Karen Aston Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karen Aston Out

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Any idea how many head coaching jobs Chris Dailey has turned down? Or do they even bother trying any more?
WHHHIIIRRRR! That's a whistle on a foul against Dokey. Please put him in the "time-out" box for even suggesting such heresy!!!!
CD is perfectly content and looking forward to the next 5 years to make UConn WCBB bad for everyone...Let's resume the Texas coach discussion sans CD...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There's this thing called the internet where if you type in Gail Goestenkors you can actually see her resume and what she did/did not accomplish at Texas. Look at here relative standings within the Big12-abysmal. So let me be a tad direct here, Gail was an abject failure at Texas, Karen was significantly better at recruiting and the results showed that. However Karen is a terrible offense coach and her teams never developed any style or flow. Discipline on offense was always lacking. For three years she had an awesome guard combo with Brooke McCarty and Ariel Atkins that hid these flaws. Again, Karen did a great job representing the Univ of Texas and sold it well, she just couldn't coach a lick. Curious to see what name or direction this new AD wants to go down. Unlike softball, many WCBB Coaches do get good pay. I know Southie thinks Kelly Graves would leave but I completely disagree. Not sure was "star" coach that leaves open to pursue.
I didn’t think Mike White would leave Oregon where he was building a softball dynasty for Texas but the money was obscene for the job. I don’t think Kelly Graves would leave Oregon for Texas—wait, I just read my first sentence again.

If Texas wants to beat Baylor in women’s basketball, it goes along with the even more tough task of beating Oklahoma in softball. That’s why they lured Mike White away.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn't think that Graves would leave Oregon for any job in the country with the talent he's able to bring in every year now. He's got security and they love him up there. With bonuses he made $685K this on a new contract that runs thru 25-26 worth $6M over 7 years. Aston made a base of $515K this year.
TX certainly has the money to make their WBB coach the highest paid in the nation. The question is, do they care enough about WBB to pay for a top young coach?

Reaction Score
WHHHIIIRRRR! That's a whistle on a foul against Dokey. Please put him in the "time-out" box for even suggesting such heresy!!!!
CD is perfectly content and looking forward to the next 5 years to make UConn WCBB bad for everyone...Let's resume the Texas coach discussion sans CD...:rolleyes:
Oh, I know better. Thankfully, so does CD. I wasn’t suggesting her for the job, just glad she’s at home in Storrs.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
TX certainly has the money to make their WBB coach the highest paid in the nation. The question is, do they care enough about WBB to pay for a top young coach?
The comments above seem incongruous with each other. Texas will not pay some Top Young Coach the highest salary in the nation. Most Top WCBB have built the program they are at as opposed to a Pitino, Calipari or a Barnes type that have traveled around. Since WCBB has really only been around the NCAA since 1983, there is no "standard" prototype of reloading coaches like Kentucky, UCLA, Louisville etc.
And YES, a resounding YES, that Texas does care about WCBB. They exhibited this by pressuring Gail to resign and by bringing in a "Texas roots" coach in Aston and now while Karen has brought them back to a "national" name, she's underachieved to what Texas is expecting so that "non-renewal" tells me they do care. What makes you think they don't?

Reaction Score
Let’s see where money falls. White’s success as Oregon softball coach is greater than Graves’ at basketball. Oregon came up with a $1.4 million six year deal in 2015 when Arkansas came poaching but the money Texas offered White in 2018 was too attractive to pass up. Figures weren’t announced but he reportedly is now second highest paid softball coach after Oklahoma’s Patty Gasso who pulls in $925,000 a year. You know Texas hates to play second to Oklahoma. Graves signed withOregon for 6 years at $4.125 million in 1917 but just got an extension thru 2026. I suspect Texas called and Oregon, having lost White, anted up.

Reaction Score
Who are the real candidates? ...that are not under contract and doing well with their program

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I know Southie thinks Kelly Graves would leave but I completely disagree. Not sure was "star" coach that leaves open to pursue.
I have no idea if, nor did I ever state that Graves would leave Oregon for Texas.

What I stated was that if his salary increase last year after his first Final Four season was a mere $50,000 ($650,000 to $700,000) annually, then he is financially attainable by Texas as I believe they will offer the right candidate around $1.25 million. Oregon could match that, I suppose. And, even if they don't, a substantial pay increase might not be a motivating factor for Graves to start over at a new school.

If this year's post-season tournament had played out, and Graves had led Oregon to a national title, the chances of him leaving Oregon would have been zilch. But, that didn't happen. The door is open, IMO, at least from a financial aspect.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I have no idea if, nor did I ever state that Graves would leave Oregon for Texas.

What I stated was that if his salary increase last year after his first Final Four season was a mere $50,000 ($650,000 to $700,000) annually, then he is financially attainable by Texas as I believe they will offer the right candidate around $1.25 million. Oregon could match that, I suppose. And, even if they don't, a substantial pay increase might not be a motivating factor for Graves to start over at a new school.

If this year's post-season tournament had played out, and Graves had led Oregon to a national title, the chances of him leaving Oregon would have been zilch. But, that didn't happen. The door is open, IMO, at least from a financial aspect.
As Shakespeare famously said, "the poster protests too much, methinks"..you keep saying you Graves won't leave Oregon yet you keep posting his salary, Mike White, PAC12 revenue. We get it, so again, let me re-assert my question, besides ANYONE in the Pac12 do you have another coach in mind?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn't think that Graves would leave Oregon for any job in the country with the talent he's able to bring in every year now. He's got security and they love him up there. With bonuses he made $685K this on a new contract that runs thru 25-26 worth $6M over 7 years. Aston made a base of $515K this year.
Karen Aston was hired for $600k in 2012 (even though Goestenkors had been earning $1 million the previous 5 years at Texas). Aston was bumped up to around $800k in 2016, and plenty of performance bonuses.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
As Shakespeare famously said, "the poster protests too much, methinks"..you keep saying you Graves won't leave Oregon yet you keep posting his salary, Mike White, PAC12 revenue. We get it, so again, let me re-assert my question, besides ANYONE in the Pac12 do you have another coach in mind?
Or, if you didn't mis-state my statements that would be good, too, and cut out any confusion.

I've already stated that Texas will most likely be hiring someone from the PAC 12 as those schools (other than Stanford) do not pay their women's athletics head coaches well at all. I believe Adia Barnes, Cori Close, and Kelly Graves are candidates (from Texas' perspective).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Do you think Texas would reach out to Becky Hammon or Niele Ivey? Would Texas hire a person that didn't have Head Coaching/Recruiting Experience?

Or, if you didn't mis-state my statements that would be good, too, and cut out any confusion.

I've already stated that Texas will most likely be hiring someone from the PAC 12 as those schools (other than Stanford) do not pay their women's athletics head coaches well at all. I believe Adia Barnes, Cori Close, and Kelly Graves are candidates (from Texas' perspective).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who are the real candidates? ...that are not under contract and doing well with their program
Not under contract? Do you mean volunteer coaches? Maybe at the YMCA?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Southie, Southie, Southie-reread my last sentence-BESIDES the PAC12 who do you think....

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Southie, Southie, Southie-reread my last sentence-BESIDES the PAC12 who do you think....
That's not happening. Wouldn't you rather hear about (financially) realistic candidates from the PAC 12 rather than unrealistic candidates (McGraw, Walz, McGuff, Freese, Staley, and Schaefer) from the ACC, B1G, and SEC?

Sounds like you want me to make up names out of thin air so you can refute them.

Reaction Score
Karen Aston was hired for $600k in 2012 (even though Goestenkors had been earning $1 million the previous 5 years at Texas). Aston was bumped up to around $800k in 2016, and plenty of performance bonuses.

I see your link is from Sept. 2016. I don't know how to link but my salary number comes from the Hook Em article by Danny Davis from yesterday, 4/3.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Do you think Texas would reach out to Becky Hammon or Niele Ivey? Would Texas hire a person that didn't have Head Coaching/Recruiting Experience?
I don't know what either Hammon or Ivey's objectives are as it pertain to collegiate basketball. So, I'm focusing my thoughts on current college head coaches. Texas (in all sports) doesn't traditionally hire coaches with zero head coaching experience, although there have been a couple of exceptions.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I see your link is from Sept. 2016. I don't know how to link but my salary number comes from the Hook Em article by Danny Davis from yesterday, 4/3.
Danny Davis revealed himself to be an ignoramus by how highly he had Duke ranked on his AP ballot throughout the season.

He needs to spend a little more time doing research and less time tweeting cute gifs.

"Under the terms of the new agreement, which is effective immediately and runs through August 31, 2020, Aston will receive a total guaranteed compensation of $770,000 with an additional $220,000 available in performance-based incentives. Aston has received a $158,187 increase in guaranteed compensation from the 2015-16 season."

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood what Danny stated:

The three-year extension that she signed in 2016 is set to expire in August, and she was paid a base salary of $515,000 this past season.

That was not her total annual compensation.

Take a look at this list of coaches' salaries from 2017; sort it by 'Total Compensation'. That is what a coach earns annually, regardless of where the money comes from:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not under contract? Do you mean volunteer coaches? Maybe at the YMCA?
Coaches that aren’t going to be a big buyout for Texas as in they still have a few years left on their contract with school they are coaching. You always trying so hard to demean folks. Lol -calm down

Reaction Score
Danny Davis revealed himself to be an ignoramus by how highly he had Duke ranked on his AP ballot throughout the season.

He needs to spend a little more time doing research and less time tweeting cute gifs.

"Under the terms of the new agreement, which is effective immediately and runs through August 31, 2020, Aston will receive a total guaranteed compensation of $770,000 with an additional $220,000 available in performance-based incentives. Aston has received a $158,187 increase in guaranteed compensation from the 2015-16 season."

Didn't know Danny was a dope. Never mind.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Coaches that aren’t going to be a big buyout for Texas as in they still have a few years left on their contract with school they are coaching. You always trying so hard to demean folks. Lol -calm down
Ha I was just trying to be playful.

Almost any successful coach (as defined by elite D-1 standards) is going to have at least a couple years left on their current contract. Coaches generally need that in order to send a positive signal to recruits.

Sue Semrau at FSU **might** be considered an exception (depending on whether you consider her program "elite" at a national level), as her contract is also expiring this year and no word so far on her contract status.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Didn't know Danny was a dope. Never mind.
Ha I couldn't resist having some fun at his expense.

It's probable that "base salary" and "guaranteed compensation" are two different things. She probably gets guarantees above and beyond her nominal base salary for things like equipment and media appearances.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That's not happening. Wouldn't you rather hear about (financially) realistic candidates from the PAC 12 rather than unrealistic candidates (McGraw, Walz, McGuff, Freese, Staley, and Schaefer) from the ACC, B1G, and SEC?

Sounds like you want me to make up names out of thin air so you can refute them.
Actually, no, I just want two things:
1. To get you off of the whole PAC12 rant. It's becoming redundant
2. To know if you had anyone else in mind, (BTW which I never have proposed nor would propose any of the candidates you listed-ever).

I am of the school and logic that those types of coaches have already built their legacy and earned every right and have enough financial stability to stay and keep those programs on the trend they are on, with the exception of McGruff who is not in the same class as that group.

But hey, you keep denying you want Kelly and propose name like Cori Close who isn't even as good a recruiter as Aston and only a slightly better than x's and o's than her. Or Adia Barnes who, when she actually plays a respectable OOC and wins, I will say she's a national level coach. Pay either of them oodles of your Longhorn network money and still underachieve.

The problem is Texas thinks it is in the "elite set of programs" within WCBB due to 1 title by Conradt (n 1984 no less), but honestly, it is in the 2nd or 3rd tier of programs at best (15-30 range) on a national level.

Here is why, in my view, the stats show Texas is not elite: Since 1990 (30 years ago), Texas has made 1 Final Four (2003), 1 Elite Eight (2016), 5 Sweet 16's, 8 2nd round, 9 1st round exits (including last year) and missed the NCAAT 5 times. That is not an elite program record of success. It is a good program but to think you should get a great coach due to your standing? Um, I don't think so.

Would the AD show the patience or the honesty that your program is not truly elite to allow the "rebuild" of it to hopefully get to the national level annually. Texas will not be UConn, ND, Stanford, Tennessee, SC or Baylor worthy.

Texas is like North Carolina, Purdue, USC, Texas Tech who think because they won 1 title, they are elite despite years of nothing. You'd be lucky for the Longhorns to get into the Maryland, Ohio State tier of conference champs, top 10-15 annual rankings, regularly listed for top seeding discussion.

I used to like Texas (I grew up watching Donna Lopiano pitch for the Brackettes) but now with their sense of entitlement in all sports, notably football, I enjoy the spectacle of their failures. This is no different.

Best of luck to your pipe dream on Kelly, oh wait, I am sorry, I forgot, you really don't want him.

At least with the Lady Vol fans, they were a "somebody", so I understood their entitlement in this sport...:rolleyes:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Actually, no, I just want two things:
1. To get you off of the whole PAC12 rant. It's becoming redundant
2. To know if you had anyone else in mind, (BTW which I never have proposed nor would propose any of the candidates you listed-ever).

I am of the school and logic that those types of coaches have already built their legacy and earned every right and have enough financial stability to stay and keep those programs on the trend they are on, with the exception of McGruff who is not in the same class as that group.

But hey, you keep denying you want Kelly and propose name like Cori Close who isn't even as good a recruiter as Aston and only a slightly better than x's and o's than her. Or Adia Barnes who, when she actually plays a respectable OOC and wins, I will say she's a national level coach. Pay either of them oodles of your Longhorn network money and still underachieve.

The problem is Texas thinks it is in the "elite set of programs" within WCBB due to 1 title by Conradt (n 1984 no less), but honestly, it is in the 2nd or 3rd tier of programs at best (15-30 range) on a national level.

Here is why, in my view, the stats show Texas is not elite: Since 1990 (30 years ago), Texas has made 1 Final Four (2003), 1 Elite Eight (2016), 5 Sweet 16's, 8 2nd round, 9 1st round exits (including last year) and missed the NCAAT 5 times. That is not an elite program record of success. It is a good program but to think you should get a great coach due to your standing? Um, I don't think so.

Would the AD show the patience or the honesty that your program is not truly elite to allow the "rebuild" of it to hopefully get to the national level annually. Texas will not be UConn, ND, Stanford, Tennessee, SC or Baylor worthy.

Texas is like North Carolina, Purdue, USC, Texas Tech who think because they won 1 title, they are elite despite years of nothing. You'd be lucky for the Longhorns to get into the Maryland, Ohio State tier of conference champs, top 10-15 annual rankings, regularly listed for top seeding discussion.

I used to like Texas (I grew up watching Donna Lopiano pitch for the Brackettes) but now with their sense of entitlement in all sports, notably football, I enjoy the spectacle of their failures. This is no different.

Best of luck to your pipe dream on Kelly, oh wait, I am sorry, I forgot, you really don't want him.

At least with the Lady Vol fans, they were a "somebody", so I understood their entitlement in this sport...:rolleyes:
That certainly was a mouthful. I get it. You don't like me, my posts, or Texas. I'll move along and interact with others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom