Juhász impressing Geno Auriemma since arriving from Ohio State: 'She's gonna play' | The Boneyard

Juhász impressing Geno Auriemma since arriving from Ohio State: 'She's gonna play'

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

"Dorka Juhász has had a picture taped to her wall from November 11, 2018, when Ohio State faced UConn at Gampel Pavilion during her freshman season with the Buckeyes. The picture is of her jumping up under the basket alongside UConn’s Olivia Nelson-Ododa. She’s looked at the photo for motivation. It has inspired her to keep pushing toward her goal of one day playing on the professional stage. But Juhász had no idea she’d one day be taping that same picture to a wall in an apartment in Storrs."

“She is highly skilled,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “When she’s in a state of calm, she makes an open shot. She’s a good passer. She works really hard defensively. She’s got good hands and good feet and she’s long. … I don’t think she’s one of the ones I’m worried about getting minutes. She’s gonna play. She’s good.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice to hear. Will she better than the last two bigs that transferred in (Butler, Stevens)?

Reaction Score
The first time I saw "Dorka Juhasz enters the transfer portal" I thought "Oh Boy! A new Noomi Rapace movie." I had no idea who Dorka Juhasz was. But after watching a couple of game vids, and listening to a couple of her interviews, I'm extremely pleased that she is now with UConn. Geno thinks she fits in, Paige thinks she fits in, and that's good enough for me. As Geno and others have said, when she calms down (she's apparently high energy excitable) she's deadly on the court. Like Edwards, she seems to be a player that isn't afraid to mix it up and distribute a few bruises here and there. We need that.

Reaction Score
She put up outstanding rebounding numbers. Apparently she defends well and can contribute offensively. She should play. Historically she hasn't generated many assists in any year but she rebounds very well. I say tell her to hit the boards, play defense and maybe stand in the corner whenever she's not in the play offensively. We can become more like Stanford as we are so deep. We are kind of a cross between Stanford and South Carolina. Maybe not quite as strong rebounding as South Carolina but deep enough to go 9 deep like Stanford. I sure would like to see her, Edwards and Ododa hit the boards while we are throwing up high percentage 3 balls from Paige, Caroline and Azzi. When we get the defensive rebound run with Kysten. Adding Dorka allows better rebounding and the depth allows everyone to run, as well as someone who can hit a 3 against tough competition.

Reaction Score
Dorka just may be the best transfer to UConn, ever. She won’t be an All-American. But she is not afraid to play on the low block, which is what this team needs. She may even replace Liv on the floor, late in games, if the score is close.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With DeBerry probably on the sidelines, Piath gets a little more window to show what she can do. If I was her, I would try to make a statement and dunk. ;)

Reaction Score
I agreed with your entire post, but this part struck me. In reality I suspect Bueckers, like Taurasi, believes any teammate of hers fits in and will make sure that teammate thinks that.
Absolutely. Geno specifically brought this up in a recent interview by saying (paraphrased bigly from memory) "Paige is the best teammate. Everybody wants to be Paige's teammate." She is all about the team and it shows.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Dorka is the missing piece of the puzzle for UConn to go all the way this season. UConn did not have enough experienced post players and now we do. If you wanna dream a little Liv Dorka Piath and Amari all are developed and improve so they can meaningful minutes then we are gonna be better then we thought. Edwards I see as a 4 not a 5. The reports Ive gotten on Amari is she is solid and skilled and plays with her back to the basket. She will give you 10/8 12/10. She has moves and playing against our upper classman she will improve.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't get Geno's comments and many of my fine colleagues comments on here. Dorka was a 1st ALL-CONFERENCE player in the Big Ten for 2 years, which has been the 2nd best WCBB Conference and may be even deeper this year than the PAC12. To say she's gonna get some time is an understatement. To also say she can't be an All-American but Liv could be is also a bit absurd. Dorka has had a much better career to date than Liv. Does Liv have more potential, yeah probably but at some point that potential has to be realized and I can't think of one big game where Liv was dominant. Dorka has played well in big games against Maryland, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa to name a few. Now she has more teammates that the other teams have to focus on. I only hope our opponents take Dorka as lightly as our fellow posters. That would be a huge opportunity for us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Edwards I see as a 4 not a 5
Why? She seems like the quintessential five to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't get Geno's comments and many of my fine colleagues comments on here. Dorka was a 1st ALL-CONFERENCE player in the Big Ten for 2 years, which has been the 2nd best WCBB Conference and may be even deeper this year than the PAC12. To say she's gonna get some time is an understatement. To also say she can't be an All-American but Liv could be is also a bit absurd. Dorka has had a much better career to date than Liv. Does Liv have more potential, yeah probably but at some point that potential has to be realized and I can't think of one big game where Liv was dominant. Dorka has played well in big games against Maryland, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa to name a few. Now she has more teammates that the other teams have to focus on. I only hope our opponents take Dorka as lightly as our fellow posters. That would be a huge opportunity for us.
The exact quote is

“I don’t think she’s one of the ones that I’m worried about getting minutes for,” Auriemma said. “She’s gonna play. She’s good.”

Geno has explained that she is perhaps not showing her best self yet due to being overexcited but when she is calm, she is dangerous on offense.

Reaction Score
Just as we can't just assume that Azzi will be another Paige, with the same immediate impact and leadership skills, I guess we can't just assume that Dorka will have the same immediate impact and leadership skills as Evina.
Just as Paige has been, to say the least, unique, perhaps Evina has also been a special case in a different way.
Evina. who had some good games and contributed significant numbers at TN, had to sit for a year before becoming eligible.
She was part of the team and took on a big leadership role before she played a minute for UCONN
Dorka is making a somewhat similar transition in the sense that she is transferring in from a competitive program, after putting together a d__n good showing. Although she hasn't been compelled to sit out.
I think Dorka might show some similar leadership skills with Piath, Amari and some of the other comparative newbie post players.
She doesn't seem to be shy or reticent.
If the season starts with Dorka having a a good grasp of what her function will be, and a somewhat clear understanding of what Geno's expectations are (although who knows if Geno knows himself what the plan will be), she can, no doubt be a stabilizing influence on the front court, which could certainly use some steadying. It's going to be a real dogfight (pardon the expression) for minutes out there.
However , Liv will not necessarily suffer from having a talented, experienced big on the roster. Could really work out for everybody.
I mean, if Boston and Cardoso are supposed to be able to do the trick for SC without cramping each other's style, why couldn't two, more experienced players give UCONN the strength and versatility where it's needed?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just as we can't just assume that Azzi will be another Paige, with the same immediate impact and leadership skills, I guess we can't just assume that Dorka will have the same immediate impact and leadership skills as Evina.
Just as Paige has been, to say the least, unique, perhaps Evina has also been a special case in a different way.
Evina. who had some good games and contributed significant numbers at TN, had to sit for a year before becoming eligible.
She was part of the team and took on a big leadership role before she played a minute for UCONN
Dorka is making a somewhat similar transition in the sense that she is transferring in from a competitive program, after putting together a d__n good showing. Although she hasn't been compelled to sit out.
I think Dorka might show some similar leadership skills with Piath, Amari and some of the other comparative newbie post players.
She doesn't seem to be shy or reticent.
If the season starts with Dorka having a a good grasp of what her function will be, and a somewhat clear understanding of what Geno's expectations are (although who knows if Geno knows himself what the plan will be), she can, no doubt be a stabilizing influence on the front court, which could certainly use some steadying. It's going to be a real dogfight (pardon the expression) for minutes out there.
However , Liv will not necessarily suffer from having a talented, experienced big on the roster. Could really work out for everybody.
I mean, if Boston and Cardoso are supposed to be able to do the trick for SC without cramping each other's style, why couldn't two, more experienced players give UCONN the strength and versatility where it's needed?
By Geno's own words, Dorka has sometimes been overexcited and does not always play her best under those conditions. She will probably focus on getting her own emotions under control as well as not wanting to overstep on a home grown senior's toes. So I see Liv as the main vocal leader of the posts at least in the beginning. No problem with that. As far as being on the court together, we will see how that looks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice to hear. Will she better than the last two bigs that transferred in (Butler, Stevens)?
Natalie led the nation in rebounding at GMU, and Azura is a WNBA champion. I expect that Dorka will be better than Natalie and roughly on a par with Azura (except better at 3-point shooting).
I largely agree with @MilfordHusky. Having said that, I believe (IMHO) that one reason Azura left was because Geno was pushing her to play much more in the post (where we desperately needed her), and Azura saw herself as a wing.

In watching Dorka's highlights, Geno will have NO PROBLEM getting her to bang in the post, with the added benefit of a good outside shot. Azura was dreadful from 3-point range at UCONN (17.6%), but she did average 14 and 7 in yer 1 year at UCONN, which is very solid.

Azura may end up with the better pro career, but I am still betting Dorka has a better UCONN career. Mostly because I think Dorka stays 2 years, and I would not be surprised to see her start next season after Olivia leaves!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dorka is the missing piece of the puzzle for UConn to go all the way this season. UConn did not have enough experienced post players and now we do. If you wanna dream a little Liv Dorka Piath and Amari all are developed and improve so they can meaningful minutes then we are gonna be better then we thought. Edwards I see as a 4 not a 5. The reports Ive gotten on Amari is she is solid and skilled and plays with her back to the basket. She will give you 10/8 12/10. She has moves and playing against our upper classman she will improve.
Thanks for the report Tony. I'd prefer the 12/10, but I'll take a "consistent" 10/8 right now!!! no questions asked. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom