June 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

June 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Reaction Score
There may be a lot of bigs in the pros but I believe Boston is unique. Based upon what I saw last year, she will be very successful in the pros. As for Paige, we have not seen her playing at the collegiate level yet and I would be surprised if she has the pro potential Boston has exhibited.
I haven't seen any part of Boston's game that is elite or unique at the college level yet, and certainly not pro ready.

Reaction Score
From the article:

Ok, so football players are comfortably in the bottom quartile. Well, that's about 20 kids per year out of 1700.

Do we know anything about the rest? 200 point SAT boost, per the article. So if the average at Stanford is around 1505, then the average Stanford student-athlete is scoring around 1300. And that includes all those football players, who are already established to have been in the bottom quartile, which means the average non-football athlete will be at least a bit above 1300.

SAT score of 1300 is around the 86th percentile nationally.
SAT score of 1060 is average - around 50th percentile. Anyone think that average Top 100 WBB recruit is much higher (if at all) than the average college applicant generally?

And you want to tell me Tara can magically drag any recruit in the country past admissions when the average Stanford student-athlete is scoring around 86th percentile nationally, ~240 points higher than the national average.

Ok, sure.

Where did I EVER say that? ALL I said is that Stanford, like EVERY other college in the country, has admittance exceptions for athletes! DON'T put words in my mouth!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Where did I EVER say that? ALL I said is that Stanford, like EVERY other college in the country, has admittance exceptions for athletes! DON'T put words in my mouth!
But it appears those exceptions would be high qualifiers at 99% of the other schools in the country. They might not get into Harvard, but Duke,ND, UConn UCLA,,,, easey peasey

Reaction Score
UConn has gotten many #1 recruits and while all have been good, not all have been "special" relative to their performance in college. While I believe Paige will be a special player, there are so many factors that contribute to a generational college player that I wait before anointing.
I agree after seeing Lewis, Lou, and Walker, who were all good players but not at a POY level, or clear top players on there UConn teams, I’m hoping Paige will be a POY level player, but we’ll have to wait and see. Lewis did play with Stewart so she gets a bit of a pass not being the go to player on her team, and Williams still has 2 years of college left before she’s a pro, but I don’t see her being “Legendary” just yet.

Reaction Score
I agree after seeing Lewis, Lou, and Walker, who were all good players but not at a POY level, or clear top players on there UConn teams, I’m hoping Paige will be a POY level player, but we’ll have to wait and see. Lewis did play with Stewart so she gets a bit of a pass not being the go to player on her team, and Williams still has 2 years of college left before she’s a pro, but I don’t see her being “Legendary” just yet.

Who is Lewis? You meant CWill, right?

And btw, none of them you just mentioned were ever considered the best player in their class as a junior. Players of that caliber have been Parker and Maya and assume Stewart. While Paige wasn't a consensus number 1 vs seniors as a junior I believe she was in some circles. And she was MVP of FIBA U19 as junior - not Boston.

You are comparing apples to oranges when you use Lou, CWill and Walker as examples. Paige in some circles is a two-time POY while the others are just one. The others were not considered extremely close to the SR POY when they were juniors, were they? So why compare them?

Reaction Score
Pretty sure KLS was #1 in her class as a junior, and I believe as a sophomore as well.

I mean nationally number 1. For example I know Maya was considered as a junior better than Tina as a sr. And I believe Parker was number 1 as a junior. No way Lou was considered better than Wilson.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the OT and the WBB player are not competing for the same spot at Stanford. The Stanford FB Coach and Tara both have a finite number of scholarships to award. To the degree they recruit qualified candidates who want to attend Stanford, they can sign as many as they want up to their respective scholarship limit.

But they may have a limit to how many academic exceptions are allowed among all athletic recruits each year. That limit led to my post about a choice. Who do you think more boosters would lobby for? And it's the same at every school that has football.

Reaction Score
Who is Lewis? You meant CWill, right?

And btw, none of them you just mentioned were ever considered the best player in their class as a junior. Players of that caliber have been Parker and Maya and assume Stewart. While Paige wasn't a consensus number 1 vs seniors as a junior I believe she was in some circles. And she was MVP of FIBA U19 as junior - not Boston.

You are comparing apples to oranges when you use Lou, CWill and Walker as examples. Paige in some circles is a two-time POY while the others are just one. The others were not considered extremely close to the SR POY when they were juniors, were they? So why compare them?

Just for the record, when Bueckers was a junior the POY was a sophomore. Bueckers and Fudd were both better than all the seniors last season. That's what all the praying for Fudd is about. :D

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I mean nationally number 1. For example I know Maya was considered as a junior better than Tina as a sr. And I believe Parker was number 1 as a junior. No way Lou was considered better than Wilson.

That's hard to determine though. Even with all of Azzi's accolades, have any of the recruiting outlets come out and said she's a better prospect than any of those in the classes before and after hers?

FYI, A'ja Wilson was only the #1 player in two of the five services as a senior. Two of them had Brianna Turner #1 and one had Kelsey Mitchell.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I must have a bad memory. I could swear I was hearing how Boston was the NC answer for UConn. UNTILl, she went somewhere else to play. Now it seems she is a bottom dweller that probably needs help tying her shoes.

I'm sorry but the Boston kid is the same kid that so many BYers wanted at UConn. That ship sailed. LET it go.

Reaction Score
Just for the record, when Bueckers was a junior the POY was a sophomore. Bueckers and Fudd were both better than all the seniors last season. That's what all the praying for Fudd is about. :D

Yes but Fudd got hurt during her soph year, didn't she? So at end of season Paige was POY, wasn't she? Not that it matters much but I know you and I agree that Paige is "freakish" anyways. That was the purpose of my post;- she was regarded as an underclassman in H/S better than the best senior (including Boston). That rarely happens. So nobody should compare her as the same as Lewis, Lou, Walker and CWill. Paige was something in H/S that these others were not.

Reaction Score
Yes but Fudd got hurt during her soph year, didn't she? So at end of season Paige was POY, wasn't she? Not that it matters much but I know you and I agree that Paige is "freakish" anyways. That was the purpose of my post;- she was regarded as an underclassman in H/S better than the best senior (including Boston). That rarely happens. So nobody should compare her as the same as Lewis, Lou, Walker and CWill. Paige was something in H/S that these others were not.

Fudd was hurt at the very end of her sophomore season and won NPOY. She missed all but the last month of this past season.

Reaction Score
I must have a bad memory. I could swear I was hearing how Boston was the NC answer for UConn. UNTILl, she went somewhere else to play. Now it seems she is a bottom dweller that probably needs help tying her shoes.

I'm sorry but the Boston kid is the same kid that so many BYers wanted at UConn. That ship sailed. LET it go.

Can you provide the post that says she is a bottom dweller?

There is a comparison between Paige and Boston. UCONN could win a championship with Boston if she came and things were normal, but Paige could still end up being better, isn't that possible? Unless you are implying if Paige is better then that means Boston is bottom dweller?

Please look back at all the posts. There are valid discussions on what to expect from Paige as a frosh and other discussions who would be a higher pick Paige or Boston. There is nothing on here suggesting Boston is a bottom dweller. Just a disagreement on what to expect from Paige and who would be a higher draft pick and who might be the better pro. IMO it's all Paige all day. That doesn't mean Boston is a bottom dweller.

If other posters are going to bring up Boston like she is so super (she is) - can't we counter in a friendly manner that we think we got "our Boston" but she is going to be better in Paige? If others bring up Boston on a pedestal I don't see why we can't counter with Paige. :)

This is all friendly amongst us rabid UCONN fans - especially most of us stuck at home with no sports to watch.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But they may have a limit to how many academic exceptions are allowed among all athletic recruits each year. That limit led to my post about a choice. Who do you think more boosters would lobby for? And it's the same at every school that has football.
All of the 15 WBB scholarships at Stanford are endowed by big money boosters who expect those scholarships to be filled. I don’t know if the 88 scholarships permitted in D1 football are also endowed by Stanford, or simply paid for out of the multimillion dollar Revenue pool for football.

Reaction Score
All of the 15 WBB scholarships at Stanford are endowed by big money boosters who expect those scholarships to be filled. I don’t know if the 88 scholarships permitted in D1 football are also endowed by Stanford, or simply paid for out of the multimillion dollar Revenue pool for football.
You keep missing something. I'm not talking about awarding scholarships but rather admitting outstanding athletes that don't meet the academic standards. Some have said that Tara never signs anyone unless they meet the academic standard for other students. Someone else has said that there are exceptions to those standards for some athletes and my post was that it's likely only a limited number of these exceptions is allowed for the entire athletic dept then it's likely that they were used for other sports with a higher profile. It has nothing to do with limiting how many scholarships Tara can award.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You keep missing something. I'm not talking about awarding scholarships but rather admitting outstanding athletes that don't meet the academic standards. Some have said that Tara never signs anyone unless they meet the academic standard for other students. Someone else has said that there are exceptions to those standards for some athletes and my post was that it's likely only a limited number of these exceptions is allowed for the entire athletic dept then it's likely that they were used for other sports with a higher profile. It has nothing to do with limiting how many scholarships Tara can award.
OK I got it. But I don’t necessarily buy the description of a 320 lb OT with 1300 SAT’s, who is probably in the top 10% of his class, as an academic exception. In my mind, that is an extraordinarily talented young man and true student-athlete.

Reaction Score
I was talking about Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis my bad.

Same story with KML. She was not considered better than the top senior in her junior year. To do that it means you are extremely special. Page was considered better her junior year than the seniors. KML was not. They aren't comparable. All "number 1's" are not the same.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I understand some schools give the coaches a certain number of exceptions, where they will admit a student at the coach's request who is an NCAA minimum qualifier but does not meet the school's own admissions standards. Stanford does not have exceptions in that sense.

Stanford does try to admit a diverse and well rounded student body, by no means just the very top of the academic performers. Non-academic abilities count towards the overall admissions decision, and a coach's recommendation counts strongly. But athletes still have to meet Stanford's own academic requirements, which are high but not stratospheric. The coaches are well aware of the requirements and work closely with admissions to avoid the embarrassment of offering and having someone commit who is then not admitted. That does happen on rare occasions, though.

Of course regardless of what I say, I expect people here will still believe what they want to believe.

Reaction Score
Same story with KML. She was not considered better than the top senior in her junior year. To do that it means you are extremely special. Page was considered better her junior year than the seniors. KML was not. They aren't comparable. All "number 1's" are not the same.
I haven’t seen anything that said Paige was better then 2019 Jones or Horston, but maybe you did.

Reaction Score
I haven’t seen anything that said Paige was better then 2019 Jones or Horston, but maybe you did.

I can't find the links other than on the BY here and maxpreps -- but here on the Boneyard the link below identifies Paige, Azzi and Jones as top 3 with the link to an article stating as such.. So Paige was ranked ahead of Horston (and Boston.). And she sort of backed it up that summer by being MVP in FIBA U19. She was the most efficient player on the team as well. Stats show that (though no Jones or Horston). The stats identify her as most efficient on her team - better than Boston. Which is why she was MVP of the tournament. Here is link for her being top 3// better than Horston: Pg 69 of this site. Post came form UconnCat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom