Karen Aston Out | The Boneyard

Karen Aston Out

Reaction Score
It was reported that Karen Aston is out as the head coach of the University of Texas' women's basketball team. Should have kept Gail Goestenkors. Duke should have, too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was reported that Karen Aston is out as the head coach of the University of Texas' women's basketball team. Should have kept Gail Goestenkors. Duke should have, too.
Lol @ Goestenkors. First of all, she resigned.

Just because Aston didn't work out doesn't mean she was worse than Goestenkors.

And obviously, of course Duke should've kept her.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wowsa
Just saw it.
Good recruiter, questionable coaching chops

After perusing the AP announcement, I noticed that the majority of folks that commented thought that her coaching was just fine and that the admin had made a mistake...Hmmm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Texas spent big bucks to get a top tier name softball coach when they opened the vault to get Oregon’s Mike White. Are they willing to go that big for basketball?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="JordyG, post: 3503573, member: 6819"
Now for the other shoe to drop.
[/QUOTE]

What shoe is that Jordy?
(I do remember your prediction re: KA...but the other?)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just 4 years ago, Karen Aston looked like she had turned to corner at TX. A year after getting walloped by UConn in the Sweet 16 in Albany, the Longhorns faced the Huskies again in the Elite 8 in Bridgeport. Against one of the greatest teams in the history of WBB, TX held their own before falling 86-65, finishing the season at 31-5, the Longhorns best record under Aston.

But from that point on, despite fielding some very talented teams, TX never seemed to be able to play up to that level, losing a number of games to both lower ranked and unranked teams. What was even worse, is that over the next 4 years, Kim Mulkey and the Lady Bears had the Longhorns number every time they played, and the gap between the two programs appeared to get wider every season.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Texas cares about beating Baylor, period. I don't know how many coaches are going to be able to do that. Although there is certainly enough talent down here that they should be able to!

Reaction Score
Texas cares about beating Baylor, period. I don't know how many coaches are going to be able to do that. Although there is certainly enough talent down here that they should be able to!
Always has been enough ...they just didn’t know how to develop it

Reaction Score
As I predicted quite a while ago, and to many here and otherwise, no real surprise.

Now for the other shoe to drop.
Don't say it or it won't happen. ;)

Reaction Score
Most of the Top 10 programs recruit heavily in Texas and its often a tough place to coach (look at Shaka Smart on the men's basketball side and Tom Herman for football) with difficult alum expectations. Even with all of its money and great recruiting territory, perhaps Texas needs to look for the best coach, not just the highest profile "face card."

Reaction Score
Lol @ Goestenkors. First of all, she resigned.

Just because Aston didn't work out doesn't mean she was worse than Goestenkors.

And duh, of course Duke should've kept her.

Duh, of course Duke should have kept her is an insult. What if I started a reply to your post with Duh. Grow up and answer like a grownup.

Reaction Score
Wowsa
Just saw it.
Good recruiter, questionable coaching chops

After perusing the AP announcement, I noticed that the majority of folks that commented thought that her coaching was just fine and that the admin had made a mistake...Hmmm.

With a 19-11 record and all that talent, I would say that's a step or 2 back.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Duh, of course Duke should have kept her is an insult. What if I started a reply to your post with Duh. Grow up and answer like a grownup.
I didn't mean it that way it all. Shorthand for "obviously". I'll edit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There's this thing called the internet where if you type in Gail Goestenkors you can actually see her resume and what she did/did not accomplish at Texas. Look at here relative standings within the Big12-abysmal. So let me be a tad direct here, Gail was an abject failure at Texas, Karen was significantly better at recruiting and the results showed that. However Karen is a terrible offense coach and her teams never developed any style or flow. Discipline on offense was always lacking. For three years she had an awesome guard combo with Brooke McCarty and Ariel Atkins that hid these flaws. Again, Karen did a great job representing the Univ of Texas and sold it well, she just couldn't coach a lick. Curious to see what name or direction this new AD wants to go down. Unlike softball, many WCBB Coaches do get good pay. I know Southie thinks Kelly Graves would leave but I completely disagree. Not sure was "star" coach that leaves open to pursue.

Reaction Score
There's this thing called the internet where if you type in Gail Goestenkors you can actually see her resume and what she did/did not accomplish at Texas. Look at here relative standings within the Big12-abysmal. So let me be a tad direct here, Gail was an abject failure at Texas, Karen was significantly better at recruiting and the results showed that. However Karen is a terrible offense coach and her teams never developed any style or flow. Discipline on offense was always lacking. For three years she had an awesome guard combo with Brooke McCarty and Ariel Atkins that hid these flaws. Again, Karen did a great job representing the Univ of Texas and sold it well, she just couldn't coach a lick. Curious to see what name or direction this new AD wants to go down. Unlike softball, many WCBB Coaches do get good pay. I know Southie thinks Kelly Graves would leave but I completely disagree. Not sure was "star" coach that leaves open to pursue.
I wouldn't think that Graves would leave Oregon for any job in the country with the talent he's able to bring in every year now. He's got security and they love him up there. With bonuses he made $685K this on a new contract that runs thru 25-26 worth $6M over 7 years. Aston made a base of $515K this year.

Reaction Score
Any idea how many head coaching jobs Chris Dailey has turned down? Or do they even bother trying any more?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom