July Open Period | Page 6 | The Boneyard

July Open Period

Reaction Score
Kimani must be at a different event. Anyone have idea where/for whom?

Reaction Score
The only name I recognize is Cam Whitmore and didn't think we were involved there anymore.

Edit: Probably Akil Watson

Akil Watson is a Fantastic player. Reminds me of Precious's game. Would love to see us put that offer out there.

Reaction Score
Akil Watson is a Fantastic player. Reminds me of Precious's game. Would love to see us put that offer out there.
I think we've offered already, Slater tweeted it out a few weeks ago

Reaction Score
Starling just looked awful. 6/19 from the floor and 1/11 from 3 right in front of Hurley. Looked like an out of control gunner. i'm sure it was a one-off, but probably good if we're hoping the other blue bloods won't get too involved, I guess.

Reaction Score
For 2022 I want Karaban and either Starling or Anglin. I prefer Karaban over Rodgers--I cannot get on board with anyone who can't shoot. Starling is better because of his size and better finishing, but seems like the stars are aligning with Anglin recently. Anglin is the better passer anyways so it isn't a huge loss or anything.

2023 we're still just going after the best talent available I assume. I believe these are the players we've offered or watched recently.

C - Miranda
PF - Powers
PF - Bowen
PF - Buzelis
SF - Edwards
SF - Middleton
SG - Ducharme
SG - Johns
PG - Lemond

I have a strong feeling about Bowen and hope he can come in as an Akok disciple/clone. I don't think we're really recruiting Powers that hard. Not sure about Ducharme--haven't watched their team this weekend I don't think. I haven't seen much I liked from Lemond this weekend, but he could just be off his game the past few days for whatever reason. The rest are all really talented.

2023 is going to be our best recruiting class yet if I had to guess. This is our chance to get the first true 5* under Hurley. We're in early on some really, really good players.
Def haven't watched either player as extensively as you but I came away from Ty Rodgers video thinking he'd have a defined roll and could see him coming in with a focus on being a lockdown defender. And he has the handle and plus athletic ability to get to the rim and finish. He can shoot (based on the one video I saw) but he's not a known shooter.

Karaban is skilled offensively at all 3 levels and is an above average shooter (or would you call him elite?), But you do have any concerns with his athleticism? Is he a tweener? Not enough athletic or the lateral agility to play SF against high majors, but not tall/strong enough to match up against a PF. is he shoehorned in as a stretch 4 against smaller lineups, but he would hold up is the opposing team but a true PF in?

Asking your opinion. Felt like Rodgers could def be a Hurley guy, disruptive on defense and athletic in transition.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Def haven't watched either player as extensively as you but I came away from T Rodgers video thinking he'd have a defined roll and could see him coming on with a focus on being a lockdown defender. And he has the handle and plus athletic ability to get to the rim and finish. He can shoot but he's not a known shooter.

Karaban is skilled offensively at all 3 levels and is an above average shooter (or would you call him elite?), But you do have any concerns with his athleticism? Is he a tweener? Not enough athletic or lateral agility to play SF, but not tall/strong enough to match up against a PF. is he shoehorned in as a stretch 4 against smaller lineups, but he would hold up is the opposing team but a true PF in?

Asking your opinion. Felt like Rodgers could def be a Hurley guy, disruptive on defense and athletic in transition.

Thanks.

We got involved with Karaban later than most 2022 recruits we seriously recruited because after this season, Hurley realized we need more skill and shooting. There was a noticeable change in the tenor of our recruiting. I wouldn't call Karaban an elite shooter, but other than this weekend, he's been very, very good. Definitely a bit of a tweener at the 3/4, but wing positions are pretty nebulous so it isn't really a concern. A tweener at the 1 or the 5 is more concerning because they have such specific roles. Athleticism is definitely a concern. The good news is he is a very good hedge and recover player with High-IQ... in the right system he could make up for his lateral speed deficits.

Rodgers is a super athletic defender and better passer/ballhandler than Karaban. Being a good athlete and strong and not being able to shoot is a very Hurley thing to like... I do like having some diversity in our recruitment with both old and new Hurley type of guys. Better athlete, but also a couple inches shorter. He will be a better defender than Karaban day 1. I simply cannot get on board with anyone who isn't a 5 being a complete non-shooter. I know people like to say "look he took 3s in his highlights!" but those are literally EVERY SINGLE 3 he made this hs season. I don't think he has made a 3 this AAU season. Dozens of games. He is not a shooter. Not even close. And I can't get excited for his recruitment because of that.

Whoever comes, I'll be behind them 100% once they get here.

Reaction Score
Karaban
  • Not very good coming off screens. Slow and footwork isn’t good…. Off a regular catch he looks great.
  • Shooting is just way off this weekend. Not too concerned considering the history.
  • Still loving his defensive IQ. Rotates realllyyy well in scramble situations.
  • Got HOT in the 2nd half. Sparked a run for Expressions with two catch n shoot 3s…. Actually one was waves off to be a long 2… people crowding the corners messed with his space.
  • Baseline drive for the and 1 reverse looked pretty athletic. It’s really hard to get a read on this kid’s athleticism…. Even had that big dunk late in the game in OT in traffic. Might be a hip fluidity issue and not a pure athleticism thing?
  • His first step is weird driving… doesn’t use a negative step, just does a strange hop thing? Needs to sort that out at IMG.
  • He’s getting to the rim well and has good rhythm in his shot… I think all the games in a row are probably getting to him. Would explain the + FT shooting but bad shooting everywhere else.
  • Got blocked three times. Once on a bad decision to shoot… needs to use his jump stop and pump fake in the post more instead of going up as soon as he can.
  • 100% the kind of player that is better in a structured offense… aau doesn’t look good on him.
  • FANTASTIC pocket pass to Kante (who was fouled)... better passer than the stats are showing. His teammates miss A LOT.
  • RIDICULOUS deep three late in the game to tie it with 20 seconds left. Another with 7 seconds left.. .wow.
  • Dunk for the lead with 1 minute left!
  • Ended up with 26/4/1 on 9/15 shooting. 4/8 from 3.

Kante:
Kid is BUILT
  • Looks like a center, not a PF imo.
  • Limited as a scorer outside of dunks it seems.
  • ⅚ from the line. VERY confident at the line for his size/position.
  • He’s one to keep an eye on… high upside. If he doesn’t improve on being bigger and stronger than his peers, it might not be a good fit.
  • Long
  • Beast of a rebounder. The kind of guy you don’t teach to box out… just say “get the ball”
  • Fouled out at the end of regulation

Reaction Score
Now with the and-1 to open up OT... this kid is ridiculous. 20/20 from the line at Peach Jam. Cold-blooded. Makes it when it counts.

And another dunk for the lead with a minute left... wow.
I was gonna say but yeah he was the primary defender against #5 on the opposing team who went right at Karaban for consecutive buckets to keep it close in OT.

But he he did surprise me when he came back with that dunk in traffic. Got a shout out of me, I wasn't expecting the dunk.

Reaction Score
Karaban is skilled offensively at all 3 levels and is an above average shooter (or would you call him elite?), But you do have any concerns with his athleticism? Is he a tweener? Not enough athletic or the lateral agility to play SF against high majors, but not tall/strong enough to match up against a PF. is he shoehorned in as a stretch 4 against smaller lineups, but he would hold up is the opposing team but a true PF in?
Have zero concern. Some guys get the job done without looking the part. Khalid and Shabazz played under the rim and succeeded without being amazing athletes.

In the 3 Brewster/New Hampton games which included his mvp championship game, he was matched up against a top 10 SF Terrance Clarke with elite athleticism and Matt Cross a top 100 elite shooter, and those guys came out on the short end 3x.

Against Putnam Science Academy he was marched up against 2 of their 3 seven footers at all times, all top 150ish players, and he held his own individually but the team couldn't match up overall.

He is a tweener, but it doesn't make any difference. He exploits his strengths and he becomes the other team's problem. Any shortcomings are the reason we have teammates and coaches. Clingan/Sanogo for the size, Akok/Johnson for rim protection. Jackson to high fly, Hurley to employ schemes to overcome any advantage the other team might have.

Reaction Score
Mackenzie Mgbako (offered) and Aaron Bradshaw (interest) from NJ Scholars

Good program to stay in touch with. Bradshaw seems like a good target... similar role as Miranda.

Mgbako seems unlikely to me. He's a pro or going to UNC, Duke etc.

Reaction Score
Karaban kicking ass in first half 3-3 from deep, 2-2 FT, 13 pts 6 rb still in 1st half and he was out a couple minutes Starling 15 pts 1st half 4-6 from deep.

They are up big and giving Karaban rests because they play again later. Now 4-4 from 3

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Karaban kicking ass in first half 3-3 from deep, 2-2 FT, 13 pts 6 rb still in 1st half and he was out a couple minutes Starling 15 pts 1st half 4-6 from deep.

They are up big and giving Karaban rests because they play again later. Now 4-4 from 3
Guessing Dan must be at one of these games?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom