Kara Wolters SNY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kara Wolters SNY

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
True. But it’s a little frightening that none of our current players were alive when Bascomb and Pattyson played and Rebecca, Jennifer and Kara put us on the map and think Sales is something at Kohl’s. And a bunch of us weren’t all that young at the time. A testament to GA and the miracle of blood pressure meds.
Not sure the Kids would get the Kohl's reference. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
True story follows....

About 10 years ago, I was getting my nails done by a young twenty-something. I was telling her about a fund raiser I had gone to a few years previously where I won a cookbook signed by Paul Newman. I told her the book was probably worth more since he had passed away. She got a blank look on her face. She had never heard of Paul Newman and had no idea who he was.

Paul may even have been a little more famous than Kara.
A number of years ago, I looked at my granddaughter’s AP English book, and there was a song by Bruce Springsteen in it. I said, “Ooh, there’s a song by Bruce Springsteen!” And she said...

“Who’s Bruce Springsteen?”

Reaction Score
Kareem graduated from Power Memorial in 1965. His dad, who was a Transit cop, played trombone as a child and studied with my teacher, who was the Principal Trombone at the Met. Roger ( my teacher) once had his trombone stolen; Kareem’s dad retrieved it for him! They were quite the family.
I first saw Kareem when he was a freshman at Power, and it wasn’t on the basketball court. He was marching with the Power Memorial band in New York’s Saint Patrick’s Day parade. (He was the tall one.)

I next saw him a year later when Power came to play my school, Fordham Prep, at the Fordham University gym. We knew who he was, of course, since we were New York City basketball fans. But I was still amazed at this 6’ 10” 16-year old sophomore doing two-handed overhead dunks during warmups. Fluid and mobile and pretty marvelous.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have no problems with our broadcast crew. Most women's basketball programs wish they could have a broadcast crew. My only complaint is graphics- I would love to see the foul situation with the running score. Other than that, I am happy with the broadcast product.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
A number of years ago, I looked at my granddaughter’s AP English book, and there was a song by Bruce Springsteen in it. I said, “Ooh, there’s a song by Bruce Springsteen!” And she said...

“Who’s Bruce Springsteen?”
Did you tell her "that's my slime"?

Reaction Score
True. But it’s a little frightening that none of our current players were alive when Bascomb and Pattyson played and Rebecca, Jennifer and Kara put us on the map and think Sales is something at Kohl’s. And a bunch of us weren’t all that young at the time. A testament to GA and the miracle of blood pressure meds.
Amazon :D

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If most of us are well seasoned, does that make us salty?
It used to be salt and pepper but the pepper's pretty much shaken out at this point.

Reaction Score
I first saw Kareem when he was a freshman at Power, and it wasn’t on the basketball court. He was marching with the Power Memorial band in New York’s Saint Patrick’s Day parade. (He was the tall one.)

I next saw him a year later when Power came to play my school, Fordham Prep, at the Fordham University gym. We knew who he was, of course, since we were New York City basketball fans. But I was still amazed at this 6’ 10” 16-year old sophomore doing two-handed overhead dunks during warmups. Fluid and mobile and pretty marvelous.
I saw him in the Rome airport in the summer of 1971, on vacation after his first title. Nobody bothered him! I remember thinking how wonderful that must feel to him, and that it was unlikely to ever happen again.

Reaction Score
I saw him in the Rome airport in the summer of 1971, on vacation after his first title. Nobody bothered him! I remember thinking how wonderful that must feel to him, and that it was unlikely to ever happen again.
With the Milwaukee Bucks!

Reaction Score
Yeah Kara is gr8, knowledgeable, and cheerful too .. her father went to high school [Bishop Loughlin] a few blocks from my high school [Brooklyn Tech] I think he was All-City in basketball, along with Lew Alcindor, circa 1963 .. we had mutual friends .. I think I might have played against him in the park.
I like Alan Bestwick too; he gives you just the right amount of game information without the incessant banter from those ESPN & FOX commentators. Meghan Culmo is OK, but she gets a lot wrong..
Your comment about Kara's father rang a really dim bell with me. So, I looked up her Wiki page, found her father's name (Willi Wolters), and then looked him up. I do remember him--his Bishop Loughlin team won the New York City Catholic High School championship in his sophomore year (1961?). Wolters went on to Boston College, where his senior team had a 23-3 record. See http://www.loughlin.org/uploaded/do...eunion/Whatever_Happened_To/Wolters-Willi.pdf. After college, he had a short professional stint, and then finished law school.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I saw Mr Robinson at JFK two years ago. He was very gracious to his adoring fans.

He was on our plane but was, of course, in FirstClass while we were in the cattle section. It was an international flight so I didn’t see him after he boarde.

Attachments

• 780AB7DB-B34D-4A54-A055-EA24435CE080.jpeg
    780AB7DB-B34D-4A54-A055-EA24435CE080.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
Reaction Score
I saw Mr Robinson at JFK two years ago. He was very gracious to his adoring fans.

He was on our plane but was, of course, in FirstClass while we were in the cattle section. It was an international flight so I didn’t see him after he boarde.
What’s fun is to go to the U.S. Naval Academy, and vist their athletic facility. There, in a display case, they have a copy of Robinson’s NCAA National Player of the Year trophy—beside the Heisman trophies won by Joe Bellino and Roger Staubach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had no idea what that meant. I thought it was a typo. Then, I looked it up on Google.
I just did. Who knew?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Kara is exactly the same person in person as she is on air. Genuinely very nice and very friendly.

Reaction Score
What’s fun is to go to the U.S. Naval Academy, and vist their athletic facility. There, in a display case, they have a copy of Robinson’s NCAA National Player of the Year trophy—beside the Heisman trophies won by Joe Bellino and Roger Staubach.
When David Robinson was admitted to the Naval Academy, he was 6’5”, the maximum height for admission at the time. His growth spurt happened in college; pretty amazing.

Reaction Score
Your comment about Kara's father rang a really dim bell with me. So, I looked up her Wiki page, found her father's name (Willi Wolters), and then looked him up. I do remember him--his Bishop Loughlin team won the New York City Catholic High School championship in his sophomore year (1961?). Wolters went on to Boston College, where his senior team had a 23-3 record. See http://www.loughlin.org/uploaded/do...eunion/Whatever_Happened_To/Wolters-Willi.pdf. After college, he had a short professional stint, and then finished law school.
Yeah, Kara's father and I were on similar paths: both German, neighbors in Queens, traveling by subway to specialized high school in downtown Brooklyn, eh?
Quite an honour for "Willie" to be on the same stage as Lew Alcindor & Sonny Dove [SFP] i.e. All-City in the CHSAA! .. I never forgave Lew [now Kareem] for ditching his roots and playing for the Wizard on the Left Coast .. Lew wasn't allowed to play in his freshman year, allowing some upstarts from the Bronx to win the national championship playing for Texas Western, a good story that was made into a good fillum [as they say in Bvooklyn]

Attachments

• 1963 chsaa.jpeg
    1963 chsaa.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 84

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member