Kansas Post Game Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Kansas Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
These highly ranked young players need some time or they end up in the transfer portal. It's all about PT for them. We must allow them to make mistakes but on a highly ranked top 10 team against big time opponents it's not easy for coaches to do it.
I’m not saying it’s easy but I think it’s necessary because as you stated, they will transfer out these days if they don’t feel needed or wanted. So imo it’s even more imperative than it ever has been to get them some burn. Even its just a few minutes in the first half when your starter is limping through the game

Reaction Score
Ok then, so should we have tried one of them against Kansas or not? My answer is we should have tried one of them for a few minutes, more specifically in the first half. I prefer Stewart out of the two.

I will go out on a limb and say right now that Stewart should get at least 2-4 minutes against UNC regardless of circumstances. What say you?

That’s my argument and my philosophy and that’s what people here seem to be arguing against. The argument I’m seeing is that he and Ross cannot compete against a high major/elite opponent at this time. I disagree
Stewart should get 10 minutes against UNC, because it's not a remotely similar to the environment to on the road against Kansas. By the time Spencer was hurt and that situation came up it was too risky to use him against Kansas down double digits.

Nobody is saying they don't need minutes, down double digits on the road is not the time. Every coach in the country is shortening their rotation in that situation. Hurley has proven year after year he plays freshmen, despite whatever false narrative you try and spin

Reaction Score
With Karaban's injury, Stewart is likely in line for more minutes, even with Castle's return. UNC isn't a double big team, so I don't think we play Clingan+Johnson together at all.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Stewart should get 10 minutes against UNC, because it's not a remotely similar to the environment to on the road against Kansas. By the time Spencer was hurt and that situation came up it was too risky to use him against Kansas down double digits.

Nobody is saying they don't need minutes, down double digits on the road is not the time. Every coach in the country is shortening their rotation in that situation.
I was going to see if I could find an example to dispute this, but damn weve never played in a ranked road game during any of the years we made deep runs. Lmao

Reaction Score
These highly ranked young players need some time or they end up in the transfer portal. It's all about PT for them. We must allow them to make mistakes but on a highly ranked top 10 team against big time opponents it's not easy for coaches to do it.
They are getting time and will most likely get more time as the season goes on. They'll be starters here next season.

Throwing them in there against a top 5 opponent in the toughest building to play in especially after we were blitzed early seems like it should be really easy to understand where our coach was coming from.

Reaction Score
I was going to see if I could find an example to dispute this, but damn weve never played in a ranked road game during any of the years we made deep runs. Lmao
Don't be dense. This was OUR FIRST ROAD GAME OF THE YEAR, RANKED #4 playing #3 in the TOUGHEST ARENA in the damn country. No one is 'protecting' Hurley. I was calling for him to get Spencer out of the game when he was killing us like many. But I'm not going to come on here after the fact and pretend that I know better than the damn coach who should play in Allen Field House.

Aaaand when some good frosh moments happen down the road, maybe even b/c the coach saved those freshman the possible confidence killing embarrassment of crapping the bed in their first road game you DO NOT get to say I TOLD YOU SO. If you are such a great coach, go coach a college team into the top ten. Or maybe realize its just your opinion and it is FAR more likely to be wrong than right vs someone who is a coach and has ten thousand times the amount of info that you possess.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ok then, so should we have tried one of them against Kansas or not? My answer is we should have tried one of them for a few minutes, more specifically in the first half. I prefer Stewart out of the two.

I will go out on a limb and say right now that Stewart should get at least 2-4 minutes against UNC regardless of circumstances. What say you?

That’s my argument and my philosophy and that’s what people here seem to be arguing against. The argument I’m seeing is that he and Ross cannot compete against a high major/elite opponent at this time. I disagree
It is very reasonable to believe that we could have given one or both a few minutes in the Kansas game and kept the game competitive.

What you are missing is that it is equally reasonable to believe that the approach Hurley took, ensuring that two of Clingan, Karaban and Johnson were manning the 4-5 spots at all times and three of the four healthy, reliable ballhandlers (Newton, Spencer, Ball and Diarra) were on the court at all times. We were in the game (after withstanding a few early haymakers) until the end and had an open shot to win with a few seconds left. You can speculate that the results could have been better if we took a different approach but that is merely speculation.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Stewart get some more time - particularly with the nagging injuries. I was really surprised how passive Solo was offensively in the Kansas game; he has the physical skills to match up. Seemed like he was standing aroand a lot.

Reaction Score
It is very reasonable to believe that we could have given one or both a few minutes in the Kansas game and kept the game competitive.

