Katz on UMass | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Katz on UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a UMass homer, lets be honest, UConn belongs in the MAC. Sam should not join the AAC, a lateral Group of Five conference with too much travel involved. Western Michigan !!

Reaction Score
As a UMass homer, lets be honest, UConn belongs in the MAC. Sam should not join the AAC, a lateral Group of Five conference with too much travel involved. Western Michigan !!

UConn, a national championship winning team in men's and women's basketball, should be in a power conference and the question is whether the B1G or ACC will figure this out first.

Reaction Score
I honestly can't tell if Fishy is just screwing with you guys with this U Toronto BS.

I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I can't believe anyone is taking it seriously.

It's a message board. Take the stick out of your butt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a message board. Take the stick out of your butt.

LOL. You will argue to the death about Harvey Mudd College being ranked above Reed College in the humanities.

Reaction Score
When? After you've posted a dozen consecutive times about the state university at buffalo?

When people are having light conversations. That's when. do it in context. Don't show up to church acting like Rodney Dangerfield. Not the proper time. On a message board when people are talking about U. Toronto, relax.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When people are having light conversations. That's when. do it in context. Don't show up to church acting like Rodney Dangerfield. Not the proper time. On a message board when people are talking about U. Toronto, relax.

Guy I was always relaxed. I honestly can't tell if Fishy was serious about Toronto. Either he was being sarcastic and laughing at the idiots taking Toronto seriously or HFD has pushed him over edge.

Reaction Score
Guy I was always relaxed. I honestly can't tell if Fishy was serious about Toronto. Either he was being sarcastic and laughing at the idiots taking Toronto seriously or HFD has pushed him over edge.

People are just talking about it. No one thinks we're adding Toronto. Oh my god.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Back on subject, I know I'm in the minority here but if UMass showed a serious commitment to football, I would definitely not mind if they joined the AAC while we were still here.

That being said, I don't see it happening regardless. What would create the need to add another team? No point in diluting our already diluted TV contract and if it comes to replacing another team that leaves, I'd hope it was us so it would be moot regardless.

Reaction Score
We start out by adding a bowl game in toronto of the American #10-12 vs Canadian champ in the dudly do right bowl

Reaction Score
Other downside:

The NCAA would have to change its rules to allow UToronto, or any other Canadian school, to play in Division I athletics.

Just give them the Alabama State exemption.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's a combination of two things:

1. We're hyper sensitive
2. We win tons of championships so its fun to kick us when we're down.

Yes but you have it in the wrong order.

Reaction Score
I live in the Boston area. There is no interest in UMass or UMass athletics. The biggest college football game in the Boston area is Havard/Yale. Unlike UConn, the state doesn't care or invest in UMass and most view Western Mass as a different state.

The AAC can't invite a school that gets 15k for football games and that is what UMass draws. That is MAC level. And their home stadium is closer to UConn than UMass. Heck, the Rent is closer to Amherst than Gillette Stadium. In football, they don't bring anything to the party and they are as relevant as East Carolina in basketball.

30 to 40 years ago, UMass and UConn were peer schools. After decades of investment and upgrading they are not.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
People are just talking about it. No one thinks we're adding Toronto. Oh my god.
Not if Pudge shows up in this thread. Toronto to the Americanadian. McGill to the Ivy. UBC to the MWC or Pac.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get the sentiment, but knocking a school for playing football off campus is a little like the pot calling kettle black.

Maybe. But the fact remains our stadium is closer to their campus than theirs is.

Reaction Score
UMass fan and agree we have a long way to go to catch-up in the MAC, never mind the AAC. Yes, the State will not fully fund us but as part of the 15oth anniversary, the athletic department's goal is to raise 33 Mil. In the past month we have received a 2.25 Mil and a 2.5 Mill gift so we are now over 20 Mill towards the 33 Mill goal for 2015.

Hope we can get a series going starting in 2015.

Footnote: While not making the NCAA since 1998 is true, we have been in the NIT 3 out of the last 6 years and in the NIT Final 4 two of those years.

7156894.jpeg

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061013aaa.html

Reaction Score
Steve not flaming you here, but NIT, really? Good luck to your teams, hope we play again, but NIT, really?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yes, the State will not fully fund us but as part of the 15oth anniversary, the athletic department's goal is to raise 33 Mil. In the past month we have received a 2.25 Mil and a 2.5 Mill gift so we are now over 20 Mill towards the 33 Mill goal for 2015.

LMAO awww how cute $33 million

Steve, I'm sure you're every bit the Umass fan that the UConn fans here are. The problem is there's only about 5,000 of you and your state legislature refuses to acknowledge your existence.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What bothers me about Rutgers is basically its UMass with a bigger football stadium.

Reaction Score
What bothers me about Rutgers is basically its UMass with a bigger football stadium.
Hey. UMass won a championship in football more recently than 1869.

pj

Reaction Score
Steve not flaming you here, but NIT, really? Good luck to your teams, hope we play again, but NIT, really?

UConn's rise to prominence was heralded by its NIT championship. It is a building block for UMass. Good for them. I too hope we create a football series. I'd rather play UMass and Buffalo than Western Michigan.

Reaction Score
UConn's rise to prominence was heralded by its NIT championship. It is a building block for UMass. Good for them. I too hope we create a football series. I'd rather play UMass and Buffalo than Western Michigan.
Katz seems to be well meaning.
What he doesn't understand is the state of the UConn fan.
Its just one more perceived insult we don't need at this time.
Give us s break.
Acceptance of UMass is a future discussion maybe 3 or 4 years.
I'm not sure Umass spending UConn type football dollars is in their best interest.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
UMASS has not committed to big-time football nearly to the extent UCONN has. It's just a completely different realm. UMASS is in for a long haul in the MAC and they will be lucky if they play UCONN within a 21 point spread over the next 5 years. Whether they are in the MAC or AAC won't change that, so I don't know why the AAC would want them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hey anytime you can add the worst football team in the MAC, that also hasn't made the NCAAT since 1998, you gotta do it, right?

NOTE: Mr. Aresco if you're reading this, that was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom