Karem Kanter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Karem Kanter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Wholy crap, didn't see much of him. Love the way he shows the ball on O pump fake, tremendous. How happy would Larrier and our guards be to start right here with a new big? Ouch want him

And he can pass, OMG we wouldn't know what to do with him on O it's been so long. Whatever his defense is will more than make up for the lack of O we've received as of late, please please sign him up.

EDIT Looks like he declared though so he would only be a maybe which is scary because you need to wait.
We've got enough open scholarships I think we could hold just one for him...

Reaction Score
Wholy crap, didn't see much of him. Love the way he shows the ball on O pump fake, tremendous. How happy would Larrier and our guards be to start right here with a new big? Ouch want him

And he can pass, OMG we wouldn't know what to do with him on O it's been so long. Whatever his defense is will more than make up for the lack of O we've received as of late, please please sign him up.

EDIT Looks like he declared though so he would only be a maybe which is scary because you need to wait.
But when he blocks the ball he knocks it out of bounds. Chief would never approve.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

Highlights from this year. Those post moves look pretty solid.

I'll pass because the music in the highlight
Video was vintage 80's , B movie garbage.
He'll wear leather pants on away game trips.
Seka would be seen at Uconn home games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Only advanced stat that doesn't look good is Box +/- which isn't surprising given the fact that Green Bay is a bad team.
Box +/- is the one to care about – it's the best readily available advanced statistic, since it measures a player's overall contribution to the team within context, rather than just in a vacuum (i.e., it's not just a raw +/- readout). It's basically "How does the team do when you're on the court?"

As you said, Green Bay was a bad team last year. Nonetheless, Kanter was ninth on the squad in total Box +/-. Which is to say that when he was on the court, he made a bad team worse.

About Box Plus/Minus (BPM) | Basketball-Reference.com
Nylon Calculus 101: Plus-Minus and Adjusted Plus-Minus

Reaction Score
Box +/- is the one to care about – it's the best readily available advanced statistic, since it measures a player's overall contribution to the team within context, rather than just in a vacuum (i.e., it's not just a raw +/- readout). It's basically "How does the team do when you're on the court?"

As you said, Green Bay was a bad team last year. Nonetheless, Kanter was ninth on the squad in total Box +/-- Which is to say that when he was on the court, he made a bad team worse.

PER and Win Shares are both "box-score" stats that are used to evaluate players. Kanter has easily the best PER on the team and is tied for the best WS. All of these stats that try to capture the full impact of a player are always going to be lacking in some way, but most people consider WS to be the best overall advanced metric.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How did this whole "UCONN" spelling start around the country?
Has it never not been "UConn"?
On the uni's it is all caps.

Reaction Score
PER and Win Shares are both "box-score" stats that are used to evaluate players. Kanter has easily the best PER on the team and is tied for the best WS. All of these stats that try to capture the full impact of a player are always going to be lacking in some way, but most people consider WS to be the best overall advanced metric.

ESPN's Real Plus-Minus is probably better, but not available for college hoops, unfortunately.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do any schools put lowercase letters on their uniforms? Don't be stupid.
Well, yes, actually...
12232436.jpeg

UMass would be another example, although I think they go with small cap.

We use an abbreviated name that appears in all caps on our uni's. Why wouldn't the casual fan think that would be how it appears in type?

Now if the uni's said CONNECTICUT, everyone would get to initial cap it, but state names are something they see regularly.

Really, that isn't obvious to you?

Reaction Score
Well, yes, actually...
12232436.jpeg

We use an abbreviated name that appears in all caps on our uni's. Why wouldn't the casual fan think that would be how it appears in type?

Now if the uni's said CONNECTICUT, everyone would get to initial cap it, but state names are something they see regularly.

This is definitely the exception that proves the rule. Those are hideous.

Reaction Score

As you said, Green Bay was a bad team last year. Nonetheless, Kanter was ninth on the squad in total Box +/-- Which is to say that when he was on the court, he made a bad team worse.

This can't be true, since I'm pretty sure Brimah led the team in box +/- this past season, and I've been told he's not a good player.

From what little research I've done on Kanter, he seems like a homeless man's version of his brother. That's not a bad, thing, necessarily, since his brother is in the NBA, but when you average 24 and 13 per 40 and still play less than 20 minutes a game, that's probably an indication that you're really bad defensively.

But given we have five open scholarships and zero proven front court players, we'd be foolish to pass him up, IMO. He's the type of guy that you probably have to double in the post, and he'd be the first big man to play here in some time that is capable of leveraging the screening skills with the ability to read defenses out of a ball screen. If Adams and Enoch were tearing things up in pick and roll on limited reps this season, an Adams/Kanter tandem could be illegal. Larrier and Vital would benefit a lot from the attention he receives in the post, and on the other end, you'd just have to hope that a fifth year senior can't be that bad on defense, especially in a scheme that, hopefully, takes as much off his plate as possible.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Well, yes, actually...
12232436.jpeg

I would have used the various ways Michigan St has done it with "State." Obviously it happens from time to but saying that it's the way it's written that way on the uniform so that's why people write it that way means people make pretty wild assumptions.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
ESPN's Real Plus-Minus is probably better, but not available for college hoops, unfortunately.
That's the gold standard for publicly available advanced metrics.

CL82

Reaction Score
I would have used the various ways Michigan St has done it with "State." Obviously it happens from time to but saying that it's the way it's written that way on the uniform so that's why people write it that way means people make pretty wild assumptions.
Ole Miss was the first that came to mind. Script was more common in the 50/60s IIRC.

How is writing it the way they see it a wild assumption? It's logical, wrong, but logical.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
UCONN is not an acronym, the acronym would be UConn. Let's not try to make up crazy theories for something that can just be explained by just dumb people on twitter.

The correct way to write it is UConn, which is completely separate from how it's stylistically printed on something like a jersey.

Reaction Score

He's polished. Would love to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99