What you are missing is that it is equally reasonable to believe that the approach Hurley took, ensuring that two of Clingan, Karaban and Johnson were manning the 4-5 spots at all times and three of the four healthy, reliable ballhandlers (Newton, Spencer, Ball and Diarra) were on the court at all times. We were in the game (after withstanding a few early haymakers) until the end and had an open shot to win with a few seconds left. You can speculate that the results could have been better if we took a different approach but that is merely speculation.
I am not even trying to argue that the results would have been better.
I am just saying it would have been worth a try to play just one of them for a few minutes.
I’m getting absolutely blasted for a perfectly reasonable and straightforward take.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, but half the board got on me when I suggested he should have played more minutes than he was getting early on. Just like what is happening now. God forbid you have an opinion contrary to what coach Hurley does. I’m not saying I’m an expert. I personally just think he’s too tentative when it comes to playing freshman through mistakes early in the season
Hurley isn’t dumb. Carlton was actually quite effective as a Junior and Adama just simply stole his job and sent him packing. This board screamed for Diggins to play, but there were reasons why he didn’t. In this case, Hurley chose Ball and a hobbled Spencer over Stewart. Why? My guess is that he (a) doesn’t understand the defensive rotations, especially rim protection at the SF spot and (b) remains very hesitant on offense when he’s in. Point (a) was exacerbated by the fact that he’d be guarding KU’s leading scorer.

I expect Stewart to play more against UNC due to injuries and play more still the next game. He is going to be a contributor but playing at UConn isn’t like playing at Washington. The competition for minutes is much greater.

Reaction Score

Nobody is saying they don't need minutes, down double digits on the road is not the time. Every coach in the country is shortening their rotation in that situation. Hurley has proven year after year he plays freshmen, despite whatever false narrative you try and spin
Interesting.
I would argue we have a lot less to lose in a game on the road where we are literally expected to lose and we are the underdogs vs a game where we are expected to probably win at MSG but okay sure. Cover your basis.

Imo when your back is against the wall in a foreign land and you are about to be knocked out is the perfect time to start swinging and pull out all the cards in the stack. But hey that’s just me

Reaction Score

If Hurley had brought in Stewart down double digits in the first half on Friday, I would have flown to Kansas to choke the life out of him myself.

Reaction Score
Predictable (and predicted by me) given that Karaban was guarding him. Refs didn't decide the game. UConn missing FTs probably did.
If their non-calls didn’t hurt I’d be ok with them. Replay clearly showed Diarra’s arm grabbed, so lost ball instead of a layup. There were other muggings too that went against us. If KU shot like they did all year we would have won. Couldn’t overcome their defense, shooting, and bad or no calls. The dreaded trifecta.

Reaction Score
If Hurley had brought in Stewart down double digits in the first half on Friday, I would have flown to Kansas to choke the life out of him myself.
Just a totally different philosophy for me. The group we had in was the reason for the deficit. So imo you try something new.

This is way I prefer to lurk than to post. I’m sure a few here would be fine with that too

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Anybody have the thought that he may just live for the big moment and love atmospheres like that?

the coach saved those freshman the possible confidence killing embarrassment of crapping the bed in their first road game
I think Dirk just did an interview on how he was embarrassed so much by 2007 it made him improve his game for 2011.

Failure is a great thing to get out the way early.

It’s clear some of yall have never hooped.

Reaction Score
Anybody have the thought that he may just live for the big moment and love atmospheres like that?

I think Dirk just did an interview on how he was embarrassed so much by 2007 it made him improve his game for 2011.

Failure is a great thing to get out the way early.

It’s clear some of yall have never hooped.
Oh so now the spin is 'he' (Ross or Stewart) would have crapped the bed and that helps down the road and the greatest European NBA success story of all time is your comp?!

That same motivating factor is available by not getting/earning playing time = work harder to DESERVE to be in the game - give the coach no choice but to put you into lineup.

The not playing hoops comment is just dumb when you don't know who you are talking to. Nothing can be 'clear' on the anonymous internet other than that HuskyWarrior611's poor supposition skills lead to increasingly bad takes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Oh so now the spin is 'he' (Ross or Stewart) would have crapped the bed and that helps down the road and the greatest European NBA success story of all time is your comp?!

That same motivating factor is available by not getting/earning playing time = work harder to DESERVE to be in the game - give the coach no choice but to put you into lineup.
I don’t even know why the assumption always has to be that they will fail in the first place.

That’s the biggest issue with a lot of these stances is the belief that you clearly don’t have in these players.

Reaction Score
All this thread does is remind me that we could use a system for settling 'yard disputes.

You want to say stupid things? That's fine, but you better be ready for 5 rounds in the octagon with me, thank you very much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don’t even know why the assumption always has to be that they will fail in the first place.

That’s the biggest issue with a lot of these stances is the belief that you clearly don’t have in these players.
What and endless thread. The belief is that the coaching staff that works with these guys every day has a much better sense of whether they are ready to play in a game like last Friday than you do. Or I do. Or the Seattle guy does. Given that Cam was hurt and played like crap honestly, and Stewart and Ross still didn't get in, I'm fairly comfortable suggesting that they aren't ready for a game like that.

I'm not sure people appreciate how hard our defense and offense are to run. We aren't running ordinary stuff these guys ran in HS. Our whole rough stretch last year came when teams exposed our inability to cover the paint when the 5 is out. It's a lot of responsibility to know if it's your job to move off your man and cover the paint and when to move back and have somebody else take it. When Hurley suggested Castle might not start before the season, that was why. He didn't have it down. Given that Hunter shoots from outside, we know that DC/SJ would need to move out to cover him. So that defensive rotation was absolutely critical. It is less critical tonight.

Reaction Score
What and endless thread. The belief is that the coaching staff that works with these guys every day has a much better sense of whether they are ready to play in a game like last Friday than you do.

Anyone who has spent time coaching knows how ridiculous people are about PT. No coach is TRYING TO LOSE GAMES by not playing positive contributors.

If the young guns showed they had the skill to contribute in the dozens and dozens of practice hours the coaches have seen... well, they would be on the floor.

That doesn't mean if they come back next year an improved player that Hurley and co. dropped the ball. It means they improved enough to play.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has spent time coaching knows how ridiculous people are about PT. No coach is TRYING TO LOSE GAMES by not playing positive contributors.

If the young guns showed they had the skill to contribute in the dozens and dozens of practice hours the coaches have seen... well, they would be on the floor.

That doesn't mean if they come back next year an improved player that Hurley and co. dropped the ball. It means they improved enough to play.
Great point, PT is the #1-10 thing that people who aren't coaching or haven't bytch about.

I had a parent last year talking to the HC right after a game in front of his son to call out the coach for not playing him. The kid had been to 50% of the practices (always botched plays & was out of position) and showed up in the 2ndQ of this particular game with a practice jersey on instead of a uniform. The parent's exactly backwards main point/question was; "how is my son supposed to commit to this team if he isn't given playing time?!"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What and endless thread. The belief is that the coaching staff that works with these guys every day has a much better sense of whether they are ready to play in a game like last Friday than you do. Or I do. Or the Seattle guy does. Given that Cam was hurt and played like crap honestly, and Stewart and Ross still didn't get in, I'm fairly comfortable suggesting that they aren't ready for a game like that.

I'm not sure people appreciate how hard our defense and offense are to run. We aren't running ordinary stuff these guys ran in HS. Our whole rough stretch last year came when teams exposed our inability to cover the paint when the 5 is out. It's a lot of responsibility to know if it's your job to move off your man and cover the paint and when to move back and have somebody else take it. When Hurley suggested Castle might not start before the season, that was why. He didn't have it down. Given that Hunter shoots from outside, we know that DC/SJ would need to move out to cover him. So that defensive rotation was absolutely critical. It is less critical tonight.
Well, how about this for a 'productive' detour... What was the take of your Jayhawk brethren about the team, the game, etc.?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well, how about this for a 'productive' detour... What was the take of your Jayhawk brethren about the team, the game, etc.?
They didn't like Hurley. Admittedly, we were behind the UConn bench. They thought Newton was amazing. They were generally worried when we took a lead, because it was clear KU played a great first half and yet was only up 7. Then UConn started scoring more regularly. They were impressed at how well UConn traveled. That's pretty unusual for a visiting fanbase that isn't K-State, Missouri or Indiana.

As for the fans, they think the UConn chant is a bit repetitive and unimaginative (it is). But the fans all got along. I saw young UConn guys near me chatting with older KU fans and everybody was enjoying the moment. At the bars everybody got along. As I said before, don't judge either fanbase on the Twitter trolls who are trying to instigate. Both teams' fans are deep, real fans of the sport of college basketball. So there is a real mutual respect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They didn't like Hurley. Admittedly, we were behind the UConn bench. They thought Newton was amazing. They were generally worried when we took a lead, because it was clear KU played a great first half and yet was only up 7. Then UConn started scoring more regularly. They were impressed at how well UConn traveled. That's pretty unusual for a visiting fanbase that isn't K-State, Missouri or Indiana.

As for the fans, they think the UConn chant is a bit repetitive and unimaginative (it is). But the fans all got along. I saw young UConn guys near me chatting with older KU fans and everybody was enjoying the moment. At the bars everybody got along. As I said before, don't judge either fanbase on the Twitter trolls who are trying to instigate. Both teams' fans are deep, real fans of the sport of college basketball. So there is a real mutual respect.
For what it's worth, I was amazed at how well Indiana traveled to MSG and told them so. I had quite a few conversations with their fans and they struck me the same way, friendly and generally knowledgeable about the game.

I love the UCONN chant. There's nothing better after an opposing team is forced to take a time out then listening to that deafening chant across arena. The UConn/Husky/woof chant gets overused sometimes. I agree with @8893 that it's best use is before or after the game, particularly entering or exiting an arena.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom