Kelis Fisher commits to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelis Fisher commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On hearing the news, I immediately googled any available videos of Kelis. I came across last summer’s AAU highlights, and while I was most definitely impressed, the first thing I thought was how much better she’ll be in 3 years.

Subsequently, I watched the video of her highlights with IMG in the November Thanksgiving tournament, and was amazed at how much better she looked from the summer.

Kelis may currently be #23 on national recruiting lists, but I have no doubt she will get the “UConn bounce” ending up in the top 10 by her senior year.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Kelis Fisher...Welcome to UConn! Keep em' comin'...this never gets old.
Actually, it appears to be getting younger and younger based upon the ages the latest verbal and signed commitments. Always a good thing to get an excellent player from Brenda’s backyard.

Welcome to the UConn Territory, Kelis!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am going to hold you to that promise. I am surprised any guard would commit to UConn with the guard commitments they already have. However, I am glad Kelis did.
She is 2025. Nika will have graduated when Kelis arrives.

Guards in 2025-2026
Ines, Sr
KK, Jr
Ashlynn, Jr (shooting guard)
Allie, So (shooting guard)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She is 2025. Nika will have graduated when Kelis arrives.

Guards in 2025-2026
Ines, Sr
KK, Jr
Ashlynn, Jr (shooting guard)
Allie, So (shooting guard)
We need an updated grid.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
We need an updated grid.

Reaction Score
Fisher among the most efficient scorers at last summer's GUAA events, and well above other elite guards Johnson, Scott, Williams, and Fulwiley.

FYye9fpXoAA1GQn
Take note, she is the youngest of the group! Also, in the other posted pic with Geno, she is inches smaller than coach. The 5'9" appears very generous, but looks like we got a Play-ah!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Went back to look at Kelis twitter to see what offers she had received, up to her UConn commitment. Somewhat amazing that the only UConn mention was after this tweet on 8/22. She thanked UConn on her unofficial visit on 10/23 with pics of the team and Geno. Is it me, or does UConn tend to stay quiet on things, and in the same vein, recruits tend to do the same?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Congratulations and a warm and sincere welcome to Kelis Fisher. Always happy to have a recruit join the family. I'm embarrassed to admit that before reading this post, I had never heard of her. I have now and will get to know her better in the coming months. I look forward to watching her play, grow and mature under Geno's tutelage.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Please note that Aubrey could play next year based on a medical hardship appeal, irrespective of COVID. I predict she will.
Yes, although per some of my prior posts, I'm not making any assumptions on redshirts (Aubrey, Paige, Ice) so I'm keeping them off for now.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Please note that Aubrey could play next year based on a medical hardship appeal, irrespective of COVID. I predict she will.
Actually she can play the next two years and no waivers are required.
With the Covid year (20-21) ruling, that year is wiped out for both the 5 year running clock and use of competition year.
So her freshman year 19-20 was year 1 of competition
20-21 COVID year
21-22 she did not play at all so she did no use her year of competition.
22-23 is her second year of competition used.
So she has 2 more years (23-24 and 24-25) of time to use her final 2 more years of competitions if she desires.
No waiver is required.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Actually she can play the next two years and no waivers are required.
With the Covid year (20-21) ruling, that year is wiped out for both the 5 year running clock and use of competition year.
So her freshman year 19-20 was year 1 of competition
20-21 COVID year
21-22 she did not play at all so she did no use her year of competition.
22-23 is her second year of competition used.
So she has 2 more years (23-24 and 24-25) of time to use her final 2 more years of competitions if she desires.
No waiver is required.
Right. I was responding to the non-COVID chart which excluded Aubrey from next year's roster.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Went back to look at Kelis twitter to see what offers she had received, up to her UConn commitment. Somewhat amazing that the only UConn mention was after this tweet on 8/22. She thanked UConn on her unofficial visit on 10/23 with pics of the team and Geno. Is it me, or does UConn tend to stay quiet on things, and in the same vein, recruits tend to do the same?
Two things:
1. Uconn is very quiet about players of interest (NCAA requirement) and even about commitments (also NCAA requirement) - Geno's comment about 'two the next year' being a very rare occurrence. I think a lot of this is based on Uconn and Geno having such a high profile that him talking to a little league pitcher gets reported as a violation, for example. None of those little 'a little birdy is landing' tweets from Uconn! (Thank god!)

2. With players this young making a commit, I always assume that the player was already hoping for an offer from a specific school and when it arrived they were already committed and just waiting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hi Gus. I hope you're right!!! :)

Jim

Reaction Score

NCAA rules prevent teams discussing a recruit until the signed Letter of Intent has been received. They can only make vague comments like “we have some talented people coming in next year.”

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think it used to be the case that a coach could say, "We are actively recruiting so-and-so" without sanction.

NCAA experts, what say you?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it used to be the case that a coach could say, "We are actively recruiting so-and-so" without sanction.

NCAA experts, what say you?
Nope. Naming names, posting pictures, posing for pictures, all no nos. The information about specific named recruits is supposed to be only released by recruits and their entourage. The school and it's boosters are supposed to be silent even about official visits and protect the recruits from unauthorized attention while on campus.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nope. Naming names, posting pictures, posing for pictures, all no nos. The information about specific named recruits is supposed to be only released by recruits and their entourage. The school and it's boosters are supposed to be silent even about official visits and protect the recruits from unauthorized attention while on campus.
Here's what I find in the NCAA bylaws (emphasis mine)

13.10 Publicity.

13.10.1 Publicity Before Commitment.

13.10.1.1 Comments Before Commitment.
Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid or before the institution receives the prospective student-athlete's financial deposit in response to its offer of admission, an institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete's ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete committing to or signing with that institution. [D] (Revised: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom