Just Trying To Figure This Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just Trying To Figure This Out

Reaction Score
That or word has got out that Ollie can't coach. Not saying that's the case, but it's a plausible explanation.
KO's problem is he tries to coach college kids like they're NBA players. In that sense he cannot coach college kids or recruit as a college coach. If he goes back to the NBA, and I think there is a very good chance that might happen, he will be much more successful.

Reaction Score
I don't think these schools have accomplished anything more than UConn has over the last few years. They certainly haven't recruited better. UConn was bad this year. But for the prior 3 years, it had the better resume than these schools. Heck, none of these schools have advanced beyond the first weekend, and teams like SMU and Houston have been left out of the tourney in recent years because of their very weak OOC schedule. I'd say at this point that UConn fears becoming SMU or Houston, teams that don't land top talent, play weak schedules, don't advance. Cincy is a different story because they have been doing OK in recruiting and winning many games, but still not advancing in the tourney.

It's funny these same people who tell us how good SMU and Cincy are despite the league blah blah blah are the same one's who say last year, getting to the NCAA tourney after winning the conf tourney, was still short of what UConn and KO should achieve. A win over Colorado and then a loss to KU was a crappy year to these people. These are the same people saying "look he hasn't done anything in 3 years" yet if Cincy or SMU lose in the 1st or 2nd round it's "look nothing is affecting them"? You people are a joke, or get off the pot. Can't have it both ways, sick of hearing this BS.

Reaction Score
KO's problem is he tries to coach college kids like they're NBA players. In that sense he cannot coach college kids or recruit as a college coach. If he goes back to the NBA, and I think there is a very good chance that might happen, he will be much more successful.

I'm fine with him here, I have faith screw the NBA he's ours, this staff is ours and they will turn this things around.

Reaction Score
I have seen nothing over the past three seasons that gives me any cause for optimism. And Chillious was the Associate Head Coach on a team that didn't win a game after January 18th, that's 13 straight losses to end the season. We need higher basketball IQ all the way around. How many times do we have to fall behind by double digits to mediocre opponents before some of you guys realize this isn't working? The program has become irrelevant on the national stage and in my opinion won't be returning under its present leadership, ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
VJ: KO wanted him to play stretch 4 and his dad wanted him to play as a 3

MAL: was promised minutes but JA is coming back for year 3 and CV emerged as a legit back court option

Enoch: was always a reach to perform at this level

These guys are not a reflection of what his happening now, per se, but are a reflection of a flawed recruiting process. These guys were not vetted properly. One came with expectations of how he was going to be used and has a meddling father. You should never promise minutes to a guy that isn't a sure bet to force himself into your starting five. Enoch should be playing in Bridgeport for the Stags.

Sure there are other factors, chiefly that the AAC is not the old Big East and we can't offer yearly games in the Mecca. That just means the staff needs to be more proactive and more discerning when profiling kids.
I love it when I see couch potato posters try to do damage control by trashing really good and talented players who transferred. Wake up people and tell the truth man. Both Enoch and Jackson were 4 star recruits with offers from many major programs. I can't wait for the next spin when the next shoe drops.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I love it when I see couch potato posters try to do damage control by trashing really good and talented players who transferred. Wake up people and tell the truth man. Both Enoch and Jackson were 4 star recruits with offers from many major programs. I can't wait for the next spin when the next show drops.
He didn't trash Vance or MAL. He trashed Enoch. Vance and mal are very good players

Reaction Score
He didn't trash Vance or MAL. He trashed Enoch. Vance and mal are very good players
Enoch had offers from Providence, Oregon, Arizona State, USC, and others. Were they and UCONN all wrong about Enoch? Highly unlikely. He was a smart kid too, was an excellent student. That's what bothers me the most.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People are wrong on recruits all the time.
With enoch it was all about potential..........anyone who saw him play pre uconn knew he was very young and raw.......i thought he'd do well by the end of his soph year.......i saw him more as a 4 before he got here.....he does have a pretty goof shot fron three, which he used to practice all the time.....and he can move very fluidly with the ball

Reaction Score
If he isn't already doing it, KO better be back in the homes of the remaining recruits, and ensure they understand what is going on in his words. The failure to do so, puts the program in peril, and risks further fallout. It has to be done in person not on the phone, he has to get the pulse of these kids. By the same token, he needs to call a team meeting, and after meet with all the kids individually. Maybe he is or has already done this, but if he hasn't...huge mistake. There does need to be a public statement by a joint presser of Benedict and Ollie, to address the issue, on the behalf of alum, recruits in the pipeline, and future recruits. Failure to do so is risky business. This isn't the end of the world, but please stop the bleeding, or you may bleed out! The more that leave, the more doubt is cast into the remaining players and recruits, even some that previously had no doubt. If your a kid in the program, coming into the program, or potentially coming into the program, you need some heavy reassurance right now.

Reaction Score
I love it when I see couch potato posters try to do damage control by trashing really good and talented players who transferred. Wake up people and tell the truth man. Both Enoch and Jackson were 4 star recruits with offers from many major programs. I can't wait for the next spin when the next shoe drops.

Wait we have to wake up you're hilarious. You wake up, it's UConn it's a rough time none of us are happy so either stay on or crap all over the program like you are.

They left because their dads said they need more playing time, need to develop. Neither of these kids bought into defense and both of their fathers think they are better than what they actually are. Are we supposed to lie and say "damn we are going to suck for 4 years now that they left"? You wake up, we didn't lose instead it now gives the staff options to being in better players than they have been, positive move forward.

Go with them if you like these 4*'s that much no one will care!

Reaction Score
If he isn't already doing it, KO better be back in the homes of the remaining recruits, and ensure they understand what is going on in his words. The failure to do so, puts the program in peril, and risks further fallout. It has to be done in person not on the phone, he has to get the pulse of these kids. By the same token, he needs to call a team meeting, and after meet with all the kids individually. Maybe he is or has already done this, but if he hasn't...huge mistake. There does need to be a public statement by a joint presser of Benedict and Ollie, to address the issue, on the behalf of alum, recruits in the pipeline, and future recruits. Failure to do so is risky business. This isn't the end of the world, but please stop the bleeding, or you may bleed out! The more that leave, the more doubt is cast into the remaining players and recruits, even some that previously had no doubt. If your a kid in the program, coming into the program, or potentially coming into the program, you need some heavy reassurance right now.
Agree with you but unfortunately I think the tact being taken is to pretend there are no problems with this team, just injuries. Enoch sucks, and VJ senior is a meddling parent who doesn't have a clue is the party line right now.

Reaction Score

I somewhat agree but I think it is more than style. I think KO would make an incredible NBA assistant coach. Maybe the best. I think KO was also a great college assistant. I will fully admit that I have had doubts about his ability to be a good head coach from the very beginning. Then 2014 happened and I though I was wrong. As time goes by, and the program continues to look like a bit of a train wreck, the doubts creep back in. Maybe it really was Calhoun's players. Maybe Ollie can recruit but picks the wrong kids. Maybe he is a great motivator of talent but not a great developer of talent. I have no problem going back to believing I was wrong but the alarms are blaring and KO needs to turn this around NOW. Not 3 years from now. Not 2 years from now. NOW! No more excuses.

Reaction Score
I somewhat agree but I think it is more than style. I think KO would make an incredible NBA assistant coach. Maybe the best. I think KO was also a great college assistant. I will fully admit that I have had doubts about his ability to be a good head coach from the very beginning. Then 2014 happened and I though I was wrong. As time goes by, and the program continues to look like a bit of a train wreck, the doubts creep back in. Maybe it really was Calhoun's players. Maybe Ollie can recruit but picks the wrong kids. Maybe he is a great motivator of talent but not a great developer of talent. I have no problem going back to believing I was wrong but the alarms are blaring and KO needs to turn this around NOW. Not 3 years from now. Not 2 years from now. NOW! No more excuses.
Don't forget, in 2014 he had at least one NBA caliber player on his team already.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, in 2014 he had at least one NBA caliber player on his team already.

A player who played with him and developed the previous year, a player who under Calhoun was roundly criticized on this board for a poor Soph season. Most people on this board would have laughed at the idea that Shabazz Napier would develop into a high caliber player under Ollie the next two years. Maybe one person made such a statement. He was ridiculed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
you are clueless

Reaction Score
All the apologists are attacking all of the guys who see things for what they really are. Over the past 3 seasons, I see a program that demonstrates low basketball IQ, poor ball movement, falling behind by double digits to the types of teams we used to blow out, almost never being ranked, virtually no postseason success, never challenging for the AAC regular season title, poor use of available scholarships, numerous transfers and de-commits, and a coach who often looks absolutely dismayed during games.

If it was just this past season, it wouldn't be a big deal. Unfortunately, its a 3 year trend.

Reaction Score
A player who played with him and developed the previous year, a player who under Calhoun was roundly criticized on this board for a poor Soph season. Most people on this board would have laughed at the idea that Shabazz Napier would develop into a high caliber player under Ollie the next two years. Maybe one person made such a statement. He was ridiculed.
I loved him from the first game I saw him early in his freshman year pick the pockets of opposing so called star point guards in the back court. Knew then he was special, didn't know how special, but as things turned out, very special.

Reaction Score
All the apologists are attacking all of the guys who see things for what they really are. Over the past 3 seasons, I see a program that demonstrates low basketball IQ, poor ball movement, falling behind by double digits to the types of teams we used to blow out, almost never being ranked, virtually no postseason success, never challenging for the AAC regular season title, poor use of available scholarships, numerous transfers and de-commits, and a coach who often looks absolutely dismayed during games.

If it was just this past season, it wouldn't be a big deal. Unfortunately, its a 3 year trend.
Yeah, but...but...but... what about all the injuries????

but... but... but....He recruited the nations 3rd ranked freshman class.

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem to be hurting schools like Cincy, SMU and Houston. I hate people using this excuse for how bad things have gotten.
What a low ceiling. What have Cincy, SMU, or Houston ever done of note in NCAA hoops? Is that our ceiling - a decent record, a 6 seed, losing in the first weekend of the tournament?

The AAC is a metal collar around all of our necks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom