2020 Recruiting: - Kadary Richmond reopens recruitment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Kadary Richmond reopens recruitment

Reaction Score
Doesn't this just mean he is going to open his recruitment to more than the 4 schools he previously mentioned? How is this good for UConn? If UConn gets Jackson(which we all think is happening) and Cardwell, then I think you have to keep a scholly open for either Cliff or Cam in the Spring.

Reaction Score
Doesn't this just mean he is going to open his recruitment to more than the 4 schools he previously mentioned? How is this good for UConn?
Look at the dates of the post. The latest post has jerry Meyer giving the good guys a crystal ball pick

Reaction Score
Doesn't this just mean he is going to open his recruitment to more than the 4 schools he previously mentioned? How is this good for UConn? If UConn gets Jackson(which we all think is happening) and Cardwell, then I think you have to keep a scholly open for either Cliff or Cam in the Spring.

I love Thomas, but the difference between him and Richmond isn't big enough to pass on a willing Richmond because Thomas might pick you in the spring.

That being said, I don't know what Meyer heard here. Unless something changed very recently, my understanding was that our chance with Richmond had likely passed. If the staff has turned that around, I'll be thrilled, but let's see.

Reaction Score
I love Thomas, but the difference between him and Richmond isn't big enough to pass on a willing Richmond because Thomas might pick you in the spring.

That being said, I don't know what Meyer heard here. Unless something changed very recently, my understanding was that our chance with Richmond had likely passed. If the staff has turned that around, I'll be thrilled, but let's see.

I would usually agree with you and take the bird in the hand, but Omoruyi and Thomas are both just too good to not buy a lottery ticket for.

Reaction Score
I have no info on when Cam wants to commit. He doesn’t seem eager tho. If Kadary wants to commit you have to pull the trigger
Personally I would rather we just have this mindset with Cardwell vs. Cliff just because we do already have the makings of an adequately deep backcourt despite the likely departure of AG. With Bouk, Gaffney, RJ, and Brendan I'd be able to swallow a miss on a guard. Plus with Andre all but certain we probably won't be playing tons of three guard lineups after this season. We absolutely need need need more quality bigs, so give me the first to commit there.

Reaction Score
Look at the dates of the post. The latest post has jerry Meyer giving the good guys a crystal ball pick

I understand that, it's just odd that a mere 3 weeks ago he re-opened his recruitment to include schools outside of his final four and now UConn gets a crystal ball pick.

Reaction Score
I would usually agree with you and take the bird in the hand, but Omoruyi and Thomas are both just too good to not buy a lottery ticket for.
Agreed. Thomas seems to be a program changing scoring guard. The staff knows best, but personally I don't know why everyone is so pessimistic about Thomas, we seem to be in a fine spot for him right now. Won't be easy but I don't hate our chances

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If Cardwell wants to come, you take him in an instant. Can't wait on Cliff. Not having a quality big would be catastrophic for our pipeline down low.

It's not like Cliff is a 1 and done center or anything.

Reaction Score
FWIW - Cam Thomas got another CB for LSU. It’s trending in the wrong direction for the Good Guys, and possible Hurley sees that and putting a full court press on Kadary. We still have Cams OV coming up but Kadary seems like an easier get at this point.
A3304599-236A-495F-981A-9B034F9951DA.jpeg

Reaction Score
If Cardwell wants to come, you take him in an instant. Can't wait on Cliff. Not having a quality big would be catastrophic for our pipeline down low.

It's not like Cliff is a 1 and done center or anything.

I agree, I was referring to taking Richmond for the 3rd scholly.(assuming Jackson and Cardwell commit). If you get Jackson and Cardwell it allows you the luxury of waiting until Spring on Thomas or Cliff.

C

Chief00

I agree, I was referring to taking Richmond for the 3rd scholly.(assuming Jackson and Cardwell commit). If you get Jackson and Cardwell it allows you the luxury of waiting until Spring on Thomas or Cliff.
Expect 4 ships to sail into port this recruiting season and Chief is probably ahead of the staff in his thinking. They would probably say 3. Any of the guys mentioned in these posts you take.

One difference Chief has detected between Hurley and Calhoun, is Jim would do that naturally and without hesitation. Hurley still has some HS instincts and loyalty to kids in the program regardless of talent. My thinking is he eventually gets to the right place by doing it his way, as he did with Diarra. But, with Danny it’s a thoughtful and fair process and to Jim it was an instant screw it we will do that and figure things out including hurt feelings later.

Danny still needs to get comfortable with having more guys than you have roster spots, if you have an opportunity for a talent upgrade. . He really did not have to deal with that issue at Wagner or URI. But, it is how he needs to manage things at UConn.

Chief is not saying one method is right or wrong - just a different process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I understand those who say they think Cam or Cliff are worth waiting for, but we should also consider the possibility that the staff knows their standing with recruits better than we do. If we're going to take Richmond and not wait on Cam, the staff probably knows we're not Cam's top choice.

Given the talent that should returning from this year to next year, a class of Jackson, Richmond, and Cardwell would fill several needs and keep our overall talent level trending in the right direction. We might have to win again to land top-25 recruits.

Reaction Score
Let’s not get it confused, cam is a great scorer. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him average over 18ppg as a freshman.

Richmond is very good and also has such a unique, intriguing, entertaining game and style he plays with. I would love either.

Reaction Score
I’ll be overjoyed for Andre Richmond and Cardwell. I think we’d need to prove as a tournament team before we attract the likes of Cliff and Cam

There is no doubt that winning in March is the key to future recruiting for Hurley and UConn. If the Huskies can manage to get into the tournament and win a game or two, I think it will really help sell the bright future of UConn basketball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My absolute dream choice was Cam and Jackson plus any of the bigs on the list.

My logical choice was not to worry about dream choices and take players from the targets we focused that fill needs.

Reaction Score
When Hurley visited Richmond at Brewster a couple of days before Jackson's official visit, I made a post suggesting Hurley was giving Richmond soft pressure and the chance to commit before Jackson took his spot.
Maybe Hurley felt strong about a Jackson commitment and wanted to make sure Richmond was clear that we would take both, and how both would fit in his system. I hadn't considered that. My bad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Personally I would rather we just have this mindset with Cardwell vs. Cliff just because we do already have the makings of an adequately deep backcourt despite the likely departure of AG. With Bouk, Gaffney, RJ, and Brendan I'd be able to swallow a miss on a guard. Plus with Andre all but certain we probably won't be playing tons of three guard lineups after this season. We absolutely need need need more quality bigs, so give me the first to commit there.

Agree completely. First center to commit we take. If Cliff is waiting until spring and Cardwell would come now, we move on from Cliff. He's not Andre Drummond or Pat Ewing. I don't think we will really be playing 3 guard lineups even this year, except Bouk and Adams on occasion. I think we are doing playing three guys under 6'5".
With Cam, I'd be willing to wait. Our need positions are SF and Center. Anything else is gravy (or icing if you prefer). So that third spot is best talent available. If we lose Cam and and get a grad transfer, that's fine too. If @Chief00 is right and we are looking at 4, then certainly you can take Richmond and park the 4th slot for Cam.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
FWIW - Cam Thomas got another CB for LSU. It’s trending in the wrong direction for the Good Guys, and possible Hurley sees that and putting a full court press on Kadary. We still have Cams OV coming up but Kadary seems like an easier get at this point. View attachment 46815
And when he comes to UConn on his OV and has a good time a bunch of these will flip to us and we'll feel confident when in reality they mean next to nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom