Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Polley and Carlton will both improve this year by virtue of the fact that they’re older and that dollar oyster night will no longer cut into instruction time.

Bold is very true
The rest is very Fishy

Reaction Score
More good stuff. Josh should have a nice jump from his freshman to sophomore year. I think Tyler Polley also, will be much better. Both of them were playing better the last third of the season or so.
Someone posted his freshman year stats compared to Emeka's freshman year stats. Pretty similar. I would like to see some defensive statistics. Emeka is a legend at UConn as we all know and he was a shot blocking king. Can Carlton develop into that?

Reaction Score
Someone posted his freshman year stats compared to Emeka's freshman year stats. Pretty similar. I would like to see some defensive statistics. Emeka is a legend at UConn as we all know and he was a shot blocking king. Can Carlton develop into that?
A thousand times no. That tweet is/was severely misleading.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's exactly what I noticed from the get go with Carlton. If he catches the ball down low he doesn't put it on the floor, like previous bigs in recent memory.

To be clear, I thought I'd elaborate.

1. Catching the ball. That, in itself, is a new skill not seen by recent UConn bigs.
2. Not putting the ball on the floor, another new skill. Prior bigs, who happened to get the ball high, would still bring it down an dribble it, in order to ensure that they didn't face the embarrassment provided by their inevitable missed layup.

Josh and others need to dunk the damned ball. He still needs to work on that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love the hints of anger and annoyance by this fan base at lack of fundamentals and intensity by the team over the past couple of years. Likewise, I like the energy around the suggestion that it is coming to an end.

If this year's team comes together and shows the intensity and focus that is being preached here, the fan base is going to explode. We are hungry for Husky basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If this year's team comes together and shows the intensity and focus that is being preached here, the fan base is going to explode. We are hungry for Husky basketball.

And part of that coming together relevant to a Carlton thread is building some trust and teamwork between the big men and the guards. I think some of those ill-chosen big man shots came from the feeling of "if I don't shoot now, I may never see the ball again." I think we all saw flashes of low-post scoring potential last year from Josh. I think they can build off that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To be clear, I thought I'd elaborate.

1. Catching the ball. That, in itself, is a new skill not seen by recent UConn bigs.
2. Not putting the ball on the floor, another new skill. Prior bigs, who happened to get the ball high, would still bring it down an dribble it, in order to ensure that they didn't face the embarrassment provided by their inevitable missed layup.

Josh and others need to dunk the damned ball. He still needs to work on that.

Happy if he learns to adroitly lay it in, as he's relatively earthbound in general. We've been missing someone who could do that.

Just as importantly, I want him to get that little jump hook from 3-5ft on lock. Long arms and good positioning will get you a lot of buckets that way.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Borges: Josh Carlton got some help from George Blaney in decision to stay with UConn men’s basketball team

>>As his son pondered his college basketball future a few months ago, James decided to give a call to his former coach to inquire about Hurley. “They were going through whether Josh should stay or go,” Blaney recalled. “I told him, ‘I know Danny and (assistant) Tommy Moore love Josh. Let me call them and see what they think.’” Hurley and Moore told Blaney they thought Carlton had great potential and could be a really good college player if he wanted to stay and work with them.<<

>>It seems Carlton is already showing improvements during UConn’s brutal summer sessions. Hurley said late last week that Carlton really struggled through the first five or so sessions, but has come alive recently. “He’s just like a baby, physically, right now,” Hurley noted. “The last 2 ½, three workouts, he’s starting to emerge and have an impact. (On Friday), he stood out. He was getting drilled early in the week, physically just kind of getting beat up. But he’s starting to get adjusted to the physicality and getting tougher and more active.”

And that’s exactly why Josh Carlton — with a little help from George Blaney — decided to return to UConn this season. “It’s a perfect time for Connecticut, a perfect time for Dan Hurley, and a perfect time for Josh,” said Blaney. “Everything is new. You can work with a guy who’s gonna really push you to be really good. He’s a terrific coach who knows what he’s doing and is completely committed to basketball. He’s gonna be a lifer.”<<
Great article, but I have one question maybe someone can offer an opinion. Which of our guys was physically beating Josh and where were they last year?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Carlos was gone in a few months - you can blame his predecessor and his successor. Sorry, I can’t get into why Carlos left.
Gag order?

Reaction Score
Carlos was here for like five minutes, I don't think bashing the S&C program is any kind of indictment on him.
No but it’s another indictment on KO that his hand picked S&C coach bailed on him before the season even started.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I hope this isnt an NCAA violation. Only half kidding.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No but it’s another indictment on KO that his hand picked S&C coach bailed on him before the season even started.

He left for an NBA job. He would've left any college program when he did.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

No, but he can be a very solid shot blocker for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom