Jordan Horston | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jordan Horston

Reaction Score
From the Tenn games I've watched over the last two years Holly's teams have played hard on offense and defense. So where is the lack of motivation? What her teams have lacked are discipline, and an offensive scheme that's more than "dump it into the post(s) and if that doesn't work you guys figure it out". This is opposed to good coaches like Geno, Walz, Muffet, Bruno and others who not only teach defense, but also the myriad of offensive variations off of every position, how to effectively run the break, how to play with pace in the offensive end etc. In other words their variations off of a motion offense. Most championship coaches are not only master motivators, but master innovators as well. Holly is not a bad coach. In fact, she's proven that she's a great recruiter. She'll just never be a coach that's capable of developing players and make them ready for the next level. She'll just never be a great coach that leads her teams to championships.

Holly is just trying to maintain the PS game plan. Pressure defense leading to turnovers, domination of the glass at both ends and opportunistic scoring. Trouble is Holly hasn't the "corn fed" front court players Pat had nor the scoring machine named Parker. Without Parker the LV's would have won their last NC in 1998. That's why Pat was so upset when she lost Maya.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Not much different from what MM did the year before when the Irish had a similar collapse in the 4th period at TBA.

Well, its not just the ND debacle, holly has lost a LOT of leads, especially in sec play since she has been the coach.

Lets just say uconn lands horsten, jones AND boston, in addition to griffin and the players they currently have..what team could honestly compete with that kind of group..maybe baylor or nd?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Listen to Dawn's statements about coaching the World Cup team. She said they gave the players the general idea's, and they took them to a new level. So Dawn has become a better coach being around Sue, Dee, and the other members of the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, its not just the ND debacle, holly has lost a LOT of leads, especially in sec play since she has been the coach.

Lets just say uconn lands horsten, jones AND boston, in addition to griffin and the players they currently have..what team could honestly compete with that kind of group..maybe baylor or nd?
I would also add Stanford to that list as long as Tara is still coaching, and also because Stanford last three recruiting classes have not been too shabby.

Curiosity question: TN has also had its fair share of good recruits, is it your position that TN will not be able to compete with UCONN regardless of how much talent Holly amasses?

Reaction Score

Lets just say uconn lands horsten, jones AND boston, in addition to griffin and the players they currently have..what team could honestly compete with that kind of group..maybe baylor or nd?[/QUOTE]

The games that look bad are the loses to teams like Alabama. I can't understand losing to talent-poor teams like that.

Over the course of a season, no one. But in a lose and go home tournament it's been shown that there are teams that can win one game against them. Teams like those you named and add in Miss St, Stanford, and IMO Oregon. In other words, well coached and motivated teams.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
curiosity question: TN has also had its fair share of good recruits, is it your position that TN will not be able to compete with UCONN regardless of how much talent Holly amasses?

Well, tennessee had 3 top ten recruits..diamond, mercedes and nared, to go along with a host of other top 40 hs players, but yet managed to fall out of the rankings several times and lose to unranked teams, alabama included!!. How does that even happen, unless there is an issue with player development, discipline and motivational issues with the coach..so, no i dont think tennessee can compete with uconn, at least at this current moment.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
The games that look bad are the loses to teams like Alabama. I can't understand losing to talent-poor teams like that.

Over the course of a season, no one. But in a lose and go home tournament it's been shown that there are teams that can win one game against them. Teams like those you named and add in Miss St, Stanford, and IMO Oregon. In other words, well coached and motivated teams.

Well boston would give uconn the height and shooting range they have been missing since dolson for sure and what i mean by that is a center being able to step out and shoot the three like dolson could

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well boston would give uconn the height and shooting range they have been missing since dolson for sure and what i mean by that is a center being able to step out and shoot the three like dolson could

Think Boston's shooting prowess is yet to be verified. She just started taking threes this past year. She's mostly a post-up player in the block.

Reaction Score
The games that look bad are the loses to teams like Alabama. I can't understand losing to talent-poor teams like that. . .

If that game at Tulane two years ago had lasted a minute or two longer, UConn
might have lost.

Something like that might happen to UConn once in a blue moon. It seems to happen
much more frequently to Holly's LVs.

Reaction Score
It's possible to be a great recruiter and not be a great coach. It's possible to be a great recruiter and not be even an above average coach. Holly W. may be somewhere in between.

And conversely, I think Nikki Fargas is a fine game coach but a terrible recruiter. Extremely odd. If she still wants to coach after LSU, she should consider the WNBA where I think she could be very successful.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
And conversely, I think Nikki Fargas is a fine game coach but a terrible recruiter. Extremely odd. If she still wants to coach after LSU, she should consider the WNBA where I think she could be very successful.

Completely agree about Fargas. I think she can coach. She has had some better than anticipated seasons at LSU. Recruiting i think at UCLA was easier because that school can recruit for you just by name. If she had an ace recruiter i think she could get over the SEC hump. And yes—i thought the same about the WNBA being a good spot for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Nikki should take a page from Dawn Staley's play book, and do as she did. Staley knew her recruiting skills were wanting, so she hired a proven master recruiter in Jolette Law.

Jolette Law’s and Dawn Staley’s plan to take South Carolina recruiting to next level.
When SC won the national championship two years ago, that earned her and her program admittance into the back room where only the elite teams hang out. She plans on staying there for a while. She does not plan on losing out on the nation's top recruits to the likes of UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame, Maryland, Tennessee, Oregon, Mississippi State, Duke, Texas, Louisville, Ohio State, Stanford, etc.

So, enter Jolette Law, a proven master recruiter. All of these programs compete for the same elite recruits every year. Staley wants to be a major player in the recruiting game. By hiring Law, she has done just that.

The next time you see an elite recruit's final list, notice the schools listed. All of them are MAJOR programs. Not one mid-major school on the list. Other than USF, UConn does not compete with any other AAC program for their recruits.

South Carolina basketball: Dawn Staley's recruiting approach

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Fargas has gone through five or six assistant coaches in her seven years at LSU and with the exception of Mickie DeMoss, none were noteworthy. Her former assistant Stacie Terry began having serious problems at SDSU and hired recruiting ace Kevin Morrison. Fargas's best friend is Tia Jackson who also had a reputation as being one of the best recruiters in the nation before her tarnished run as head coach of UW. But those kinds of choices were not made.

It's all probably academic anyways as her contract is up this season. LSU's AD tried to sneak in a contract extension but quickly backed away when the fan base complained.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
For those that mention Louisville in relation to Horston, that is not going to happen. Not sure when, where, or who lost interest, but that match isn’t happening. Perhaps when an official didn’t get scheduled, I don’t know. Was supposed to do an unofficial ( since the family is “close”, and she had 7 finalists) but that was never scheduled either. To my knowledge all the kids we are recruiting were on campus during the month of September. It is now a waiting game.

Reaction Score
Listen to Dawn's statements about coaching the World Cup team. She said they gave the players the general idea's, and they took them to a new level. So Dawn has become a better coach being around Sue, Dee, and the other members of the team.

frankly I think almost anybody familiar with the shape of a basketball could have "coached" that team to victory................I doubt that there's much Dawn could "teach" Sue or Diana at this point in their careers...........

Reaction Score
Back when Geno was in his first go-round as USA WBB HC he said that with the 12 players on the roster the HC before the 1st game in World Championships and Olympics says the HC prayer, "Please God don't let me "screw" this up!" He said the HC has the greatest players in the world and doesn't need to reinvent the wheel. They need discipline and organization and getting used to each other's moves and has a workable substitution plan! The available talent will win the Championship! No other country can substitute talent for talent as the USA can!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
frankly I think almost anybody familiar with the shape of a basketball could have "coached" that team to victory......I doubt that there's much Dawn could "teach" Sue or Diana at this point in their careers......
Does the name Anne Donovan (RIP) qualify as "almost anybody?

Reaction Score
Does the name Anne Donovan (RIP) qualify as "almost anybody?

obviously I was being facetious but yes I'm pretty confident that Ann Donovan (RIP) could have coached this team to victory.............do you believe otherwise?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Looks as if she has made her choice.

Reaction Score
Right along I have been thinking that Horston will pick Tennessee or South Carolina, something tells me that staying home may win out in the end. My final prediction is either Tennessee or Ohio State.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If it does happen a back court of Hortson, Westbrook, Green, and Massingill would be good. We will see tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom