Katie Lou for NPOY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Katie Lou for NPOY

Reaction Score
A few days ago when Geno was lauding KLS's NPOY candidacy, he specifically mentioned 5 aspects of her game:

shooting
ball handling
passing
smarts
making team mates better

Now, there are 2 things really revealing what Geno said: (1) only the shooting aspect will fully show up in her stats; the other 4 can only be appreciated fully by watching her play; (2) no mention of KLS's defensive skills.

I'm as big a fan of KLS as anyone on this board, but she is in my view still some ways off from being put in the same sentence as Stewie. At present, KLS is merely an above average defender, but as bags27 said, perhaps she would take the leap next season.

I’m not sure we watch the games similarly, because IMO she has become an excellent defender, particularly in comparison to anybody else presently playing women’s college basketball. She may appear only above average because she plays on a team with two of the best defenders in the history of the sport.
Nevertheless, I will defer to Geno on this, who recently told the press that a year ago he would never even consider using her as the point for the UConn press. If she is the third best defender on a team that habitually plays the best defense in the country, she is certainly more than “above average”, particularly given that Dangerfield is also an excellent defender who lacks only size to be rated superior.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
I’m not sure we watch the games similarly, because IMO she has become an excellent defender, particularly in comparison to anybody else presently playing women’s college basketball. She may appear only above average because she plays on a team with two of the best defenders in the history of the sport.
Nevertheless, I will defer to Geno on this, who recently told the press that a year ago he would never even consider using her as the point for the UConn press. If she is the third best defender on a team that habitually plays the best defense in the country, she is certainly more than “above average”, particularly given that Dangerfield is also an excellent defender who lacks only size to be rated superior.

Opinions differ, and I'm OK with that. One thing I will readily admit is that KLS as a defender this season is head and shoulder above her last season. If she can maintain her improvement trajectory next season, I'll have no hesitation in mentioning her in the same sentence as Stewie.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will make this short and sweet. She can handle the ball, pass, shoot the trey, go inside, go outside, and rebound and play defense. She is the best all round player in WCBB and their aint nobody close. I know who the media favors but Lou does so much more with efficiency.
Too bad the refs don't protect Lou the way they protect A'ja. And yeah, I'm a big A'ja fan.

Reaction Score
Opinions differ, and I'm OK with that. One thing I will readily admit is that KLS as a defender this season is head and shoulder above her last season. If she can maintain her improvement trajectory next season, I'll have no hesitation in mentioning her in the same sentence as Stewie.
We all want her to win every award possible, but let's not get carried away. Stewie is one of the planet's best basketball players like Maya and DT in her prime. Lou will never be in that lofty category. It's a very hard club to join.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With so many different POY awards, I'd like KLS, Vivians, and Wilson to all bring home some hardware this year. They've all had equally deserving seasons IMO.

KLS has been outstanding all season long and is the best player for the #1 undefeated team. Really good all around numbers and is one of the most talented offensive players in the country.

Vivians plays a very similar role for Mississippi State. And she's also the best player for an undefeated team. KLS has better percentages and assists per game, Vivians is better off the bounce and more of a creator IMO. Equally worthy.

Wilson would be my 3rd pick, but that's mainly because I'm just sick of the media obsessing over her. Avoiding my bias, she's absolutely is a worthy choice and is right there with the other 2. When you look at her body of work I think she's very deserving this season. 23 points, 12 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, 55% FG...no doubt she deserves consideration and would be a worthy winner.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
We all want her to win every award possible, but let's not get carried away. Stewie is one of the planet's best basketball players like Maya and DT in her prime. Lou will never be in that lofty category. It's a very hard club to join.

Agreed. Great player, but not close to being at Stewart's level. I think if you took any of the all time greats (which in the last 20 years includes just Holdsclaw, Taurasi, Moore, Parker, Griner and Stewart) and put them on a top 10-15 team, they instantly become a Final Four favorite and title contender. As great a player as KLS is, I don't feel that way about her. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
The pass that Lou made to Kia the other night where Kia travelled, that was ESPN highlight material had Kia not travelled.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If Wilson plays the same way in the WNBA as she does in the WCBB she will foul out before the first half. She is hardly ever called for over the back fouls, and had at least 5 of them not called by the refs in the UConn game in the First Half alone.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
all time greats (which in the last 20 years includes just Holdsclaw, Taurasi, Moore, Parker, Griner and Stewart)
16189471.jpg

Reaction Score
I hope the Voters will be objective in their process, that they will not go by the Pre-Season "hype", that they will not play into the ESPN and others "hype", but that they will look at the legitimate candidates and vote accordingly. I do not believe in the "give it to the senior...the juniors and sophomores have the next one or two years to win it" philosophy. We all know how quickly a player's season can come to a screeching halt by injury.

Reaction Score
The pass that Lou made to Kia the other night where Kia travelled, that was ESPN highlight material had Kia not travelled.
Ouremblem... I thought the same thing, and the ESPN announcers were impressed. I can only wonder if Kia was expecting that pass from Lou at that moment...she has come to expect it from Gabby and Danger, but maybe the quickness and crispness and threading the needle that Lou did on that caught her a bit by surprise???

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score

That is a pretty pre-mature judgment IMHO. KLS right now is as good an offensive player as Stewie ever was in her UCONN days. Where KLS falls short is her defense, which, as I said before, she has improved tremendously this season. To say that she will NEVER be in Stewie's league is too hasty a verdict to render. But, as I also said, opinions differ.

Reaction Score
I thank God every day that A'ja Wilson chose SoCar over UCONN!
IMHO A'ja isn't even in my top 16 players in Division I! She's the Elizabeth Williams of 2014-2018, more hype than talent!
In no real order:
KLS UCONN G/F
Gabby UCONN F
Pheesa UCONN F
Nurse UCONN G
Crystal Dangerfield UCONN G
Azura UCONN F/C
Vivians MissSt. F/G
Cox Baylor C/F
Cunningham MO F
McCowan MissSt. C
Billings UCLA F
Ionescu Oregon G
Heberd Oregon F/C
Brown Duke G
Thomas FSU F
Howard TX A&M F

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I thank God every day that A'ja Wilson chose SoCar over UCONN!
IMHO A'ja isn't even in my top 16 players in Division I! She's the Elizabeth Williams of 2014-2018, more hype than talent!
In no real order:
KLS UCONN G/F
Gabby UCONN F
Pheesa UCONN F
Nurse UCONN G
Crystal Dangerfield UCONN G
Azura UCONN F/C
Vivians MissSt. F/G
Cox Baylor C/F
Cunningham MO F
McCowan MissSt. C
Billings UCLA F
Ionescu Oregon G
Heberd Oregon F/C
Brown Duke G
Thomas FSU F
Howard TX A&M F

All credibility goes out the window after seeing this list.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify I wasn't saying that KLS is right there with Stewie. I said she's right behind the big three and may get closer if she continues her growth and improvement. I said her game is most similar to Stewie's in some ways. Offensively I think at this point they are close. KLS still has a ways to go in terms of defense (although she has improved considerably), rebounding offensively and defensively and up to this point KLS is not a shot blocker (and may never be). KLS offensive game and her ability to do so many different things extremely well is pretty top shelf.
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO she's been the best player for the last 2 yrs. I just hope whoever is voting on these awards don't use the logic that she will get it her senior year, because she already got screwed on it last year. I mean there's no doubt she will get it next year but she should be a 2 time npoy!
Hard to justify KLS being NPOY last season when she was not selected as sole POY in her own conference, the record setting season that Kelsey Plum had and the National Championship season that A'Ja Wilson led South Carolina to.

Reaction Score
All credibility goes out the window after seeing this list.

bballnut90- - - Well they do say that "opinions are like "butts" everyone's got one!"
We can just agree to disagree.
Losing credibility in your eyes won't be keeping me up at night! I can promise you that!
I wouldn't want A'ja Wilson on my team with all the talent I listed above they would still win a national title without the diva!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It works for me but they have annoited Wilson the winner and I think the voters are going to run with that. Unfortunately.
Probably. They likely see next year as KLS's time.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
bballnut90- - - Well they do say that "opinions are like "butts" everyone's got one!"
We can just agree to disagree.
Losing credibility in your eyes won't be keeping me up at night! I can promise you that!
I wouldn't want A'ja Wilson on my team with all the talent I listed above they would still win a national title without the diva!

Diva is not the word I'd use to describe A'ja...but I guess we can agree to disagree.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Just to clarify I wasn't saying that KLS is right there with Stewie. I said she's right behind the big three and may get closer if she continues her growth and improvement. I said her game is most similar to Stewie's in some ways. Offensively I think at this point they are close. KLS still has a ways to go in terms of defense (although she has improved considerably), rebounding offensively and defensively and up to this point KLS is not a shot blocker (and may never be). KLS offensive game and her ability to do so many different things extremely well is pretty top shelf.
Bronx23

Just different players with different skill sets IMO. KLS is a more like a poor man's Elena Delle Donne IMO. Perimeter oriented, lights out shooter, good all around game. Stewart doesn't have the perimeter skill set that KLS does, but is much much better putting the ball on the floor and finishing from 15 feet and in than KLS will ever be. Defensively I don't think it's a comparison, Stewart was Griner-like defensively her senior season.

I don't think KLS ever hits Big 3 status, but when she graduates I think she'll be right there with Bird/Jefferson/Lobo/Charles in the 2nd crop of players.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Just different players with different skill sets IMO. KLS is a more like a poor man's Elena Delle Donne IMO. Perimeter oriented, lights out shooter, good all around game. Stewart doesn't have the perimeter skill set that KLS does, but is much much better putting the ball on the floor and finishing from 15 feet and in than KLS will ever be. Defensively I don't think it's a comparison, Stewart was Griner-like defensively her senior season.

I don't think KLS ever hits Big 3 status, but when she graduates I think she'll be right there with Bird/Jefferson/Lobo/Charles in the 2nd crop of players.
In what way does Stewie not have the same perimeter skills as Lou? I guess her lack of perimeter skills is the reason that she was the most feared WCBB offensive player her last 3 years at UConn and never won any major awards. Do you just state your "opinion" on this forum just to stir the pot?

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
To say that she will NEVER be in Stewie's league is too hasty a verdict to render

In all reality she will need to will her team to another championship this year as well as next to even BEGIN discussion in Stewart's league. Stewie has 4, she's in a league of her own right now. And she had the chutzpah to predict it before she even stepped foot on campus.

Lou can end her career in the same breathe as players like Sue, Kara, Swin, etc. Equal offensive players, differences in defense of course.

But hey, we have a long tourney ahead and other year of appreciating Lou's stellar play. I wouldn't count her out just yet...

I am a Lou fan and we will see her reach the potential Geno knows she has this tourney that will carry all thru the next season.

IMHO of course :D

Reaction Score
Which 5 players would you place on the list instead of her?
Kalani Brown, Ionescu, Katie Lou, Asia Durr and since I'm not privy to a lot of women's basketball games, I am pretty comfortable that there are others! I just don't have innate knowledge of them. I seem to remember a few others being named her on the Boneyard and this site has some very astute followers of the women's game. My bad for being a bit older and a little bit forgetful. In games that I've seen her, I thought A'ja was sometimes pretty good and other times a bit ordinary considering her 6'5 size. She is obviously tall and athletic but I'm not sure I would say her skill set is outstanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom