Katie Lou to the Rescue | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou to the Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes. She has the index finger on right hand taped at the middle joint. She has had it for at least the last 3 games. Evidently, it was mangled in practice.
I saw her with tape on in one game. I hadn't heard anyone say anything about it though. Haven't noticed it in other games though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No one on here has brought it up, but it has been a really strange early season schedule - not based on competition, but on timing of games - we played our exhibitions, then sat until OSU, then sat 7 days till KSU, then 5 till Nebraska. It has had no rhythm to it and that can play tricks on players. And now we have a little flurry this week and next followed by exams, one more game and then Christmas. I can't remember a more disjointed schedule to start a year - It really isn't until January where we get the 2 games each week sort of rhythm.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw her with tape on in one game. I hadn't heard anyone say anything about it though. Haven't noticed it in other games though.

She still has the tape I think.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No one on here has brought it up, but it has been a really strange early season schedule - not based on competition, but on timing of games - we played our exhibitions, then sat until OSU, then sat 7 days till KSU, then 5 till Nebraska. It has had no rhythm to it and that can play tricks on players. And now we have a little flurry this week and next followed by exams, one more game and then Christmas. I can't remember a more disjointed schedule to start a year - It really isn't until January where we get the 2 games each week sort of rhythm.

Absolutely agree. CD said a while back that they had hoped for one of those Thanksgiving Tourneys but could not find one.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Maybe not quite yet, but KLS's jitters seem to be coming off. As she gets more experience, her confidence level combined with her talent and skill may just be too much to leave on the bench. By tournament time I'm thinking...

1- Jefferson
2- Nurse
3- Samuelson
4- Stewart
5- Butler

Also - another thought on Butler. For a while she was projected to come back in late December, well after the 12/5 ND game. I was thinking Geno might have liked the idea of not showing his 'true center' lineup to ND in that game - wait and let them see it in the inevitable NC game with them. That inevitability may have changed now with the Turner and Reimer injuries (?? Muffet seems to be going "Belichick" on their status). But maybe he's sticking with that plan despite Natalie's unexpected early availability.....?
I'm just getting back on- but I don't foresee Morgan Tuck being pulled from the starting line up for a million reasons. She is a leader of this team- if Morgan Tuck is healthy enough to play any minutes per game- She will start. He may lessen her minutes but Morgan will start every game- I'd bet on this one!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Really? You're thinking Geno is gonna sit Tuck? Really? You're gonna take a 4th year JR, one of the leaders of the team, quite possibly an AA candidate and sit her for a Soph who you've never seen play for UCONN? Really? SMH

You think Geno is going the "don't show my hand" route? Really? When has he ever done that?

Geez people. I hope this is on your Christmas list.
Clue1.jpg
Meyers- I didn't see your post until just now- it's an insane thought. Plus it would be disrespecting her enough to go the WNBA. Plus he loves Morgan and Morgan is as much of a floor general and calming influence as Moriah is. God, watch every huddle when Morgan is on the floor. Geno even started Doty out of respect. And Morgan is a lot more healthy and effective than Caroline was, unfortunately.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Where are the KLS nay sayers now?
Good question- those concerned about beautiful shots rolling in and out in the first few games were missing the big picture- end of story.

Reaction Score
Her passing out of the trap was excellent. It was very un-freshman like.
One reason I rated KLS way above KLM as a high school player was her ball handling and passing skills. In the WCJ championship game when she was a junior, MD was facing St Mary's of Stockton in the title game. The SM full court traps was playing havoc against MD. Even MD excellent guards were committing turn over after turnover. The game turned around when they put the ball in Katie Lou's hands and she broke the trap. I have seen very few players break the SM trap and Katie was the only one exclusive of a non elite level point guard to do so. Everyone who follows high school basketball recognizes that the SM trap/press is on a completely different level than other high school teams. That game sold me on KLM as a player and not just a shooter. Her performance against DePaul is no surprise to me in that respect.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou was great against the press. She can handle the ball, and she can throw it over the defense, something to remember the next time a team tries to press the Huskies. Go Huskies! Go LouConn!

Reaction Score
Imagine getting into a pick up game and looking at your fellow team mates and seeing, Stewie, Tuck, MoJett and Ms. Nurse.
I think I'd miss my first few shots too. Maybe even look like a deer in the headlites. then they'd tell me to go sit down! :(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno-ista - agree. I don't see any line-up changes in the foreseeable future - Williams has slowed down after a torrid start and last night was her worst game to date, but it was still pretty good. That being said ...
I do still feel that the starting five is a little imbalanced from a skills perspective - the post defense is a little 'light' while the post offense is a little crowded. Samuelson with her greater range would spread the floor more for Tuck and Stewart and Butler with her size and strength would offer a stronger post defense. It may end up that Geno keeps both those options on the bench throughout the season, allowing him to alter the team in either direction with his first substitutions, or maybe sometime in January he feels he needs one or the other at the start of games and likely Williams become one of the two options for first sub in.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Imagine getting into a pick up game and looking at your fellow team mates and seeing, Stewie, Tuck, MoJett and Ms. Nurse.
I think I'd miss my first few shots too. Maybe even look like a deer in the headlites. then they'd tell me to go sit down! :(

For a while a while back I suspected that that is what happened in a June pick-up game with Elena Delle Donne. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno-ista - agree. I don't see any line-up changes in the foreseeable future - Williams has slowed down after a torrid start and last night was her worst game to date, but it was still pretty good. That being said ...
I do still feel that the starting five is a little imbalanced from a skills perspective - the post defense is a little 'light' while the post offense is a little crowded. Samuelson with her greater range would spread the floor more for Tuck and Stewart and Butler with her size and strength would offer a stronger post defense. It may end up that Geno keeps both those options on the bench throughout the season, allowing him to alter the team in either direction with his first substitutions, or maybe sometime in January he feels he needs one or the other at the start of games and likely Williams become one of the two options for first sub in.

It is great to have the options we do. I cannot wait for Geno to add the Butler Did It to our options.

Reaction Score
It is great to have the options we do. I cannot wait for Geno to add the Butler Did It to our options.
The blending of chemistry for this team may be Geno's biggest challenge since the 2000/01 I think roster. That team was also very deep. I think they went 9 and maybe 10 at times. Look at the results thus far. +38 margin, + 20% FG Pct. 3X as many FT, + 18 rebounds, 2X assists and steals. So if Butler and Boykin emerge from their injuries (Butler more likely it seems) GA would then have BS, MJ, MT, KN, GW as the current starters and KLS, SC, NC, CE, NB, DB, TL, BP, available off the bench. Not sure of the mix but what I see is a fantasticly flexible collection of players. In fact maybe only Butler is not an interchangeable piece. Remember I said maybe. A lot of these gals can play point or 2, clearly 5 or 6 can fill the wing roles and at least 2 in the post. Who gets how any minutes and when they get them will be the magic that GA and staff will have to figure out. Probably 100 and more Div. 1 coaches would love to have the UConn problem.

Reaction Score
It's nice to see that Geno can still launch the zingers. Seems like it's been a little while since the last one. :D

But we're upset with her when she doesn't do all the other things she's capable of doing. You're not in California anymore. You're allowed to get in a defensive stance in this part of the country. You won't get arrested. You can put your hand up and no one will say a bad thing about you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Absolutely agree. CD said a while back that they had hoped for one of those Thanksgiving Tourneys but could not find one.
I think that may be why we are playing only 38 games, at most, this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that may be why we are playing only 38 games, at most, this year.
I think what happened is they ended up committed to 28 games scheduled (too many to allow an in season tourney so they were trying to get one of the OOC teams to change that game to a tournament they both went to - it all got too complicated and they gave up the idea.

Reaction Score
"She is too good to not start." ;)

I posted that early and often, and more recently noted that she is transitioning into an honest-to-God Badass. (I offer the 4th quarter vs. DePaul as evidence.) :)

So, we all want to male KLS as the second coming of ....? The Saver! I for one won't be hopping onto this train before knowing its destination. Yes, she played very well during the final minutes. Yet, it wouldn't be taking anything away from her in pointing out that for all the others (including her fellow freshman) there were a lot of minutes played. Add to the latter that Depaul was bringing in a new team every 10-15 minutes to keep the game pace very high, we should double or triple the minutes for the Uconn players. A little tireness can set off errant fouls, passes and missed layups. If she becomes a starter it will be, in my novice view, because the team needs a 3-point scorer (and she is not yet dependable), which I cannot see right now. Not if it means sending a 'healthy' Tuck to the bench So, who else would be headed to the bench: Gabby? Brings too many things to the team and; she is not required to score from longrange. Nurse? Well, she isn't tearing it up right now- perhaps a liitle bb tired. But really, her to the bench! Maybe Jefferson? Yes, a lot more turnovers then usual. Probably senior year jits- better have them now then later. No way. She is the show. OK, we have Stewart. Why not? Does she need a rest. Does she have anything to prove? And we all know she is Lady March. Why not send her to the Caribbean to one of the many conferences on teamwork. Just ask Duke how these things work or how to work around or on the margins of the (intended) Rules. And what about Collier? I have seen her break the press, go to the basketball from half court, rebound, played good defence, and take shots where and when she should. Not a bad looking player on a Uconn team for a freshman. Should she start?

Reaction Score
After watching the game again for the 4th time, it might be difficult to keep KLS out of the starting lineup by the end of this year. And I mean the end of December. She has great basketball instincts, and a lot of skills. She is a great passer into the post because of her size and length, which gives her great angles. She can rebound, and handle the ball. I think she might be quicker than we think as she becomes more comfortable after a few more games. Her follow thru seemed straight on to the basket as opposed to the right a few games ago.
MoJeff, Nurse, KLS, tuck, and Stewie.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She is a great passer into the post because of her size and length, which gives her great angles. She can rebound, and handle the ball.

Geno said the coaching staff were disappointed that she wasn't doing these things. It's one thing to have the ability to do them, now she has to give the effort.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Great observations UC!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
After watching the game again for the 4th time, it might be difficult to keep KLS out of the starting lineup by the end of this year. And I mean the end of December. She has great basketball instincts, and a lot of skills. She is a great passer into the post because of her size and length, which gives her great angles. She can rebound, and handle the ball. I think she might be quicker than we think as she becomes more comfortable after a few more games. Her follow thru seemed straight on to the basket as opposed to the right a few games ago.
MoJeff, Nurse, KLS, tuck, and Stewie.
Time will tell. I think she'll come off the bench because she's a freshman. I think he would love to have Gabby off the bench because of what she brings in speed and athleticism on both ends. Tuck remains a definite starter IMO with Nuse, Stewie and Mo. I think their minutes will be the same whether they start or come off the bench.

Reaction Score
Geno said the coaching staff were disappointed that she wasn't doing these things. It's one thing to have the ability to do them, now she has to give the effort.

After saturday's game , I expect to see her in the starting lineup sooner . Her skill set is way better than Gabby's. Gabby will be a good sixth man off the bench soon. And then we still don't know what kind of impact Natalie will have yet. As the season progresses it will become more important to keep Stewie , the most talented player in the country safe from foul trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom