Jones and Boston to visit UConn together | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jones and Boston to visit UConn together

Reaction Score
Obviously, you are not familiar with my reference. UConn steadfastly refuses to participate in this growing trend to outfit and photograph recruits in team uniforms. In the past Geno has made it very clear that you earn the right to wear a UConn Husky uniform by your effort in practice, in the classroom and by your attitude as a teammate.

It is my sincere hope that Haley Jones and Aliyah Boston will both earn their right to wear a UConn uniform at 1st night, on October 2019 in Storrs, CT.

And that’s fine. If the right to wear a jersey needs to be earned, why sell them through the bookstore? Does the football team also require that the right to wear a jersey is something that needs to be earned? It seems like UCONN goes out of the way to make it difficult to be a fan.

Reaction Score
And that’s fine. If the right to wear a jersey needs to be earned, why sell them through the bookstore? Does the football team also require that the right to wear a jersey is something that needs to be earned? It seems like UCONN goes out of the way to make it difficult to be a fan.

Did you actually go to ND ?

Reaction Score
Did you actually go to ND ?

Does it matter. ND wants people to feel a part of their teams, whether they went there or not. They encourage people to wear their uniforms, and support the school. You don’t have to earn “the right” to support Notre Dame.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m really not sure what point you’re trying to make. Purchasing a team jersey at a book store is the exact opposite of earning a uniform by hard work and effort.

I have no problem with fans paying $119 for a uniform in support of their team. I do have a problem with high school recruits showing up on campus for a recruiting visit, only to be ushered into a photo-op to be outfitted like some kind of prize racehorse.

Evidently, Haley Jones feels the same way I do. UConn may or may not secure a commitment from Ms Jones. But her poise, articulate ability and maturity beyond her years not to be swayed by recruiting gimmicks has earned my supreme respect.

Reaction Score
I’m really not sure what point you’re trying to make. Purchasing a team jersey at a book store is the exact opposite of earning a uniform by hard work and effort.

I have no problem with fans paying $119 for a uniform in support of their team. I do have a problem with high school recruits showing up on campus for a recruiting visit, only to be ushered into a photo-op to be outfitted like some kind of prize racehorse.

Evidently, Haley Jones feels the same way I do. UConn may or may not secure a commitment from Ms Jones. But her poise, articulate ability and maturity beyond her years not to be swayed by recruiting gimmicks has earned my supreme respect.

And that’s fine, I hope she goes to UCONN and has a great career. If she doesn’t want to be seen in an ND jersey, I don’t want to see her in one. It seems like we agree here. Neither of us want to see her at ND, and both of us are OK with her going to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Just saw tweet by rauol. Haley Jones has Stanford official visit this weekend. Does that mean UConn gets last?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just saw tweet by rauol. Haley Jones has Stanford official visit this weekend. Does that mean UConn gets last?
It certainly looks that way. Always better to have the last at bat.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It certainly looks that way. Always better to have the last at bat.

Haley recently stated in an article that her final visit will be the “second week in November”.

Both Haley Jones and Aliyah Boston still have to visit South Carolina. Boston visits us the weekend of 10/25, perhaps Jones visits then too, perhaps not. If Haley is indeed visiting UConn the weekend of 11/4 with Boston then Jones’ final visit has to be either South Carolina or Oregon.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Haley recently stated in an article that her final visit will be the “second week in November”.

Both Haley Jones and Aliyah Boston still have to visit South Carolina. Boston visits us the weekend of 10/25, perhaps Jones visits then too, perhaps not. If Haley is indeed visiting UConn the weekend of 11/4 with Boston then Jones’ final visit has to be either South Carolina or Oregon.
I appreciate the update. I must say that I have always felt that Jones decision will come down to UConn or Stanford. But what do I know?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Haley recently stated in an article that her final visit will be the “second week in November”. Both Haley Jones and Aliyah Boston still have to visit South Carolina. Boston visits us the weekend of 10/25, perhaps Jones visits then too, perhaps not. If Haley is indeed visiting UConn the weekend of 11/4 with Boston then Jones’ final visit has to be either South Carolina or Oregon.
Technically no, neither player has to visit SC. Regarding Stanford and Haley Jones, Stanford will get the last visit (unofficial) by default because she only a few miles from that campus. Regardless of the sequence of official visit if Haley is still undecided she could hop in the car and drive to Stanford. Haley would have to get on a plane to come back to SC or UCONN and pay her own money to do so. UCONN has a similar advantage with Boston since she lives 45 miles from the UCONN campus=same distance Haley is from the Stanford Campus.

Reaction Score
uhhhhhhhhhhhh..kidding.....

It was a ND fan who, (before Jones' ND visit), stated that recruits not wearing the uni for a picture should be eliminated from consideration. You were perfectly OK with reminding us of it.

Reaction Score
It was a ND fan who, (before Jones' ND visit), stated that recruits not wearing the uni for a picture should be eliminated from consideration. You were perfectly OK with reminding us of it.

that's what I thought..............I think any player who does that should be applauded............

Reaction Score

Honestly, I don't think South Carolina is going to get an official visit from either Jones or Boston.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think South Carolina is going to get an official visit from either Jones or Boston.
I’m not so sure. If you hope to some day make the US National team, it’s not a bad idea to get to know the US HC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m not so sure. If you hope to some day make the US National team, it’s not a bad idea to get to know the US HC.
True but Haley has already made an unofficial visit to SC on her own dime and Dawn was been in Haley's house (twice?). Assuming she has narrowed down her choices (I'm not saying that is the case) I think the respectful thing to do would be to let Dawn know early rather than smiling through an official visit and having to turn around a few days later and call Dawn with bad news. BTW Dawn seriously needs to land some quality top recruits like right now for the future of that program.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True but Haley has already made an unofficial visit to SC on her own dime and Dawn was been in Haley's house (twice?). Assuming she has narrowed down her choices (I'm not saying that is the case) I think the respectful thing to do would be to let Dawn know early rather than smiling through an official visit and having to turn around a few days later and call Dawn with bad news. BTW Dawn seriously needs to land some quality top recruits like right now for the future of that program.
A point well taken. As for the Gamecocks, I agree that they have yet to replace their once in a generation player and 4 top 10 draft choices over the past 2 years. If they don't, they risk falling behind MS St and TN in the SEC long term.

Reaction Score
A point well taken. As for the Gamecocks, I agree that they have yet to replace their once in a generation player and 4 top 10 draft choices over the past 2 years. If they don't, they risk falling behind MS St and TN in the SEC long term.

Not to worry about that. Dawn is the Olympics coach. When Geno was the Olympics coach, recruits came in drove and he won 4 Nats. The Olympics will do the recruiting for SC.

Reaction Score

Dawn is the 2020 coach. Aint no way they're making the 2020 Olympics.
Even if she returns in 2024, it is unlikely that a 2023 grad makes the team.

Realistically, their hopes are for 2028 or 2032. Doubtful Dawn would be coach then.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dawn is the 2020 coach. Aint no way they're making the 2020 Olympics.
Even if she returns in 2024, it is unlikely that a 2023 grad makes the team.

Realistically, their hopes are for 2028 or 2032. Doubtful Dawn would be coach then.
Your argument is logical. But Geno may well have benefited from being the U.S. national team coach when it came to recruiting. I seem to recall that Mo listed that as a factor in her decision to leave TX and head to Storrs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm with You Orangutan! The waiting is the killer. It's a long dull painful experience while the final answer is either joyful or a short-term excruciating pain that we'll get through eventually.

We go through this every year. Why? Why do the most coveted recruits like to stretch out their recruiting experience, and wait until the 11th hour before they reveal their choice of schools?

As a fan, other than your team entering the second weekend in the post season tournament, this (for some) is one of the most excruciating and stressful times of the year. :confused:

I remember this time last year when UConn was still waiting for their first verbal after having the rug pulled out from under them by Charli Collier. There were a few yarders that wandered if UConn was going to swing and miss on the 2018 class. It was 10;45 pm, and no verbals had been received yet. Then Williams and ONO (thank goodness) came through and verbaled at 11:59 pm. :)

I’m looking for a repeat of last year, as Jones and Boston commit to UConn moments before the early signing period begins November 14. 90% of the 2019 class has already verbally committed.

It would not surprise me if Boston announces her decision in mid November when her team is in the Virgin Islands for a tournament the exact same time UConn will be there for the Paradise Jam - Nov 22-24 vs Ole' Miss, St. Johns & Purdue.

She could not ask for a better stage/platform for her reveal. Don’t forget, she’s from the Virgin Islands. A rare opportunity to announce your decision in the presence of the team you’re committing to, and in front of numerous family and friends that live there. She’s already said that she will announce her decision on her way home from that tournament.

UConn’s tournament goes 1-2 days beyond her’s. Technically after the buzzer sounds in her last game, she’s on her way home. Something to think about. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We go through this every year. Why? Why do the most coveted recruits like to stretch out their recruiting experience, and wait until the 11th hour before they reveal their choice of schools.

Other than your team entering the second weekend in the postseason tournament, this (for some) is one of the most excruciating times of the year.

I remember this time last year when UConn was still waiting for their first verbal after having the rug pulled out from under them by Charli Collier. There were a few yarders that wandered if UConn was going to swing and miss on a 2018 class. Then Williams and ONO csme to the rescue at 11:59 pm.

I’m looking for a repeat of last year, as Jones and Boston commit to UConn moments before the early signing period begins November 14. 90% of the 2019 class has already had their reveals.
UCONN only fishes in the deep end of the recruiting pond. 6 of the 10 biggest fishes (per ESPN) in the 2019 pond remain unsigned. A repeat of last year for UCONN is not only still possible, it is probable.

Reaction Score
We go through this every year. Why? Why do the most coveted recruits like to stretch out their recruiting experience, and wait until the 11th hour before they reveal their choice of schools.

How dare 17 year old girls inconvenience a bunch of 50-90 year old fans!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom