2021 Recruiting: - Jordan Hawkins | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Jordan Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Several posters have mentioned that the staff is recruiting as if 2021 will be a 4-man class. I wonder if we’d still be in on any pure shooting guard prospects. We will have plenty of talent with Cole, Gaffney, Diggins, Jackson, Martin, Adams, and hopefully Hawkins, but they’re mainly point guards, combo guards, and wings.

However it pans out, we’re going to have a deep, talented, and versatile team.
Reading the tea leaves from some of our more informed posters.. If a fourth roster spot became available (assuming JH and SJ are on board for 2021).. Our 2021 roster would benefit from having another shooter

Reaction Score
Several posters have mentioned that the staff is recruiting as if 2021 will be a 4-man class. I wonder if we’d still be in on any pure shooting guard prospects. We will have plenty of talent with Cole, Gaffney, Diggins, Jackson, Martin, Adams, and hopefully Hawkins, but they’re mainly point guards, combo guards, and wings.

If Hawkins gets added to this class and a 4 man class occurs, people are speculating the last 2 spots would go to a stretch big (Samson Johnson seems to be the focus) and a grad transfer big. Think the GT big gives them roster flexibility depending on what happens with JB, so they wouldn’t have to commit a scholly until the spring/summer period. If JB comes back then that’d be huge, if not GT makes a lot of sense. It’d be a nice bridge to ‘22 where Clingan is the major focus.

If not, I’m all for Jaylen Blakes. Kinda reminds me of a jamal Crawford type guy. Microwave scorer, can fill it up, and has range. Not sure he’d even be considered if Hawkins commits here, I just like what I’ve seen from that kid. I’ll be keepin my eye out on where he ends up. Guessing however the focus on the next two commits would be for front court players with the departures of IW/JC.

Reaction Score
If Hawkins gets added to this class and a 4 man class occurs, people are speculating the last 2 spots would go to a stretch big (Samson Johnson seems to be the focus) and a grad transfer big. Think the GT big gives them roster flexibility depending on what happens with JB, so they wouldn’t have to commit a scholly until the spring/summer period. If JB comes back then that’d be huge, if not GT makes a lot of sense. It’d be a nice bridge to ‘22 where Clingan is the major focus.

If not, I’m all for Jaylen Blakes. Kinda reminds me of a jamal Crawford type guy. Microwave scorer, can fill it up, and has range. Not sure he’d even be considered if Hawkins commits here, I just like what I’ve seen from that kid. I’ll be keepin my eye out on where he ends up. Guessing however the focus on the next two commits would be for front court players with the departures of IW/JC.
I definitely agree that Johnson is, and should be, the focus once we hopefully lock up Hawkins. And I’ve seen others speculate about a grad transfer big. We could have Sanogo, Brown-Ferguson, Akok, Springs, and Johnson, with the option to play Martin at the 4 when we go small. I suppose I could see the case for a grad transfer big or a scoring guard. I’ll trust the staff’s decisions.

Reaction Score

With Akok/Sanogo/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs/Maybe SJ on 2021 roster.. Don't see a lot of minutes for a GT Big unless they were exceptional..Even then..I don't know.. Always can use shooters.. All fun speculation right now.. Need our two targets to come on board and the 2020 season to play out before we truly know about roster openings for 2021..IMO...Talent and roster depth is no longer an issue in Storrs..

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
From his highlights, I love Hawkins' athleticism, shooting, and defense. Scouting reports and quotes from articles all seem to agree.

Obviously, no one misses in highlight videos, so everyone appears to be a good shooter, but his stroke looks really nice... reliable and smooth.

He does have a bad habit of bringing the ball too low when starting his shooting motion.

Once the staff helps him fix that, it will shorten his release and he'll be really formidable from range... which is exactly what this team (and 2021 class) needs.

Reaction Score
I definitely agree that Johnson is, and should be, the focus once we hopefully lock up Hawkins. And I’ve seen others speculate about a grad transfer big. We could have Sanogo, Brown-Ferguson, Akok, Springs, and Johnson, with the option to play Martin at the 4 when we go small. I suppose I could see the case for a grad transfer big or a scoring guard. I’ll trust the staff’s decisions.
With Akok/Sanogo/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs/Maybe SJ on 2021 roster.. Don't see a lot of minutes for a GT Big unless they were exceptional..Even then..I don't know.. Always can use shooters.. All fun speculation right now.. Need our two targets to come on board and the 2020 season to play out before we truly know about roster openings for 2021..
A lot may ride on this new transfer rule going through for ‘21 as well. If that happens there could be a flurry of movement next spring, could allow us to get a really talented player on the transfer market. Prolly makes sense to have some flexibility and an open scholly to jump a talented player that comes available.

Reaction Score
With Akok/Sanogo/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs/Maybe SJ on 2021 roster.. Don't see a lot of minutes for a GT Big unless they were exceptional..Even then..I don't know.. Always can use shooters.. All fun speculation right now.. Need our two targets to come on board and the 2020 season to play out before we truly know about roster openings for 2021..
I’m torn between not wanting to get ahead of myself and wanting to speculate endlessly because I don’t have much else to do.

A grad transfer big could just be a role player. Maybe not David Onuorah or Eric Cobb types, but someone who is clearly a bench piece just in case our young bigs need time to develop. If Bouk is gone, we could aim high if we’re looking for a SG, although I don’t know who we realistically have a shot at. Maybe we already have all the backcourt pieces we need.

Reaction Score
From his highlights, I love Hawkins' athleticism, shooting, and defense. Scouting reports and quotes from articles all seem to agree.

Obviously, no one misses in highlight videos, but his stroke looks good, really smooth. He does have a bad habit of bringing the ball too low when starting his shooting motion. Once the staff helps him fix that, it will shorten his release and he'll be really formidable from range... which is exactly what this team (and 2021 class) needs.

I noticed the super low dip too. Very similar Ray Allen's actually. Ray dips lower than most shooters... people usually don't realize that. Ray is the best comp for a uconn player imo

Reaction Score
A lot may ride in this new transfer rule going through for ‘21 as well. If that happens there could be a flurry of movement next spring, could allow us to get a really talented player on the non transfer market. Prolly makes sense to have some flexibility and an open scholly to jump a talented player that comes available.
Excellent point. I’m perfectly content locking up Hawkins and Johnson and then seeing what happens.

Reaction Score
Several posters have mentioned that the staff is recruiting as if 2021 will be a 4-man class. I wonder if we’d still be in on any pure shooting guard prospects.
Given the Bouk and Clingan situations a GT makes so much sense.

If we get PG, SG, and PF in this class that leaves either another W or a C. have to see how this season plays out of course but looks like we’ll have fewer question marks on the W than at C in 2021:

PG- Cole, Gaffney, Diggins
W- AJ, Hawkins, Martin, Adams
PF- Akok, Springs, Johnson
C- Sanogo, Brown

springs can play some C but gaffney gonna be splitting his time off ball too

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

How is he not a pure SG prospect? 6'4" is pretty ideal for the position. Especially when we just brought in a small PG.

I really like the way Hurley builds rosters. The players seem to provide some multi position flexibility and compliment each other. We can throw out lineups to play almost any style right now, and with the guys coming in that should be he case in the future as well. Big guards, forwards with ball skills, guys who can defend all over.

Reaction Score
How is he not a pure SG prospect? 6'4" is pretty ideal for the position. Especially when we just brought in a small PG.

I really like the way Hurley builds rosters. The players seem to provide some multi position flexibility and compliment each other. We can throw out lineups to play almost any style right now, and with the guys coming in that should be he case in the future as well. Big guards, forwards with ball skills, guys who can defend all over.
I’m only basing this off of the fact that Hawkins has been described as more of a 3 and D guy than a ballhandler right now. I think he’ll probably be a SG or the third guard in a three-guard lineup, but I have a lot of time on my hands, hence the post

The only other reason I asked is because we’re apparently recruiting for four spots, and I don’t think we’d be recruiting for another big right now besides Johnson.

I also love Hurley’s roster-building. We’ll be able to play different lineups based on matchups with all of our talented, interchangeable parts.

Reaction Score
Given the Bouk and Clingan situations a GT makes so much sense.

we already got a PG, SG, and probably a PF in this class so that leaves either another W or a C. have to see how this season plays out of course but looks like we’ll have fewer question marks on the W than at C in 2021:

PG- Cole, Gaffney, Diggins
W- AJ, Hawkins, Martin, Adams
PF- Akok, Springs, Johnson
C- Sanogo, Brown

springs can play some C but gaffney gonna be splitting his time off ball too

A GT big would make a lot sense, especially if Gaffney can play off the ball and Jackson improves his shooting. A benefit of waiting is the staff can use the 2020-2021 season (hopefully) identify needs for 2021-2022.

Reaction Score
Anotha one
61417641-5A8B-4AE4-B1FA-E85F26A3D423.jpeg

Reaction Score

Agree with you on roster building and positional flexibility.. Guess I'm old school in one respect..Don't see all SGs being able to handle SF's positional physicality requirements....And don't see all SFs having the ball skills/fluid shooting to be SGs....So when someone uses the term "wing".. I believe its the player that can play both positions proficiently that is a "wing".. I guess in a three guard offense ..The third guard is a wing..Eye ball test (before weight/strength training) suggests to me that JH is a SG coming into college..All good.. Let's get him on board..

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's not a reliable ball-handler or playmaker yet, and mostly plays SF (or even some very small-ball PF) on the circuit.

He projects long-term as a SG, but he's not one yet and probably won't be one until at least a year in Hurley's system.

Reaction Score
So when someone uses the term "wing".. I believe its the player that can play both positions proficiently that is a "wing".. I guess in a three guard offense ..
Wing doesn’t imply ball handling skills to me. If you’re not a pure PG but have PG skills than you’re a CG or point forward. A wing just starts most offensive sets on the “wing” unless you’re a stretch Big man

Reaction Score
Do you see his college position as a SG or SF?? AJ and Tyrese seem more like "natural" wings.. Any way you cut it..Would be nice to have that trio rotating in and out of the SG/SF slots..Could easily see him putting on muscle/adding strength after a year or two in UConn's Strength Program

I see him as a pure 2 but can play other positions in small ball lineups

Reaction Score
He's not a reliable ball-handler or playmaker yet, and mostly plays SF (or even some very small-ball PF) on the circuit.

He projects long-term as a SG, but he's not one yet and probably won't be one until at least a year in Hurley's system.
He knows this too. I listened to an interview with Hawkins where he said colleges are projecting him as a combo guard so the number one thing he said he needs to work on is his ball handling.

Reaction Score
Wing doesn’t imply ball handling skills to me. If you’re not a pure PG but have PG skills than you’re a CG or point forward. A wing just starts most offensive sets on the “wing” unless you’re a stretch Big man
Serious question..My last wing question..Not bustin'.. Did you consider Rip/Ray wings or SGs??Now back to Jordan's announcement..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom