K State beats Iowa | Page 3 | The Boneyard

K State beats Iowa

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I always find these Paige vs Caitlin debates silly. They play on two completely different teams and have two completely different roles. Look at the supporting cast on each team, it's no surprise why a player would be less efficient with that Iowa roster than the UConn's.
I recently addressed this false narrative elsewhere, but worth doing repeatedly. One can fall short of being an elite talent, yet still be an elite shooter. A team as a whole can have the skills to be good offensively but not defensively. Clark was not playing with a bunch of poor, inefficient scrubs as teammates.

The freshman Bueckers had a higher shooting percentage than the UConn team as a whole and much higher than all the other guards. She also played with a changing line up as a first year player during a turbulent covid year, which contributes to reducing the efficiency of an offense.

In contrast, the junior Clark had a lower shooting percentage than the Iowa team as a whole. Several individuals shot a higher percentage, including other starters.. One reason is that, unlike UConn, that starting line up played together for three years, which of course will increase efficiency. Another reason is that they were good shooters, whatever effect their shortcomings may have manifested on the defensive end. Three players had a shooting percentage of 60% or above.

So if you are talking about assists, Clark had a better roster to work with for converting a pass into a score. If you are talking about the efficiency of shooting, Clark was less efficient than those inefficient scrubs she had as three year teammates. In either case, it was a better supporting offense for the junior Clark than what Bueckers had as a freshman.

Yes, they played different roles for different types of teams. If we assumed their roles to be the same, then Bueckers should have shot more to compensate for her less efficient teammates, while Clark should have shot less in comparison to her high percentage teammates. As it was, they both likely played the roles expected of them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I remember Geno stating a couple of years ago that Jeff Mittie is a great coach and he was happy that they played a home and home against them. He has been a Div 1 head coach since 1999 and has only had 2 losing seasons. There are not too many head coaches out there that can say that, let alone beat it like Geno does.
Vivian Stringer also talked about Mittie back when he was at TCU and Rutgers faced them in the NCAA tournament. She said there was something about his gameplans that made him particularly difficult to play - but I have no idea what it was, if she said (and I think she did) it was coach-talk in a Vivian run-on sentence, so I didn't understand. But definitely a compliment from her.

Reaction Score
If Paige doesn't stop getting into wrestling matches over loose balls & such, she won't be playing the whole season to be able to be compared against Clark.
Paige needs to play smarter to avoid the risk of unnecessary injury due to initiating wreckless plays.
She needs to keep playing just like she is playing. Players absolutely can't play like they are afraid of getting hurt and I applaud how Paige is playing. I see a lot of players who come back from injury and do nothing close to their potential because of fear. The thing that makes Paige special is her ability to score in so many ways.

Reaction Score
How many guards really shoot 50+% from the floor though? I know Bueckers has done it and IMO that’s one of the statistics that makes her unique.
The biggest difference to me is Paige doesn't take bad shots and CC takes a bunch of them. CC is an amazing player but on a team I would take Paige and in a game of horse I would take CC. She has insane range but there is no reason to be shooting 45 foot shots in any situation short of a desperation shot at the end of the quarter.

sun

Reaction Score
She needs to keep playing just like she is playing. Players absolutely can't play like they are afraid of getting hurt and I applaud how Paige is playing. I see a lot of players who come back from injury and do nothing close to their potential because of fear. The thing that makes Paige special is her ability to score in so many ways.
It's not about fear but about playing smart & according to the rules of good sportsmanship.
It hurts the team to commit an intentional foul like Paige did because it can reward the opponent with points.
It also leads to a warning & her possible ejection later in the game which could also hurt the team.

sun

Reaction Score
Correction. AFAIK an intentional foul doesn't result in a warning of ejection.
But one source says that an intentional foul is classified as a technical foul & the opponent is awarded both foul shots & possession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom