Katie Lou to the Rescue | The Boneyard

Katie Lou to the Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's no question that without Breanna, UConn does not win this game. However, it was nice to see Katie Lou come back from a less than stellar first half, play aggressively, rebound, play defense and hit shots. She was a great help at the end of the game. Way to go Lou. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
There's no question that without Breanna, UConn does not win this game. However, it was nice to see Katie Lou come back from a less than stellar first half, play aggressively, rebound, play defense and hit shots. She was a great help at the end of the game. Way to go Lou. Go Huskies!

Great call. Very telling that she was on the court the last 5+ minutes. She's getting it...just play!

Great gameplan and execution by Bruno and DePaul. Betcha you're gonna see spread the court and rain the 3's by ND on Saturday.

Reaction Score
You got that right.
What a gutsy 3!!!

Reaction Score

I'd add that Lou's passing is amazingly crisp and assured. She played in crunch time with poise, as if she'd been there before. Her assists often come from that lighting fast release of hers. This is because she sees so much of the court so well. I especially liked her demanding the ball late in the game, an indication that she wants to be relied upon to help get the win. And she runs the ball up court with as much comfort as any guard. All the makings of a great player in waiting.

Reaction Score
Her passing out of the trap was excellent. It was very un-freshman like.

Loved her on the wing...great coverage/disruption. Not the quickest, but she doesn't need to be.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I'd add that Lou's passing is amazingly crisp and assured. She played in crunch time with poise, as if she'd been there before. Her assists often come from that lighting fast release of hers. This is because she sees so much of the court so well. I especially liked her demanding the ball late in the game, an indication that she wants to be relied upon to help get the win. And she runs the ball up court with as much comfort as any guard. All the makings of a great player in waiting.
U nailed it husked- her poise and quick crisp passes and cool demeanor- extraordinary ball movement- the offense flowed flawlessly with her in there. She has showed glimpses of this- but tonight was the game where she really put it all together in every facet. Great post!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Lou was critical down the stretch.
Ice- u were right! Saniya's offense has been terrific but her defense is vastly improved. I re watched recent games! And without KML on the floor, she can gamble a bit more, even get beat, and any of our mistakes on the perimeter are covered up better with our improved length and athleticism on the defensive end. Her improvement will really help decide how far we go next year. She looks great on the offensive end

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
KLS will be starting before the season is done
Not so sure he'll pull Gabby at this point- he likes freshmen coming off the bench. And I think he may like her Collier playing together off the bench. U may be right. Because Gabby is an impact dynamic talent that he would normally like to bring off the bench too.

Reaction Score
Not so sure he'll pull Gabby at this point- he likes freshmen coming off the bench. And I think he may like her Collier playing together off the bench. U may be right. Because Gabby is an impact dynamic talent that he would normally like to bring off the bench too.
Maybe not quite yet, but KLS's jitters seem to be coming off. As she gets more experience, her confidence level combined with her talent and skill may just be too much to leave on the bench. By tournament time I'm thinking...

1- Jefferson
2- Nurse
3- Samuelson
4- Stewart
5- Butler

Also - another thought on Butler. For a while she was projected to come back in late December, well after the 12/5 ND game. I was thinking Geno might have liked the idea of not showing his 'true center' lineup to ND in that game - wait and let them see it in the inevitable NC game with them. That inevitability may have changed now with the Turner and Reimer injuries (?? Muffet seems to be going "Belichick" on their status). But maybe he's sticking with that plan despite Natalie's unexpected early availability.....?

Reaction Score
Maybe not quite yet, but KLS's jitters seem to be coming off. As she gets more experience, her confidence level combined with her talent and skill may just be too much to leave on the bench. By tournament time I'm thinking...

1- Jefferson
2- Nurse
3- Samuelson
4- Stewart
5- Butler

Also - another thought on Butler. For a while she was projected to come back in late December, well after the 12/5 ND game. I was thinking Geno might have liked the idea of not showing his 'true center' lineup to ND in that game - wait and let them see it in the inevitable NC game with them. That inevitability may have changed now with the Turner and Reimer injuries (?? Muffet seems to be going "Belichick" on their status). But maybe he's sticking with that plan despite Natalie's unexpected early availability.....?
Thinking your team is slower than the team Geno likes. No way Tuck doesn't start and play a lot of important minutes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But with the Huskies desperately trying to hold off inspired DePaul and hold on to their No. 1 ranking, UConn coach Geno Auriemma decided to get her in with about eight minutes to go.

"I turned around and said, 'What am I going to do with her?' " Auriemma said. "The consensus was to give her another shot."

"This might have her been her best game since she's been at Connecticut," Auriemma said. "Lou's a tough kid. She's been down a little bit because her shot hasn't gone in as much as she is used to seeing it go in. But we're upset with her when she doesn't do all the other things she's capable of doing. You're not in California anymore. You're allowed to get in a defensive stance in this part of the country. You won't get arrested. You can put your hand up and no one will say a bad thing about you. And you're allowed to go after rebounds, you'll actually get rewarded. Even if you don't get the rebound, try.

"There are so many things that she does well, but when you're a good shooter and don't see the ball go in as much you start to pout and feel sorry for yourself and forget all the things you're good at. That's been where she's been. Hopefully these last couple of games will help her."

"I wanted to give her another chance," Auriemma said. "Giving Lou a second chance to see what she could in a game like this, that is the reason I put her in and she responded like a really good player should respond. She made some really good plays, not just two big shots."

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/stewart-samuelson-give-huskies-winning-edge/158717228

Reaction Score
Lou was beautiful last night. In Q4, she finally played with confidence and looked like she belonged out there. Yes, it was surprising in the first four games to see her shoot so poorly, but we all knew her 3-point shooting would come around. You don't go from being one of the best shooters in the nation to a lousy 4-18 shooter for no reason, and I think it was all about nerves. Before DePaul, her misses weren't because she was taking ill-advised shots or she was forcing them up while being tightly covered- they were mostly all bad, open misses. Clankety clank.

It seemed Lou was nervous, as might well be expected with all the hoopla with which she came to UConn. Tons of pressure trying to fit in, show your stuff, and help the best team in the country. The expectations on her were (are) sky high. People were talking about Lou as the next coming of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. So unfair, such pressure. So while the clankfest she endured in her first 4 games was troubling to many, the all-around poise she displayed last night was a tremendous leap forward. As was Geno's confidence in keeping her on the floor with the game on the line.

Lou handled the press great, passed and handled the ball calmly and precisely, and moved nicely without the ball for two easy baskets. Lou is losing those early season jitters and becoming more comfortable with her coach, her teammates, and playing at this highest level. I think this high-pressure DePaul road game will re-instill Lou's self-confidence, and we'll begin to see in the coming weeks just why she was the number one high school player in America. Nice work, Lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom