Kansas State Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Kansas State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I don't agree. The other team would be more capable of going on a run and between the turnovers of Molly and Kyla and the defense - they could put the others in foul trouble. And ofc change momentum.
I am not say 8 or 9 minutes in a row. Short spurts here and there. They had periods of 20 point leads. Scholarship players can't hold the fort down? I absolutely think they are both more than capable. We are not going to find out for a while.

As much as I love this team and staff, in my opinion they can not win the NC with 7. Those two have to get some meaningful time and be ready for the tourney. I thought a game with a 20 point lead with tired players on the floor would be a chance to do that.

It is back to original question. Is the streak getting to be too big a burden? If they would have lost the game because of time given to Bent or Irwin, from the NC standpoint, what does it matter?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am not say 8 or 9 minutes in a row. Short spurts here and there. They had periods of 20 point leads. Scholarship players can't hold the fort down? I absolutely think they are both more than capable. We are not going to find out for a while.

As much as I love this team and staff, in my opinion they can not win the NC with 7. Those two have to get some meaningful time and be ready for the tourney. I thought a game with a 20 point lead with tired players on the floor would be a chance to do that.

It is back to original question. Is the streak getting to be too big a burden? If they would have lost the game because of time given to Bent or Irwin, from the NC standpoint, what does it matter?
It's not good for the game flow to make frequent, short term substitutions and it wouldn't be good for Molly or Kyla, either.

Reaction Score
Gabby didn't have her best game, but she gave it all she had. Another big in 6'5" Lewis can wear you down. She looked tired. Lou slowed down in the second half; she also looked tired. Hopefully they'll get some rest against some of the AAC opponents. They'll need it; it's a long year. Even with only six players, on the other team's court, in front of a sold out crowd, with a tired team, and the Huskies still won. GO Huskies! Woof!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
It's not good for the game flow to make frequent, short term substitutions and it wouldn't be good for Molly or Kyla, either.
Respectfully disagree. Coaches do it all the time when they have a tired team or foul trouble. A tired team is what Geno had today. I also think playing Molly or Kyla in short spurts is better than not playing them at all. It is not so much giving them a chance that they may or may not deserve, it is providing a little protection for those that they need in March.
It is December.

Reaction Score

Or when we do as you say put in Kyla and if she makes a defensive lapse it would cause Katie Lou to pick up her 2nd foul.. What then? It only takes one defensive lapse. Or in the 2nd qtr Gabby has two fouls maybe she picks up a 3rd.

Or with Molly in she causes Nurse to pick up her 2nd foul in the 1st half.

I'm not entirely disasgreeing about Molly- but he did use her vs FSU. And wouldn't you think if she was decent in practice he'd probably play her?

I don't agree with though playing a pretty good team just to put a bench player in just to give a rest if you don't feel the player coming in is that good. I'm not sure Kyla has shown right now she is that good to warrant a game like this unless the lead is bigger. You don't want her putting pressure on teammates.

I don't agree with your assertion that they can't win with 7. In fact they are winning with 7 other than FSU. If you want to say Bent was vital in that game-- okay but I don't agree. I think it would be a poor decision to use players that aren't good when you don't have to. The 8th and 9th players will have opportunity to play in the AAC. Right now it is best we keep winning and not put our star players at risk because we want to give them a blow that they didn't need.

And I don't think the streak is a burden at all. I think you're wrong to even ask if the question is legit as you look at this game. I think the game is put at risk with your style of wanting to put Kyla in. We won this game comfortably. -- Please don't take offense with my comments. I respect yours-- we just disagree on this. In conclusion, a 20 point lead in the 1st quarter could have ended up putting Lou on the bench early in the 2nd qtr causing this team undue risk if for example Kyla came in and missed an assignment. Just like in baseball there are "stress pitches" vs "normal pitches." If one of the subs you wanted in caused Lou to pick up number 2, your way is putting undue stress on this team.

I think that top of stress will ultimately wear down the team more. And you just didn't need to do it which makes it worse. Self-inflicted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Geno could care less about the streak ,it's all about getting better and earning your minutes
I agree Geno doesn't care about streaks, but I believe he does care very much about winning each individual game. It is a difference in focus, mind set, that has won 11 NC's.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I don't take offense. Banter on a message board. I will acknowledge, respectfully, that I don't agree with any of your above post.

Reaction Score
I don't take offense. Banter on a message board. I will acknowledge, respectfully, that I don't agree with any of your above post.

I'm glad you didn't take offense. When we have differing opinions on how the game should be played and coached it can get hostile. Glad its not that way between us. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
When it comes to the dance, Geno seldom goes beyond 7 players and never more than 8. As long as we do not have a major injury, we will be fine. And after the Md game, all the games will be practice games (possible exception of SFU). Molly and Kyla will get plenty of game practice if they earn it in practice practice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good game. Happy for KSU that they have something they can hold on to - played Uconn even for three quarters. They played a really good zone defense I thought after the first quarter where Uconn got lots of transition looks and destroyed them.

And a good game by Uconn - not there best, and short handed, but solid. And KSU's defense had a bit to do with our struggles after the first quarter - they have good size and were able to run at the shooters and bother them. Not sure I have seen as many blocked shots against Uconn inside in a long time either.

Good win to send them into their break.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta agree we were tired and we missed Saniya. She takes alot of pressure off everybody as she seldom makes turnovers and her presence allows Nurse and everybody else the freedom to move around and score. With Kia handleing the ball that was one less scoring option. CD did a very good job but when she sat Kia had to handle the ball.

Each player had a good bunch of assists. The zone didnt allow us to get the ball inside easily and score. The zone defense was something we didnt easily handle but our patience with stood it and we were patient enough to wait to score. Our defense again enabled us to score multiple times and grab an early lead. Late in the game our tiredness showed and when things got tight, we found away to run up the score. Relentless. They reached down deep inside to run it up and have a comfortable lead. Today we showed we were a complete team with Saniya out, and the team tired we still won convincingly. It wasnt easy and at times a little ugly but you know what....despite everything we won.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A lot of the ugly is created by Kansas State. Lewis getting rebounds, blocking shots, disrupting inside passing. And their guards are tough, especially on defense.

I figured their 9-0 record was no fluke. And it isn't. Kudos to K-State. They are certainly going to make a lot of waves in the Big 12, and later.
You would not be saying that if you had seen them the other night when they played an unranked team. They looked very mediocre. They got UP for UCONN. Like Maryland, they don't play like that all the time.

Reaction Score
This team is mentally incapable of playing 1 solid half, they blow one quarter every game going 5 or 7 minuted like they have no idea what's going on. They just get lazy for stretches of every game. They should have put this game away, up by 25+, but they thought it was over and stopped playing for 7 minutes.
Maybe. Another cause could be that most are playing 40 minutes a game and getting hammered. Physically, I wonder when Geno will give them a rest, even for a few minutes. Getting concerned that they will not last the year.

Reaction Score
Calling it now, they are going to blow this lead and it's going to come down to the last 5 minutes
Are you new to watching this team? Very gutty performance every game.

Reaction Score
The score was 50-50 after the 1st quarter. Putting in Irwin and Bent would not have been productive, imo.
Have to agree that the starters need a rest, even a few minutes prior to end of quarter or before a timeout. If there is another injury, no experience. As it is, starters take a quarter or so off-a sub or two would minimize this and could actually help the score.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Molly and Kyla both played several minutes in the second quarter of the Baylor game. Did Geno decide that they performed so poorly in that game that he was not going to do that again, even against a lesser opponent when he had a greater lead? Or have they regressed in practice since then?

It is somewhat concerning, at least to me.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As it is, starters take a quarter or so off-a sub or two would minimize this and could actually help the score.

I don't think Bent or Irwin in that environment would help the score. They'll get some minutes against lesser competition later.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Molly and Kyla both played several minutes in the second quarter of the Baylor game. Did Geno decide that they performed so poorly in that game that he was not going to do that again, even against a lesser opponent when he had a greater lead? Or have they regressed in practice since then?

That was at home, not on the road where role players tend to really struggle, much less in front of 12,000.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno is pleased with the team's progress at this point in the season:

Auriemma was impressed. Each game has been a test for a team that began the season untested. And the the kids who will be taking exams this week have aced their basketball tests, one after another.

"This isn't like last year or the year before where we were convinced that there was no way we could lose," Auriemma said. "We knew that and so did the teams we played against, they knew that. All we had to do was go out and play our game. … I don't think any of us, going in, thought that this was going to be automatic or easy. And it hasn't been easy, and far from being automatic, as well. It's really been hard, given our limited roster and how little experience we have in these moments. I couldn't be happier for this team, as individuals and as a team. I couldn't be happier for them, to be where we are right now
."

UConn Takes Down Undefeated Kansas State, 75-58

Reaction Score
When you break as many records as Geno has you know what the other records out there are. To be known as the greatest coach he has to not just break them but smash them. When asked about the win streak he says be does not know or care - Hogwash - He knows exactly who he has to beat to get to the magical # 100 and beyond. I for one would like it no other way

Reaction Score
I think there's just an expectation that they'll play consistently and it appears that wasn't the case today. They are kids and as has been mentioned, they've played lots of minutes, had finals and probably dealing with a bit of jet lag but most people aren't aware of some of the things that people deal with along the way. When you run into a friend that's a bit grumpy, you might be taken aback without realizing they may have had some awful issues to deal with. Same thing here!
Wow, did I get a like from Husky Nan???? I don't have a recollection of that ever happening. Anyway, I love the fact that the girls (ladies) continue to prevail through a lot of adversity (even when self imposed) and WIN, WIN, WIN! A great omen, indeed! Unbeaten would be awesome but it's so important that they just continue to strive to be better (or be the closest thing to perfect they can be) as Geno and Chris have always asked them to be. Amazing teams and amazing young women!

Reaction Score
But the lead got down to 11.
The Huskies and Kansas State played even over the last three quarters! I think in a rematch, in March, with enough time to rest and recuperate, it wouldn't even be close. I do credit Kansas State but UConn has been through the mill over the last couple weeks with their schedule AND EXPECTATIONS and they faltered a bit but they earned a little lapse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom