John A. on Wilson | The Boneyard

John A. on Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"To each school, Wilson’s recruitment would be a coup. And to each school, she would represent something different, from a piece to a championship puzzle to the prized building block of a contender."

“What do I want? I’d say a combination of both,” Wilson said.

For me that is the most profound comment she's made concerning her decision. Sounds like she wants the best of both worlds, quite a dilemma!

Reaction Score
"To each school, Wilson’s recruitment would be a coup. And to each school, she would represent something different, from a piece to a championship puzzle to the prized building block of a contender."

For me that is the most profound comment she's made concerning her decision. Sounds like she wants the best of both worlds, quite a dilemma!

Honestly I think this means absolutely nothing. Everyday she is grilled about where she is going to college whether in school, on twitter, at basketball games and just about anywhere and everywhere she goes. She has remained so non committal about her decision and even goes to great lengths in every interview to make sure that her comments can not be construed as showing a liking towards any one school. This IMHO is nothing more than that.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think this means absolutely nothing. Everyday she is grilled about where she is going to college whether in school, on twitter, at basketball games and just about anywhere and everywhere she goes. She has remained so non committal about her decision and even goes to great lengths in every interview to make sure that her comments can not be construed as showing a liking towards any one school. This IMHO is nothing more than that.
Agree and don't expect an "answer" until she commits to the school of her choice.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well UConn has certainly laid out the welcome mat for her. UConn is UConn and there is nothing to sell. UConns record speaks for itself. With our present roster who some of our kids she has already placed with on Team USA and is friends with to our incoming class which sets up perfect for another march in march to another NC, Geno has everything in place for her to verbal. If she dosnt come to UConn then we will continue to look.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
a piece to a championship puzzle or the prized building block of a contender

Ok......so, where can you get a combination of both?

UNC - They will have a spectacular soph class and McDanial. She would be a piece of a championship contender. Not the prized building block.

USC - She would be the prized building block, but I don't believe a piece to a championship puzzle. Maybe an SEC championship.

UCONN - a piece of a championship puzzle. Two years as the favorite and maybe more. certainly not the prized building block.

I have no idea what her statement means in regards to her choice. As someone else said, we will just have to wait until she decides.

I do hope that being part of the 2014 #1 class with 4 incredible guards along with 2 years with her USA teammates and the #1 class of 2012 might be the most appealing.

Reaction Score
a piece to a championship puzzle or the prized building block of a contender

Ok.so, where can you get a combination of both?

UNC - They will have a spectacular soph class and McDanial. She would be a piece of a championship contender. Not the prized building block.

USC - She would be the prized building block, but I don't believe a piece to a championship puzzle. Maybe an SEC championship.

UCONN - a piece of a championship puzzle. Two years as the favorite and maybe more. certainly not the prized building block.

I have no idea what her statement means in regards to her choice. As someone else said, we will just have to wait until she decides.

I do hope that being part of the 2014 #1 class with 4 incredible guards along with 2 years with her USA teammates and the #1 class of 2012 might be the most appealing.
Agree with you mostly. Would have to clarify what she means by "prized building block." She would be one of the prized assets on the court as a freshman at Uconn and which could lead to being a/the featured player in successive years.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Agree with you mostly. Would have to clarify what she means by "prized building block." She would be one of the prized assets on the court as a freshman at Uconn and which could lead to being a/the featured player in successive years.
I focused on the word "the" in the comment "the prized building block".

Reaction Score

Can you spell, S O U T H C A R O L I N A.....

Reaction Score
I focused on the word "the" in the comment "the prized building block".

Me too. Does she want to be the superstar on a team of lesser talent (a la Delle Donne at Delaware)? I'm sure she'd win an SEC Championship at South Carolina...National Championship - not so much.

Reaction Score
The kid is under too much pressure to make a final choice and I am not sure she wants all the pressure of coming to UCONN.......USC is probably the right choice for this kid hearing what she is saying.......My father use to tell me either your in or our out........Shut down all interviews on colleges until to make a choice. Have fun!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree that 'reading tea leaves' with her is pretty meaningless and I think it is really because she does not yet know. (Same could be said for most HS recruits re trying to predict.)
As for the choice ...
I do think a lot of HS kids think in terms of the universe of their HS competition as far as the impact they or any one player can have on a program. Put a Wilson or DeShields or Stewart on any HS team in the country and they are likely to win their state title and be highly ranked nationally. Do the same at the college level and you can move the team up a notch but without adding the other good players around them and the coaching you are not going to make the team a league power let alone a national power. And the difference between skill/athleticism that works in HS vs. coaching and BB IQ that is required in college is very significant.

Reaction Score
Wilson wants to play the SF/3 position the only time she played a post position was with USA team, SC has set it up for her to come in a play the SF by picking up White as a PF and they got Coates this year as a C, no one knows where she will go but she is going to have to be coached

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think she's headed to South Carolina. She doesn't seem like a strong enough person to not swuccumb to the pressure to stay in state.
Actually, I think UCONN is in 3rd position because if not USC then I think it'll be UNC as they are right next door to SC and she can be a building block with title potential.

If she chooses either USC or UNC, she will be making a HUGE MISTAKE as she will be going to lesser academic universities than UCONN and also not gainign the benefits of COach AQ and the UCONN staff and the tremendous players in the program / family.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think she's headed to South Carolina. She doesn't seem like a strong enough person to not swuccumb to the pressure to stay in state.
Actually, I think UCONN is in 3rd position because if not USC then I think it'll be UNC as they are right next door to SC and she can be a building block with title potential.

If she chooses either USC or UNC, she will be making a HUGE MISTAKE as she will be going to lesser academic universities than UCONN and also not gainign the benefits of COach AQ and the UCONN staff and the tremendous players in the program / family.
I really don't understand why some posters feel the need to denigrate Wilson.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Wilson's statements are profound..... She states that(1) To each school her recruitment would be a coup. That lucky school would be getting the #1 recruit in the class of 2014.. I call that a coup . (2) And to each school she would represent something different. From a piece to a championship puzzle ; to the prized building block of a contender. " What do I want " she asks. "I'd say a combination of both." she states................And its a good thing she wants both.

UConn , from its recent history , is the only school that may be able to offer BOTH in the 4 years she will have to realize those dreams. At UConn she will be that coup, that cherry on top of the No.1 recruiting class in 2014. Initially she would be a prized piece to a championship puzzle led by seniors KML , Stokes , and Banks. Backed up by juniors Stewie , MoJeff , and Tuck for the 2015 NC. By her sophomore year she would be a prized building block of a NC contender led by Stewie , MoJeff , Tuck and Chong. A group with NC possibilities written all over them. And by her junior year she would be The main piece , The Leader of UConn's NC contender. Like DT , Maya , Charles , and Sue before her. Experience is another key when it comes to contending in conference play and nationally. UConn is light years ahead in this category with Geno and staff . Wilson will also be surrounded by highly regarded recruits Williams , Ekmark , Edwards , and Nurse.

At USC she would be a coup to a nationally ranked class in 2014 and an immediate building block to a contender. For a SEC championship. The question is whether enough talent will be placed around her to contend for a NC in her 4 years of competition.

At UT , again she would be a coup , a building block and make them a contender. But as of late UT hasn't proven that they can assemble enough talent around a super star to contend nationally on an annual basis. And now with legendary and experienced coach Pat Summitt retired the question becomes whether they will contend nationally within the 4 years that Wilson could be on UT's campus.

At UNC she again would be a coup and a piece to a championship puzzle. As she would be a coup to any roster. She would immediately raise UNC to championship contender on both levels ; Conference and nationally with the recent talent UNC has brought in over the last 2 years. And I can see that she could be the prize building block of a national contender with the 4 years of her play in WCBB.
But again UNC hasn't been able to dethrone Duke as ACC champions as of late. And now there is ND to contend with. An experienced coach also helps in seeking championships. With the recent illness of Hatchell , coaching is an issue as well.

A tough decision for Wilson for sure. But if she truly wants to be a piece of a championship puzzle and then the prized building block of an 'annual' contender , UConn is the proven school to provide all that she is looking for.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think Wilson's statements are profound..... She states that(1) To each school her recruitment would be a coup. That lucky school would be getting the #1 recruit in the class of 2014.. I call that a coup . (2) And to each school she would represent something different. From a piece to a championship puzzle ; to the prized building block of a contender. " What do I want " she asks. "I'd say a combination of both." she states......And its a good thing she wants both.

A clarification:

Wilson never stated that her recruitment would be a coup. The words I highlighted above are those of John Altavilla not Wilson. You appear to be falsely attributing those words to her.

Reaction Score
I don't consider myself an avid follower of recruiting, but I do pay attention to it.

And if there's one thing I've learned, it's this: don't try to read the tea leaves of a 17- or 18-year-old's comment.

The only thing you'll accomplish is giving yourself a headache.

arch

Reaction Score
UNC is one of the premier public universities in the country. UConn aspires to be a UNC. But agree UNC would be a mistake for a kid looking for championships.

Reaction Score
UNC is one of the premier public universities in the country. UConn aspires to be a UNC. But agree UNC would be a mistake for a kid looking for championships.

While FASTEDDY's post wasn't altogether correct, UNC is only 14 spots above UCONN. And I think UNC's recent academic scandals have put questions in many peoples' minds regarding their academic prestige.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
While FASTEDDY's post wasn't altogether correct, UNC is only 14 spots above UCONN. And I think UNC's recent academic scandals have put questions in many peoples' minds regarding their academic prestige.

It is almost as difficult to gain acceptance to UNC as it is to Ivies if you are out of state...never ceases to amaze me how confidently uniformed some BoneYarders are.

Reaction Score
It is almost as difficult to gain acceptance to UNC as it is to Ivies if you are out of state ***** ...never ceases to amaze me how confidently uniformed some BoneYarders are.

You forgot:

***** Unless you're a student-athlete (then community college acceptance standards apply).

Reaction Score
I really don't understand why some posters feel the need to denigrate Wilson.

I'm not knocking Wilson just stating she IS UNDER A LOT OF PRESSURE BY LOCALS TO STAY IN THE AREA ON ATTEND usc AND IF NOT THERE, THEN to attend the other local choice of UNC. (I hit the caps button by accident)

That kind of intense pressure by everyone from friends, family, etc is a lot for ANYONE and I just don't necessarily think she is so strong as to rise above it and go to the school that is furthest away. I certainly hope she does go to UCONN but will be really surprised if she does. UCONN is the CLEAR CHOICE from a COMBINED academic and women's bbal perspective. I think she hasn;t made the decision as of yet becuase of all the pressure she is under.

Anyway, its jsut my opinion and not a knock on Wilson.

Last edited:

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I think that she will choose USC, her home state university. She has chosen them to be last in her school visit schedule... Gut instinct tells me being last leaves USC as the most recent impression in her and her parents memory... It also gives the USC coaches and players an opportunity to get their last pitches in with her...

Reaction Score

UCONN is rising faster academically than you think. UNC academic scandals have taken quite a bit of shine off of their rep. By the way, its hard to get into UCON if you are out of state as well. You better be a REALLY GOOD STUDENT to get into UCONN (STORRS). Sometimes our selectivity ranking goes down b/c we have multiple branches (Hfd, Wtby, AP) that area ll under the UCONN name and some of thise students are not quite at the super high level that UCONN STORRS students are at right out of high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom