Kara Lawson - Starting off on the right foot SPEECH | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kara Lawson - Starting off on the right foot SPEECH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have every respect for Kellie Harper, but before it’s all said and done, I’m afraid Tennessee, and their fans, are going to painfully regret not having pursued/signed-up Kara as their coach.
She may end up at Tennessee yet if Harper doesn't meet expectations over time.

Reaction Score
She may end up at Tennessee yet if Harper doesn't meet expectations over time.

What would want her to prefer Tenn to Duke? I understand it's her alma mater but it's like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. And Tenn is a football school while Duke is a basketball school.

Reaction Score
As long as a certain #1 recruit didnt see that tweet from K.Law congrats or w/e

Reaction Score
Kara needs to also focus her magic on the fans. Last I looked before Covid, Duke women's basketball only averaged 3,300 fans a home game. No wonder South Carolina does so well at recruiting - they consistently lead the nation in home attendance with over 10,000 a game (about 13% more than UConn).

Reaction Score
I listened to her speech. Why didnt she define "competing" & more importantly, how do you do it?? She focused on "hard work" & the need to go beyond that. I get it. Just thought she was going to go into what she means by "competing". Maybe that part got cut out of the video. Good message nonetheless.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A little more detailed writeup and embedded videos

Reaction Score
I listened to her speech. Why didnt she define "competing" & more importantly, how do you do it?? She focused on "hard work" & the need to go beyond that. I get it. Just thought she was going to go into what she means by "competing". Maybe that part got cut out of the video. Good message nonetheless.
Oh please, It wasn't a doctoral dissertation. It wasn't even a commencement speech.

Reaction Score
Kara needs to also focus her magic on the fans. Last I looked before Covid, Duke women's basketball only averaged 3,300 fans a home game. No wonder South Carolina does so well at recruiting - they consistently lead the nation in home attendance with over 10,000 a game (about 13% more than UConn).
SC plays in an 18k+ facility. UConn typically plays in smaller venues (Gampel, Mohegan, B'port)... only XL Center is close at 16k, and they won't play there until next year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC plays in an 18k+ facility. UConn typically plays in smaller venues (Gampel, Mohegan, B'port)... only XL Center is close at 16k, and they won't play there until next year.

Mohegan/Bridgeport aren't technically considered home games despite the home atmosphere, so they aren't averaged into numbers.

UCONN played 7 home games at Gampel last year and cracked 10k for 3 of them, and played 7 home games at XL last year and also only cracked 10k for 3 of them. South Carolina had 10,000+ fans at all 15 of their home games.

Reaction Score
Mohegan/Bridgeport aren't technically considered home games despite the home atmosphere, so they aren't averaged into numbers.

UCONN played 7 home games at Gampel last year and cracked 10k for 3 of them, and played 7 home games at XL last year and also only cracked 10k for 3 of them. South Carolina had 10,000+ fans at all 15 of their home games.

I doubt many SC fans ever have to clean the snow off their car and drive on icy roads to get to the arena.
But it's great though that S Car is able to get fans into the games when a lot of other P-5 programs couldn't do it if the tickets were free.

Reaction Score
My favourite Vol was, of course, Chamique Holdsclaw who played with my daughter in high school at Christ the King [Queens] which also produced Huskies Sue Bird & Tina Charles, eh?
But the Kara Lawson/Stacy Dales combo was my [all-time] favourite TV analysts for women's hoops .. their chemistry was the BEST!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There are a lot of S.C. fans on this forum so they can correct if I am wrong on this but in my annually assessment of attendance and the S.C. rise in the ranks, Dawn did an awesome outreach to local schools, club and youth organizations and offered great deals to get fans in the stands (lower ticket prices). UConn already had fans due to all of its history of success and has maintained their higher than most program ticket prices and I would argue that UConn generates mor revenue from their games even with less attendance. So while attendance is nice, it’s still all about the revenue.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There are a lot of S.C. fans on this forum so they can correct if I am wrong on this but in my annually assessment of attendance and the S.C. rise in the ranks, Dawn did an awesome outreach to local schools, club and youth organizations and offered great deals to get fans in the stands (lower ticket prices). UConn already had fans due to all of its history of success and has maintained their higher than most program ticket prices and I would argue that UConn generates mor revenue from their games even with less attendance. So while attendance is nice, it’s still all about the revenue.

Yeah as far as revenue im confident UCONN's is higher since they charge far more than SC does to attend games.

I dont think the OP was trying to shade UCONN but is pointing out a more recent example of a program that has managed to bring in huge attendance numbers and as a result has fantastic recruiting success, which is what Kara Lawson will try to do at Duke.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson is from the DMV (District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia), and I root for the hometown woman/man. I love Kara. She is a down to earth person. Even though it is Duke, I will watch to see her on the sidelines and watch her accomplishments.

Reaction Score

Im worried she could end up being the next Geno/Pat/Tara/Mulkey.....she has all the tools , background and championships to prove it on ALMOST every level besides those UCONN years :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Im worried she could end up being the next Geno/Pat/Tara/Mulkey.....she has all the tools , background and championships to prove it on ALMOST every level besides those UCONN years :D

No one appreciates the UConn style more than Kara. I am in favor of any coach that can replicate that style (at some level) but maybe SEC roots run deep?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
All the tools but experience.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why is this worrying? The sport needs great coaches, and specifically a new generation of great coaches. Of the coaches you listed, Pat has passed, Geno and Tara are over 65. and Mulkey at 58 is no spring chicken either.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Why is this worrying? The sport needs great coaches, and specifically a new generation of great coaches. Of the coaches you listed, Pat has passed, Geno and Tara are over 65. and Mulkey at 58 is no spring chicken either.
I would argue the next tier also isn’t so young, Kelly-58 in Jan, Vic-59, Wes Moore 63, Doug Bruno-69, followed by the “Spring chickens” of Dawn-50, Scott Rueck-51, Brenda-50, Jeff 49, I would also add that Cori 49 and Jose Fernandez-49 in Nov are close in age to this group but a tier down from them as well.
Kara is 39, Courtney Banghart 42, Adia Barnes 43, Joanna Bernabei-McNamee 45 are comparable with Banghart the most successful to date and all with huge upside. And lest I forget and get harangued from the masses, Carla Berube is 45.
I will say this and give credit to @Dillon77 is Meg Duffy -36 will enlighten many of us here on the BY with her current Covid stricken Marquette squad on her coaching acumen as she’s destined for P5 greatness. If Niele 43 falters, ND has options is all I am saying..:rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
So let’s fast forward 5 years and Kara’s done well at Duke, getting top recruits, winning an ACC or 2, making some good runs in the NCAA a final four maybe, a few elite 8s and then bam, Geno retires, does Kara throw her hat into the Basketball Capital of the world ring? I mean talk about challenges following Geno?
Plus, I want to see @triaddukefan and all the LV fans heads explode... :D

Sorry Triad I could let this feel good thread get you too far down the happiness trail...:cool:

Reaction Score
So let’s fast forward 5 years and Kara’s done well at Duke, getting top recruits, winning an ACC or 2, making some good runs in the NCAA a final four maybe, a few elite 8s and then bam, Geno retires, does Kara throw her hat into the Basketball Capital of the world ring? I mean talk about challenges following Geno?
Plus, I want to see @triaddukefan and all the LV fans heads explode... :D

Sorry Triad I could let this feel good thread get you too far down the happiness trail...:cool:
IMO, it almost always revolves around recruiting. Assuming that her ultimate goal is winning NCs, I’d think that if Lawson feels that Duke’s academics restrict her recruiting pool in any way, she may indeed take a shot at the UConn job.

Reaction Score
I always thought Kara would be a worthy successor to Geno, based on her analysis of the games on ESPN. very knowledgeable & articulate and didnt let the natural bias of where she went to school prevent her from being very praising of Geno and his teams' style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom