Katz on UMass | The Boneyard

Katz on UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No new developments, just stating his opinion:

3. Lost among the alignment moves that didn't happen on July 1 are schools that stayed put like UMass. The Minutemen will have to make some decisions with their football program wanting to be relevant. UMass was a finalist for a spot in the American before the league went with Tulsa for its latest spot. The Minutemen should eventually lobby to be included. UConn actually has only one school left (after Rutgers leaves) in the Northeast in Temple. The Huskies have always fancied themselves above their northern neighbors, but adding the Minutemen for all sports makes too much sense. If UConn can check its pride then pushing for inclusion of UMass would be another way to bolster the American -- adding a rising basketball program and a school that would at the very least get the American brand name in the Boston area when UMass comes to the capital city (usually at least once a year).

I could see this happening... just hoping UConn isn't still around when UMass is invited!

Reaction Score
Nope. I don't see any value there. No adding schools that provide zilch to upgrade the conference and eat away at the pay we get.

If we expand it should only be with BYU, Boise or a service academy (Army/Air Force). Nobody else is worth it financially. If UCONN ever gets out, they can add UMASS to replace us.

And of course UCONN fancies itself superior. Compare our resumes and facilities. It's like saying Michigan fancies itself superior to Eastern Michigan.

Reaction Score
If UMass would invest in its football program I would be fine with this. Until the school plays its football games at a stadium closer than 1 hour 45 minutes from campus, I can't see any benefit in adding them to the American. Would it be nice to have a natural rival in the conference? Heck ya, but not at the price of watering down a severly watered down product as it is with one of the worst teams in the country that's administration and state considered canning after one year at FCS level.

Is Umass really a rising basketball program? They haven't made the tournament since the 98 season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why does it seem like we're always portrayed as the bad guys, when in reality we've been the ones getting screwed?

Of course we view ourselves better than UMass, were better than them in nearly every single measurable way.

Reaction Score
Why does it seem like we're always portrayed as the bad guys, when in reality we've been the ones getting screwed?

Of course we view ourselves better than UMass, were better than them in nearly every single measurable way.

It's a combination of two things:

1. We're hyper sensitive
2. We win tons of championships so its fun to kick us when we're down.

Reaction Score
Obviously we are superior to UMASS in every way imaginable, but I support anything that improves our basketball league. At least they are a top 100 RPI most years unlike schools like Tulsa and ECU. It's a short trip and a guaranteed win in every sport.

Reaction Score
Obviously we are superior to UMASS in every way imaginable, but I support anything that improves our basketball league. At least they are a top 100 RPI most years unlike schools like Tulsa and ECU. It's a short trip and a guaranteed win in every sport.
They don't have to be in our conference to play them.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UMass is only slightly less relevant in Boston as BC is, which is to say, not at all. Though it's in the same state, Amherst is 1:53 way from the Golden Dome of the Olde State House. By comparison, Hillside Rd is 1:36 away.

The one time per year that UMass plays "in the capital city" is against BC, at the Garden. The only capital city in which a "U" Game will be played is Hartford.

In terms of Football, They have to throw a ton more dollars at their infrastructure. Yes they've won a D1AA national championship recently, but Mark Whipple is not walking through that door. They went FBS by the skin of their teeth and some who initially supported the decision are second guessing themselves.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...senate-motion-to-leave-fbs-falls-a-vote-short

Reaction Score
UMass and some other MAC schools will be dropping football from D1 in the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
They don't have to be in our conference to play them.

Only way I would play them out of conference is if they come to us every year. It's important we schedule the Florida, Kansas, Indiana type bball schools OOC, but no way is it worth it to give up revenue traveling to UMass

Reaction Score
So other schools like bcu, Cuse, Pitt, etc don't have to agree to invite Uconn to the ACC and actually block us, but Uconn on the other hand, should be the nice guy and lead the charge to invite Umass because it will be good for both schools? Nope, not buying it. F *ck everyone else.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
So other schools like bcu, Cuse, Pitt, etc don't have to agree to invite Uconn to the ACC and actually block us, but Uconn on the other hand, should be the nice guy and lead the charge to invite Umass because it will be good for both schools? Nope, not buying it. F *ck everyone else.

My sentiments exactly. I got nothing against UMass personally, but F the double standard that we should look out for other school's interests when clearly most other schools are actively working against ours. From this point forward, it's all about UConn, and the rest of the college universe can pound sand.

Reaction Score
Also we will swallow our pride, when bc swallows theirs and starts advocating for our inclussion in the acc. I don't mind umass in the american, its just hypocritical for Katz to write that about us given what we've been thru in conference realignment. Fluck Katz for saying that

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I woukd rather add buffalo than umass.
I agree, Buffalo before Umass. The state of MA will never fully support their public higher ed system the way D1 / BCS bubble school should. The AAC is destine to be a continental conference with a stronger southern and central presence vs northeast.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to UMass, UConn can't get sucked into any such discussions. All efforts must be directed at getting UConn out of the dump of a conference it is in. Nothing should be discussed unless directed at that goal. Complacency will seep into our consciousness if we waver from the goal. UConn has invested and accomplished too much to even think about how they can settle into the AAC for any length of time in any comfortable fashion. The AAC is an abject joke and the UConn administrators have to hear that every day. Further, starting with WM, they have to be judged on how quickly they get us the hell out of this mess.

End of story

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sure, Andy.

The AAC can add UMass and capture the Boston market. (Different than capturing a Boston Market.)

Once that's done, ESPN can up the television contract by a bunch of millions to reflect the new addition - that's how it works, right?

Husky25

Reaction Score
While a decent source for basketball, Katz knows next to nothing about football.

Reaction Score
If UConn can check its pride then pushing for inclusion of UMass would be another way to bolster the American

The problem lies in the assumption that UConn would, or even should, want to bolster the American. Strengthening UMass in New England diminishes UConn's value to the B1G. Why endeavor to bifurcate (however unlikely) New England fans then try to market ourselves as New England's team?

Husky25

Reaction Score
The problem lies in the assumption that UConn would, or even should, want to bolster the American. Strengthening UMass in New England diminishes UConn's value to the B1G. Why endeavor to bifurcate (however unlikely) New England fans then try to market ourselves as New England's team?

UConn is fighting the battle on two fronts.

1) The desire to be New England's team
2) The desire to be know as the school that delivered the BTN to New York City

Connecticut has an identity issue as it is a part of two geographic regions: New England and the Tri-State Area. Just like a football team having two starting QBs means it has none. If a state has two identities it doesn't have any either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We need a local rival or we will just accelerate our irrelevancy. We will not survive as an athletic program in a southern mid major league.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I say we add the University of Toronto.

What the hell - Aresco wants to be creative? Add a Canadian to the American and blow everyone's mind.

They're like Tulane, but hurricane-proof.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We need a local rival or we will just accelerate our irrelevancy. We will not survive as an athletic program in a southern mid major league.

That rival does not need to be in the conference. It just needs to agree to play.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I say we add the University of Toronto.

What the hell - Aresco wants to be creative? Add a Canadian to the American and blow everyone's mind.

They're like Tulane, but hurricane-proof.
I seriously think this is a great idea. Of course it probably is impossible to structure the NCAA student athlete concept in another country....but it sure would be cool and lock up the 27MM people in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom