Kara Wolters SNY | The Boneyard

Kara Wolters SNY

Reaction Score
Incredible performance tonight by our team, & enjoyed so many great BY posts.....cannot believe how the girls are 'jellin'. Kara Walters has become such a wonderful women's basketball commentator. She, for you youngins, is a UConn great.....look at some of the videos from '95 and other years....she was an incredible big with smarts. She brightens up pregame, halftime, and post games on SNY. She really knows the inside game. She seems to be a lovely person as well. When she asked an unrehearsed question to her co-host, Garry Apple, she apologized to him on the air. These are the types of people Geno recruits and helps develop both in basketball and life. I rarely hear things about people who have her type of job, lauded. I am quite psyched for the SC game and do not have a clue what will occur...just hopes.. Go girls!

Reaction Score
Incredible performance tonight by our team, & enjoyed so many great BY posts.....cannot believe how the girls are 'jellin'. Kara Walters has become such a wonderful women's basketball commentator. She, for you youngins, is a UConn great.....look at some of the videos from '95 and other years....she was an incredible big with smarts. She brightens up pregame, halftime, and post games on SNY. She really knows the inside game. She seems to be a lovely person as well. When she asked an unrehearsed question to her co-host, Garry Apple, she apologized to him on the air. These are the types of people Geno recruits and helps develop both in basketball and life. I rarely hear things about people who have her type of job, lauded. I am quite psyched for the SC game and do not have a clue what will occur...just hopes.. Go girls!
Yeah Kara is gr8, knowledgeable, and cheerful too .. her father went to high school [Bishop Loughlin] a few blocks from my high school [Brooklyn Tech] I think he was All-City in basketball, along with Lew Alcindor, circa 1963 .. we had mutual friends .. I think I might have played against him in the park.
I like Alan Bestwick too; he gives you just the right amount of game information without the incessant banter from those ESPN & FOX commentators. Meghan Culmo is OK, but she gets a lot wrong..

Reaction Score
I like Bestwick. He's a good commentator, but his body language makes me think that he ought to consider switching to decaf...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I like Bestwick, but i'm getting a little tired of Meghan. Shes more like a cheerleader, and she really is annoying to listen to. I think she's too close to Geno to be critical, and she really doesn't know too much about the opposing players. Why don't we have opposing coach pregame interviews? I know alot of people may disagree with me, but these broadcasts are boring me. Just staying tuned because I love the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I like Bestwick, but i'm getting a little tired of Meghan. Shes more like a cheerleader, and she really is annoying to listen to. I think she's too close to Geno to be critical, and she really doesn't know too much about the opposing players. Why don't we have opposing coach pregame interviews? I know alot of people may disagree with me, but these broadcasts are boring me. Just staying tuned because I love the Huskies.
If you ever have the time, and who doesn't these days, track down a few ND games or even worse Tennessee games on their broadcast network and then get back to us on the subject of homerism. Culmo is very evenhanded and generous with her praise of players from both teams on the floor. Her critiques of play comes from having played four years at UConn and then coached under GA. Whatever the case, she's earned the right to be where she is doing what she does however she damn well pleases. And there's always the volume control.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The board may have newbies but few young ‘uns. Most of us are more, uh, seasoned.

Reaction Score
If you ever have the time, and who doesn't these days, track down a few ND games or even worse Tennessee games on their broadcast network and then get back to us on the subject of homerism. Culmo is very evenhanded and generous with her praise of players from both teams on the floor. Her critiques of play comes from having played four years at UConn and then coached under GA. Whatever the case, she's earned the right to be where she is doing what she does however she damn well pleases. And there's always the volume control.
We are all paying customers of UConn games so, NO, Meghan does NOT have the right to do as "she damn well pleases", eh?
Fortunately, Bestwick and Meghan make a pretty good combo, with Bestwick being a cut above IMO.
Before each SNY game, the pair preps the viewers with all relevant stats and info, including injury reports & starting line-ups, and Meghan concludes the pre-game with her personal [she's the color analyst] opinion on what to look for and expect from the game. Very good.
During the game, Bestwick does an excellent job of keeping the viewer up-to-date on players' points, assists, fouls, rebounds et al. I don't miss Eric Frede at all.
And I like Kara Wolters energy and commentary as well. We could do worse ... eh?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah Kara is gr8, knowledgeable, and cheerful too .. her father went to high school [Bishop Loughlin] a few blocks from my high school [Brooklyn Tech] I think he was All-City in basketball, along with Lew Alcindor, circa 1963 .. we had mutual friends .. I think I might have played against him in the park.
I like Alan Bestwick too; he gives you just the right amount of game information without the incessant banter from those ESPN & FOX commentators. Meghan Culmo is OK, but she gets a lot wrong..
Loughlin is just 4 blocks from my house.

Reaction Score
Kareem graduated from Power Memorial in 1965. His dad, who was a Transit cop, played trombone as a child and studied with my teacher, who was the Principal Trombone at the Met. Roger ( my teacher) once had his trombone stolen; Kareem’s dad retrieved it for him! They were quite the family.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So you are close to Brooklyn Tech as well, eh?
I went to Tech in 1964 for one year then transferred to John Jay in Park Slope. I was not studious. My Tech chemistry teacher told me that if I passed the chem regents he'd eat a piece of paper with egg on it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
True but if someone on this board (seasoned or youngin) doesn't know who Kara is....
Let me stop right there because you are always encouraging us to be nice to our fellow posters.
True story follows....

About 10 years ago, I was getting my nails done by a young twenty-something. I was telling her about a fund raiser I had gone to a few years previously where I won a cookbook signed by Paul Newman. I told her the book was probably worth more since he had passed away. She got a blank look on her face. She had never heard of Paul Newman and had no idea who he was.

Paul may even have been a little more famous than Kara.

Reaction Score
I went to Tech in 1964 for one year then transferred to John Jay in Park Slope. I was not studious. My Tech chemistry teacher told me that if I passed the chem regents he'd eat a piece of paper with egg on it.
Funny, chem [and math] were my best subjects, my major(s) in college .. I taught math at Christ the King HS where Chamique, Sue Bird & Tina Charles attended. I also coached for the Liberty Belles AAU, the farm team for all those CTK national championships, eh?
Both of my daughters played hoops at CTK.

Reaction Score
True story follows....

About 10 years ago, I was getting my nails done by a young twenty-something. I was telling her about a fund raiser I had gone to a few years previously where I won a cookbook signed by Paul Newman. I told her the book was probably worth more since he had passed away. She got a blank look on her face. She had never heard of Paul Newman and had no idea who he was.

French tips? squared? gel? what color? finish the story..
manicure GIF

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
The pre game show is stilted, repetitive and boring as hell and I skip it every time.

The halftime show is not much better.

Kara should have stuck with the Radio side.

Reaction Score
True story follows....

I named my dog after Mickey Mantle. A teenager once asked me who that was.

Reaction Score
I also think Gary Apple is great. He hits just the right big notes about the individual players and the game. Last night we found out he was a point guard. It makes sense. He has a good feel for the game.

Reaction Score
I also think Gary Apple is great. He hits just the right big notes about the individual players and the game. Last night we found out he was a point guard. It makes sense. He has a good feel for the game.
Yes Gary Apple works .. he's not a moron and has good chemistry with Kara, he lets Kara do her thing..

Reaction Score
Are we talking about the same Kara Wolters who is from Massachusettes?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The board may have newbies but few young ‘uns. Most of us are more, uh, seasoned.
True. But it’s a little frightening that none of our current players were alive when Bascomb and Pattyson played and Rebecca, Jennifer and Kara put us on the map and think Sales is something at Kohl’s. And a bunch of us weren’t all that young at the time. A testament to GA and the miracle of blood pressure meds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom