Just got back from the game, my initial reactions | The Boneyard

Just got back from the game, my initial reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
For those who couldn't catch the action:

Miller is the obvious place to start. His nose for the ball was on full display, but most importantly the spacing he afforded us by being a threat on that 12-15 foot baseline jumper was clearly something that we're building into our gameplan. He's another dump off option for us when we beat the perimeter defense to the 2nd level and with his hands and power finishes he'll be on the receiving end of a lot of them. After watching him today I really see him playing around the rim a lot more than on the perimeter. His Bball IQ is off the charts. One example was the one handed touch pass that he used in the corner which got the ball right back to gibbs and prevented the double team before it could materialize. It gave Gibbs just enough of an advantage to beat his man back towards the center of the court. The other was his low post back down where he froze his defender towards the center of the court then created space with a quick step back and put the ball soft and high off the glass. That was next level stuff. Forget about the one handed man rebound put back and 1. We're going to love watching this guy ball all year. I wish we had more than just 1 with him.

Jalen reminded me of young bazz today in that he is so talented he made incredible plays with his court vision but sometimes took an ill advised risk (as you would expect from a freshman don't kill me for saying that). What a talent though. Really dangerous in the open floor. Even with the mistakes he had a poise about him. Knocked down his open shots and brought energy to the floor. He's going to be a contributor from go.

Rodney 2.0 is fully upgraded. After a full year in KO's offense the ball no longer sticks at all with Rodney. Right off the catch he is cutting and attacking the rim and in doing so finding others and making plays. He's pointing out where people should be on the court. He seems to be much more in control playing at high speeds and is looking to slash first but shoot if its there. I love Rodney 2.0. I was VERY encouraged by what I saw out him today.

Omar played great minutes. I hope it becomes a trend. He's still prone to 1 WTF airball a game, but he continues to get the most out of his minutes, plays with energy on the defensive end and knocked down a lot of looks today. Keep it up O.

Gibbs I thought had a bit of the look of a guy trying to figure out how to play in KO's offense. His rhythm was off a bit. But despite that you could see his talent. Will punish you if you go underneath the screen. Has the ability to create his own shot. And I was pleased at the way he played off of the wings. I wouldn't call him a pure point by any means, but he's a competent ball handler for sure.

Dham is still Dham. The proof in his pudding will be about his scoring efficiency. He looked great on the glass and looked a bit more comfortable with the ball in his hands on the break. His half court defense was...interesting.

Enoch was behind Phil and a bull in a china shop in every sense. Will be great, needs time.

No signs of a jump forward from Kentan just yet. I'm worried for his minutes. Miller is going to get the bulk of the work at the 4 and I think D ham will play a lot there to keep Adams, Gibbs and Purvis all on the court together.

Amida caught a laser pass low at his waist from Adams. I think that's a pretty good sign his hands are improving. He did seem to be getting to some balls a bit more out of his area and his timing on the glass was somewhat improved. There were still some "midaish" moments on the defensive glass though. The debate will continue. The way this game was called it's hard to tell whether or not he's playing smarter on defense to avoid foul trouble. He did get 3. The third was BS. But he should expect at least 1 BS call a game.

Phil is Phil.

First take on Sam I am is that he was not slowed by his injury last year.

We are sick in the open court. We gave up 10 points at the free throw line easy. We only showed glimpses of our top gear and its very enticing indeed.

Reaction Score
If Miller can play around the rim and be the focal point there I think that would be big for Brimah. I think he plays much better off the weak side.

Reaction Score
Love it. Looking forward to seeing them play. Radio sounded sorta promising. Seemed like scoring came from a lot of places.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
I agree entirely with this analysis. Although I thought Nolan looked good on that jump stop slam in the second half, not sure he was making that play in years past. DHam looked hesitant to take the 3 in the first half but I was ok with that seeing as it was an exhibition, getting to the rack was priority 1. Purvis showed spurts late in the 2nd half IMO and Brimah seemed to take a backseat to Miller. Miller was very impressive, muscling through contact on his way to several and-ones...most of which he missed the back end on. Agree than Jalen seemed slightly out of control but showed great end-to-end speed on a rebound and lay-up at the other end. I was very happy with what I saw for the most part. Obviously this was an exhibition and there is room to grow. On Tampa's side their guard Bacon hit some impressive 3's and seemed to be encouraged by the crowd getting on him. He may have blown them a kiss at one point. All in all, very encouraging!

Reaction Score
Yep on Miller, wow! Just a whole new guy at the 4 with his basketball intellect and just being around the ball it would seem almost always.

I know what you'll say but screw it, no way today showed any improvement in AB but it's too early to pick on it. Most of what I saw was repeat of prior performances and not too good. Blocked shots - yes. Missed 2-3 rebounds in his hands and loose ball too - yes. Not in good position for defense on a 5'10 guy and instead fouled him stupidly - yes. Guess I just want to see improvement. Phil was better.

I do think this team will run more and really can get out. Miller threw 2 over the head passes about 40 feet which I loved and haven't seen for a long time. And Gibbs, Rodney and Jalen can do things in the open court to bring excitement.

One thing I will add is Tampa was not that bad, had some nice players. While they would expect to hammer them in a month or so this team played hard and had 3-4 decent athletes.

Reaction Score
I agree entirely with this analysis. Although I thought Nolan looked good on that jump stop slam in the second half, not sure he was making that play in years past. DHam looked hesitant to take the 3 in the first half but I was ok with that seeing as it was an exhibition, getting to the rack was priority 1. Purvis showed spurts late in the 2nd half IMO and Brimah seemed to take a backseat to Miller. Miller was very impressive, muscling through contact on his way to several and-ones...most of which he missed the back end on. Agree than Jalen seemed slightly out of control but showed great end-to-end speed on a rebound and lay-up at the other end. I was very happy with what I saw for the most part. Obviously this was an exhibition and there is room to grow. On Tampa's side their guard Bacon hit some impressive 3's and seemed to be encouraged by the crowd getting on him. He may have blown them a kiss at one point. All in all, very encouraging!

Yeah Jalen seems like he might need to realize he needs to be a lot more decisive when he goes to the whole as well as throwing more crisp passes. He will get it, a new speed to the game for him.

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing about Tampa. I only listened, but they seemed ok. I suspect they took the game because they are halfway decent at their level and wanted to test themselves.

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing about Tampa. I only listened, but they seemed ok.

Reddick, Bacon, Hollis, Johnson all were pretty decent players. For a team picked 6th in a Divy2 league they looked better. Also they mentioned someone was not playing due to a broken nose vs SCSU

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of this.

The first half was terribly disappointing with regard to transition offense. 0 transition points in the first half. That changed in the 2nd half. Adams is great in the open floor.

I thought Phil was more than just Phil today. Like always, he is foul prone and not fluid, but I thought he had some really nice moments. We will need his experience and photo bombing this year.

Gibbs can shoot. Purvis has really found a nice balance between looking for driving lanes and taking shots when they are there. Hamilton is a creator and is so versatile but had some frustrating moments.

Lastly, duckK these new foul rules. The chippy, nit-picky fouls are unbearable and really prevent fluidity within the game. I really hope this was just a precedent-setting game and it lets up as the year goes along.

Overall, offense is there. Defense will get there. This team will be good.

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing about Tampa. I only listened, but they seemed ok. I suspect they took the game because they are halfway decent at their level and wanted to test themselves.

I only saw the 2nd half...but in that half, Tampa was hitting all types of contested jumpers. I liked what I saw.

Reaction Score
My favorite lineup this year will be Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Miller.

Reaction Score
Like OP's analysis. Pretty much sums up what I saw today. A dubious bright spot is that Brimajh and Dham will be with us next year as they didn't look reay to move on.

Reaction Score
I basically agree with OkaForPrez. I'd like to add that this team still has a lot of work to do.

Adams was impressive!

Reaction Score
Like OP's analysis. Pretty much sums up what I saw today. A dubious bright spot is that Brimajh and Dham will be with us next year as they didn't look reay to move on.

Little too early to be summing those 2 up c'mon. Not too many walked away with better than a C other than Miller and maybe Omar/Phil. As expected people were rusty playing together vs someone other than themselves for the first time and that's why they play these. All will be fine

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
All this analysis from the first game against an average d2 team in a game that doesn't count... We need the Maine game now!

Reaction Score
It is going to be hard to overstate what an upgrade Gibbs and Miller are over Samuel and Facey.
You are right, but I dont think this is a fair comparison. Gibbs is replacing Boat. Adams is replacing Samuel.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
For those who couldn't catch the action:

Miller is the obvious place to start. His nose for the ball was on full display, but most importantly the spacing he afforded us by being a threat on that 12-15 foot baseline jumper was clearly something that we're building into our gameplan. He's another dump off option for us when we beat the perimeter defense to the 2nd level and with his hands and power finishes he'll be on the receiving end of a lot of them. After watching him today I really see him playing around the rim a lot more than on the perimeter. His Bball IQ is off the charts. One example was the one handed touch pass that he used in the corner which got the ball right back to gibbs and prevented the double team before it could materialize. It gave Gibbs just enough of an advantage to beat his man back towards the center of the court. The other was his low post back down where he froze his defender towards the center of the court then created space with a quick step back and put the ball soft and high off the glass. That was next level stuff. Forget about the one handed man rebound put back and 1. We're going to love watching this guy ball all year. I wish we had more than just 1 with him.

Jalen reminded me of young bazz today in that he is so talented he made incredible plays with his court vision but sometimes took an ill advised risk (as you would expect from a freshman don't kill me for saying that). What a talent though. Really dangerous in the open floor. Even with the mistakes he had a poise about him. Knocked down his open shots and brought energy to the floor. He's going to be a contributor from go.

Rodney 2.0 is fully upgraded. After a full year in KO's offense the ball no longer sticks at all with Rodney. Right off the catch he is cutting and attacking the rim and in doing so finding others and making plays. He's pointing out where people should be on the court. He seems to be much more in control playing at high speeds and is looking to slash first but shoot if its there. I love Rodney 2.0. I was VERY encouraged by what I saw out him today.

Omar played great minutes. I hope it becomes a trend. He's still prone to 1 WTF airball a game, but he continues to get the most out of his minutes, plays with energy on the defensive end and knocked down a lot of looks today. Keep it up O.

Gibbs I thought had a bit of the look of a guy trying to figure out how to play in KO's offense. His rhythm was off a bit. But despite that you could see his talent. Will punish you if you go underneath the screen. Has the ability to create his own shot. And I was pleased at the way he played off of the wings. I wouldn't call him a pure point by any means, but he's a competent ball handler for sure.

Dham is still Dham. The proof in his pudding will be about his scoring efficiency. He looked great on the glass and looked a bit more comfortable with the ball in his hands on the break. His half court defense was...interesting.

Enoch was behind Phil and a bull in a china shop in every sense. Will be great, needs time.

No signs of a jump forward from Kentan just yet. I'm worried for his minutes. Miller is going to get the bulk of the work at the 4 and I think D ham will play a lot there to keep Adams, Gibbs and Purvis all on the court together.

Amida caught a laser pass low at his waist from Adams. I think that's a pretty good sign his hands are improving. He did seem to be getting to some balls a bit more out of his area and his timing on the glass was somewhat improved. There were still some "midaish" moments on the defensive glass though. The debate will continue. The way this game was called it's hard to tell whether or not he's playing smarter on defense to avoid foul trouble. He did get 3. The third was BS. But he should expect at least 1 BS call a game.

Phil is Phil.

First take on Sam I am is that he was not slowed by his injury last year.

We are sick in the open court. We gave up 10 points at the free throw line easy. We only showed glimpses of our top gear and its very enticing indeed.
agreed... i'll add it seemed like a majority of the time when the ball was on the perimeter they seemed too unselfish and kept passing up shots... but the driving to the lane seems like it'll be an improvement for the wings... facey seemed aggressive on the defensive boards and has a lot of bounce... hamilton and purvis seemed very comfortable and confident. they're all getting used to the system and playing together, they'll find their roles and learn where each player likes to be,etc. the only thing i'll say about brimah is that he still needs to work on is not going for a block and body checking the guy. also when he goes for a rebound it seems like he thinks his arms are too long and they become alligator arms

Reaction Score
Little too early to be summing those 2 up c'mon. Not too many walked away with better than a C other than Miller and maybe Omar/Phil. As expected people were rusty playing together vs someone other than themselves for the first time and that's why they play these. All will be fine
I don't know. Tampa is a Division II team and even if they were the best DII team out there, a top level DI team should be able to cream them and that's not really what happened here IMO.

Reaction Score
Nothing can be stated as fact from one exhibition...as far as who stays or goes. Hamilton was ok I think still is not sold he is our stud who has to be the Rock of the team every night. Confident he will get there just might take some time. Miller is a man. Tough, aggressive and talented. Gibbs looked tentative and ensure of himself but did not make any major mistakes. Jalen is going to have a solid role on this team and might not start but could come close to playing starter minutes. Rodney looked more sure of himself than he did early last year. Sam and Kenton look like they are gonna provide depth. Nothing really stood out about their play. Might be on outside looking in once rotation settles. Enoch looked like every freshman big man we have had. A fouling machine. No real opportunities to showcase his skills as he was fouling literally every other minute he was out there.

Game was called tight. No real flow to the game. Seemed like a constant parade to charity stripe. Overall loved the shorter shot clock...should help a team like uconn more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom