Kaitlyn putting in the work | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kaitlyn putting in the work

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe they meant McDonald’s All-Americans? UConn has quite a few on the roster. Not sure if Princeton had any over Chen’s time there.
Kaitlyn was McDonald’s AA Honorable Mention. Of the below list of accomplishments, I’m most impressed with the Ivy League Academics award

719E1195-B2BC-4A18-8AD7-D1E16B37E699.jpeg

Reaction Score
I want a 3-point contest with Azzi, Kaitlyn, Sarah, and Allie.
Kaitlin will make some threes, but it is far from her specialty. She is much more scorer than shooter, with a 3pt history that is nothing to get excited about. What she does far better than most is score from mid range and taking it to the hoop. She excels at making highly contested shots and creating her own shot.

Based on her numbers and level of competition, I think it is reasonable to consider her roughly equivalent to KK and Ash overall, but with the advantage of more experience. Outside of Paige and Azzi (if healthy), on the perimeter we have a ton of candidates who appear to be close in terms of ability chasing for playing time.

The downside is protected by that depth, but I hope one or two of those make a big leap and truly stand out from the rest of the pack, whoever that might be.

Reaction Score
Based on her numbers and level of competition, I think it is reasonable to consider her roughly equivalent to KK and Ash overall, but with the advantage of more experience.
I suspect experience is mainly what Geno wants from her: a steady hand. She’s not likely to make bad plays under pressure, she’ll know the value of effort and how to direct it. Plus the fact that her experience with Carla’s style of play probably means it won’t take her long to get up to speed with Geno’s.

Outside of Paige and Azzi (if healthy), on the perimeter we have a ton of candidates who appear to be close in terms of ability chasing for playing time.
The hallmark of UConn basketball is playing as a unit: getting to your spots on time, passing crisply, shooting with confidence, switching on D, reading the opponent, etc. I always assume the ones who get this soonest are the ones who play most. It was really visible early last season who among the freshmen had figured that out and who looked lost on the court. By March, KK and Ash got it, and Ice by the very end too. Q might have been beginning to get it at the end. This group plus Paige and Azzi and Jana will get the nod initially.

This is also the group Kaitlyn will be competing with for minutes. I think she’ll have succeeded before the end of December. It helps me to think about Kaitlyn’s prospects by framing them in relation to her teammates. She’ll be competing primarily with KK, but I also hope she’ll think of herself as helping KK sharpen her own shot-making in practice. This is the last remaking piece of the puzzle for KK.

I hope one or two of those make a big leap and truly stand out from the rest of the pack, whoever that might be.
Those two are Ice and Q. KK and Ash have already arrived, as far as I can tell. The rest are either already seasoned veteran or new to the system. Q looks the most interesting to me given how high the ceiling seems for her. By next March, I hope she find herself on the floor 10-12 minutes per game.

Part of Ice’s task is playing against Jana in practice, helping her sharpen low post skills and working on her own, and generally introducing her to the nuances of Geno’s high-low game. This is where Ice’s Great Leap Forward will come from. Jana is the future of the frontcourt, and in teaching it to her, Ice will solidify her own role in the present.

Kaitlyn Ice and Q are the new pieces we’ll see in November and December. They will be able to show us something new and exciting I doubt we’ll see Kaitlyn and KK on the floor together. And when we do see Kaitlyn on the floor, whenever that happens, I hope she really shines.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suspect experience is mainly what Geno wants from her: a steady hand. She’s not likely to make bad plays under pressure, she’ll know the value of effort and how to direct it. Plus the fact that her experience with Carla’s style of play probably means it won’t take her long to get up to speed with Geno’s.
So here's where I might disagree just a little bit. Watching Princeton vs WV in the first round, once they turned on the press, the whole team had issues.Chen's wasn't necessarily having problems getting the ball up the court, but rather passing it after doing so. There were moments where'd she'd run into a blitz/hard hedge and try to retreat, but instead she'd get stuck and chuck the ball at the nearest teammate, and it would be turned over. Keep in mind the WV press is cupcakes compared to the OSU one we faced.

Now this could be attributed to her teammates not knowing where to position themselves against a press, because the whole team looked lost in those moments. But Chen's decision-making was harshly impacted by panic in the WV press. This is something she'll probably be working on at UCONN I'd imagine, if Geno wants her and KK to be the main ball handlers.

Reaction Score
So here's where I might disagree just a little bit. Watching Princeton vs WV in the first round, once they turned on the press, the whole team had issues.Chen's wasn't necessarily having problems getting the ball up the court, but rather passing it after doing so. There were moments where'd she'd run into a blitz/hard hedge and try to retreat, but instead she'd get stuck and chuck the ball at the nearest teammate, and it would be turned over. Keep in mind the WV press is cupcakes compared to the OSU one we faced.

Now this could be attributed to her teammates not knowing where to position themselves against a press, because the whole team looked lost in those moments. But Chen's decision-making was harshly impacted by panic in the WV press. This is something she'll probably be working on at UCONN I'd imagine, if Geno wants her and KK to be the main ball handlers.
You make a good point, both that Kaitlyn looked unprepared for the press and that her teammates may not have given her good options. Pressing teams are sometimes quite vulnerable to being pressed. I haven't rewatched that game carefully. I'll probably look for it later today.

The debacle we faced against tOSU two years ago was a similar problem. The team clearly wasn't ready for that press. It wasn't just Nika or Azzi, who definitely made some mistakes, but the whole team. And it wasn't only steals that got us. It was unforced turnovers too, and missed opportunities and failing to convert once the press had been broken. The team wasn't prepared to have an opponent dictate their own tempo. We did also lack ball handlers beyond Nika and Azzi. Yes, Lou and Aaliyah are capable ball handlers in a pinch, but not when faced with a team that's made a living all season with a press. I suspect Geno's preparation for this season was partly shaped by that experience.

Reaction Score
You make a good point, both that Kaitlyn looked unprepared for the press and that her teammates may not have given her good options. Pressing teams are sometimes quite vulnerable to being pressed. I haven't rewatched that game carefully. I'll probably look for it later today.

The debacle we faced against tOSU two years ago was a similar problem. The team clearly wasn't ready for that press. It wasn't just Nika or Azzi, who definitely made some mistakes, but the whole team. And it wasn't only steals that got us. It was unforced turnovers too, and missed opportunities and failing to convert once the press had been broken. The team wasn't prepared to have an opponent dictate their own tempo. We did also lack ball handlers beyond Nika and Azzi. Yes, Lou and Aaliyah are capable ball handlers in a pinch, but not when faced with a team that's made a living all season with a press. I suspect Geno's preparation for this season was partly shaped by that experience.
WVU basically whipped it out of nowhere lol. You could already tell the Princeton team was screwed. The Ivy League don't press (and if they do, it's not a very tight one) and the team probably never faced a C-B tier level press like that before. I think Chen might have been able to do better had they had some preparation, or her teammates knew where to move. We'll see how it works at UCONN, but so far, they don't have any pressing teams on their schedule.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I want a 3-point contest with Azzi, Kaitlyn, Sarah, and Allie.
Hmmm...would the coaches have a communication problem if Azzi and Allie (possible nickname AZ) were both in the game at the same time?
Yeah I know it's crazy but " In the off-season an idle mind is a nursery for crazy and or Obtuse thoughts".....my bad

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Hmmm...would the coaches have a communication problem if Azzi and Allie (possible nickname AZ) were both in the game at the same time?
Yeah I know it's crazy but " In the off-season an idle mind is a nursery for crazy and or Obtuse thoughts".....my bad
Sharp response...a cute one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does she have any elevation? I haven't seen any play beyond 6 second snippets. That big still isn't a jump shot. She's 2 inches off the deck.

Reaction Score
Does she have any elevation? I haven't seen any play beyond 6 second snippets. That big still isn't a jump shot. She's 2 inches off the deck.
I know what you mean. I like that her release point is above her head. But you can't tell how it's related to her jump. Is she jumping to get more force behind it or is her wrist strength enough to shoot without an assist from her legs.

Here's a link to the complete game Princeton played against WVa. The camera angle isn't the best for analyzing her shooting motion, but it's better than nothing. There's a good example of her perimeter shooting form at the 15:55 mark

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Depends on whn the still was taken..I'm thkn tht since the ball is still in both hands she hasn't reached the apex of her shot, if I were to nick pick I'd say her elbow's sticking outward instead of under the ball and pointing at the basket, (look at some Azzi highlights) but if it works for her who I'm I to complain it's the result tht matters to me.

Reaction Score
You can also get a look at her midrange shooting form at the 19:55 mark of the WVa game linked above. Plus you can contrast it with JJ Quinerly's shooting form at the 22:30 mark. They are similar players, though Quinerly seems to have a quicker first step as a better stop-n-pop midrange shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom