Just got back from the game, my initial reactions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just got back from the game, my initial reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually kind of agree with him. Brimah may have improved a little, but DHam was mostly the same.

Not sure about that. AB did nothing different at all while DHam got to the hole, threw some very nice passes and as per usual rebounded the basketball. He did miss a couple easy finishes but was mostly good. They both may end up staying and not being ready but way too early to assume that.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Tampa is a Division II team and even if they were the best DII team out there, a top level DI team should be able to cream them and that's not really what happened here IMO.

Where have you been? For years very good UConn teams have struggled in exhibition games, especially the first one. Many have struggled against UNH, Maine and others alike ear;y regular season and still gone deep in tourneys. To even be forecasting the season after today is ridiculous.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know. Tampa is a Division II team and even if they were the best DII team out there, a top level DI team should be able to cream them and that's not really what happened here IMO.
Add the 8-10 pts we left at the line and bring their 3 pt shooting down to earth (they hit several contested shots) and it looks like a creaming. We also played our back 6 heavy minutes.

Reaction Score
I agree entirely with this analysis. Although I thought Nolan looked good on that jump stop slam in the second half, not sure he was making that play in years past. DHam looked hesitant to take the 3 in the first half but I was ok with that seeing as it was an exhibition, getting to the rack was priority 1. Purvis showed spurts late in the 2nd half IMO and Brimah seemed to take a backseat to Miller. Miller was very impressive, muscling through contact on his way to several and-ones...most of which he missed the back end on. Agree than Jalen seemed slightly out of control but showed great end-to-end speed on a rebound and lay-up at the other end. I was very happy with what I saw for the most part. Obviously this was an exhibition and there is room to grow. On Tampa's side their guard Bacon hit some impressive 3's and seemed to be encouraged by the crowd getting on him. He may have blown them a kiss at one point. All in all, very encouraging!

I agree with you that Phil was moving around better than I ever saw him. But I wonder if it's because he had more space against that small team.

Reaction Score
Where have you been? For years very good UConn teams have struggled in exhibition games, especially the first one. Many have struggled against UNH, Maine and others alike ear;y regular season and still gone deep in tourneys. To even be forecasting the season after today is ridiculous.
Not really forecasting the season, but we still have a lot of work to do. I definitely think we'll be better than last year. We have more talent. I really liked the potential that some of the players showed.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Not really forecasting the season, but we still have a lot of work to do. I definitely think we'll be better than last year. We have more talent. I really liked the potential that some of the players showed.
For sure, you never look at these games as a barometer of where we're at, it's much more an exercise of looking at our potential ceiling and that is sky high in my opinion after seeing Adams miller and Gibbs for the first time.

Reaction Score
I'd also like to add that the team chemistry has seemed to improve. I think that will help Purvis' game. Once the energy gets going, Purvis comes in and flourishes. So, it'll be important to to have 2 or 3 players that can create that and then Purvis can help continue it. I think Adams will be one of the players to bring the energy.

Reaction Score
This was a practice game with new practice players. Can't see how any conclusions can be made, however observations are valid.

Its the first practice game . . . . . . . . . . . . just saying.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's a freak'n exhibition
Calm down

Reaction Score
I agree with you that Phil was moving around better than I ever saw him. But I wonder if it's because he had more space against that small team.
13 of 24 from the line will lose you a lot of games. They know that and will work on it.

Reaction Score
This game means as close to nothing as we`ll ever get. Ill take nothing from this game other than it just being nice to see the ol`boys again and the new guys for the first time. This team will be better Dec 1st than they are on Nov 1st and better Jan 1st than they are Dec 1st and so on.

Reaction Score
Loved Miller. He will thrive on this team with the other offensive option we have. Once the chemistry kicks in I think we will have a wealth of scoring threats. Gibbs, Purvis, Adams and DHam can all knock 3s down. Omar can too.

Enoch looked like a freshman in his first game. It'll take him a while to get comfortable. But he runs the court well and has size and athleticism. I love that we can ease him in with behind Brimah, Miller and Nolan.

Jalen Adams is going to be every bit as good as we have heard. Wait until he is acclimated to the speed and physicality of the college game.

I did NOT like Brimah getting pushed around under the basket. On 3 occasions he was in prime rebounding position and the ball came his way. He was shoved right out of there and Tampa got the ball. Should have been a rebound and dunk/layup each time for him.

Some of you who are making definitive statements about players and the team after ONE freaking exhibition game need to chill. We have seen experienced and talented teams struggle in the early season over the years. Thank goodness college hoop season is back. I am already looking forward to Uconn hoops on Saturday followed by Uconn football on TV. Love this time of year.

Reaction Score
A lot of short sighted analysis here. First, Miller is going to be an obvious impact player and exceeded my expectations, which were high to begin with. Second, we have enormous depth and scoring will be shared greatly, which is much better than relying on single player (a la Boat) carrying the scoring load. I personally liked what I saw from Rodney, as he seemed like he picked up where he left off but also knew there would be more than him and boat to get points on the board. No, he didn't score 30pts, nor should he when sharing the floor with other great guards who are all contributing in equal fashion. DHam played well and got tons of boards. Also, it's obvious we have a serious star in Adams. Calhoun also looked good, and used his minutes off the bench efficiently. Yeah there was a couple errant airball's, but he still went something like 3 for 5 with some boards. Super stoked to see that. However the biggest take away here should be, to not form any major conclusions over an exhibition game, and the first one at that. The guys are still developing chemistry, the freshman feeling their way, Ollie experimenting with different lineups, etc. But, my feelings are the same as before tip off, which is this is a solid top top 15 team, with depth that can go deep in March if the chemistry comes together.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Anywhere to find a Box Score for the game?
Here you go...
PTS REB AST PF
ADAMS, Jalen
14 6 3 1
AMILO, Nnamdi
1 1 0 0
ENOCH, Steven
0 2 0 3
FOXEN, Christian
0 0 0 0
NOYES, Mike
0 0 0 1
MILLER, Shonn
18 6 0 2
PURVIS, Rodney
14 4 1 3
CALHOUN, Omar
11 4 2 2
HAMILTON, Daniel
10 8 2 3
GIBBS, Sterling
8 1 5 3
BRIMAH, Amida
6 3 0 3
NOLAN, Phillip
4 3 0 3
CASSELL JR., Sam
2 0 1 2
FACEY, Kentan
0 4 0 0

TOTAL
Points 88
Field Goals 33-68, 48.5%
Free Throws 13-24, 54.2%
3-Pointers 9-20, 45.0%
Off. Rebounds 14
Def. Rebounds 32
Total Rebounds 46
Assists 14
Blocks 9
P. Fouls 26
T. Fouls 0
Turnovers 12

Reaction Score
I take it Miller was the sherpa for this game?

Will we have mojo sherpas this season?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Again, it's been one exhibition game. There's just not enough of a sample to make declarative statements like that.
Agreed. We barely beat SCSU last season.

Reaction Score
I streamed the game on Husky vision or whatever and agree with a lot of the observations in this thread. Miller looked awesome. He was active on defense and on offense without the ball. He is a stud. He is bigger and faster than I thought. Adams looks like he could be a star. Nice shooting stroke. Gibbs wasn't as electric as I thought he would be but had 5 assists so happy with that and he looked like he was searching a little bit so he will play better. Loved what I saw overall from Calhoun I'd like to see KO run some screens for him. I was hoping Facey would do more with his minutes. Brimah, meh. He blocked some shots though and altered others. Purvis looked good driving to the hoop. Would love to see more of that. My biggest takeaway was that KO pressed most of the game. Mostly soft but it was interesting. Not sure if he was just trying it out or wants to play that way. Free throw shooting was awful. Hopefully that will improve.
It seemed to me our perimeter defense wasn't as good as usual but interior defense looked better. Nice tune up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom