John Adams from GoVolsXtra | The Boneyard

John Adams from GoVolsXtra

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
One of the least favorite writers in Tennessee when it comes to anything Lady Vol.

Most refuse to read him.

He seems pretty realistic to me.

End of a Dynasty?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My first reaction was "what - another Tennessee thread"? ;) but seriously, there is so much of interest going on there at this point that articles like this are newsworthy...

The next regular season could be as jolting as an early-tournament exit. UT has lost five seniors, including two who were among the top-four picks in the recent WNBA draft. Moreover, two of its best returning players — Taber Spani (knee) and Cierra Burdick (back) — have health issues.

Whatever happens next season could be overshadowed by what happens with the 2013 recruiting class. If the Lady Vols can land a top class, that would be a huge achievement in a transitional year. It also would be a strong indicator that the program can eventually return to the Final Four and compete for championships.

I heard about Burdick's back issues (i think they are recent?) but isn't Spani back to 100%? or at least working on getting there? she's not had a setback has she? anyway, there's a ton of pressure on them to land a couple top kids, and not just top 10, but top 1 or 2, for 2013. There's a pretty big difference between 98 ratings for KML and Williams vs. 96 ratings for even the #3 and 4 kids in the class.

why, you ask? because the coaches at Tenn haven't shown they can win with #3 Johnson, #8 Stricklen, #2 Baugh, and top 10 kids (by some) Spani, Simmons, Burdick and Massengale. they haven't landed a Charles, Moore, EDD, Griner, Bone, Diggins, Ogwumike (x2), Gray (Duke), Simms, Thomas (MD), KML, E Williams, Stewart, Jefferson, or Tuck. That IMHO is part of the problem.

Getting a "top rated" class isn't the issue IMHO. they've had that. they need game changers. a couple of true stars and they haven't had that since Parker.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds objective to me. No orange Kool Aid.

The 2013 class is critical. They need a top 5 recruiting class or better. Basically, they cannot afford to lose Kaela Davis and need to add other top 10s. I think they have an uphill battle because of Pat's situation, but I'm not counting them out yet. I'll know better by the November signing period at the latest.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is the end of a dynasty. Look at their roster. If they dont get some commits they might not field a roster of AAs. They have been struggleing for a few years and now with Pats announcement its going to get tuffer. Micki and Pat were the recruiters. Micki left and Pat is ill and in time will not be back. Whos left or should I say Whos Next. It wont get better at Tenn until it gets worse and it time if the administation waits to long it might be to late.

Reaction Score
My first reaction was "what - another Tennessee thread"? ;) but seriously, there is so much of interest going on there at this point that articles like this are newsworthy...

Getting a "top rated" class isn't the issue IMHO. they've had that. they need game changers. a couple of true stars and they haven't had that since Parker.

I think you'll see many TN threads over the next year because they are on the cusp of a potential cataclysmic event and everyone wants to watch to see how it unfolds. Will there be a volcanic eruption or will disaster be averted? Kind of our own basketball Mt. St. Helens. So many back stories too. Pat's health, recruiting, Holly, the other coaches, the feud with Geno, the amusing fans. It's a veritable soap opera. So yes, I expect the interest and threads to continue, but if the dynasty continues to crumble as John Adams discusses, and TN ends up among the also-rans, the orange threads will be about as frequent here as Mount St. Helens discussions.

Reaction Score
Yeah--remember Mount St. Helen's? Hadn't thought about that one in quite a while. I was living in NYC when it blew up.

Reaction Score
The UConn men's team is facing a similar issue although in slower motion. Transitions from legendary coaches will never be easy.

Reaction Score
I guess from a positive perspective for UT, all it takes is one DeShields or Mercedes R. to change their fortunes..... but now, they are a DeSoto.... a good reliable thing, while everybody is speeding past them in the express lane

Reaction Score
I guess from a positive perspective for UT, all it takes is one DeShields or Mercedes R. to change their fortunes..... but now, they are a DeSoto.... a good reliable thing, while everybody is speeding past them in the express lane
DeSoto, you must be seriously old.....

Reaction Score
.... but now, they are a DeSoto....
At least you could have picked a vintage car made in Tennessee as an example, but I don't think there were any. In Connecticut there was the Locomobile (Made in Bridgeport), that might be appropriate.:)

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
One of the least favorite writers in Tennessee when it comes to anything Lady Vol.

Most refuse to read him.

He seems pretty realistic to me.

End of a Dynasty?

I found the comments on the Adams article hilarious and worthy of a certain other board

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The UConn men's team is facing a similar issue although in slower motion. Transitions from legendary coaches will never be easy.
Im more interested in that story

Reaction Score
Ian Rambler, I think he was that announcer who just went on and on about nothing.
Yes I remember him. He would go on and on. Especially when he talked about the Phoenix Suns point guard Steve whats his name.

JS

Reaction Score
Especially when he talked about the Phoenix Suns point guard Steve whats his name.
Yeah, especially Steve's tendency to walk with the ball. Biggest traveler since Henry Hudson.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think you'll see many TN threads over the next year because they are on the cusp of a potential cataclysmic event and everyone wants to watch to see how it unfolds.
People love to watch wrecks. Especially when it's your sworn enemy wrecking. Personally I'd like to see them fall out of the top 25.........but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
People love to watch wrecks. Especially when it's your sworn enemy wrecking. Personally I'd like to see them fall out of the top 25.........but I doubt that's gonna happen.
Do you really feel like the Lady Vols are your "sworn enemy"?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do you really feel like the Lady Vols are your "sworn enemy"?
Yes, absolutely. If you don't have sworn enemies in sports, what's the point?

Reaction Score
At least you could have picked a vintage car made in Tennessee as an example, but I don't think there were any. In Connecticut there was the Locomobile (Made in Bridgeport), that might be appropriate.:)
Oh!, I love my Locomobible, it has a steam engine & only requires water. With todays' prices, all I have to find is a water hose & not a gasoline hose. " A real hosing"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom