Karen Aston Out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Karen Aston Out

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From the same site that is listing NCAA transfers.

Reaction Score
Nah.. cruel would have been to list Carolyn Peck.
In all seriousness anyone know what Melanie Balcomb is up to?

I think she's still at Purdue waiting for Versyp to get canned so she can slide right into the Head Coach Seat.

Reaction Score
how about:

Carla Berube
Becky Hammon
I get the feeling that Berube wants to stay in the northeast. And with the womens movement in the NBA, Hammon might be the next Spurs coach if Popovich leaves.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Berube wants to stay in the northeast. And with the womens movement in the NBA, Hammon might be the next Spurs coach if Popovich leaves.

For sure, but consider the money Texas is capable of spewing.

Reaction Score
I didn’t think Mike White would leave Oregon where he was building a softball dynasty for Texas but the money was obscene for the job. I don’t think Kelly Graves would leave Oregon for Texas—wait, I just read my first sentence again.

If Texas wants to beat Baylor in women’s basketball, it goes along with the even more tough task of beating Oklahoma in softball. That’s why they lured Mike White away.
The Oregon womens AD Lisa Peterson and White hated each other guts. Yes it is true that some coaches and assistant Ad's don't get along and it was only a matter of time. A lot of bad juju between those two.

Reaction Score
For sure, but consider the money Texas is capable of spewing.
A Texas salary would be chump change in the NBA. Pop makes $11M and the average is around $3.5M. If Hammon was hired as the lowest paid in the league that would $2M.

Reaction Score
Actually, no, I just want two things:
1. To get you off of the whole PAC12 rant. It's becoming redundant
2. To know if you had anyone else in mind, (BTW which I never have proposed nor would propose any of the candidates you listed-ever).

I am of the school and logic that those types of coaches have already built their legacy and earned every right and have enough financial stability to stay and keep those programs on the trend they are on, with the exception of McGruff who is not in the same class as that group.

But hey, you keep denying you want Kelly and propose name like Cori Close who isn't even as good a recruiter as Aston and only a slightly better than x's and o's than her. Or Adia Barnes who, when she actually plays a respectable OOC and wins, I will say she's a national level coach. Pay either of them oodles of your Longhorn network money and still underachieve.

The problem is Texas thinks it is in the "elite set of programs" within WCBB due to 1 title by Conradt (n 1984 no less), but honestly, it is in the 2nd or 3rd tier of programs at best (15-30 range) on a national level.

Here is why, in my view, the stats show Texas is not elite: Since 1990 (30 years ago), Texas has made 1 Final Four (2003), 1 Elite Eight (2016), 5 Sweet 16's, 8 2nd round, 9 1st round exits (including last year) and missed the NCAAT 5 times. That is not an elite program record of success. It is a good program but to think you should get a great coach due to your standing? Um, I don't think so.

Would the AD show the patience or the honesty that your program is not truly elite to allow the "rebuild" of it to hopefully get to the national level annually. Texas will not be UConn, ND, Stanford, Tennessee, SC or Baylor worthy.

Texas is like North Carolina, Purdue, USC, Texas Tech who think because they won 1 title, they are elite despite years of nothing. You'd be lucky for the Longhorns to get into the Maryland, Ohio State tier of conference champs, top 10-15 annual rankings, regularly listed for top seeding discussion.

I used to like Texas (I grew up watching Donna Lopiano pitch for the Brackettes) but now with their sense of entitlement in all sports, notably football, I enjoy the spectacle of their failures. This is no different.

Best of luck to your pipe dream on Kelly, oh wait, I am sorry, I forgot, you really don't want him.

At least with the Lady Vol fans, they were a "somebody", so I understood their entitlement in this sport...:rolleyes:
Wow, Very spot on and well written. You are not alone in that opinion.

I guess we know how the saying "Everything is bigger in Texas" had come about.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually, no, I just want two things:
1. To get you off of the whole PAC12 rant. It's becoming redundant
2. To know if you had anyone else in mind, (BTW which I never have proposed nor would propose any of the candidates you listed-ever).

I am of the school and logic that those types of coaches have already built their legacy and earned every right and have enough financial stability to stay and keep those programs on the trend they are on, with the exception of McGruff who is not in the same class as that group.

But hey, you keep denying you want Kelly and propose name like Cori Close who isn't even as good a recruiter as Aston and only a slightly better than x's and o's than her. Or Adia Barnes who, when she actually plays a respectable OOC and wins, I will say she's a national level coach. Pay either of them oodles of your Longhorn network money and still underachieve.

The problem is Texas thinks it is in the "elite set of programs" within WCBB due to 1 title by Conradt (n 1984 no less), but honestly, it is in the 2nd or 3rd tier of programs at best (15-30 range) on a national level.

Here is why, in my view, the stats show Texas is not elite: Since 1990 (30 years ago), Texas has made 1 Final Four (2003), 1 Elite Eight (2016), 5 Sweet 16's, 8 2nd round, 9 1st round exits (including last year) and missed the NCAAT 5 times. That is not an elite program record of success. It is a good program but to think you should get a great coach due to your standing? Um, I don't think so.

Would the AD show the patience or the honesty that your program is not truly elite to allow the "rebuild" of it to hopefully get to the national level annually. Texas will not be UConn, ND, Stanford, Tennessee, SC or Baylor worthy.

Texas is like North Carolina, Purdue, USC, Texas Tech who think because they won 1 title, they are elite despite years of nothing. You'd be lucky for the Longhorns to get into the Maryland, Ohio State tier of conference champs, top 10-15 annual rankings, regularly listed for top seeding discussion.

I used to like Texas (I grew up watching Donna Lopiano pitch for the Brackettes) but now with their sense of entitlement in all sports, notably football, I enjoy the spectacle of their failures. This is no different.

Best of luck to your pipe dream on Kelly, oh wait, I am sorry, I forgot, you really don't want him.

At least with the Lady Vol fans, they were a "somebody", so I understood their entitlement in this sport...:rolleyes:
I actually don't agree with the commonly heard refrain that Texas WBB fans are somehow stricken with delusions of "elite" status, however that's defined. Just speaking about the fans, I sense that they are acutely aware of how far removed they are from the Jody Conradt heyday of the 1980s. They are acutely aware of how each and every season has gone in the decades since, including the disappointment of what initially looked like a home-run hire in Goestenkors, followed by the 8-year roller coaster of Aston's tenure.

Texas fans are ultimately like any loyal fans of any other team. They want to cheer for a winning program. I don't see that as a crime. The fact that the university has deep pockets doesn't make them fundamentally any different. Money can't buy happiness, and it's no guarantee of an elite-level program either.

Reaction Score
I actually don't agree with the commonly heard refrain that Texas WBB fans are somehow stricken with delusions of "elite" status, however that's defined. Just speaking about the fans, I sense that they are acutely aware of how far removed they are from the Jody Conradt heyday of the 1980s. They are acutely aware of how each and every season has gone in the decades since, including the disappointment of what initially looked like a home-run hire in Goestenkors, followed by the 8-year roller coaster of Aston's tenure.

Texas fans are ultimately like any loyal fans of any other team. They want to cheer for a winning program. I don't see that as a crime. The fact that the university has deep pockets doesn't make them fundamentally any different. Money can't buy happiness, and it's no guarantee of an elite-level program either.
But a lot of fans do think money can buy an elite program. Former AD DeLoss Dodds is reported to have said (quote may not be exact): we don’t try to keep up with the Joneses; we ARE the Joneses.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But a lot of fans do think money can buy an elite program. Former AD DeLoss Dodds is reported to have said (quote may not be exact): we don’t try to keep up with the Joneses; we ARE the Joneses.
Well, some people feel the need to tell themselves such things. (It's really a silly comment. In may sound swaggery but it means next to nothing in practice.)

I also suspect the comment was more about football, not women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Berube would be a smart pick, though she might have an eye on Storrs five or six years down the road.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t Jeff Walz a candidate for the Tenn job last year? Will he be one for this one as well?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Jeff Walz a candidate for the Tenn job last year? Will he be one for this one as well?
Walz expressed an interest in TN in an effort to attempt to squeeze more money out of Louisville until the University made it clear they were not interested in renegotiating his deal again. At that point Walz’s interest in TN ended.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Walz expressed an interest in TN in an effort to attempt to squeeze more money out of Louisville until the University made it clear they were not interested in renegotiating his deal again. At that point Walz’s interest in TN ended.
Candidate for a job has to be a two-way street and I don't think Tennessee actually reached out to him, I think if anything he concocted interest but I still haven't seen any proof of that, only Louisville making a "pre-emptive strike" by upping his contract due to concerns however founded- I would not put it past him or any employee with a strong performance record, I just haven't seen a smoking gun yet. Do you have any clips or articles saying such?

Reaction Score
While I normally have enough UConn news to keep me busy, in today's crazy world I'm dipping into the VolNation, TX, and other forums. Any idea whether Karen will retire or if she intends to keep coaching?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I normally have enough UConn news to keep me busy, in today's crazy world I'm dipping into the VolNation, TX, and other forums. Any idea whether Karen will retire or if she intends to keep coaching?
I think both Karen and Holly (hey, you mentioned VolNation so the door was opened) both want to coach some more, the difference being that Karen will probably get another shot and maybe even another P5 shot somewhere as she's coached at 3 different places where as Holly was bequeathed the LV job and never really earned her bones on her own... :D

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'm honestly surprised Karen hasn't yet tweeted out any kind of statement, whether it was to thank her current and former players, assistant coaches, the University, etc. She's tweeted out some replies to players who have tweeted their gratitude individually.

As for her future in coaching, I just don't know. To many of us, it seemed as if she didn't coach and recruit during the last couple of seasons with the same passion she showed her first 6 years at Texas.

What a great combination Gail Goestenkors as head coach and Karen Aston as her recruiting coordinator would have made at Texas back in 2007. But, Karen left her assistant coach job at Texas for Baylor one year prior to Jody Conradt resigning mainly because she was told she would not be considered for the Texas head coaching job the day Jody moved on (as Texas prefers to hire head coaches with prior head coaching experience).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom