Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team

Reaction Score
Borges: Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team

>>As his son pondered his college basketball future a few months ago, James decided to give a call to his former coach to inquire about Hurley. “They were going through whether Josh should stay or go,” Blaney recalled. “I told him, ‘I know Danny and (assistant) Tommy Moore love Josh. Let me call them and see what they think.’” Hurley and Moore told Blaney they thought Carlton had great potential and could be a really good college player if he wanted to stay and work with them.<<

>>It seems Carlton is already showing improvements during UConn’s brutal summer sessions. Hurley said late last week that Carlton really struggled through the first five or so sessions, but has come alive recently. “He’s just like a baby, physically, right now,” Hurley noted. “The last 2 ½, three workouts, he’s starting to emerge and have an impact. (On Friday), he stood out. He was getting drilled early in the week, physically just kind of getting beat up. But he’s starting to get adjusted to the physicality and getting tougher and more active.”

And that’s exactly why Josh Carlton — with a little help from George Blaney — decided to return to UConn this season. “It’s a perfect time for Connecticut, a perfect time for Dan Hurley, and a perfect time for Josh,” said Blaney. “Everything is new. You can work with a guy who’s gonna really push you to be really good. He’s a terrific coach who knows what he’s doing and is completely committed to basketball. He’s gonna be a lifer.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More good stuff. Josh should have a nice jump from his freshman to sophomore year. I think Tyler Polley also, will be much better. Both of them were playing better the last third of the season or so.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sweetest quote from the article, for what it says about the entire team, not just Carlton.

“He’s just like a baby, physically, right now,” Hurley noted. “The last 2 ½, three workouts, he’s starting to emerge and have an impact. (On Friday), he stood out. He was getting drilled early in the week, physically just kind of getting beat up. But he’s starting to get adjusted to the physicality and getting tougher and more active.”

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hope Carlton is practicing a jumper, being an earth bound post player will only get him so far offensively.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Borges: Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team

>>As his son pondered his college basketball future a few months ago, James decided to give a call to his former coach to inquire about Hurley. “They were going through whether Josh should stay or go,” Blaney recalled. “I told him, ‘I know Danny and (assistant) Tommy Moore love Josh. Let me call them and see what they think.’” Hurley and Moore told Blaney they thought Carlton had great potential and could be a really good college player if he wanted to stay and work with them.<<

>>It seems Carlton is already showing improvements during UConn’s brutal summer sessions. Hurley said late last week that Carlton really struggled through the first five or so sessions, but has come alive recently. “He’s just like a baby, physically, right now,” Hurley noted. “The last 2 ½, three workouts, he’s starting to emerge and have an impact. (On Friday), he stood out. He was getting drilled early in the week, physically just kind of getting beat up. But he’s starting to get adjusted to the physicality and getting tougher and more active.”

And that’s exactly why Josh Carlton — with a little help from George Blaney — decided to return to UConn this season. “It’s a perfect time for Connecticut, a perfect time for Dan Hurley, and a perfect time for Josh,” said Blaney. “Everything is new. You can work with a guy who’s gonna really push you to be really good. He’s a terrific coach who knows what he’s doing and is completely committed to basketball. He’s gonna be a lifer.”<<
Sounds like Blaney might have been a 'plant' at Seton Hall. @Chief00?

Reaction Score
Hope Carlton is practicing a jumper, being an earth bound post player will only get him so far offensively.

I bet you'll be surprised at what he can do offensively if we actually glance inside once in awhile. He has two major positives - a big frame and fantastic instincts for keeping the ball high. Excited to see what he can do with some coaching.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t give a flying .... if he ever develops a jump shot.

He just needs to practice being 6’10, 260 and scoring/rebounding right around the rim.
Do you really think he can fill out to that size? I'd love it.
Last year he looked like such a teenager

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Eventually, yes.

He’s 245-ish now and he spent last year in a strength and conditioning program dedicated to producing veal calves in UConn uniforms.
He's got a nice frame. I just hope he buys into Alosi's S&C program.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He needs to be a force inside with rebounding and putbacks. The rest can come later, but UConn needs an inside presence badly.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Eventually, yes.

He’s 245-ish now and he spent last year in a strength and conditioning program dedicated to producing veal calves in UConn uniforms.
Don’t ever talk about Carlos that way again. @Chief00 set this man straight

Reaction Score
I bet you'll be surprised at what he can do offensively if we actually glance inside once in awhile. He has two major positives - a big frame and fantastic instincts for keeping the ball high. Excited to see what he can do with some coaching.
That's exactly what I noticed from the get go with Carlton. If he catches the ball down low he doesn't put it on the floor, like previous bigs in recent memory.

Reaction Score
The kids and fans were completely ripped off by KO these past few years. These articles are just as frustrating as they are encouraging.

It's pretty amazing what apparently was not stressed the last few years. The fact that in a few weeks most of the players are making pretty damning statements about rigor, expectations, coaching, etc. seems to just confirm all the rumors many (myself included) did not want to believe about KO.

Reaction Score
It's pretty amazing what apparently was not stressed the last few years. The fact that in a few weeks most of the players are making pretty damning statements about rigor, expectations, coaching, etc. seems to just confirm all the rumors many (myself included) did not want to believe about KO.

The 8 losses by 20 or more points last season should be a pretty good indicator of how dysfunctional things were. Hurley will have them competing harder and smarter this season, and that alone will be significant progress.

Reaction Score
I don’t give a flying .... if he ever develops a jump shot.

He just needs to practice being 6’10, 260 and scoring/rebounding right around the rim.

With more strength, size, and mobility Josh's low post skill set will emerge. In the rough and tumble world of the low post Josh needs to be a badder dude. Be more mentally and physically aggressive, and flat out tougher down there. Quicker and more assertive offensive moves will get him points and trips to the foul line. He's got some finesse and footwork to his game, but he's gotta play stronger.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Don’t ever talk about Carlos that way again. @Chief00 set this man straight

Carlos was here for like five minutes, I don't think bashing the S&C program is any kind of indictment on him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom