Kansas Post Game Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Kansas Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
We could have learned those lessons winning the game as well. We had a chance at the end but that also took a heroic performance from Newton as well as a bunch of buzzer beaters to get there. Some people seem to be making the argument that you learn more from losing and I don’t buy that.
Ok sure other than the resonance of lessons from a loss I agree the team could possibly have taken the exact same lessons if say Cam's shot banked in from 3 (need to add the bank b/c then its luck vs thinking they got the 'best' shot which they clearly did not). But I provided the specific example & reasoning for why losing can help one learn. What's the reasoning for not buying it?

Certainly for life in general there is a benefit from trial and error. And for rooting for teams I try to look on the bright side. Others choose not to which is fine, possible quibble that is NOT fine is if that comes with a need to crap on those that look for positives.

There is at minimum an argument that losses will help, whether that comes to fruition is TBD and team specific. Various undefeated teams losing in championship games in recent years is a valid data point for the benefits of a loss - though that's kind of a different (pressure of being undefeated) debate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not going to ruin this thread over it. But yeah it’s bizarre to me how we can’t find better ways to utilize some of these talented young guys we have.

Especially those two who are at a position of need.
I’ve always been an advocate for experimenting and exploring the young pups early and as often as possible in the beginning of the season because you never know how it can blossom. Sometimes and often nothing comes of it, but sometimes it does and when it does it’s amazing to see.

I was a huge advocate for Bouk when he wasn’t getting burn early his freshman year, and many on here scolded me for it, until they didn’t and then told me they agreed all along.

Same thing with Kemba, many here don’t remember but he often played out of control and made a lot of turnovers and many here wanted to limit his PT but i was always wanting to see him play more and play through his mistakes. The Dyson injury saw that he got more minutes anyway.

Calhoun would often explore more than Hurley with his freshman, even to his detriment, playing guys that found out they just couldn’t compete at this level but at least it was clear because he tried it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You realize we were down Castle, Spencer was playing on a bad wheel, the game was at Kansas and they shot 64% from three to our 39%?

Everything favored Kansas in that game and we still had a clean look for the win. Anyone paying attention can tell who is the better team with more upside if both are healthy.

Unless you’re Goodman or Davis then you just look at the box score

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’ve always been an advocate for experimenting and exploring the young pups early and as often as possible in the beginning of the season because you never know how it can blossom. Sometimes and often nothing comes of it, but sometimes it does and when it does it’s amazing to see.

I was a huge advocate for Bouk when he wasn’t getting burn early his freshman year, and many on here scolded me for it, until they didn’t and then told me they agreed all along.

Same thing with Kemba, many here don’t remember but he often played out of control and made a lot of turnovers and many here wanted to limit his PT but i was always wanting to see him play more and play through his mistakes. The Dyson injury saw that he got more minutes anyway.

Calhoun would often explore more than Hurley with his freshman, even to his detriment, playing guys that found out they just couldn’t compete at this level but at least it was clear because he tried it.
Couldn’t agree more. Those mistakes help them learn as well compared to not knowing what you can or can’t do because you aren’t given an opportunity to.

Remember Kemba having a lot of ups and downs with the turnover issues like you said. His main thing was that he always over penetrated and it would lead him to trouble moving so fast at times.

But since he found that out his freshman year he got to spend the next two season perfecting his pull up game and pace. And that’s how we got the Kemba we saw Junior year.

Reaction Score
God make it stop. Kemba is Castle in the above stroll down memory lane. If you're saying Calhoun would have given freshmen Scottie Haralson and Chuck Okwandu big minutes at Allen Fieldhouse to see what he had this argument is getting even dumber.
They're multiplying...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
God make it stop. Kemba is Castle in the above stroll down memory lane. If you're saying Calhoun would have given freshmen Scottie Haralson and Chuck Okwandu big minutes at Allen Fieldhouse to see what he had this argument is getting even dumber.
Kemba was not a one and done freshman. Nor would he have been in todays cbb either.

Are you saying guys like Stewart and Ross will never be big time contributors with those comparisons?

Thatd be pretty absurd to write them off like that to put them alongside those guys. Even though we all love Chuck.

Reaction Score
They actually were shooting well from 3 between Dickinson, Harris and McCullar. Furphy is a good shooter too. But with Jackson and Adams, you have two non shooters in the starting lineup.
Except that Adams took his shots, and made most of them, and made his free throws too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Except that Adams took his shots, and made most of them, and made his free throws too.
Yes, and Adams was shooting over 70% from the field coming in. So that's no surprise. He just doesn't shoot 3s. He really improved his 15 foot jumper from last year.

Reaction Score
99% of the time that reach-in from behind .on the Diarra drive , is an automatic foul . They got possession when it went off his hip . That was a huge play.
As far as Karaban’s effectiveness
10-6 on a night when the shooting guard is injured 2-10 and Castle is out he was their focus and he still got 10 . Tells me he is a guy we need out there.
His foul was stupid and him not being there when we had a chance to win was huge
Clingan’s still needs to physically mature and get stronger as well as developing a little shot.
Samson also needs more dimension to truly actualize his athletic gifts .
This team is better than I thought ( now , not to be confused with potential ) and has a lot of heart .
However concerning , is the lack of confidence in the freshman as Hurley only played 7 guys even with Spencer less than 100%. . Injuries could be huge. We need another freshman to step up besides Ball .
Newton is a different type of kid who has immense talent but is not comfortable being the man.
Passing up that last shot is something that no number 1 Husky of recent memory would do
even less talented guys .
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I couldn’t visualize guys.
like Cole , Adams, RB , Bazz, Kemba , Dyson, Price , Williams , Brown , Gordon , Butler , Khalid not taking that shot
That’s why Karaban has to be the man Newton is the reluctant hero.
* Ricky would defer to Rip and KO to Ray . Although even KO went end to end to beat PC when they doubled or tripled Ray.

After last Night as critical as I seem I think this team could repeat .
Re: first sentence.
It was a blatant foul. Diarra was grabbed by the arm.

Reaction Score
Yes, and Adams was shooting over 70% from the field coming in. So that's no surprise. He just doesn't shoot 3s. He really improved his 15 foot jumper from last year.
It was the 4 extra foul shots he made over his average that got us.

Reaction Score
When you're a high major men's basketball assistant you don't have time to schedule prostate exams. Got to squeeze them in when and where you can.
Supposed to use your finger for those.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was the 4 extra foul shots he made over his average that got us.
Predictable (and predicted by me) given that Karaban was guarding him. Refs didn't decide the game. UConn missing FTs probably did.

Reaction Score
Kemba was not a one and done freshman. Nor would he have been in todays cbb either.

Are you saying guys like Stewart and Ross will never be big time contributors with those comparisons?

Thatd be pretty absurd to write them off like that to put them alongside those guys. Even though we all love Chuck.
Jaylin Stewart was an all-state player here in WA and led historic Garfield HS to a 3A state championship as a leading scorer. An accomplishment in line with other NBA players that came before him in this region.
Brandon Roy, Will Conroy, Rainier Beach and Franklin alums like Jamal Crawford, Peyton Siva, Doug Christie, Nate Robinson, Aaron Brooks and the list goes on. Jaylin Stewart is a part of that group.

So he is part of a rare list. To say he can’t compete for PT with the big boys and compare him to Chuck tells me these guys have no idea what they are talking about.

They are the types that always go with the grain in their perspective but watch, once Hurley starts giving him and Ross more PT they will be right on board and act like they always saw it that way. Happens every season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am going to bump this thread in a few weeks just like I did with Bouknight.
Everyone that laughed at me last time then got angry with me after I bumped the bouknight thread years ago

Reaction Score
Jaylin Stewart was an all-state player here in WA and led historic Garfield HS to a 3A state championship as a leading scorer. An accomplishment in line with other NBA players that came before him in this region.
Brandon Roy, Will Conroy, Rainier Beach and Franklin alums like Jamal Crawford, Peyton Siva, Doug Christie, Nate Robinson, Aaron Brooks and the list goes on. Jaylin Stewart is a part of that group.

So he is part of a rare list. To say he can’t compete for PT with the big boys and compare him to Chuck tells me these guys have no idea what they are talking about.

They are the types that always go with the grain in their perspective but watch, once Hurley starts giving him and Ross more PT they will be right on board and act like they always saw it that way. Happens every season.
Nobody is saying that, try reading the replies to your posts. You have to be intentionally missing the point. Nobody is saying Stewart and Ross can't play, or will never contribute. If you paid any attention to my posts you'd see me advocating for Stewart to be a major part of the rotation every chance I get

Reaction Score

Holy ufck. Kemba was a McDonald's All-American, just like Castle. The rest of your post is just so dumb I'm going to throw in the towel. It was dumb of me to keep this going anyway. Yes, I don't think Stewart and Ross will ever contribute because they didn't play a December game at Kansas their freshman year. That's exactly what a reasonable person would draw from my post. I can't wait until Ross is a junior and you say "see how good he is? I told you he should have played against Kansas two years ago." Which is basically the argument you made about Hawkins. Good lord.

Reaction Score
I am going to bump this thread in a few weeks just like I did with Bouknight.
Everyone that laughed at me last time then got angry with me after I bumped the bouknight thread years ago

Bump whatever you want. I would certainly hope that a freshman's playing time increases as he improves. I would say you're being intentionally obtuse but I've been here long enough to know better.

Reaction Score
Nobody is saying that, try reading the replies to your posts. You have to be intentionally missing the point. Nobody is saying Stewart and Ross can't play, or will never contribute. If you paid any attention to my posts you'd see me advocating for Stewart to be a major part of the rotation every chance I get
Ok then, so should we have tried one of them against Kansas or not? My answer is we should have tried one of them for a few minutes, more specifically in the first half. I prefer Stewart out of the two.

I will go out on a limb and say right now that Stewart should get at least 2-4 minutes against UNC regardless of circumstances. What say you?

That’s my argument and my philosophy and that’s what people here seem to be arguing against. The argument I’m seeing is that he and Ross cannot compete against a high major/elite opponent at this time. I disagree

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Holy ufck. Kemba was a McDonald's All-American, just like Castle. The rest of your post is just so dumb I'm going to throw in the towel. It was dumb of me to keep this going anyway. Yes, I don't think Stewart and Ross will ever contribute because they didn't play a December game at Kansas their freshman year. That's exactly what a reasonable person would draw from my post. I can't wait until Ross is a junior and you say "see how good he is? I told you he should have played against Kansas two years ago." Which is basically the argument you made about Hawkins. Good lord.
If you can’t see the difference between someone who was a 3 year player who needed development and a guy that is a top 10 lottery pick before he even played a game, you are really not that basketball smart.

How are you going off on me because YOU compared two promising freshman to guys who never amounted to be much here?

Guys reach so hard to unnecessarily protect Hurley and then get mad when it gets shown how stupid that reach was. It’s okay to have areas to improve. Nobody is perfect and he’s still doing a great job.

Reaction Score
Ok then, so should we have tried one of them against Kansas or not? My answer is we should have tried one of them for a few minutes, more specifically in the first half. I prefer Stewart out of the two.

I will go out on a limb and say right now that Stewart should get at least 2-4 minutes against UNC regardless of circumstances. What say you?

That’s my argument and my philosophy and that’s what people here seem to be arguing against. The argument I’m seeing is that he and Ross cannot compete against a high major/elite opponent at this time. I disagree
These highly ranked young players need some time or they end up in the transfer portal. It's all about PT for them. We must allow them to make mistakes but on a highly ranked top 10 team against big time opponents it's not easy for coaches to do it.

Reaction Score
Yeah I remember you were the only one who knew bouknight was any good
No, but half the board got on me when I suggested he should have played more minutes than he was getting early on. Just like what is happening now. God forbid you have an opinion contrary to what coach Hurley does. I’m not saying I’m an expert. I personally just think he’s too tentative when it comes to playing freshman through mistakes early in the season

Reaction Score
Bump whatever you want. I would certainly hope that a freshman's playing time increases as he improves. I would say you're being intentionally obtuse but I've been here long enough to know better.
It has less to do with improvement and more to do with opportunity, is my point. There wasn’t some drastic change in three weeks with Bouknight. He was just literally given more playing time

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And again, it’s bizarre that people say they can’t do it when we’ve see much lesser talents be able to contribute on winning teams before.

It’s almost like if they aren’t ready to produce, then it’s probably on the person who’s job it is to get them ready and set them up for success.

Also, people really don’t understand the message it sends to those guys when they don’t play in games like that at all. They now know Hurley really doesn’t trust them to even give Karaban a much needed breather for 5 mins. That can’t feel good or invoke the much needed confidence they’ll have to have to be able to contribute this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom