June 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

June 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Reaction Score
Wow-- I just disagree with this so much. What makes Boston so unique? She is big. But she is 6'4, right (I don't think she is as talla s Olivia)? The super players in the WNBA that were 6'4 and above most had games 15 feet and out. The ones that were dominant inside were players like Fowles who is 6'6. The WNBA attracts more than just USA players which means when Boston gets into the WNBA there will be more players to match up to her size.

Boston is going to overwhelm college players because she is so much bigger and she has very good teammates that will deliver her the ball. What makes her special other than "big?" I'm not saying she is going to be "average."
She is physical. There are other taller players but in my opinion Boston is as physical as McCowan and has a better offensive game. Again, my opinion, she will be dominate in the pros.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is physical. There are other taller players but in my opinion Boston is as physical as McCowan and has a better offensive game. Again, my opinion, she will be dominate in the pros.

She has a really nice efficient Offensive game but for me, it is her timing, instincts and overall positioning on Defense that really separates her from the rest in the post. And unlike most posts nowadays, she likes it in there.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She has a really nice efficient Offensive game bit for me, it is her timing, instincts and overall positioning on Defense that really separates her from the rest in the post. And unlike most posts nowadays, she likes it in there.
Imagine that, a post player that doesn’t think she should be hanging out at the arc hoisting up shots. As info, Boston was 2-12 from the arc all season.

Reaction Score
There is no definition of "generational" imo. I think we all manufacture it (me too) for discussion purposes. Otherwise I would like anyone to explain what is the defintion of a generational player. OFC we can say "DT, Maya, Stewie" but again that;s not a definition.
----------------
But again I'd like to ask -- can I assume that whenever UCONN gets a much ballyhooed recruit, that you will always say "she appears to be special but let's wait?" There will probably never be a player for you to acknowledge ever in h/s that she will be tremendous in college and beyond, correct? Please don't take this as I am "knocking you."
You continue to miss the point. You anoint players as the best in college before they have any college experience. I expected KLS to be in the same class as Maya and Stewie. She is one of my favorite players ever but never reached this level. Will Paige be in the KLS or DT class? You are correct - I expect her to be very good but don't have any idea how good until I see her play for Geno, typically after her frosh year.

Reaction Score
You continue to miss the point. You anoint players as the best in college before they have any college experience. I expected KLS to be in the same class as Maya and Stewie. She is one of my favorite players ever but never reached this level. Will Paige be in the KLS or DT class? You are correct - I expect her to be very good but don't have any idea how good until I see her play for Geno, typically after her frosh year.
I think it is easier to look dominate in high school because many of the teams are not conditioned to the collegiate level and a 6 ft guard is one of the taller players, whereas at the college level a 6 ft guard is getting to be the norm. In my opinion, the major differences between HS and college are conditioning and physically.

Reaction Score
I think it is easier to look dominate in high school because many of the teams are not conditioned to the collegiate level and a 6 ft guard is one of the taller players, whereas at the college level a 6 ft guard is getting to be the norm. In my opinion, the major differences between HS and college are conditioning and physically.

I've been watching Bueckers since her sophomore year in high school and I believe she could have started for the majority of college teams back then...........she has rarely played all out at the offensive end of the floor preferring to get her teammates easy baskets as opposed to scoring 35-40 points a game...........she is fully capable of averaging 25 points per game at the college level if Geno gives her the green light.............she's going to be living on the foul line for the next four years never mind her outside and mid range games which are top tier......

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Personally, I like Paige's assessment of herself

Some players can shoot the 3 better, some might be able drive better, some may play better defense ....... but no one passes as well as me.

And since I care as much about how UConn plays (pass first unselfish style) as the final results, I fully expect Geno will hone her natural instincts to a Dee / Sue level while filling in any holes over the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
Your opinion is definitely biased if you don’t think Boston is good. She can be the player of the year this year in my opinion if not Rhyne Howard.

As for Paige, she is the closest thing to DT that I’ve seen with the talent, swag, the ability to make teammates better, etc. However, as Geno has said plenty of times, we just don’t know yet. We won’t know until she’s on the court. You can’t preordain players who haven’t played a collegiate game yet the NPOY especially at UConn. He will be on you like white on rice when he knows your potential and all the hype around her makes it no better. That can make or break you. It will not be so much as the players she’s competing against, it will be the pressure from the outside noise and Geno’s expectations for her. And as we have seen so many times before, there are not a lot of freshman that can come into Geno’s program and handle it like Maya Moore as a freshman. Let’s hope she does!

Reaction Score

***I just want to to start with I am not arguing that Boston won’t be a fine/terrific pro. I’m arguing that at this point in time I would take Paige over Boston. If I were to draft – she is the player I’m drafting over Boston.

In regards to Boston's physicality:

In the pros - the professional players work fulltime on their game and their fitness and their physicality. They are grown women. . There are plenty of physical players in the pros when you consider other countries.

In terms of physicality other countries have physical women who will continually work on their strength too. While they might not be as good as Boston in terms of overall player there will be quit e a few that can negate her strength enough that it won't make Boston “as dominant.” Case in point -- if her physicality is so awesome then can you explain why she only shot 44.3% in the 7 games in the FIBA U19 tournament? If her physicality is so dominant then why couldn't she shoot better vs other countries?

What you’re seeing right now in college is that there isn't enough bigs to counter her physicality. When she goes into the WNBA she is going to need "more." People in her own age group held her to 44%. That is a supposed strength of hers. Can you explain why she only shot 44%? It's because there are more "bigs" to match up with her physicality. BTW, McCowan is 6'7 or 6'8. Big difference between 6'7 and 6'4.

In regards to Bueckers vs Boston:

Boston might be terrific in the pros as you say. But stats show while still being good that there are bigs that can negate her efficiency in the low post. As for Paige – what’s her strength? It’s passing. She still had slightly above 2-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in the FIBA U19 Tourney. So her strength even as a “junior” (while Boston is a senior) still could not be negated much while Boston’s strength of scoring efficiency down low was. That doesn’t make Boston a bottom-dweller. Take her 2nd overall in the draft or 3rd -whatever - but Paige is superior – so take her 1st.

1—Paige as a junior was higher rated than Boston was a senior. 2—Paige’s overall stats of “+/-" was superior to Boston in the FIBA U19 along with her efficiency ratio. 3—Further, Paige’s strength wasn’t stopped. 4—Further Paige was MVP of that Tourney. 5—look at the history going back 15+ years when ratings became more prevalent—possibly just one senior was better than Paige. I say “possibly.” There is an equal chance Paige was better. The only players that have achieved better than seniors when they were a junior that I am aware of are Parker, Maya and probably Stewart. I can never predict anyone would be these players but all I know is Paige Bueckers is going to be one hellluva player whether she is “generational” or not. And I would draft her without a 2nd thought ahead of Boston.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I can't find the links other than on the BY here and maxpreps -- but here on the Boneyard the link below identifies Paige, Azzi and Jones as top 3 with the link to an article stating as such.. So Paige was ranked ahead of Horston (and Boston.).

This isn't a ranking, however. This is an award that is a result of media exposure as well as basketball prowess, and nobody got more media exposure two years ago than Azzi. I thought Haley Jones should've won it that year though I can understand Fudd being up for it.

Reaction Score

Hopjim can I say this?-- I respect your opinion. I hope our discussions won't become heated and they haven't been which is great. I enjoy the back-and-forth - I hope you and others do too.

You and I complete opposites if your expectation of KLS was teh smae as Steiw and Maya. Also, I find it odd if your expectation of KLS was same class as Maya and Stewie then why not Paige? I also loved KLS - a lot. But I never saw her as "Maya-great." And I can recall on one of Geno's shows - before Stewie came- he said something like "Most talented player we have ever had coming ot UCONN."

And as you say you don't know how good Paige will be- same with me to an extent-- I just know she is going ot be terrific. I can't define "generational" or any of that other stuff. Further, when you dratc players unless it's a Maya Moore Stiiew player - you never know "how good they will be." Nearly every player has risk. But I'd like to ask you a question--

****If you were an NBA GM would you have passed on drafting LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett? They didn't prove what they could do out of High School.

So while you say I am "annointing" Paige; It's only that I say she is going to be one helluva player. But I agree with the NBA scouts that would draft LeBron, Kobe and Garnett even though they didn't play any college ball. Just as the scouts took "the risk" I would take similar "risk" with Paige. I believe it to be "A sound risk." At leats here I see Paige was rated higher as a junior than Boston and I see just last summer she was the best on her team. I'm supposed to ignore that? Give me the risk any day of the week just as I would take "the risk" with LeBron, Kobe and Kevin.

Reaction Score
This isn't a ranking, however. This is an award that is a result of media exposure as well as basketball prowess, and nobody got more media exposure two years ago than Azzi. I thought Haley Jones should've won it that year though I can understand Fudd being up for it.

You have a link that it's not a ranking? They call Fudd POY but she is not POY?

You have to understand I have a certain skepticism with your pov on this subject. On that thread you made the below comment in bold:
And your initial posts on the thread seems like you were pushing Jones. But the below comment it seems like you want to regard POY based on seniority?

**I am not arguing -- I just find these comments odd and when you look back on that thread right from the get-go you seem to be pushing Jones. Am I wrong? I apologize if I am. I don';t want to further go down this path. You reply and I won't post a counter to it.

--------------------------------------

I think Fudd should've finished third among that trio: Jones, Bueckers, Fudd.

She has two more years to collect awards which seem in the bank at this point.
---------------------------------------------------

Reaction Score

How about waiting until she finishes one complete season.

Reaction Score
***I just want to to start with I am not arguing that Boston won’t be a fine/terrific pro. I’m arguing that at this point in time I would take Paige over Boston. If I were to draft – she is the player I’m drafting over Boston.

In regards to Boston's physicality:

In the pros - the professional players work fulltime on their game and their fitness and their physicality. They are grown women. . There are plenty of physical players in the pros when you consider other countries.

In terms of physicality other countries have physical women who will continually work on their strength too. While they might not be as good as Boston in terms of overall player there will be quit e a few that can negate her strength enough that it won't make Boston “as dominant.” Case in point -- if her physicality is so awesome then can you explain why she only shot 44.3% in the 7 games in the FIBA U19 tournament? If her physicality is so dominant then why couldn't she shoot better vs other countries?

What you’re seeing right now in college is that there isn't enough bigs to counter her physicality. When she goes into the WNBA she is going to need "more." People in her own age group held her to 44%. That is a supposed strength of hers. Can you explain why she only shot 44%? It's because there are more "bigs" to match up with her physicality. BTW, McCowan is 6'7 or 6'8. Big difference between 6'7 and 6'4.

In regards to Bueckers vs Boston:

Boston might be terrific in the pros as you say. But stats show while still being good that there are bigs that can negate her efficiency in the low post. As for Paige – what’s her strength? It’s passing. She still had slightly above 2-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in the FIBA U19 Tourney. So her strength even as a “junior” (while Boston is a senior) still could not be negated much while Boston’s strength of scoring efficiency down low was. That doesn’t make Boston a bottom-dweller. Take her 2nd overall in the draft or 3rd -whatever - but Paige is superior – so take her 1st.

1—Paige as a junior was higher rated than Boston was a senior. 2—Paige’s overall stats of “+/-" was superior to Boston in the FIBA U19 along with her efficiency ratio. 3—Further, Paige’s strength wasn’t stopped. 4—Further Paige was MVP of that Tourney. 5—look at the history going back 15+ years when ratings became more prevalent—possibly just one senior was better than Paige. I say “possibly.” There is an equal chance Paige was better. The only players that have achieved better than seniors when they were a junior that I am aware of are Parker, Maya and probably Stewart. I can never predict anyone would be these players but all I know is Paige Bueckers is going to be one hellluva player whether she is “generational” or not. And I would draft her without a 2nd thought ahead of Boston.

McCowan is 6'7", Griner 6'8" and Fowles 6'6" with more strength than Boston. Cambage is also 6'8" with more strength than Boston. Even Stef at 6'5" is stronger.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You have a link that it's not a ranking? They call Fudd POY but she is not POY?

You have to understand I have a certain skepticism with your pov on this subject. On that thread you made the below comment in bold:
And your initial posts on the thread seems like you were pushing Jones. But the below comment it seems like you want to regard POY based on seniority?

**I am not arguing -- I just find these comments odd and when you look back on that thread right from the get-go you seem to be pushing Jones. Am I wrong? I apologize if I am. I don';t want to further go down this path. You reply and I won't post a counter to it.

--------------------------------------

I think Fudd should've finished third among that trio: Jones, Bueckers, Fudd.

She has two more years to collect awards which seem in the bank at this point.
---------------------------------------------------

No, I said nothing about seniority. I thought Jones had the best season/was the best player in the nation two years ago. And it's not a ranking. It was a vote as to who wins a particular award.

Reaction Score
No, I said nothing about seniority. I thought Jones had the best season/was the best player in the nation two years ago. And it's not a ranking. It was a vote as to who wins a particular award.
We all expect Paige to be very good, but at least wait until she finishes her freshman season before you anoint her the next great player.
Dee won 3 titles, Maya won 2, and Stewie said she was going to UConn to win 4 titles and she did. Paige might someday be in that conversation, but not today.

Reaction Score
So what does this obsession with Boston have to do with UConn June recruiting?

from what I understand the city of Boston is recruiting basketball players to visit their fair city in June which is a very lovely time of the year

Reaction Score
Maybe because they are
So what does this obsession with Boston have to do with UConn June recruiting?
[/QAren't they recruiting her little sister Cambridge?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Same story with KML. She was not considered better than the top senior in her junior year. To do that it means you are extremely special. Page was considered better her junior year than the seniors. KML was not. They aren't comparable. All "number 1's" are not the same.
Parade Magazine, which used to do a decent job of ranking players, had KML as the #5 player in the nation as a HS sophomore, #3 as a junior, and #1 as a senior. I don't recall who they had as #1 in K's junior year, but it was probably Chiney or Chelsea Gray. Though Kaleena wasn't ranked #1 as a junior, she was much closer than many #1 recruits.

I generally agree that all #1s are not the same. Maya, Griner, Elena, and Stewie stand out as a cut (or two) above. Both Paige and Azzi seem to be in that group.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hopkins at Edina to start the Lake Conference season in the 2018-19 Season

On January 11, 2019, Hopkins played the 12th game of the 2018-19 season at Edina to kick of the Lake Conference season. The score was 53-21 Hopkins up at half. That trend continued to an 86-38 finish. Junior Paige Bueckers would finish with 25 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, and 4 steals.

Reaction Score
We all expect Paige to be very good, but at least wait until she finishes her freshman season before you anoint her the next great player.
Dee won 3 titles, Maya won 2, and Stewie said she was going to UConn to win 4 titles and she did. Paige might someday be in that conversation, but not today.

And let's not annoint Boston too much either. Maxpreps had Bueckers rated higher. Paige got the MVP of the U19 FIBA not Boston. Paige is near equal or better than than the best senior when she was a junior as maxpreps indicated, and yet we're supposed to ignore all this? The NBA didn't "ignore" LeBron James, Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett when they chose them out of High School and were chosen ahead of more established college players. Yet we should with Paige?

In terms of value of the recruit how often is there ever a junior who is better than all but "Maybe" one wa sbtter than her? And we're supposed to ignore that? Well you can. I won't. I'm not "annointing" I'm just looking historically at what's happened in the past when you have than a junior that is is better than all seniors or maybe one is better then there is pretty darn good chance that player is going to be one helluva player. And we have sen in the past on the men's side the NBA "scouts" choose to go a lot with talent. SO yeah our Paige is a phenom recruit and what Paige';s coach said is pretty appropriate.

Reaction Score
Have seen many Paige videos. Appears her team is strong, likely better than the group Azzi plays with. Any thoughts from the Boneyard if this is true? May not mean anything but typically a stronger team allows to point guard to focus more on running the team and assists versus strictly being a scorer. Suspect if Paige was on a weaker team, her scoring stats would be higher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom