John A. on Wilson | Page 8 | The Boneyard

John A. on Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
pinotbear said:
Tad harsh, Rocky: Heather was a solid defensive player, and could rebound. She matched up well against some top-flight posts (Griner). She had two difficulties: first, she played behind some powerful teammates (Tina and Stef), and, second, she never quite hit her stride on offense. But, just because you're 6'4', powerful, but not offensively smooth, doesn't make your value "into lala land". I believe Geno once made some comment, regarding Heather, "who do you think the rest of the team DOESN'T want to see playing them on defense?"

As a starter? Probably not, because Heather's offense was kinda weak. As a role player? Sure.

Having said that, Kiah is Heather +++. Better defender, better rebounder, better shot-blocker, and much greater upside offensively.

One thing that HB was better at than Kiah was rooting players out of the post and utilizing her (substantial) lower body strength to box out. Heather was a beast against big bodies.

Kiah gets better at boxing out as time goes by, but she is still somewhat inconsistent on that. She has better timing and instincts for rebounds in the air, and her tenacity is much improved too. Superior rebounder overall, though not by a huge margin IMO. Not to mention all the other things you mentioned that she has on Hearher.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I didn't mean to insult Heather if some took it that way. What I probably should have said is for Geno to get a Post type player that could provide 6 - 10 minutes a game and not mentioned Heather's name.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tad harsh, Rocky: Heather was a solid defensive player, and could rebound. She matched up well against some top-flight posts (Griner). She had two difficulties: first, she played behind some powerful teammates (Tina and Stef), and, second, she never quite hit her stride on offense. But, just because you're 6'4', powerful, but not offensively smooth, doesn't make your value "into lala land". I believe Geno once made some comment, regarding Heather, "who do you think the rest of the team DOESN'T want to see playing them on defense?"

As a starter? Probably not, because Heather's offense was kinda weak. As a role player? Sure.

Having said that, Kiah is Heather +++. Better defender, better rebounder, better shot-blocker, and much greater upside offensively.

Guess that's my theme for the month: Tad harsh. All I meant by that was that if you were reaching out for a big it would not be Heather, sweet a girl as she was; terrific a practice player as she was. I loved her steal and score in the final last year. But, would I pick her up when my team was getting light, No. I don't think that is harsh.

Reaction Score

Kinda weak, it was non existent against any good team.

Reaction Score
We have a great freshman class coming in. With Stewie, Moriah and KML, Uconn will be favored to win another NC. I hope Wilson decides on the best basketball program in the U.S. but if she doesn't we will still win our third consecututive NC.

Reaction Score
I have never known UCONN to use that type of manufactured gimmickry.

Let us be fair; we do-- 'First Night' has that effect! Muffet is tweeting and her players actively recruit for the school by tweeting recruits. I must admit however that recruiting at Uconn appears to be a coach's domain, although a player can say what she wants to a visiting recruit. Samuelson was cited here as talking to KML about her experiences at Conn, probably because they have the same hs in common.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let us be fair; we do-- 'First Night' has that effect! Muffet is tweeting and her players actively recruit for the school by tweeting recruits. I must admit however that recruiting at Uconn appears to be a coach's domain, although a player can say what she wants to a visiting recruit. Samuelson was cited here as talking to KML about her experiences at Conn, probably because they have the same hs in common.
First night is vastly different than what occurred at USC. It is not specifically aimed at any individual recruit. It is this is UCONN and who we are if you like it we'll be here. The compliance official has taken action to reduce every type of direct appeal to recruits directly. First night is if you come here you will be part of a team and a group that has fun, is loved by the fans, and loves basketball.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You only get one chance when it comes to going to college. For those who choose UConn the privilege is unique. The bar is set high and the accomplishes are unmatched. The opportunity to play for UConn and become part of those accomplishments is a once in a lifetime chance. Once a recruit chooses someplace else for what ever reason those opportunities to go to the FF win a NC play as an Olympian are lessened.

When you look at the recruits that have gone elsewhere. Many have had steller careers, and most never won a a NC. Look over the years the decommits to UConn, the kids that went elsewhere and what did they win? Did they win a conference championship? A NC and how many? The opportunity to do something special in your life and comes very few times. The chance to be somebody special comes very few times also. Those who go elsewhere when they look at the polls the view never changes. Most times theyre always looking up the polls at UConn and that hasn't changed in quite a few years and as long as Geno is there it wont because UConn is established.

For me the chance to learn from the best, play with the best and have the opportunity to accomplish everything you've dreamed is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Why do you think Lebron went to Miami? It wasn't for the bright sunshine or to stay warm. It was to win championships. When I see great players go to mediocre teams I have to wonder why? Why would they deny themselves the opportunity. When you look at those great players and perhaps they win one NC or none and maybe one conference championship or none I ask myself why?

For those of you who are worried about UConn being able to compete with other teams if we don't get all the kids were recruiting don't worry. We won 4-5 games in a row against top teams this season without KML and Tuck and we did most of that on the road convincingly. Maybe we wont beat those teams by 20+ but we will continue to be a top team and beat those teams. Yes it would be great to have all the kids we're recruiting but we've proven we don't need them to win NCs and go to the FF.

For the recruits looking at UConn maybe the pressure is to much. Maybe its more important for them to go someplace else. We have no control over that. If that's what they want fine. We will continue to roll and we need not worry. They only time we will worry is when Geno retires. That will be the one recruit that could change our path to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom