Kansas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kansas

Reaction Score
Recruiting territory isn’t particularly relevant to expansion, unless you mean paying undergrads, that’s where the money is. TCU is a highly religious school. 9000 undergrads. It’s a good school but not really the PAC profile. TT has 33k undergrads. It attracts quite a few students from CA and Colorado. I don’t expect the PAC to look at any private religiously affiliated institutions, so that also includes Baylor. The PAC has zero chance of being meaningful in DFW, but they can take some territory in west Texas.

Of course they said expansion is off, so this is all moot for now.
I think recruiting territory is critical in expansion. It ranks second only to TV value. Look where football players come from and where the B12 expanded to. OH, FL and TX are tops for recruiting and then they took BYU for market value due to the national fanbase.

You can see the issue in UConn's basketball recruiting. We are a much hotter commodity recruiting the Northeast as a Big East school than we were in the AAC. Pitt can't recruit the Northeast for crap playing in the ACC. You need to play games in the good recruiting territories to get the best players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think recruiting territory is critical in expansion. It ranks second only to TV value. Look where football players come from and where the B12 expanded to. OH, FL and TX are tops for recruiting and then they took BYU for market value due to the national fanbase.

You can see the issue in UConn's basketball recruiting. We are a much hotter commodity recruiting the Northeast as a Big East school than we were in the AAC. Pitt can't recruit the Northeast for crap playing in the ACC. You need to play games in the good recruiting territories to get the best players.

I'm not sure we are that far apart on this. UConn has been recruiting New England and NJ well in the Big East. Are we playing any more games there, really? Not many. But we are playing games those kids will watch. UConn vs Xavier is a game a kid in NJ sees, while UConn vs USF he doesn't see. Is a Providence game key to recruiting Karaban? No. I don't think USC, Washington or Oregon need any help recruiting Texas. TCU isn't going to cause their games to be seen by many Texas kids, but Oklahoma State will, because it's more likely to be on TV in more of Texas than TCU is. But the actual location of the school, I don't think that matters much. Playing South Florida doesn't bring the FLA eyeballs that playing UF does.

Central Florida does probably help the Big XII in Florida, because it's a good enough program and has a huge alumni base. But a tiny religious school in Fort Worth isn't helping Cal recruit DFW very much. The Pac has a unique problem in that too many of its games simply aren't seen by anybody east of the Rockies. Not sure what they will do to solve that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom