Josh Davis Transfering Can Play Next Year... | The Boneyard

Josh Davis Transfering Can Play Next Year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They are going to be in our conference so don't think this can go down. Yes I know it sounds strange as hell, Tulane will be in the same conference as us.

Reaction Score
They are going to be in our conference so don't think this can go down. Yes I know it sounds strange as hell, Tulane will be in the same conference as us.

That was my first thought also. Just did some basic perusing to find out other fan bases reaction to the news. Seems like Duke, Kansas and Memphis all hyping the Kid up. I have never seen him play. Memphis joins us next year.

Your points are well taken and that was my first reaction that it may not be possible. On the other hand not sure of the exact logistics and timing related to conference affiliation issues.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
A fifth
Year senior who wouldn't affect 2014 recruiting would be great and he certainly sounds like a talented player. Hard to imagine him wanting to return to the program and coach that he left a couple of years back. I don't know if the AAC will use prior Big East rules but if they did he wouldn't be allowed to play at UConn or Memphis for that matter, for two years...so not likely to transfer to the AAC.

Reaction Score
A fifth
Year senior who wouldn't affect 2014 recruiting would be great and he certainly sounds like a talented player. Hard to imagine him wanting to return to the program and coach that he left a couple of years back. I don't know if the AAC will use prior Big East rules but if they did he wouldn't be allowed to play at UConn or Memphis for that matter, for two years...so not likely to transfer to the AAC.

Interesting...

Just wondering if some loophole may be out there looking forward. I will try and look into it. If/when I get a chance.

Thx

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He can't play for UConn.

Reaction Score
Thx for the poster feedback. Tulane joins the AAC in 2014-15 so Davis would never compete against Tulane. Davis has already graduated from college (good for him). Does Tulane have the power to restrict his movement to UConn or any other AAC school for that matter?

I am looking forward to the TO/EW combo though next year.

Reaction Score
Thx for the poster feedback. Tulane joins the AAC in 2014-15 so Davis would never compete against Tulane. Davis has already graduated from college (good for him). Does Tulane have the power to restrict his movement to UConn or any other AAC school for that matter?

I am looking forward to the TO/EW combo though next year.

I believe they can restrict him from where ever they want. It's not ethical, but it can still happen, but rarely does. I believe St. Joe's did something similar a couple years ago with a Senior who graduated & wanted to play his final year of eligibility elsewhere, just out of spite. I think there was a lawsuit over it, but I can't remember how it ended up. I doubt this one will turn into something like that though.

Reaction Score
I believe they can restrict him from where ever they want. It's not ethical, but it can still happen, but rarely does. I believe St. Joe's did something similar a couple years ago with a Senior who graduated & wanted to play his final year of eligibility elsewhere, just out of spite. I think there was a lawsuit over it, but I can't remember how it ended up. I doubt this one will turn into something like that though.

I vaguely remember the St. Joe's eligibility issue. Thanks for refreshing my recollection on that 1. This kid could be a great catch for someone in need of an interior presence especially from a rebounding perspective. My confidence in recruiting and the ability to be "in on" a transfer like this became legit when Ollie became coach. Certain players have put themselves in a position to be recruited over otherwise it wouldn't be worth the discussion. As mentioned above by several posters there is some obvious gray area here. Logic however could dictate he would be available to UConn next year. Then again rules and regulations do not always adhere to the reasonably prudent person.

UConn could be a perfect fit and we have Kevin Ollie. I just love love love very talented junk yard dogs.

Reaction Score
I vaguely remember the St. Joe's eligibility issue. Thanks for refreshing my recollection on that 1. This kid could be a great catch for someone in need of an interior presence especially from a rebounding perspective. My confidence in recruiting and the ability to be "in on" a transfer like this became legit when Ollie became coach. Certain players have put themselves in a position to be recruited over otherwise it wouldn't be worth the discussion. As mentioned above by several posters there is some obvious gray area here. Logic however could dictate he would be available to UConn next year. Then again rules and regulations do not always adhere to the reasonably prudent person.

UConn could be a perfect fit and we have Kevin Ollie. I just love love love very talented junk yard dogs.

If all of our scholarship players return with Purvis and the 3 new recruits UConn will be at the 13 scholarship limit. That also assumes that Allen will not be a scholarship recipient next year

Reaction Score
Davis makes sense... we are already guard heavy and can use all the frontcourt help we can get... Tulane doesn't come to the AAC until '14 so don't know why it would be an issue

pj

Reaction Score
Why can't he play anywhere? He's not a transfer, he's graduating. Graduate students can play if they retain eligibility.

Reaction Score
If all of our scholarship players return with Purvis and the 3 new recruits UConn will be at the 13 scholarship limit. That also assumes that Allen will not be a scholarship recipient next year

True, either Olander or EW would have to be gone initiated with a KO consultation leading to a scholly player not returning. Both are dispensable in my opinion although I would expect improvement from both next year. My point is KO will continue to show that his NBA career and contacts in conjunction with his connection to recruits/transfers and their parents will work out well for the future of UConn hoops.

Some team may very well get a major shot in the arm with Davis comparatively speaking. It will be very interesting to see who that team is.

Reaction Score
Why can't he play anywhere? He's not a transfer, he's graduating. Graduate students can play if they retain eligibility.
I believe you're right PJ. This situation sounds very similar to that of RJ Evans last season when he came in from Holy Cross. Since he had graduated, he was eligible immediately. I'm not sure about the transfer restrictions being applicable to a graduate, but logically speaking, it doesn't seem that they would be.

Reaction Score
It feels more and more like the spring time is like a free agency period between all of the coaching changes, transfers, and now the graduates who move on elsewhere. Just read Mike Moser is leaving UNLV(but has already settled on Washington) in a similar move to Davis, I guess that opens things up for Roscoe to play PF.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It feels more and more like the spring time is like a free agency period between all of the coaching changes, transfers, and now the graduates who move on elsewhere. Just read Mike Moser is leaving UNLV(but has already settled on Washington) in a similar move to Davis, I guess that opens things up for Roscoe to play PF.

The Moser thing was something of a surprise - I know he was injured this year and saw his minutes drop substantially, but he's a guy I would have loved to have seen head to UConn. He was a 14 and 10 guy as a soph.

Now he heads back to the PAC-12. (Played for UCLA as a frosh.)

Reaction Score
The Moser thing was something of a surprise - I know he was injured this year and saw his minutes drop substantially, but he's a guy I would have loved to have seen head to UConn. He was a 14 and 10 guy as a soph.

Now he heads back to the PAC-12. (Played for UCLA as a frosh.)

Yea he must've had issues with the staff or players on the team because with Bennett gone the PF spot is back to being his. Must've been upset with the way he was handled this year.

Reaction Score
Thx....Good pick up for Washington with Moser. UConn will see him next year. Not impressed with Moser at all this year but have to attribute a good part of it to injury. No doubt he could have been a nice fit also at UConn. Fine line between a Sweet 16 and Final4 team. Guys like Davis & Moser could have the capability to being difference makers depending on where they end up. With Washington it may get them in the dance next year. For a team that needs immediate front court help, experience and athleticism Davis could very well be the key ingredient to a Final4 run/Nat Champ. run especially for a team with all the other pieces in place. The latter is my hope for UConn. Our front court needs help if possible. Facey should contribute but UConn will see the most tangible results relating to his growth by his JR. year. I am not convinced our soon to be seniors other than Bazz have what it takes to get us to Cowboys Stadium. Against a physical team similar to this years WSU in the Regional Semi-Finals (MSG??) we would be vulnerable.

Absent any other movement...Davis right now is really the only guy left on the board that in theory could take UConn to that next level (Final4). My guess is he will end up at a high major with an opportunity to flourish in a system where he becomes 1 of 4 top options for a Top 25 team. Because he may be exactly what UConn needs he will be interesting to follow. In a perfect world Facey /Nolan mature quickly or TO/EW produce cumulatively in such a way as to not leave to much of a void in the middle.

Our top 3 players will be studs but we play best in transition and a Davis or Davis clone could be the golden key to the doors of Cowboys Stadium next year. JMHO

Reaction Score
Thx....Good pick up for Washington with Moser. UConn will see him next year. Not impressed with Moser at all this year but have to attribute a good part of it to injury. No doubt he could have been a nice fit also at UConn. Fine line between a Sweet 16 and Final4 team. Guys like Davis & Moser could have the capability to being difference makers depending on where they end up. With Washington it may get them in the dance next year. For a team that needs immediate front court help, experience and athleticism Davis could very well be the key ingredient to a Final4 run/Nat Champ. run especially for a team with all the other pieces in place. The latter is my hope for UConn. Our front court needs help if possible. Facey should contribute but UConn will see the most tangible results relating to his growth by his JR. year. I am not convinced our soon to be seniors other than Bazz have what it takes to get us to Cowboys Stadium. Against a physical team similar to this years WSU in the Regional Semi-Finals (MSG??) we would be vulnerable.

Absent any other movement...Davis right now is really the only guy left on the board that in theory could take UConn to that next level (Final4). My guess is he will end up at a high major with an opportunity to flourish in a system where he becomes 1 of 4 top options for a Top 25 team. Because he may be exactly what UConn needs he will be interesting to follow. In a perfect world Facey /Nolan mature quickly or TO/EW produce cumulatively in such a way as to not leave to much of a void in the middle.

Our top 3 players will be studs but we play best in transition and a Davis or Davis clone could be the golden key to the doors of Cowboys Stadium next year. JMHO

Have you heard anything that Davis was interested in UConn? While he would be solid, we're out of scholarships for next year. Obviously we need to see how the Wolf thing plays out. I also worry that Tolksdorf could depart, since he didn't see much time on the court last year & probably won't increase much next year unless he can expand his game.

PS - Loved your "junkyard dog" comment earlier. Those kind of guys are my favorites. We should start a thread on that! LOL

Reaction Score

Wasn't a big part of Roscoe's decision to transfer because he wanted to play SF??

Reaction Score
Wasn't a big part of Roscoe's decision to transfer because he wanted to play SF??

Yes, Karma! Sounds like he's UNLV's starting PF next year. I think it's amusing. Though I loved him on UConn b/c he played hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom