June 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

June 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Reaction Score
Boston was named NFOY, Lisa Leslie award winner, SEC DPOY, as well as All American. Not saying Paige won’t be good but she’ll have to live up to the same height as Boston did this past season in order for your argument to be valid.
Rather than who will be better Boston or Paige, I think we can look at this from a broader perspective. You don't necessarily need to have the best player in the country to win a national championship, but one of the best plus many very good players is a nice model.

Last year's team didn't quite have that elite talent. Megan and Crystal were very good players, but not at the star level of many of our championship teams that had lots of very good players plus a national star. The bench was also not deep. There was a drop off below the top three teams last year, all of which had that star player on a very high level.

In my opinion Boston showed enough last year to be pretty convinced she is a very high future WNBA draft pick. For the next three years South Carolina can be a contender if they surround her with very good players, some of which came in as freshmen with Boston in their great recruiting class, and they seem like their recruiting successes will continue. I fully expect them to be in the championship discussion for the rest of her career.

Paige is expected to be that kind of player as well, probably even more highly regarded coming out of high school, but of course untested at the collegiate level. It appears we too will have plenty of very good players to compliment her. With only one year separating South Carolina's great class and our's this year, these are two teams that should be near the top for the next several years, and both Boston and Paige appear to be the kind of players you could build a championship around.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
We lost our best two three point shooters. We have Anna back and Paige coming in. Those two could both shoot over 40%. Not sure if anybody else is capable to shoot that percentage. You never know, somebody could surprise us.

There is no "could" for Ania in this regard. She shot 25% from 3 for the first 8 games of her career.

She then led the team at 44.8% (52 of 116) for the next 24 games.

That's did, not could.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
We lost our best two three point shooters. We have Anna back and Paige coming in. Those two could both shoot over 40%. Not sure if anybody else is capable to shoot that percentage. You never know, somebody could surprise us.

I think CW definitely has the potential to shoot over 40% from three. This season was definitely not indicative of her abilities.

Reaction Score
Rather than who will be better Boston or Paige, I think we can look at this from a broader perspective. You don't necessarily need to have the best player in the country to win a national championship, but one of the best plus many very good players is a nice model.

Last year's team didn't quite have that elite talent. Megan and Crystal were very good players, but not at the star level of many of our championship teams that had lots of very good players plus a national star. The bench was also not deep. There was a drop off below the top three teams last year, all of which had that star player on a very high level.

In my opinion Boston showed enough last year to be pretty convinced she is a very high future WNBA draft pick. For the next three years South Carolina can be a contender if they surround her with very good players, some of which came in as freshmen with Boston in their great recruiting class, and they seem like their recruiting successes will continue. I fully expect them to be in the championship discussion for the rest of her career.

Paige is expected to be that kind of player as well, probably even more highly regarded coming out of high school, but of course untested at the collegiate level. It appears we too will have plenty of very good players to compliment her. With only one year separating South Carolina's great class and our's this year, these are two teams that should be near the top for the next several years, and both Boston and Paige appear to be the kind of players you could build a championship around.

And both schools putting together very nice classes this year.

How long does the contract run?

2018-2019 total attendance:
1.UConn - - - - - - - - -38 - - - -288,433
2.Notre Dame39 273,063
3.South Carolina- - - -33 - - - -254,887
4.Mississippi St.36 248,267

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think CW definitely has the potential to shoot over 40% from three. This season was definitely not indicative of her abilities.
This year was totally between the ears for her.

Reaction Score
There is no "could" for Ania in this regard. She shot 25% from 3 for the first 8 games of her career.

She then led the team at 44.8% (52 of 116) for the next 24 games.

That's did, not could.

She also shot over 41% for the year last year. Bueckers and Westbrook both have a good chance at topping the 40% mark next year as well. I also think that Williams will have a huge bounce back year next year and shooting over 40% is not out of the realm of possibility for her either.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers enters the Pentagon and scores 30 against #1 Sioux Falls O'Gorman

The 8th game of 2018-19 had Hopkins traveling out-of-state to South Dakota to play in the Sanford Classic at Sioux Falls' Sanford Pentagon arena...Junior Paige Bueckers would score 30 with 5 assists and 5 steals.

Reaction Score
UConn's offense will run much more efficiently next season and that usually translates into higher % shots for everyone.
Maybe some of CW's shooting woes could be attributed to the loss of Katie Lou and Naphesa. For one they drew much of the attention of opponents defenses, but also they were good passers and of course were familiar with the system. Compared to Uconn standards in the past, it was not a particularly gifted group when it came to passing this last season.

In my opinion only one, Anna had special passing instincts. She comes back with two freshmen in Paige and Nika that appear to have that ability as well, and Westbrook adds some point guard skills to the mix as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She likes jumping on Trampolines. That's cute. And her favorite player is Dee. Sweet kid. Kind of shy. Says she needs to work on her ball handling, especially with her left hand. Love her demeanor and attitude.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At 1:10 Ms Lewis is asked if she has a dream school she wants to attend. You may have heard of it.

I like her too. Very well spoken, and I like her choice of colleges she wants to attend. She won't graduate HS for 6 more years. Think of the growth and development she'll gain playing all of the "elite" club and HS basketball during that time. Geno and UConn is still attractive to the youngsters. With that outside shot, we could have used her THIS PAST YEAR!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe some of CW's shooting woes could be attributed to the loss of Katie Lou and Naphesa. For one they drew much of the attention of opponents defenses, but also they were good passers and of course were familiar with the system. Compared to Uconn standards in the past, it was not a particularly gifted group when it came to passing this last season.

In my opinion only one, Anna had special passing instincts. She comes back with two freshmen in Paige and Nika that appear to have that ability as well, and Westbrook adds some point guard skills to the mix as well.
Right on. For great stretches this year Liv had scoring challenges and Anna had her challenges early on and then there wasn't really a bench so she became a focus for the defense for the first rime and I think it got in her head.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Who are we now? Jeff Walz? Lol.

No! We're late to the party. Walz offered her two years ago. ;) Whenever I see videos like this, I always look at the competition.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
State Champs, Iowa City West play Hopkins in the 2017-18 season. Paige Bueckers scores 27

The 5th game of the 2017-18 season, had the state champions of Iowa's largest school class, Iowa City West, traveling to Minnesota to play Hopkins in a multi-team showcase at Minnetonka HS. This 67-48 Hopkins win was from Paige Bueckers' sophomore season.... Bueckers led all scorers with 27, shooting 13 of 18 (72%) field goals. Paige also grabbed 7 rebounds, 6 steals, and 4 assists.

Reaction Score
I like her too. Very well spoken, and I like her choice of colleges she wants to attend. She won't graduate HS for 6 more years. Think of the growth and development she'll gain playing all of the "elite" club and HS basketball during that time. Geno and UConn is still attractive to the youngsters. With that outside shot, we could have used her THIS PAST YEAR!!! :eek:
Geno will be 72. Who will be the coach that might be recruiting her at UConn?

Geno
The usual suspects:
- Shea
- Marisa
- Jen
- Carla
- Sue
- Diana
- Rebecca
- Courtney Banghart
Tyler Summitt
Steph Curry