's game having greater equality with athleticism, if not equal talent, than the woman's game. And that this is by far and away the most salient reason for the game looking less developed from a passing standpoint. And you were correct to point out that's exactly what happens to the UConn women's team when they go against teams with equal athleticism. It's just that in the woman's game it is only a handful or so of teams as opposed to 60 to 100 men's teams. Most posters in this forum will agree with us.

The fans on the women's forum have a range of comprehension of the game. Certainly there are a few unsophisticated posters. But most of them really know their stuff. Some of the fans ( and from my observation it is only a minority) you engaged with are the typical fan that always want to embellish the team they are rooting for above the team's specific accomplishments. It isn't enough that they are rooting for the best women's bb program by far. They want to make themselves feel even more important so they reduce the value of the competition that can challenge their team's value (in their mind). So they put down the play of the men's game.

We do it in this forum although how we do it and what we do will be different. It's normal. It's all about making ourselves feel good. Just look at all the responses to PC fans. It isn't just about players or games or accomplishments. There is a need to make outsiders feel less relevant or irrelevant. Which is the same as saying there is a need to elevate our relevancy.

You have a passion for basketball - period. And that is why you'll have discussions with PC fans even as others in this forum want them to go away. And you'll debate women's fans even as most of the men's fans wouldn't go near them. The reason is you respect the game as much as the team you're passionate about. The only flaw to your discourse is on occasion you let something someone says affect you personally. When that happens the sophistication of your knowledge deteriorates considerably,

Reaction Score
It's just one person's opinion but I totally agree with the point you made about the men's game having greater equality with athleticism, if not equal talent, than the woman's game. And that this is by far and away the most salient reason for the game looking less developed from a passing standpoint. And you were correct to point out that's exactly what happens to the UConn women's team when they go against teams with equal athleticism. It's just that in the woman's game it is only a handful or so of teams as opposed to 60 to 100 men's teams. Most posters in this forum will agree with us.

The fans on the women's forum have a range of comprehension of the game. Certainly there are a few unsophisticated posters. But most of them really know their stuff. Some of the fans ( and from my observation it is only a minority) you engaged with are the typical fan that always want to embellish the team they are rooting for above the team's specific accomplishments. It isn't enough that they are rooting for the best women's bb program by far. They want to make themselves feel even more important so they reduce the value of the competition that can challenge their team's value (in their mind). So they put down the play of the men's game.

We do it in this forum although how we do it and what we do will be different. It's normal. It's all about making ourselves feel good. Just look at all the responses to PC fans. It isn't just about players or games or accomplishments. There is a need to make outsiders feel less relevant or irrelevant. Which is the same as saying there is a need to elevate our relevancy.

You have a passion for basketball - period. And that is why you'll have discussions with PC fans even as others in this forum want them to go away. And you'll debate women's fans even as most of the men's fans wouldn't go near them. The reason is you respect the game as much as the team you're passionate about. The only flaw to your discourse is on occasion you let something someone says affect you personally. When that happens the sophistication of your knowledge deteriorates considerably,

Damn fleudy that was well thought out and well stated!!

Good news is I'm never gonna change.....oh crap that's also bad news!!;)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Damn fleudy that was well thought out and well stated!!

Good news is I'm never gonna change.....oh crap that's also bad news!!;)
I never try to change people. Just being a mirror and letting the person looking at himself decide if he likes the clothing he's wearing.

Reaction Score
I never try to change people. Just being a mirror and letting the person looking at himself decide if he likes the clothing he's wearing.

Love my clothing.........company NIKE golf shirts mostly with casual slacks, Ecco shoes every day or Tommy Bahama camp shirts for the weekend!! LOL........;) I hear ya by the way just trying to have fun.

It just seemed like everything you said was spot on until you said I occasionally take things personally......huh? Me? :rolleyes:.....lol

Reaction Score
Oubre is nothin more than a 3.. If he stretches than he'd be pretty undersized

Reaction Score

Perkins yes, Oubre & Robinson, no. UConn was the first major school to offer Robinson and he even said so himself.

Reaction Score

It was hard to stay right on players during late winter/spring because of recruiting violations. That is one of the reasons (in my opinion) he is going after recruits who recently blew up as he isn't put at a disadvantage as much compared to recruits who have been highly ranked since they were freshman.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Love my clothing.........company NIKE golf shirts mostly with casual slacks, Ecco shoes every day or Tommy Bahama camp shirts for the weekend!! LOL........;) I hear ya by the way just trying to have fun.

It just seemed like everything you said was spot on until you said I occasionally take things personally......huh? Me? :rolleyes:.....lol
Yes you, you mumu!:cool: Man I'd love to get Abu and you and I could have a field day comparing his game to AO's game.

Reaction Score

As usual, I have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, we were late to the game with Perkins so I'll give you that one.

The biggest reason why many think we're in great shape for Robinson is because he has said numerous times that Uconn was the first major school to offer him back when he was considered a mid-major recruit. We were ahead of the game on him.

Oubre made a point several months ago to say that Uconn was recruiting him harder than anyone else. He has since blown up to the extent that Kansas and Kentucky are now all over him too, and it seems that he will have a hard time saying no to those schools.

Abu, if you recall, came to the Fordham game back in November. We clearly have been on him for a very long time. Providence apparently has been to every single one of his AAU games in the last few live periods. Uconn wasn't even allowed on the road in April - maybe that hurt us, maybe it didn't.

But you're just flat out wrong if you think Ollie is waiting too long to get involved with these guys.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
As usual, I have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, we were late to the game with Perkins so I'll give you that one.

The biggest reason why many think we're in great shape for Robinson is because he has said numerous times that Uconn was the first major school to offer him back when he was considered a mid-major recruit. We were ahead of the game on him.

Oubre made a point several months ago to say that Uconn was recruiting him harder than anyone else. He has since blown up to the extent that Kansas and Kentucky are now all over him too, and it seems that he will have a hard time saying no to those schools.

Abu, if you recall, came to the Fordham game back in November. We clearly have been on him for a very long time. Providence apparently has been to every single one of his AAU games in the last few live periods. Uconn wasn't even allowed on the road in April - maybe that hurt us, maybe it didn't.

But you're just flat out wrong if you think Ollie is waiting too long to get involved with these guys.
We really quieted down on Abu in the spring after he visited w/ Terrell. You can't blame recruiting violations as to why in my opinion, because during that same time we were actively Purvis/Hamilton and got them to commit. Abu fell to the back burner for a couple months, and he knew it. So it hurts our chances with him a tad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom