John A. on Wilson | Page 7 | The Boneyard

John A. on Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
"Is there SC WBB Forum? If so, frankly, I could never see myself posting there, hijacking forum threads to extol the virtues of UCONN, Geno, the team talent, and all the NC's. Just saying...
Unless a poster has a subterranean agenda…"

Please respond to this...

There is a South Carolina basketball forum on Cockytalk, which includes discussion of both the men's and women's teams. There is likewise a basketball recruiting forum. There are several other message boards that don't have specific basketball forums.

That said, A'ja really can't go wrong at any of her 4 final choices. As stated above, the Gamecocks have not beaten any current top ten teams this season, so we don't yet know how good they are. I will say they're better this season than I expected, with such a young team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
SC is going all out to get A'ja this weekend on her official visit. They're giving away free Neon T Shirts, Free Food for Students & Double Points for Students to those in attendance at the SC vs Missouri game on Sunday. Don't know what Double points means, but probably has something to do with getting football or elite event tickets. They'll probably have a big crowd.

Also lately I've seen a uptick on Dawn's twitter account with lots of retweets about their program. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't someone in the AD department that's doing the retweets.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
SC is going all out to get A'ja this weekend on her official visit. They're giving away free Neon T Shirts, Free Food for Students & Double Points for Students to those in attendance at the SC vs Missouri game on Sunday. Don't know what Double points means, but probably has something to do with getting football or elite event tickets. They'll probably have a big crowd.

Also lately I've seen a uptick on Dawn's twitter account with lots of retweets about their program. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't someone in the AD department that's doing the retweets.

That is correct; we're hoping to break our all-time record women's crowd, which was approximately 17,700.

Reaction Score
Well, that's partly true. UNC restricts out of state freshman enrollment to 18% - which is low compared to most comparable universities and drives up the admissions standards for that portion of the applicant pool. However, that also creates a loophole. Because the in-state admissions standards are significantly lower, NC students tend to leave in higher numbers after their freshman year. Guess who fills many of those slots? That's right - out of state transfers. We know someone who was not admitted as a freshman but was counseled by a contact in admissions to try again as a transfer when it would be easier. Sure enough, after a year at USC (the East Coast version) she successfully transferred to Chapel Hill.
So I can be stupider if I enroll as a softmoore. :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I apologize...I guess I have probably over-extended my boundaries, but I wasn't intending to be negative or slighting towards UConn, only wishing to provide some info on why Wilson might be interested in choosing anywhere else other than UConn (in this case, anywhere else being South Carolina). It seems like from several posts here, that if Wilson didn't choose UConn and only UConn, then she'd be making the greatest mistake of her life. I'll back down now...

Are there any other UConn msg boards for recruiting that I can be directed towards that would be more welcoming to discussion from other team fans?

Thank you for your interest in UConn USC basketball.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I think I can help with this. It is a well-known fact that A'ja's closest friend (and confidant) at school is the prettiest and most popular girl there, a girl named Ma'Arva. In fact, Ma'Arva was homecoming queen last fall. Ma'Arva has a younger sister named Sha'Aron, who is dating a classmate of A'ja's named Lawrence. Lawrence's mother is a dental hygienist who works in the office of a distant cousin of mine in Beaufort, SC. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but my cousin (Melvin) shared with me that Lawrence's mother (Sadie) shared with him (Melvin) the fact that A'ja told Ma'Arva (who then shared it with Sha'ron who, in turn, told Lawrence) that she (A'ja) had kind of a crush on a freshman football player at South Carolina named Henry. Anyway, Henry putatively doesn't care for Steve Spurrier and is thinking of transferring out, but, for the moment, remains put. Hope this clarifies matters.

Hahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha........................ Excellent Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what makes SC the wonderful state that it is... Everything is interrelated...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think I can help with this. It is a well-known fact that A'ja's closest friend (and confidant) at school is the prettiest and most popular girl there, a girl named Ma'Arva. In fact, Ma'Arva was homecoming queen last fall. Ma'Arva has a younger sister named Sha'Aron, who is dating a classmate of A'ja's named Lawrence. Lawrence's mother is a dental hygienist who works in the office of a distant cousin of mine in Beaufort, SC. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but my cousin (Melvin) shared with me that Lawrence's mother (Sadie) shared with him (Melvin) the fact that A'ja told Ma'Arva (who then shared it with Sha'ron who, in turn, told Lawrence) that she (A'ja) had kind of a crush on a freshman football player at South Carolina named Henry. Anyway, Henry putatively doesn't care for Steve Spurrier and is thinking of transferring out, but, for the moment, remains put. Hope this clarifies matters.
Maybe Henry should transfer and play Uconn football. That would solve the
potential problem.

Reaction Score

From an article about USC's home win vs. Missouri today:

Missouri (14-8, 3-6) cut a 23-point halftime deficit to 73-60 in the final two minutes. But South Carolina proved too tall, too strong and too fast to overcome. The Gamecocks 6-foot-4 forwards in Alaina Coates and Elem Ibiam combined for 23 points, 11 rebounds and seven blocks. And the strong performance all took place with the nation's top recruit, Columbia's A'ja Wilson watching with her family behind the bench.

Probably trying to convince Aja that she will play her preferred position at the wing at USC, because she will have a lot of good post presence to support her, which does not even mention the nation's top post recruit Jatarie WHITE coming alongside her.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wonder what some would be saying if UConn or even the Lady Vols had the #1 Recruit on an official visit and the recruit was from CT or Tenn and the schools give out free t-shirts that say "There's No Place Like Home". Also during the game, the crowd erupts in chants, "We Want A'ja"

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its obvious USC is almost begging to get Wilson which makes me think do they really have the lead for her. Ploys like this are great for the ego and its a lot of hype, but when it comes down to it can they win a NC or just compete for one. It also tells me that she may not really know where she wants to go and that's why USC is pulling out all stops. Those of us who have been around for awhile and have seen what coaches do to get kids to come to their school know these things don't work. Bottom like is what can you do for me? Can you win a NC or just compete? Can you dominate your conference or are you going to compete? What is it that you can give me besides playtime.

I have heard from people that they think she wants to stay close to home. If that was the case imo she would've already committed to stay home and USC wouldn't be hyping her. One thing I do know. At UConn you get the entire package. Why try to build something when its already built. Geno built it and Geno has everything to offer. Why try to reinvent the wheel by going somewhere where you have to start from scratch. That's like Geno leaving UConn and going to some small school and starting all over again. Its all here at UConn. It is a program built for winners and to make winners better. UConn is a personal development center with basketball attached. You become a better person in life as well as becoming the best you can be at basketball if you want it. Its all here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If that is what makes the difference then UCONN is not for her anyway. Staying home is one thing, being swayed by the over the top gimmicked adulation without having done any of the work yet is an entirely different one.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think with the record that South Carolina has so far this year, Dawn can easily make the case that A'ja is the missing piece for South Carolina to win a National Championship. Also South Carolina already has players that can play the post, which would enable A'ja to play the wing, which from reports is what she wants to play in College. I'll be surprised if A'ja doesn't announce for South Carolina when the times right for her. I also believe A'ja is a missing piece for UConn as well, as more size is urgently needed over the next couple of years.

Its obvious USC is almost begging to get Wilson which makes me think do they really have the lead for her. Ploys like this are great for the ego and its a lot of hype, but when it comes down to it can they win a NC or just compete for one. It also tells me that she may not really know where she wants to go and that's why USC is pulling out all stops. Those of us who have been around for awhile and have seen what coaches do to get kids to come to their school know these things don't work. Bottom like is what can you do for me? Can you win a NC or just compete? Can you dominate your conference or are you going to compete? What is it that you can give me besides playtime.

I have heard from people that they think she wants to stay close to home. If that was the case imo she would've already committed to stay home and USC wouldn't be hyping her. One thing I do know. At UConn you get the entire package. Why try to build something when its already built. Geno built it and Geno has everything to offer. Why try to reinvent the wheel by going somewhere where you have to start from scratch. That's like Geno leaving UConn and going to some small school and starting all over again. Its all here at UConn. It is a program built for winners and to make winners better. UConn is a personal development center with basketball attached. You become a better person in life as well as becoming the best you can be at basketball if you want it. Its all here.

Reaction Score
I think with the record that South Carolina has so far this year, Dawn can easily make the case that A'ja is the missing piece for South Carolina to win a National Championship. Also South Carolina already has players that can play the post, which would enable A'ja to play the wing, which from reports is what she wants to play in College. I'll be surprised if A'ja doesn't announce for South Carolina when the times right for her. I also believe A'ja is a missing piece for UConn as well, as more size is urgently needed over the next couple of years.

If Wilson does in fact choose South Carolina I think UCONN will be just fine in the future. I think that the combination of Stokes, Stewart, and hopefully Tuck can handle the post next year. If UCONN can land Kalani Brown or another blue chip center in the 2015 class then the Huskies will be in great shape going forward for the next 4 years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't want any player swayed by the adulation of a bunch of measly fans (unless it's us of course :)
I have never known UCONN to use that type of manufactured gimmickry.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
ND is doing fine with a post player under 6'4. Much like UConn they play team ball and have a great passing game. They execute plays and are unselfish. If we get Wilson great and if we don't we move on. I will say this. It doesn't matter how much height opponents have. What matters is that they can execute a game plan on both sides of the ball. UConn and ND do that very well. Take a look at the top teams and how many are struggling with all their talent and height. UConn and ND aren't. The reason is they know how to play the game...team game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
One I'm concerned that Morgan may never be the player Geno and staff were hoping for. She might end up like Brittany Hunter having very few great/good games and be a role player because of the minutes she is able to play. For Morgan's sake, I'm hoping she's able to comeback completely healthy and be the player she's supposed to be. No matter what happens, Morgan is a great teammate and will contribute anyway she can.

UConn next year, will have 3 players on their roster 6'2" or taller if we exclude A'ja. One being Morgan which I wrote about above. Stewie and Kiah should start which only leaves a questionable Morgan off the bench. Definitely not a good situation. In Contrast ND will have 5 players on their roster with one of them being Brianna Turner one of the Top Recruits. ND is in great shape, especially considering they run a three guard offense.

One I'm hoping that A'ja signs with UConn as from all accounts she's a great player and she fills a definite need. However if she doesn't sign then Geno has serious depth problems in the front court. I don't think a team can win a National Championship with only three players 6'2" and one being questionable. The only help I can see Geno getting next year is if there was a 5th year senior or a JUCO player that would meet his requirements. Don't know if there's any Foreign Players that would be available. He's been reluctant in the past to go that route, but would it be for the best if he did next year. A player like Heather Buck would definitely help next year.

If Wilson does in fact choose South Carolina I think UCONN will be just fine in the future. I think that the combination of Stokes, Stewart, and hopefully Tuck can handle the post next year. If UCONN can land Kalani Brown or another blue chip center in the 2015 class then the Huskies will be in great shape going forward for the next 4 years.
ND is doing fine with a post player under 6'4. Much like UConn they play team ball and have a great passing game. They execute plays and are unselfish. If we get Wilson great and if we don't we move on. I will say this. It doesn't matter how much height opponents have. What matters is that they can execute a game plan on both sides of the ball. UConn and ND do that very well. Take a look at the top teams and how many are struggling with all their talent and height. UConn and ND aren't. The reason is they know how to play the game...team game.

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Wbb…frankly, I think you just used “concern” to once again try to rain on the UCONN parade.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One I'm concerned that Morgan may never be the player Geno and staff were hoping for. She might end up like Brittany Hunter having very few great/good games and be a role player because of the minutes she is able to play. For Morgan's sake, I'm hoping she's able to comeback completely healthy and be the player she's supposed to be. No matter what happens, Morgan is a great teammate and will contribute anyway she can.

UConn next year, will have 3 players on their roster 6'2" or taller if we exclude A'ja. One being Morgan which I wrote about above. Stewie and Kiah should start which only leaves a questionable Morgan off the bench. Definitely not a good situation. In Contrast ND will have 5 players on their roster with one of them being Brianna Turner one of the Top Recruits. ND is in great shape, especially considering they run a three guard offense.

One I'm hoping that A'ja signs with UConn as from all accounts she's a great player and she fills a definite need. However if she doesn't sign then Geno has serious depth problems in the front court. I don't think a team can win a National Championship with only three players 6'2" and one being questionable. The only help I can see Geno getting next year is if there was a 5th year senior or a JUCO player that would meet his requirements. Don't know if there's any Foreign Players that would be available. He's been reluctant in the past to go that route, but would it be for the best if he did next year. A player like Heather Buck would definitely help next year.

Your last line pushed you over the edge into lala land.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

2003-04 Women's Basketball Roster

NO.NAMEYR.POSITIONHTHOMETOWN/HIGH SCHOOL
2Ashley ValleyJr.G5-9Colchester, VT/Rice Memorial
3Diana TaurasiSr.G/F6-0Chino, CA/Don Lugo
5Maria ConlonSr.G5-9Derby, CT/Seymour
12Stacey MarronJr.G5-9Albuquerque, NM/La Cueva
20Morgan ValleySr.G6-0Colchester, VT/Rice Memorial
21Nicole WolffSo.G6-0Walpole, MA/Walpole
22Ashley Battle^Jr.F6-0Pittsburgh, PA/The Linsly School
23Willnett CrockettSo.F/C6-2Harbor City, CA/Narbonne
31Jessica Moore^Jr.C6-3Palmer, AK/Colony
33Barbara TurnerSo.F/G6-0Cleveland, OH/East Technical
43Ann StrotherSo.G6-2Castle Rock, CO/Highlands Ranch

2002-03 Women's Basketball Roster

NO.NAMEYR.POSITIONHTHOMETOWN/HIGH SCHOOL
2Ashley Valley*So.G5-9Colchester, VT/Rice Memorial
3Diana Taurasi**Jr.G/F6-0Chino, CA/Don Lugo
5Maria Conlon**Jr.G5-9Derby, CT/Seymour
12Stacey Marron*So.G5-9Albuquerque, NM/La Cueva
20Morgan Valley**Jr.G6-0Colchester, VT/Rice Memorial
21Nicole WolffFr.G6-0Walpole, MA/Walpole
22Ashley Battle*^So.F6-0Pittsburgh, PA/The Linsly School
23Willnett CrockettFr.F/C6-2Harbor City, CA/Narbonne
31Jessica Moore*^So.C6-3Palmer, AK/Colony
33Barbara TurnerFr.F/G6-0Cleveland, OH/East Technical
43Ann StrotherFr.G6-2Castle Rock, CO/Highlands Ranch

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Texas A&M won the national championship in 2011 with one player taller than 6-1 (Gilbert at 6-5) and she played about 10 minutes a game and even fewer minutes in the FF. The team A&M defeated for the championship, Notre Dame, had 2 players 6'2 or taller.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Perhaps Wilson will feel some adulation from the 13,000+ views of this thread. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I would take Geno and a group of walk-ons over most teams in the country. This little 'mating dance' feels eerily similar to the DD episode. Good luck to A'ja wherever she lands. The sun will come up in the east the following day and Geno will still be the UConn AND NATIONAL TEAM coach.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I am done. Not going to lament this one any longer. It's gonna be REAL tough if we don't land a big or two, but we all know that. Who says we have to win all the games every year all the time. We will always be contenders, as long as Geno is here...so I'm chilling on her. Hope she comes, but no more sweaty palms for me.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Your last line pushed you over the edge into lala land.

Tad harsh, Rocky: Heather was a solid defensive player, and could rebound. She matched up well against some top-flight posts (Griner). She had two difficulties: first, she played behind some powerful teammates (Tina and Stef), and, second, she never quite hit her stride on offense. But, just because you're 6'4', powerful, but not offensively smooth, doesn't make your value "into lala land". I believe Geno once made some comment, regarding Heather, "who do you think the rest of the team DOESN'T want to see playing them on defense?"

As a starter? Probably not, because Heather's offense was kinda weak. As a role player? Sure.

Having said that, Kiah is Heather +++. Better defender, better rebounder, better shot-blocker, and much greater upside offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom